PDA

View Full Version : What IS that...

Coyote
03-25-2016, 08:02 PM
I was out for a wander today and found myself in an alder flat. It was typical west coast red alder with swordfern everywhere and the odd conifer scattered about. I found a pile of ferns about four feet in diameter under overhanging branches of a small hemlock. They were broken from the original stem and randomly piled in a mat about four inches thick. Definitely not natural. As I was poking around in it I saw a pile of huge bear turds nearby. They were almost as big as beer cans but not quite. (Sorry no camera so no pics). I've never seen this before. Anyone have any idea what this might be???

bpeters
03-25-2016, 08:07 PM
samsquanch

landphil
03-25-2016, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a bear's food cache. A buddy and I stumbled across a very large one while bison hunting last fall, took us a few seconds to figure out why there was a 10 or 12 ft diameter pile of mulch freshly heaped up about 18", then I spotted the claw marks in the dirt. No pics, we weren't hanging around for some strange reason.

greybark
03-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Hey Coyote , may be this animal like "Ghost" is related to the one in your Rock Creek encounter ?
Cheers

goatdancer
03-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Hey Coyote , may be this animal like "Ghost" is related to the one in your Rock Creek encounter ?
Cheers

Hey man, I've spent a lot of time in that area and there is some seriously weird shit that happens in that whole valley..........

Wentrot
03-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Hey man, I've spent a lot of time in that area and there is some seriously weird shit that happens in that whole valley..........

Story time?

Paulyman
03-26-2016, 07:22 AM

Que the banjo music...

Coyote
03-26-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm still laughing when I think of that one Greybark...

Gr8 white hunter
03-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Put up a trail cam.

greybark
03-27-2016, 08:14 AM
I'm still laughing when I think of that one Greybark...

The Pinnacle of true Ghost classics !
Cheers

sawmill
03-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Sleep in the bed overnight. Then you will know for sure.

scotty30-06
03-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Yup spend a night or 2...just to see what happens ;p

REMINGTON JIM
03-28-2016, 09:39 PM
Gotta to be a Squatch for SURE :cool: jmo RJ

elch jager
04-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Well... if you are within walking distance of civilization... it could be the common Hobosapien... Was there a tattered blue tarp suspended above the site? :idea:

wideopenthrottle
04-01-2016, 10:45 AM
last fall, we were checking our meat (buck and doe wt) hanging before going out for the morning hunt (day 2)...

When we checked it, we found one of the deer was gone and the other one on the ground because of the broken meat pole (luckily they were in game bags)....

As we were headed out, we grabbed the one on the ground and put it in the cargo trailer hoping it would be safe until we got back for lunch....

When we got back for lunch, the 3 of us and the dog loaded up the guns and searched the surrounding area to see which way it had come from, tracks, and any sign of the deer....

What we found was similar to what you describe...there was the exact shape of the bagged deer in flattened vegetation, with about 1 and a half to two feet of disturbed dirt all around it.....

It seemed pretty clear that after the griz stole the deer, it ate some near the pole and left a few piles of green puke with globs of fat in it...it then dragged it up from near the river to a spot in the thicker bush and buried it a bit for awhile...we figure that after we left in the morning , it came back, tossed the dirt off to the side, retrieved the buried deer and dragged it a bit further to eat some more ...more green puke piles there too... the place where it was buried looked almost like one of those chalk drawing around a corpse you see on tv

we found the game bag another 50 or 60 feet away...more green puke piles

Anyone else seen green puke piles where a griz has eaten?