PDA

View Full Version : And another newbie

Mike0834
03-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi and actually post my first post! I've actually been a member here for a few years, since I got my PAL. I've had a passive interest in hunting for the last few years but have gotten way more enthusiastic the last year or so. I think this comes from listening to guys like Steven Rinella and hearing their passion and reasons for hunting. I finally signed up for the CORE program with Kent in Cloverdale and actually take my test tonight. Very excited to get my hunting licence!

My Uncle is a hardcore Newfie so I'm gonna steal one of his favourite jokes. He has tonnes of these quick little jokes that make you laugh/roll your eyes and loves to rattle them off in quick succession.

At a Newfie hockey game, they're giving away a prize in between periods. The guy has to shoot the puck from one end of the ice to the other and score, win a prize. So he gets it in and the crowd goes nuts. But the announcer guy says hold on, we just need you to answer a skill testing question to make it official. So he asks, whats 4+2. The guy thinks hard for a sec and then says 6. The whole crowd yells out give him another chance.

Anyways I'm going to make an effort now to stop lurking and posting more. Hopefully with a hunt or 2 under my belt that'll be much easier.

Currently I own a 22LR, 12 guage shotgun, and a 17hmr. Don't have a big game rifle yet but am looking at getting a 7mm Rem Mag. Thoughts? There's so many opinions all over its hard to know who to listen to.

Anyways hello to all and good luck!

Mike

Spy
03-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Welcome to HBC :-)

scoutlt1
03-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi and actually post my first post! I've actually been a member here for a few years, since I got my PAL. I've had a passive interest in hunting for the last few years but have gotten way more enthusiastic the last year or so. I think this comes from listening to guys like Steven Rinella and hearing their passion and reasons for hunting. I finally signed up for the CORE program with Kent in Cloverdale and actually take my test tonight. Very excited to get my hunting licence!

My Uncle is a hardcore Newfie so I'm gonna steal one of his favourite jokes. He has tonnes of these quick little jokes that make you laugh/roll your eyes and loves to rattle them off in quick succession.

At a Newfie hockey game, they're giving away a prize in between periods. The guy has to shoot the puck from one end of the ice to the other and score, win a prize. So he gets it in and the crowd goes nuts. But the announcer guy says hold on, we just need you to answer a skill testing question to make it official. So he asks, whats 4+2. The guy thinks hard for a sec and then says 6. The whole crowd yells out give him another chance.

Anyways I'm going to make an effort now to stop lurking and posting more. Hopefully with a hunt or 2 under my belt that'll be much easier.

Currently I own a 22LR, 12 guage shotgun, and a 17hmr. Don't have a big game rifle yet but am looking at getting a 7mm Rem Mag. Thoughts? There's so many opinions all over its hard to know who to listen to.

Anyways hello to all and good luck!

Mike

Welcome to the nightmare! ;)

22LR, 12G, and 17 HMR are great choices out of the gate I'd say, and while I'm not a "magnum" guy, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 7mm Mag as a "big game" rifle. :)

Whonnock Boy
03-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Welcome...... two years ago. :) 7mm Rem Mag? Nothing wrong with it, and lots of guys love'em. The 270 and 30-06 are very popular. Can't go wrong with those either. I would lean towards the latter, as ammo is less expensive, and more readily available, especially for the odd 6. Good luck tonight.

Mike0834
03-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Thanks! The test was a breeze, no problems. Apparently it was quite a bit harder in the past. Ya, the ammo price is one reason my commitment to the 7mm has lessened. And a lot of guys seem to think there isn't much to be gained with the 7mm. Oh well, I guess I gotta pull the trigger on something soon, pun intended.

HarryToolips
03-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Welcome, congrats on passing, you gonna get out for spring bear??

landphil
03-25-2016, 04:21 PM
If the recoil of your 12ga doesn't trouble you, then a 7mmRM won't be a bad choice. Neither would the other two cartridges mentioned, and a host of others. What are you planning to hunt with it, and under what conditions?

Welcome to HBC!

