PDA

View Full Version : True or false Stories of black bear harvested

b.c hunter 88
03-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Hello Everyone

I'm shut down due to no wood to haul and getting exited to spring bear hunt only a few days till it opens.
A wile back i guess 3 years ago A guy told me about a monster black bear shot out of 2-12 far end of goat lake in the valley wear bear camp took place.
I know this is over made but its said this bear was close to 10 feet and yes black bear. i took a bear off rainbow main a few years back that was 7.4 feet and since its low numbers hunt i do believe there could be some even bigger monsters back their. I wanna hear about the monsters that get harvested or even just stories or rumors and see maybe others hear the same stories. Average the bears i have shot and seen are 6 to 6.5 foot range.
I will be hunting Vancouver Island this year would be cool to hear about the monsters that you don't hear much about from all over the province.
Please share rumors and stories.

Gateholio
03-25-2016, 10:36 PM
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/biggest-black-bears-youll-see-today-slideshow/

Ferenc
03-25-2016, 10:43 PM
Look up.. Winston the legendary Bear...and good read even though it's not a black bear.

Camp Cook
03-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Looked up Winston = around the time that Winston was in the Chilliwack Valley I was hiking in the alpine up Airplane creek and spotted the biggest grizzly I had ever seen.

Now I'm wondering if that bear was Winston. :)

srupp
03-26-2016, 12:32 AM
Hmm 40 years of black bear hunting. .best day 30 different bear sightings...maeford lake area..cunningham pass.
Biggest black bear 8 feet..completely covered a 4x8 sheet plywood..seen 2 or 3 bears over the years that came to thst 8 foot size..one was harvested and was indeed 8 foot..Susan saw this brute also..
They get heavier but not much longer ie over8 feet..the heavy ones..salmon fed or grain fed..
For off color black bears..7 foot seems upper limit...ie brown, red, blond, chocolat..with Horsefly area having 40% of its bears being off color..the off color bears dont gown nearly as big
Having a 8 foot bear is like meeting a 7 foot human..they exist..however they arnt common..genetics..food....and isolatipn for some quality age..
My guess is head towards Quesnel lake. ..anywhere near its shores..especially in fall..the salmon feast allows lots of protein..easy pickens..great weight addition..no stress no fighting..cept with g bears..but lots of salmon..will help each years growth and year after year cumulitive growth.
Cheers
Steven

ACE
03-26-2016, 04:57 AM
Agree with Steven ....
Have hunted them for four decades, and the largest was 8 ft.
Body weights vary greatly.
A 6 1/2 ft. with 19"+ is more realistic. ......
But, you just never know .....
Good luck !

Down South
03-26-2016, 05:53 AM
Never would have thought a 8ft black bear wondered the bush, kinda makes a me want to give my gun a hug

Ambush
03-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Are you guys talking squared [and measured properly] or nose to tail, in the round?

fuzzybiscuit
03-26-2016, 07:10 AM
Are you guys talking squared [and measured properly] or nose to tail, in the round?

I think the one the OP was talking about must have been hooked between 2 quads going in opposite directions. Lol.

8 footers do exist. I got one in 1998 on Nootka Island. 20 3/8 skull after drying.

But, I used to hang with a bunch of guys that shot a lot of bears over the years and that one was bigger in both body and noggin than any other one we got. So they are rare.

sawmill
03-29-2016, 12:11 PM

My biggest was 7 foot 2 inch measured properly. And he looked like a black Volkswagon beetle when I shot him. Biggest griz was 9 feet and a bit. The one I chickened out on was bigger and 10 yards away. A .270 just did not seem enough at that range. Scared my buddy so bad he locked the doors on the truck so I couldn`t get out. I gave him shit but I was secretly glad.

tuner
03-29-2016, 01:00 PM
A 7' black bear is an awesome trophy by any standard.

moosinaround
03-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Last 2 springs I have been in on a 6'11" bear, and a 7'4" black bear! Big critters!! Couldn't imagine a 8'er, it'd be stinkin huge!!! Moosin

srupp
03-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Proper measurement..nplus Brown properWhen doing the squaring measurement bears usually are wider..ie front left to front right paw tips..claws than nose to tail measurement..
Lots of variance in weights..but if black bears get bigger than 8 feet I have yet to see it in the woods or in photos..
Biggest BC grizzlies I have been involved with have been over 9 feet..numerous bears both interior and coastal..
I harvested a 7 foot plus brown phased black bear..biggest color phased black bear...I posted its photo on this site..mothers day black bear...Tims 9 foot plus grizzly is posted here somewhere also..
Cheers
Steven

Ambush
03-29-2016, 05:21 PM
One of the Smithers taxidermists had for years a standing offer that he would life size mount, for free, any honest nine foot interior grizzly.

