PDA

View Full Version : Pellet gun advise - which one to purchase

Elk-Aholic
03-24-2016, 07:01 AM
Have some bird issues around the house and Need to buy a pellet gun here and looking for some advise on which particular one to buy. I don't want the bottom of the line lead thrower as accuracy is key in this case. Which one will give me the greatest accuracy, consistent groupings, and descent range? Or am I being too over jealous in my wants? Thanks in advise!

180grainer
03-24-2016, 07:06 AM
I've got a Ruger Airhawk at a cost of about $150.00. It's not bad. A buddy of mine has the Gammo Hunter. It's a bit better but cost about $150.00 more.

bigbuzz
03-24-2016, 07:31 AM
If you can spend the extra $ a Weirauch 97 is a fine choice. We are market gardeners and have had issues with rabbits and it didn't take long to fix the problem. Superb accuracy, 22 cal, quiet and about 800 ft/sec depending on pellets. On the Canadian airgun forum you may find a used one, they sell pretty quick, Specialty Shooting sports for a new one.

E.B.
03-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Crosman nitro piston dusk is only 225.oo at D&L airguns and is quite an accurate rifle for the price. The rated 1200 fps in 177 does in real world figures 875-900 with standard lead pellets and can easily group 2" at 50 yrds. Anything over 900 fps in any caliber air rifle and the accuracy goes down. Pellets become unstable at higher speeds. These airguns come with a decent functional scope. Look up the advantages with nitrogen piston versys spring piston on you tube.

Boner
03-24-2016, 08:40 AM
If you already have a 22 rimfire, consider the CCI 22 Quiet rounds. 710 FPS. Sounds like a muffled hand clap out of my 22.

Singleshotneeded
03-24-2016, 09:28 AM
D&L Airguns, Weihrauch 97...not the short barrel version...excellent air rifle, good power, and it`ll last, like the RWS Diana units...

FortBoy
03-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Crosman nitro piston dusk is only 225.oo at D&L airguns and is quite an accurate rifle for the price. The rated 1200 fps in 177 does in real world figures 875-900 with standard lead pellets and can easily group 2" at 50 yrds. Anything over 900 fps in any caliber air rifle and the accuracy goes down. Pellets become unstable at higher speeds. These airguns come with a decent functional scope. Look up the advantages with nitrogen piston versys spring piston on you tube.

I have this aswell but in .22 no complaints with it at all, put togetehr better than the gammo (used to have one) and more accurate. got mine from D&L, good people to deal with.

okas
03-24-2016, 10:03 AM
If you can spend the extra $ a Weirauch 97 is a fine choice. We are market gardeners and have had issues with rabbits and it didn't take long to fix the problem. Superb accuracy, 22 cal, quiet and about 800 ft/sec depending on pellets. On the Canadian airgun forum you may find a used one, they sell pretty quick, Specialty Shooting sports for a new one.
YES SIR that is the one and Specialty Shooting are great ... i stroked and over sprung my 97;) 40 yards thew the rabbits head and did a raven at 80 ..

okas
03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
anyone with a 97 knows it will touch the pellets at 40 yards but they are $$ i found a used like new 500 fps one and did it up for power as a lot of web sites and clubs for these guns .. mine now:evil: at 40 yards goes thew the 3/4 plywood target stop now . And the scope has to be a air rifle scope . but then again it is a lot of $$ but super quite .. i have shot turkeys as well as geese with mine as better than a bow . thew the head dead and no noise ...

jamesvtr
03-24-2016, 10:25 AM
i have an older bsa airsporter and it kills crows and rats pretty good even got a new spring and piston seal last year for it

adriaticum
03-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Check DL airgun. I think .22 caliber is the best.

okas
03-24-2016, 10:53 AM
i have an older bsa airsporter and it kills crows and rats pretty good even got a new spring and piston seal last year for it
i had them very good as the older ones metal trigger and no plastic my kids could hardly load them as i did the over spring in them ... they are worth finding and fixing

jamesvtr
03-24-2016, 11:13 AM
i had them very good as the older ones metal trigger and no plastic my kids could hardly load them as i did the over spring in them ... they are worth finding and fixing
i do think they are worth finding and fixing ive had mine for since i was 14 so about 18 years first time its been apart since i had it did a resto on it

Xenomorph
03-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Got a Stoeger for my son but I'm always tempted to use myself. Super accurate and easy to use

goatdancer
03-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Got a Stoeger for my son but I'm always tempted to use myself. Super accurate and easy to use

My Stoeger isn't even close to super accurate. I've done some investigation and learned that they like heavier ammo. Got a pack of different weights and styles for testing. Time to go down to the range and see if any of them will group. The thing is not quiet either.

tangozulu
03-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Look for a slavia 630, 631
Not imported any more but are tac drivers

btridge
03-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Weihrauch MH77, fixed barrel, under lever. Very accurate. D&L airguns

Ferenc
03-24-2016, 04:17 PM
Diana makes a good one also on top of all the ones mentioned.

finngun
03-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Good old sling shot took raven down last year..bugger was soo noisy 5am i just hit it to his head from 5m up on the tree..2 shots one kill..:wink:

fuzzybiscuit
03-24-2016, 05:30 PM
anyone with a 97 knows it will touch the pellets at 40 yards but they are $$ i found a used like new 500 fps one and did it up for power as a lot of web sites and clubs for these guns .. mine now:evil: at 40 yards goes thew the 3/4 plywood target stop now . And the scope has to be a air rifle scope . but then again it is a lot of $$ but super quite .. i have shot turkeys as well as geese with mine as better than a bow . thew the head dead and no noise ...