Salty
03-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Welcome Mike! I'd tell any new hunter the same a magnum is not needed and usually not the best choice for a new rifle due to excessive recoil and exce$$ive cost to feed the pig. Some non magnum calibres that will get the job done even on moose sized animals that are cheap and readily available, easy on the shoulder so less prone to developing flinches and other bad habits would be 308 Winchester or 270 Winchester. Magnums shine at real long range like 400yds plus, but best not to worry about that right off the bat ;)

Mike0834
03-25-2016, 07:33 PM
I've gotten used to the recoil off the 12 guage. The first time I shot it, it was quite the kick. Hit way harder then I had imagined. It's a pump action and has a ridiculously short barrel, 8". In retrospect it might have been a bit of a dumb purchase, not good at all for hunting. But it looked cool and I wanted it. I've done a lot of relatively close range clay shooting with it so I could be completely wrong but I dont think recoil is really a problem for me.

400 yard plus shots will not be happening any time soon. There is no way I would have the confidence to do that for quite a while. My in-laws have a place in sunshine valley and I do a tonne of hiking and exploring around that area. That's the area I'll be sticking to for now I think.

I'd love to go for a spring bear. I've never had the opportunity to gut and skin and animal though. That's one thing that worries me a bit. I've watched countless videos on the process but also know that it won't fully prepare me. What's your thoughts? Is this something I should tackle on my own or would that be really dumb. I have a lot of patience and don't at all mind putting in work. No one in my family or circle of friends have been hunting so I don't really have the bring a friend option.

Fella
03-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Welcome! If you're nit planning on doing any long range shooting any time soon id recommend .30-06. You can still shoot longer range with this caliber but if you're doing 100 yard shots in my opinion there's not much to be gained from a magnum except for more expensive ammo.

As for gutting, watch a ton of videos, but I'd recommend finding a mentor to walk you through the first one. I remember walking up to my first bear, light was fading and I thought "oh sh*t what do I do?" Fortunately my buddy was there to give me tips otherwise I think I'd still be up on that mountain trying to gut that bear haha. Best of luck to you!

fuzzybiscuit
03-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the site.

7mmRM will do the ticket if you don't mind the recoil. It has never bothered me and it is one of my favourite cartridges. Good luck.

How did you find the CORE course?

Mike0834
03-28-2016, 08:42 PM
To be honest I felt like it was a bit of a waste of time. I didn't really feel that I got much out of it. I think anyone that has spent sometime outdoors can challenge and pass the test no problem. The course was really good for breaking down what was on the test and what they want you to know but thats about it.

Singleshotneeded
03-30-2016, 12:31 AM
I'm in full agreement with the other guys on here about a magnum not being a great idea for a new shooter, for the ammo cost and the extra recoil that makes you not want to practice as much...not to mention the chance of developing a flinch, especially if you're practicing with just a t-shirt on in summer(no padding). So, if you see yourself doing a ton of stalking/hiking or trying for goats or sheep, you'll want a nice light mountain rifle...light rifles recoil harder...so consider the 7mm-08. If you're going to almost exclusively hunt deer and just walk from the truck to your spot on the edge of the clear-cut, then I'd suggest a .270. Finally, if you're seeing yourself hunting moose and elk as well as medium game in future, I'd recommend a .308. Very close to 30.06 ballistics, but a bit less recoil to make practicing more fun. Welcome to HBC!

scotty30-06
03-30-2016, 01:17 AM
I love the 30-06...(if ya can't tell by the name)....im not a super big guy so the recoil of the 06 is perfect and also love the choices in grain...great gun for someone getting into it.....if your from lower mainland give me a pm and I could possibly take ya out for a spring bear

Mike0834
03-31-2016, 06:12 PM
Scotty, thanks, I may just take you up on that offer. Gotta wait and get my rifle though. Been looking at the weatherby vanguard 2 in a 30-06 very hard recently. I'm going to wait for the cloverdale gun show though. See if theres any deals to be had there.

That rifle is a little lighter I think so it'll be better for the long hiking, stalking methods I imagine myself being in to more. And I am definitely going to be looking to do an elk hunt in the future.

