PDA

View Full Version : .17 hmr info wanted

deerslayer
06-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I've searched the hbc site and cannot find any info on the .17 hmr. I've looked up info on this calibre from other sites. From reading other threads, the members of hbc seem to pretty knowledgable on hunting/firearms. My questions are: Does anyone have any usefull info from owning/shooting a 17 hmr? I'm looking to buy a savage in this calibre and want to use it mostly on rabitts, grouse, gophers, and coyotes. Was wondering what kind of range would be acceptable for coyotes with 17 grn/20 grn. Is a heavy target barrel any more accurate in the field where I won't be shooting off a bag rest. Was thinking it might be a little better at the end of the day using a light barrel. Any info/ advice would be welcome. Looking forward to having an extended range rimfire. Was wondering if I should put a high powered scope on it as well or if a regular 3-9 or fixed 4 would be adequate. Thanks to all who write in.

tracker
06-03-2007, 04:14 PM
once you get a 17 hmr you will throw all your 22 cals away!!!!!:wink::wink:

I was out on the weekend shooting gophers out to 150 yards with no hold over with my marlin 917vsf .Alot of carnage from the 17 gr v max bullets too.The gun is a constent tack driver!!!

Never shot a coyote with it,but a head shot might be the way to go there at no more than 75 yards.Sure rips marmots a new A hole though.:-D

I have a 3x9 world class tasco on mine and seems to be a great scope for the gun .

Here is the bad thing about the 17hmr , bullets cost from 11 bucks to 14 per 50 pack.but still worth the fun for me.

Its definantly a no brainer rimfire puchase for me.goodluck8)

brotherjack
06-03-2007, 06:21 PM
It's a caliber I would call pretty light for Coyotes, but if you shoot the 20grain XTP's, and keep em inside 100 yards I'd say it's do-able. I would not at all recommend using the plastic tipped 17 grain bullets on a coyote - they're prone to shatter and not penetrate much.

Othewise, the 17HMR is a goregous caliber. You'll throw rocks at your 22 after you get used to the HMR - it's just in a whole other league of accuracy and power.

For smaller varmints than coyotes, you ability to shoot accurately will probably determine the range's you can shoot to. 200+ yards is not unheard of on small game/varmint's.

I have a CZ 452 Varmint in 17HMR, and it's my go-to rimfire rifle, bar none. It's the most accurate rifle I own.

I say get one; you'll like it!

25tikka
06-03-2007, 07:07 PM
I have a savage 17 and it is very accurate. I also have a marlin HB that is more accurate than the savage off the bench (1 tiny hole 5 shot @50 yds) but off hand the savage is just as good as I am...probably better. Maybe I just need more practice......either way you can not go wrong. Coyotes at 100 yd no prablem with the 20 gr game point with a decent shot. We do grouse out past 100 yrds with a bipod......too much fun

Ian F.
06-03-2007, 07:33 PM
I've been jonesing a semi for a bit and have done a bunch or research... basically it's the Remington 597 or custom, the 10/17 never really got off the ground. The biggest hit for the rem is the trigger pull, but you can buy an after market part from Varlquarson (Sp?) for $35 that brings it down to 2-3lbs. Everything I've read about the caliber says it's phenomenal, and the choice of gun in not as foggy as other calibers simply because it is so accurate. If you haven't take a look at chuckhawks.com.

Very best,

ian

brotherjack
06-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I'd do a custom 10/17 if I wanted a semi-auto for the same reasons most folks would take a 10/22 over most other semi's (good action, fun to tinker with, gobs of aftermarket parts available, hi-capacity mags, etc).

Oh, and my thougts on a heavy barrel are that it makes the gun easier to hold steady and tends to be more accurate (though that's a tendency, not a hard fast rule), but it does make it harder to pack around; so you compromise either way. Pick which one you can best live with. I own a heavy barrel and just suck it up and pack the 9lb thing around.

Hooked
06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Check this 4um out for info on the 17hmr.

http://17hmr.net/phpbb/

I've got a CZ452 as well and it is a fun gun/calibre...almost as much fun as my 204 Ruger.

Brian

steel_ram
06-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Just for the heck of it I bought a relatively inexpensive Savage with the new trigger to play with. At 100 yards it's at least 1 MOA with all offerings I've tried. I've used ammo from four labels but believe they are all loaded by CCI using two different bullet types. The same scope settings can't be used for the two bullets, they impact significantly different.

Dialing about 5 mins onto the scope I'm grouping about 3" at 200 yards. I haven't managed to get a windless day yet however. At that range the 20gr plastic tipped bullets blue a silver dollar sized exit hole out of a large ripe grapefruit.

Haven't shot any critters yet, but would bet a well placed shot on a coyote would do the shot. Probably a broadsized double lunger with minimum bone impact.

moose hunter
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
i have the stainless heavy barrel 17hmr from savage, this gun is amazing and you dont even need to headshot a coyote any shot in the vitals under 100 yards will turn its inside to soup, and for scopes i have a 24x on mine great for target shooting at 200 yards and killing thos pesky moquitos:D

deerslayer
06-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the input. Two more questions. Are tasco scopes any good? They seem to be in a lower price range and I would be interested in them if I had a couple of endorsements from guys who have used them. Also, are mil-dot scopes a good choice to put on a 17 hmr or would a reg multiX be just as good? Thanks again. I put in my order for a Savage yesterday.

moose hunter
06-05-2007, 09:49 PM
i hqave the savage and i got a tasco 6-24 mildot on it, what are the odds, it works good for me doesnt get knocked out.