He never had to do one and never saw one.

I should also note that he did CI's and took in quite a bit of work from GO's.

RiverOtter
03-29-2016, 06:20 PM
One of the Smithers taxidermists had for years a standing offer that he would life size mount, for free, any honest nine foot interior grizzly.

He never had to do one and never saw one.

I should also note that he did CI's and took in quite a bit of work from GO's.
Actually, I believe he did end up doing "1". Was a problem bear that got snagged by a foot snare, set by CO's. When they arrived on scene the bear started lunging and actually broke free; eating a bullet for his efforts. I believe the bear is on display in the Smithers airport???

Anywho, going from memory, I believe it was written in one of Jack Boudreau's books......

RiverOtter
03-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Best I've done on an interior black is 7'1" squared. Shot quite a few in the 6' to 6'6" range, but nothing approaching 8', though I'm always looking...... 8)

Ambush
03-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Actually, I believe he did end up doing "1". Was a problem bear that got snagged by a foot snare, set by CO's. When they arrived on scene the bear started lunging and actually broke free; eating a bullet for his efforts. I believe the bear is on display in the Smithers airport???.

Right on all accounts, except it was quite a few bullets. The Hungry Hill cattle killer.

I've stopped and looked at that bear a number of times [the one in Houston to]. The thing is huge, but I don't think he's nine feet.

Bears and fish all seem to grow when there is no scale or tape measure around.:-P :mrgreen:

fireguy
03-29-2016, 09:22 PM
My biggest black bear squared an honest 7 and a half

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Scan_Pic0005_-_Copy.jpg

fireguy
03-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Not a black bear but this one went 8 1/2, just because its almost bear season and pictures are good to look at.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Scan_Pic0002.jpg

scotty30-06
03-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Love the pics guys....keep them coming

scotty30-06
03-29-2016, 10:34 PM
What are some of your best way to get a bear cooled down after a shot....kinda time frame do you normally have before spoilage starts

hoochie
03-30-2016, 08:55 AM
I have always found it interesting that people sit behind the bear when they take their picture with it. The perspective can be way off, and make the object in the foreground ( the bear) much larger than the object in the background ( the person). Also, the size of the person can even make the bear look larger.
There were a few pictures posted where you could clearly see a smaller woman, and another picture of a woman that to me, was clearly a few feet behind the bear.
No doubt there can be large bears, but I think the pictures are a bit deceiving as far as perspective goes.
I am trying hard to recall any time I have seen a person take a picture in this manner; other than with a bear.
funny how they do that.

wideopenthrottle
03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
I have always found it interesting that people sit behind the bear when they take their picture with it. The perspective can be way off, and make the object in the foreground ( the bear) much larger than the object in the background ( the person). Also, the size of the person can even make the bear look larger.
There were a few pictures posted where you could clearly see a smaller woman, and another picture of a woman that to me, was clearly a few feet behind the bear.
No doubt there can be large bears, but I think the pictures are a bit deceiving as far as perspective goes.
I am trying hard to recall any time I have seen a person take a picture in this manner; other than with a bear.
funny how they do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9gFRXw5-kI

check out the part right after the opening duck call scene where "it's all about the angle"...hillarious

RiverOtter
03-30-2016, 04:49 PM
funny how they do that.
If the bear has the look of a big bear it can make an interesting picture. When someone is trying to turn a 5 1/2 footer into a 7 footer, via camera tricks, it's pretty freakin' funny.

Mickey Mouse ears and pointy snouts are tough to "fix".......:mrgreen:

srupp
03-30-2016, 05:03 PM
Sheeeet the whole video was hilarious..the guy gargling with doe in rut pee for scentcover up..funny..
Steven

b.c hunter 88
03-31-2016, 07:34 PM
thanks guys been a rough week laid off again but hey bear hunting starts tomorrow supper exited

rattling_junkie
04-01-2016, 07:49 PM

Guiding and hunting in Manitoba I have only seen 2 bears that ended up measuring 7 ft. on the round. The measurements that I take are always square, though I'll get a round measurement if I can. These measurements aren't fool proof, but they give a good indication of size. The bear I took last year measured 7'3 sq. and I took a nice color phase that was over 7' sq, though didn't have the tape measure for that one.

sae
04-02-2016, 08:39 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5735&stc=1Crapy photo but this is all I have, it is an true 8'2" square

Busterpayton54
04-02-2016, 11:25 PM
I really wish I knew the stats on this bear that was hanging around east maple ridge. I lived up on thorn hill, heard a racket outside, looked out the window and saw a bear in the garbage can. (It was empty) well this thing dwarfed it. The can was 1/4 its size. I scared it off, it ran past my India civic with the can in its mouth. It's back was almost as tall as my cars roof.