Frango
03-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Welcome.You well have an addiction that can only be quenched by numerous trips to the bush. Hours at the range. Sitting around the campfire hearing BS from your buds. Spending a lot of money on hunting toys. Finding and hopefully harvest an animal for you freezer. Then years of thinking ,dreaming and pondering about hunting. Choosing a big game caliber is fun and daunting. No matter what you choose there well always be someone who thinks you made a mistake. That is why you will have in the end numerous guns in your collection. Enjoy your new addiction..PS there is no rehab center for this addiction .You are on your own but when its all done you will die with an empty wallet and a smile on your face. Oh and one more PS look at a 280..lol..See what I mean???

Mike0834
04-01-2016, 05:38 PM
well said! I know I already have an addiction to hunting and I've never actually been on a hunt yet. It's all I can think/talk about, ask my wife. I've spent years hiking and camping and this is just the next big exciting step. The only cause for regret about diving so deep in to this is the unbelievable cost of gear. I did not at all expect to be looking at thousands of dollars for gear. But oh well, start with the bare minimums and go from there.

AgSilver
04-01-2016, 09:50 PM
The only cause for regret about diving so deep in to this is the unbelievable cost of gear. I did not at all expect to be looking at thousands of dollars for gear. But oh well, start with the bare minimums and go from there.

My situation isn't too different from yours and I ordered >$1000 binos. Wtf.

Singleshotneeded
04-01-2016, 10:12 PM
well said! I know I already have an addiction to hunting and I've never actually been on a hunt yet. It's all I can think/talk about, ask my wife. I've spent years hiking and camping and this is just the next big exciting step. The only cause for regret about diving so deep in to this is the unbelievable cost of gear. I did not at all expect to be looking at thousands of dollars for gear. But oh well, start with the bare minimums and go from there.

It can get expensive, but you can buy an old gem of a Husqvarna .270/30.06 ($400) and put a decent scope ($300) on it...and pick up a very good pair of binos like the Nikon Monarch 7 in 10X42 on Ebay for $400 CDN...hell you can even buy a used knife and get a sharpening stone...there are ways to keep the cost down. Just don't skimp on the merino wool underwear...you'll love that stuff in the mountains at the crack of dawn, keeping you warm.

Mike0834
04-03-2016, 09:30 PM
good to hear that the $400 binos are good enough. I have my cheap $50 pair that need to be replaced. I haven't tried any yet but I was scared that I was going to have to step up to the $1000 models. same as scopes. Crazy how expensive they are, even used ones.

BCBRAD
04-04-2016, 06:30 AM
I started hunting big game with a 7mm Rem Mag as a 30-06 wasn't available to me at the time......but the guy in the store said it was as good (not knowledgeable back then) so I bought it. It was a Rem 700 and with the 24" barrel it was long and heavy, but didn't notice it that much in the excitement of youth.

I started handloading then and only ever used 175gr bullets for hunting and over the next 10 years bagged a moose near every year along with some b-bears. It was a real good shooter and kept it in the safe for another 10 years then sold it off.

Over the years I collected more rifles than I used so about 7-8 years ago purged the safe and decided on two stainless synthetic rifles for hunting. One is a 30-06 and the other is a 9.3mm. The idea being one for the light stuff and one for heavy game.

Both rifles are Sako 85's and are light enough and portable and can be used in all conditions. The 9.3 is a thumper on game and the shooter, the 30-06 very user friendly and has taken game big and small, it works so well that I have to purposely decide to use the 9.3......the 30-06 is the default hunting tool.

As others will attest the 30-06 is boring, has probably the widest range of bullets available in factory loads, will kill any animal at normal hunting ranges, doen't beat up the user physically or financially. And , in a quality rifle are as accurate as any other round in real world conditions.

There are a lot of choices, check the ballistic charts they will give you a good comparison on power and trajectory..........and then mount a fixed 6X scope, Leupold 6x36 or 6x42 are good choices.

Good luck on your search, don't forget that there is a lot of good barely used rifles and optics out there.

AgSilver
04-04-2016, 02:19 PM
and then mount a fixed 6X scope, Leupold 6x36 or 6x42 are good choices.

Good luck on your search, don't forget that there is a lot of good barely used rifles and optics out there.

