PDA

View Full Version : West Kootenays Elk Hunt

lank1234
03-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Hey all,

After reading through many great discussions on this website I decided to make my first post to this forum. I live in the Okanagan but would like to head east for an elk hunt this season. I understand there are some elk (rare but still some) around my neck of the woods (princeton, little white, connector etc.), but Id love to get away for a few days and get into an area that has a higher elk density. Im also expecting to be joined by the many other hunters heading east once the season rolls around. Let me start off by saying i'm not looking for GPS coordinates to a nice bull. I am more curious about how far west are elk found in any decent numbers and would you guys recommend trying closer to the border or heading a bit north? I am a young guy and im not afraid of a hike and backpack hunt if it means i can be away from the crowds. Any areas you may recommend? Im also relatively new to hunting elk so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I understand this is a cliche first post and im not looking to piss anyone off, just trying to gain some knowledge and this seemed like a great place

OutWest
03-30-2016, 07:11 PM
Good call on heading to R4. It is a tough go for elk locally - lots of hunters, not a pile of elk. It only gets better the further east you go from Christina Lake.

goinghunting
03-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Theres elk in region 4, the farther east you go the better the numbers. You want real elk numbers go north young man!

HarryToolips
03-30-2016, 09:19 PM
Since when is/was there elk up the Connector???....Going hunting has it right, more elk the further east you go...

lank1234
03-31-2016, 09:28 AM
Theres elk in region 4, the farther east you go the better the numbers. You want real elk numbers go north young man!

When you say go north what exactly are you meaning? Like jasper area?

Brez
03-31-2016, 09:31 AM
Ft St John and area. Fly in or jet boat. I know guys from Nelson that go there rather than the gong show around here. Up there, lots of elk, not so many people - apparently.

lank1234
03-31-2016, 09:32 AM
I've never seen any up there but I've heard they are around those parts. Probably in small numbers mind you

lank1234
03-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Ah I see, may have to look into that option as well. I'd prefer to get away from the crowds. Thanks!

BgBlkDg
03-31-2016, 09:43 AM
Ft St John and area. Fly in or jet boat. I know guys from Nelson that go there rather than the gong show around here. Up there, lots of elk, not so many people - apparently.

There are LOTS of BIG bulls in the WK, although the numbers are down a lot from Wolf and some other predation.

The PROBLEM is the VERY rugged terrain, heavy forest cover to around 7000 ft. and the mild climate which results in legal bulls staying high in the toughest spots until past the end of the season.

Then, there is the private land issue, much of this is owned by Doukhobors and Yankee Draft Dodgers and other newcomers, so, we cannot hunt on it as we did in the '60s.

One of the most successful Nelson hunters is my cousin, but, he is younger than I and not gimped up like me. He has some huge racks at home and gets a bull almost every year.

Do your research, get to know some locals and GET IN SHAPE and you might score.

J_T
03-31-2016, 09:48 AM
For the OP, it comes down to, do you want to see elk, more elk? Or hunt elk and have opportunity to harvest elk? Seeing more elk, doesn't always mean the opportunity to kill is better.

In my experience the best thing you can do is find an area, that is within reach of your home, and access it as frequently as you can. You must almost live in elk country to watch them and understand them. Find a pocket and spend a lot of time there.

Success isn't based on finding lots of elk (West Kootenay vs East Kootenay). Success is based on knowing what to do, once you find them. Knowing the terrain and their movement patterns comes from spending a lot of time in a particular spot.

Of course there are those lucky one off opportunities when you just happen to find something. But you don't want to be a road hunter exploring country during the open season. You want to be doing that well in advance of the hunting season.

goinghunting
03-31-2016, 12:18 PM

basically the peace river area or a fly in around the kechika river. Its a different world up there huge elk numbers and very few hunters. anywhere in region 4 that has a decent elk population gets hammered just as bad as region 8. So unless you want to hunt fringe population area's which it doesn't sound like you want to or battle insane crowds then the north is a great option.

Mikey Rafiki
03-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Yes, go north. Everybody please go north or they will have to 4 lane the Bull River FSR.

monasheemountainman
03-31-2016, 12:26 PM
Yes you should go hunt jasper lots of cranker Bulls and they hangout right by the road

goinghunting
03-31-2016, 12:31 PM
agreed! if you can figure out how to chase them out of the park that's the spot!

Seeker
03-31-2016, 12:48 PM
You seem to know where the elk are already. I don't mean this in a negative way, but hunter's in general ( this site will verify) will not give you more than a very general location. I am no different. Elk are a very coveted animal and they are limited in the South so people tend to want to keep there "honey holes" as far a way from anyones radar as possible. That being said, you already have some locations to start looking and if you get out there, you will find elk. From past experience, I head to a new spot based on rumour, stories, sightings etc, disect the area using google earth and then head to the area for scouting and locating of the animals. Trail cameras help. It is the best way to be in a good position for the season and at least gives you an idea of where to start. Now, that being said, with the pressure the animals receive in the first week, their patterns will likely change after the initial surge of hunters infiltrates the woods, but it also provides an opportunity to learn where they go (or don't go) when that pressure is present and to adjust accordingly. Nothing can replace being in the woods when it comes to putting the pieces together. I went to a new spot last year and saw only one small spiker in a week, but from what I learned in that week, I know if I were to go back again this year, my sightings and encounters would certainly improve. Good luck.

browningboy
03-31-2016, 09:48 PM
basically the peace river area or a fly in around the kechika river. Its a different world up there huge elk numbers and very few hunters. anywhere in region 4 that has a decent elk population gets hammered just as bad as region 8. So unless you want to hunt fringe population area's which it doesn't sound like you want to or battle insane crowds then the north is a great option.