I thought shooting migratory game birds with a single projectile was illegal? Must have been a domestic goose.

Or are you one of the privileged few who rules don't apply to?

Jagermeister
03-24-2016, 07:04 PM
I have a Diana 280. Supposed to be around 900fps but not with the pellets I use. I have chronograph-ed it and I have yet to find a pellet that will achieve the posted velocity. My pellets of choice are the JSB Straton Diabolo 8.26 gr and the Predator Polymag in 8gr. Both in .177. .117 Unless your neighbors are at a distance, then get a .22.
The magpies don't hang around and the crows are getting brave again. Longest shot was a magpie from a neighbors 60 ft. fir tree, the triangulated distance was 55 yards.
Depending on the air rifle, you would be well advised to get scope rings that are pinned. The recoil will move the scope I use RWS one piece to anchor the scope.

Singleshotneeded
03-24-2016, 08:43 PM
I thought shooting migratory game birds with a single projectile was illegal? Must have been a domestic goose.

You a cop? MYOB

Singleshotneeded
03-24-2016, 08:45 PM
If you're using an air rifle on small game make it a point to buy a .22...the extra mass of the .22 makes for a much more effective pellet.

fuzzybiscuit
03-24-2016, 09:11 PM
You a cop? MYOB

Don't get your panties in a knot now just because I believe in one set of rules for everyone.

Singleshotneeded
03-24-2016, 10:02 PM
Don't get your panties in a knot now just because I believe in one set of rules for everyone.

Lol, I was having a bit of fun with you...but really, with indians slaughtering lots of big game annually and sometimes taking the tenderloin...sometimes just leaving them for the coyotes...does a guy shooting a few of the millions of geese we have in Canada with a pellet rifle, instead of a shotgun, seem that significant to you? :-D

huntcoop
03-24-2016, 10:27 PM
If you already have a 22 rimfire, consider the CCI 22 Quiet rounds. 710 FPS. Sounds like a muffled hand clap out of my 22.

Can you get these rounds at Cabelas or Wholesale?

boxhitch
03-25-2016, 01:51 AM
CB Quiets are a 22 long rifle at subsonic speed , 40 gr @ 710
CB Longs are a 22 long at subsonic , 29 gr @ 710

Quiets are hard to find , Longs are everywhere

Elk-Aholic
03-25-2016, 03:07 AM
I have this aswell but in .22 no complaints with it at all, put togetehr better than the gammo (used to have one) and more accurate. got mine from D&L, good people to deal with.

What do you guys use for pellets? One brand or style more accurate than the other in .22? From what I'm reading, wiehrauch is the best one if money isn't the issue. Then the Dianna and Crossman Nitro are the next, more money conscious, choices. Stick with .22 for accuracy and neighbours, lol and blast away. Budget is $500 with scope installed so Weihrauch is out of reach unfortunately.

huntcoop
03-25-2016, 06:51 AM
CB Quiets are a 22 long rifle at subsonic speed , 40 gr @ 710
CB Longs are a 22 long at subsonic , 29 gr @ 710

Quiets are hard to find , Longs are everywhere

How is the "quiet" factor between the two?

Elk-Aholic have you considered a .22 rifle?

Boner
03-25-2016, 07:43 AM

Probably sometimes. I bought mine at home hardware, and I picked up another 10 boxes at The hunting store in Fort St John the last time I passed through.

goatdancer
03-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Weihrauch MH77, fixed barrel, under lever. Very accurate. D&L airguns

The fixed barrel would definitely improve accuracy. No possibility of any slight misalignment between the scope and the barrel.

TPK
03-25-2016, 09:31 AM
I've got one of the Dianna models .. forget which one .. but it's a .22 , lots of power and great accuracy. Yes it did rattle the sh!t out the scope and I have to send it out for repair as there is no more adjustment on it. I could get it dialed in for about ten shots then it would drift and need to be adjusted .. now there is no more adjustment left. I also had to double up on the scope mount braces because it was indeed moving without them.

Knowing a little more about scopes now, I won't be putting the same one back on once it's back from repair, I'll look for a proper "air rifle" scope. I tried just using the iron sights it came with but couldn't get the elevation any where near where it needed to be, even tried shimming the rear sight to raise it to where it needed to be, couldn't bend the front sight low enough.

okas
03-25-2016, 11:22 AM

i have a;) card fuzzy wuzzy ha ha to bad you can not find a job in BC i guess you are way to smart .. :idea:

Singleshotneeded
03-25-2016, 11:26 AM

No, I checked for you...look at your local gun shop for SUBSONIC ammo...

okas
03-25-2016, 11:31 AM

i have a;) card fuzzy wuzzy ha ha to bad you can not find a job in BC i guess you are way to smart .. :idea:

sawmill
03-25-2016, 11:40 AM
With a sig name like okas of course you are FN(or at least 1/16) and can do what you want. Just another "Steward of the Land"

okas
03-25-2016, 11:45 AM
pellets WOW i got to get mine out as sun out and rabbits on the rail :redface: i shoot the EXACT jumbo RS 13.43 grains
and just for fuzzy wuzzy a goose if it is in the fire pond . in the soup pot

okas
03-25-2016, 11:51 AM
With a sig name like okas of course you are FN(or at least 1/16) and can do what you want. Just another "Steward of the Land"
i do not shoot antlerless and there are to many geese and it is cool :tongue: handy for cross boarder shopping as well .

huntcoop
03-25-2016, 09:54 PM
No, I checked for you...look at your local gun shop for SUBSONIC ammo...

Thanks for the info.

okas
03-26-2016, 10:48 AM
a 97 t scoped weight is 11 lbs.