Why fixed? I think my 308 has a fixed scope (not sure of the zoom..it's pretty old) and had considered changing it...that's why I ask. I think it's a Weaver.

Singleshotneeded
04-05-2016, 12:51 AM
good to hear that the $400 binos are good enough. I have my cheap $50 pair that need to be replaced. I haven't tried any yet but I was scared that I was going to have to step up to the $1000 models. same as scopes. Crazy how expensive they are, even used ones.

Just picked up a pair of the Nikon Monarch 7 in 10X42 on Ebay for $300 USD, lightly used, for my son...so yeah about $400 CDN. Opticsreviewer.com has a good review of the Nikons versus Bushnell Elites versus Vortex Vipers, and the Nikons edged the others and were a bit less. I use Meopta Meostar HDs, made across the border in the Czech Republic from Swarovski in Austria. I got them new on an Ebay auction for $800 USD when our dollar was about par...the Cabelas Euro Instinct HD is the re-badged version. Basically the Nikon Monarch 7 would be about 95% as good as the Big 3 that battle for top spot, Swarovski/Leica/Zeiss, and the Meoptas are about 97.5% as good...but when you consider what they cost versus the $3000 or so for the German/Austrian binos...that's close enough.

Rookie Hunter
04-05-2016, 08:03 AM
Mike and I, and a couple buddies, all shoot 30-06. It might not be the sexiest caliber but you can't go wrong with it in BC. I tend to shoot 178-180gr and Mike shoots 165gr.

We plan to do a gear/bag dump episode soon. We are rookie's as well so you should find it helpful.

hoochie
04-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Why fixed? I think my 308 has a fixed scope (not sure of the zoom..it's pretty old) and had considered changing it...that's why I ask. I think it's a Weaver.

fixed means it has no zoom. it is what it is, no more, no less... always.

AgSilver
04-07-2016, 12:14 AM
fixed means it has no zoom. it is what it is, no more, no less... always.

I know I'm not an expert, but I disagree. Fixed means that the zoom (i.e. magnification) isn't variable. But it might be 2x zoom, 4x zoom, 10x zoom, etc. It's just not a range of zoom (e.g. 3-9, 5-15, etc).

If there's no zoom, it's less of a magnified scope and more just a reticle/set of crosshairs.

brian
04-07-2016, 06:23 AM
You just have a misinterpretation of terms. A zoom lens is one with variable magnification whereas a fixed lens has its magnification set. Technically a true Zoom lens does not change focus when magnification changes. One of those magnificent achievements when you think about it. But zoom does not mean magnification. 2x 4x 10x all simply refer to magnification.

Why use a fixed scope? It's cheaper, simpler with fewer parts to go wrong, and never accidentally left on maximum magnification. They work well for many reasonable hunting scenarios. I like variable scopes better at the range but these days I do most of my hunting with a Luepy fixed 4.

AgSilver
04-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Fair enough, I can admit when I'm on the wrong end of semantics. I'd always understood Zoom and Magnification to be the same, but now understand (after further research) that, technically, zoom is the difference between the focal lengths of a variable scope. So a 2-10x magnification is actually a 5x zoom, a 3-9x is 3x zoom, etc. I learned something new today.

The colloquial use of the word "Zoom", though, is my source of original misinterpretation. So, yep, my bad.