A while later more racket. It's back, but this time under the drive through patio, on its hind legs sniffing a stack of boxes. It's head was right on par with the stringers, about 8 feet or so.

I figured this had to be a 550-600lb black.

so some time passes, I mention it to my aunt that lives in Wilson. The C0's setup a trap for a bear they estimated up to 650! Obviously the same bear.

Mention it to my uncle who's a rather serious hunter, killed a few bears. He's seen what he swears as a 600lb black near the jail. Same bear.

My father works for the city and also a serious hunter, also killed a few bears. He gets Called out to pick up a dead bear, hit by a car. He figured it was around 600. 2 guys could not load it into the pickup, they had to call in a hoe operator to come get it.

Not gonna lie, the night it was snooping around my house, and my bedroom/patio are ground level with only a sliding glass window between us, I had thoughts of John candy and the great out doors. this bear
looked to be about the same size as that movie bear too.

Inreally wish there was stats stats on this bear. Or even pictures.

olympia
04-03-2016, 12:23 AM
Gatehouse, I didn't read all the posts on this thread but did you post that big ******* you shot in Harrison one year. I think it was Harrison at least.

scotty30-06
04-06-2016, 11:31 PM
I have seen some real big bears up in Harrison....not a huge amount of them but the ones I saw where a real scale tipper

Pre '64
04-11-2016, 05:16 AM
Right on all accounts, except it was quite a few bullets. The Hungry Hill cattle killer.

I've stopped and looked at that bear a number of times [the one in Houston to]. The thing is huge, but I don't think he's nine feet.

Bears and fish all seem to grow when there is no scale or tape measure around.:-P :mrgreen:

Here's the Outdoor Life story on this bear. I have no idea of how accurate the account is.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/jon-farley/2007/09/phantom-hungry-hill

ACE
04-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Here's the Outdoor Life story on this bear. I have no idea of how accurate the account is.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/jon-farley/2007/09/phantom-hungry-hill

Interesting story ...... any follow-up with a weight, age, body measurements, and old wounds/abnormalities ?

two-feet
04-11-2016, 07:29 AM
That bear is 9ish feet and 1000 lbs, the one on display in houston was its son or father (cant remember which), a third big one in the same area got peppered in the face with 00buck and ran off never to be seen again, and i saw a lunker on a friends trail cam. Large bears in that hungry hill area

happyhunter
04-11-2016, 05:31 PM
funny how they do that.

Very true. Take my avatar for example lol I should point out though that I am kneeling on the bear.

HarryToolips
04-11-2016, 07:35 PM
It makes sense that a black bear can reach 1000 lbs, they are just bush pigs, if there's a food source, they will continue to eat and eat..

RiverOtter
04-11-2016, 08:46 PM
That was a grizz. Pretty sure a black has never hit 1K........

walks with deer
04-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Sorry call me daft I have shot many bears bow and gun I know how to measure skulls and have pushed the 20 inch mark many times but how do you Calc length.

ACE
04-12-2016, 04:46 AM
Sorry call me daft I have shot many bears bow and gun I know how to measure skulls and have pushed the 20 inch mark many times but how do you Calc length.

Others may dis-agree ......
Nose to tail tip 'in the round' ....... as the bear was when alive, is a true measurement.
Once the hide is off, that hide can be any measurement you want it to be.

A table saw with a fence is an easy and precise way to measure skulls. Remember to put a one inch spacer under the canines when doing the 'length' measurement.

RiverOtter
04-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Agree that in the round is the most "honest" measurement, but a measurement with hide intact will always be well shy of a skinned/squared measure. Bears are wider than they are long, when layed out flat/"relaxed" and the hide is a lot more stretchy when detached from the carcass.

Problem with tape measures and bears is, too many guys are more concerned with making the bear "fit" the tape, than the tape fit the bear......No different than fish, IMO.