Really? Have you've been to the boat launch at fireside? It's packed, up north has its issues, first off the heat vs the openings the last few years, there's a lot of people up there as well, even up the rivers by jetboat! The only hints that are quiet would be fly in otherwise expect others like everywhere else, just in slightly smaller numbers

goinghunting
04-01-2016, 05:08 AM
Really? Have you've been to the boat launch at fireside? It's packed, up north has its issues, first off the heat vs the openings the last few years, there's a lot of people up there as well, even up the rivers by jetboat! The only hints that are quiet would be fly in otherwise expect others like everywhere else, just in slightly smaller numbers

Thats why I said to fly in.

Brambles
04-01-2016, 08:08 AM
There are LOTS of BIG bulls in the WK, although the numbers are down a lot from Wolf and some other predation.

The PROBLEM is the VERY rugged terrain, heavy forest cover to around 7000 ft. and the mild climate which results in legal bulls staying high in the toughest spots until past the end of the season.

Then, there is the private land issue, much of this is owned by Doukhobors and Yankee Draft Dodgers and other newcomers, so, we cannot hunt on it as we did in the '60s.

One of the most successful Nelson hunters is my cousin, but, he is younger than I and not gimped up like me. He has some huge racks at home and gets a bull almost every year.

Do your research, get to know some locals and GET IN SHAPE and you might score.

Elk populations are down significantly over the years.....id replace "LOTS" with "Some"....the rest of the info I agree with. The thick bush is what really limits your success combined with often unsettled wind patterns. I've had lots of elk within 50 yards and never caught a glimpse of them, hell sometimes 10 yards is even tough to make em out let alone count to 6.

For the OP, it comes down to, do you want to see elk, more elk? Or hunt elk and have opportunity to harvest elk? Seeing more elk, doesn't always mean the opportunity to kill is better.

In my experience the best thing you can do is find an area, that is within reach of your home, and access it as frequently as you can. You must almost live in elk country to watch them and understand them. Find a pocket and spend a lot of time there.

Success isn't based on finding lots of elk (West Kootenay vs East Kootenay). Success is based on knowing what to do, once you find them. Knowing the terrain and their movement patterns comes from spending a lot of time in a particular spot.

Of course there are those lucky one off opportunities when you just happen to find something. But you don't want to be a road hunter exploring country during the open season. You want to be doing that well in advance of the hunting season.

I agree, I spend 36 out of the 50 day elk season chasing them last year and still couldn't seal the deal. Time to head further east again for another double header where you can shoot an elk at 200 yards and always seems to be an access road nearby...
Spending as much time in a spot is your best bet, a place you can hit multiple times and learn the area vs a blind one shot trip....

BgBlkDg
04-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Note my first sentence.

However, in a lifetime's hunting context, the next season will be my 52nd, shot my first WT. in the Lardeau in 1964, aged 18, there ARE more big Elk now than during most of that time. The peak numbers seem to have been in the 1990s and early 2000s, but, compared with much of BC, there are lots still there.

I can think of several spots within 50 miles of Nelson, where I see good bulls or fresh sign thereof, every time I come home. But, seeing ain't always getting, eh.

WKCotts
04-01-2016, 09:47 PM
What's a "good" bull?
Note my first sentence.

However, in a lifetime's hunting context, the next season will be my 52nd, shot my first WT. in the Lardeau in 1964, aged 18, there ARE more big Elk now than during most of that time. The peak numbers seem to have been in the 1990s and early 2000s, but, compared with much of BC, there are lots still there.

I can think of several spots within 50 miles of Nelson, where I see good bulls or fresh sign thereof, every time I come home. But, seeing ain't always getting, eh.

OutWest
04-02-2016, 09:00 AM
What's a "good" bull?

Think something like yer bull would classify for most guys :)

WKCotts
04-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Think something like yer bull would classify for most guys :)

I agree, that was a good bull. Short main beams tho lol

Wrayzer
04-02-2016, 06:11 PM
I agree, that was a good bull. Short main beams tho lol
Yeah, with beams like those you should have passed on him... ;)

okas
04-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Yes you should go hunt jasper lots of cranker Bulls and they hangout right by the road
goat river rd, ha ha

okas
04-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Yes, go north. Everybody please go north or they will have to 4 lane the Bull River FSR.
missed it as the BULL RIVER rd.
and the GOAT RIVER rd. you can come out at PERRY creek

Rhyno
04-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Elk populations are down significantly over the years.....id replace "LOTS" with "Some"....the rest of the info I agree with. The thick bush is what really limits your success combined with often unsettled wind patterns. I've had lots of elk within 50 yards and never caught a glimpse of them, hell sometimes 10 yards is even tough to make em out let alone count to 6.

I agree, I spend 36 out of the 50 day elk season chasing them last year and still couldn't seal the deal. Time to head further east again for another double header where you can shoot an elk at 200 yards and always seems to be an access road nearby...
Spending as much time in a spot is your best bet, a place you can hit multiple times and learn the area vs a blind one shot trip....

Yeah you can't drive past a cut block without at least one 6 point in it around here;-)

Agree with sticking to one spot and learning it!

lank1234
04-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will definitely try and find some elk closer to home since then ill be able to learn the herds and get some form of a pattern. Much appreciated!