Singleshotneeded
04-09-2016, 12:07 PM

I'd have to disagree, a 3-9X or 2.5-10X for the interior is excellent, you keep the scope at the lower magnifications so you can aim quickly if you get a sudden opportunity, and crank it higher if you find yourself in a large clear cut area and/or you spot an animal at distance. Best of both worlds, quick sight acquisition at 3X for a "holy shyte, that's a 5 point buck in the trees 50 yards away!" to the extra magnification at 10X to put the bullet right behind it's shoulder at 350 yards, and miss the bush in front of him. Fixed power scopes by definition are always a compromise...and that's great when it comes to women, but not in our hunting equipment. :-) A couple of things, if I were hunting the little coastal blacktails I'd be tempted to go with 4-14X for the extra magnification on those little guys at longer range; and with all the rain I'd definitely go with Bushnell Elite 4500s or 6500s or Swarovski rifle scopes...both have a lens coating that lets you see much better in the rain. IF and only if your budget is so tight that you can't afford to pay attention after buying your rifle, knife, and binos, then get the Bushnell Legend HDs...the glass isn't as good as the Elites nor is the light transmission at dawn and dusk, but it does have Rainguard and they'll be adequate in most situations. I'd get a cheaper knife and bring a sharpener, buy a used Husqvarna 1600 and glass bed it into it's old stock for .5 moa, get the Nikon Monarch 7 10X42 binos for $400 instead of Meoptas for $800-1000, and use that money on a better scope. It has to give you a clear picture of where you need to put a bullet at sometimes long range, in dim light with brush in the way, and is a very key bit of kit!

AgSilver
04-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Actually ordered a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 M-Plex. Supposedly has quite good low light optics. Just not sure if I should switch for the #4 reticle.

Singleshotneeded
04-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Actually ordered a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 M-Plex. Supposedly has quite good low light optics. Just not sure if I should switch for the #4 reticle.

Good choice, I've used Meopta binos for a few years and spotted the antlers of bedded down bucks that cheaper binos would've made me think were branches. They're right next door to Swarovski and it shows. As long as the centre cross is fine, and doesn't obscure the target, you can go with whatever reticle you like...the German #4 is good...

buck nash
04-12-2016, 01:52 AM
Welcome mike!

My advice is don't get caught up in the idea that you can't hunt with anything less than the best. Lots of folks will tell you that you need a $1200pr of bino's, a $2000 gun with a $2000 scope on it, $1000 worth of clothes etc, but you can get it done with a lot less. Especially when you're just starting out. It's nice to have the fancy gear, but if we actually needed all that, then how did hunters do it a hundred years ago. My first deer rifle was a $200 sks. It served me well for several seasons, then i moved up to a sporterized 303 enfield which i still kept and occasionally used long after i got a nice brno 270. My favorite camo, even now, is my surrey tuxedo (mac jacket).

There's so many trappings in hunting gear (pun intended) but i always try to remember the old bit of wisdom i heard long ago. Those expensive lures are to catch the fishermen not the fish.

Having said that make sure that your rifle is a good fit and reasonably accurate. That's more important than caliber. If you have friends that shoot, see if you can try a few different models on for size.

You've already got a leg up on many new hunters in the fact you're already an outdoorsman. Means you probably already have a lot of gear that'll carry over and more importantly you're already getting out there.

Good luck have fun and be safe

carson
04-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Down to earth advice from buck nash. Good stuff

Fella
04-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Yep, I'll echo what Buck Nash said. You can still hunt without the best of the best gear. If I tallied up what my gear cost id be surprised if I've spent more than $1200. That includes rifle, clothing, boots, binos, backpack etc. For clothing all you need is something that is quiet and keeps you comfortable. I wear grey wool milsurp pants, 2 pairs for $40.

Mike0834
04-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys, yep I'll definitely keep it simple for now. It's fun to check out all the fancy gear online but I think that gaining some experience is going to be way more beneficial then stockpiling new gear. I was out doing some scouting for black bear this past weekend. I saw 4 deer but no bear. Checked out sunshine valley area and harrison east. No sign anywhere. But I was happy to hear no one else is really seeing anything yet. Happy at least that I wasn't missing them.

Singleshotneeded
04-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys, yep I'll definitely keep it simple for now. It's fun to check out all the fancy gear online but I think that gaining some experience is going to be way more beneficial then stockpiling new gear. I was out doing some scouting for black bear this past weekend. I saw 4 deer but no bear. Checked out sunshine valley area and harrison east. No sign anywhere. But I was happy to hear no one else is really seeing anything yet. Happy at least that I wasn't missing them.

Remember the old $400 Husky rifle, the $400CDN Nikon Monarch 7 10X42 binos from Ebay, and unless you're banging your rig against rocks in the mountains hunting sheep, then Bushnell Elite scopes kick butt for a few hundred. Be out there and looking for sign...that trumps everything...