PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with your wall tent?

hoochie
03-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Checking out wall tents today, went to the manufacturer and they answered a lot of my questions.
For those of you that have them; are you happy with them? Or would you go another route if you were to do it again?

albravo2
03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
I have a Costco garage that I bought from a liquidator down here. Fire ******ant material. It was the fraction of the cost of a wall tent. Use a US Army surplus diesel heater. I think I'm in to the whole setup for less than $800. We slept 8 people on cots and still had enough room for chairs around the diesel heater.

I know it isn't as cool as a Deluxe Wall Tent but I can pack it away wet and it won't mildew. I also won't be heartbroken if I only get 4 seasons out of it.

BCBRAD
03-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Had a couple wall tents over the years but much prefer this one ://www.reliabletent.com/products-page/specialty-tents/glacier-tent/ also the Yellowstone is good.

A lot less infrastructure with these compared to a traditional wall tent. They are pricey though.

huntcoop
03-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Costco shelters with a few mods are the bomb.

Trekker
03-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Wall tent and a wood stove is the way to go. They give you lots of living space while taking up very little space in your truck. Nothing beats coming back to a hot tent and drying your gear. Spend the money, buy a good canvas tent, take care of it and you will have it for the rest of your life.

Kopper
03-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Absolutely yes!!!

Picked up a deluxe wall tent/frame last year; so it's only seen one season but 3 different trips. Add a stove and it'll be toasty warm in any temp you'll see. Easy to set up, even by yourself. Large amount of space for the money. Small and light enough to pack it with quads, including the frame. I much prefer a wall tent set up over a camper, plus it's a lot easier to transport.

The only downside I've found is having a large enough area to dry out. I use the rafters in my barn but if you don't have a garage or something..... I imagine setting it up on the frame to dry would work but by late November/December you more than likely won't get a good break in the weather.

redneckmedic
03-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Yes I love them, nothing better than a 16x20 wall tent with a good stove burning away at night. I would invest in an aluminum frame set right away. Set up and take down, require very little time especially with 4+ people. You do have to dry them when you get home like someone else stated but that will usually take less than 2 days in a warm garage

TPK
03-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Love hunting out of a wall tent, VERY comfy and warm. All the guys with campers end up "visiting" in the tent and don't spend much time in their campers ..lol.

takla1
03-23-2016, 03:58 PM
had a couple CWT over the yrs and we used them annually 2-3 week hunting trips up off the Alaska Hyw.we hade framed plywood floors and counter-tops fabbed up we used and stashed them up there every yr.I use a camper these days but Looking back it was always an experience living for those few week in bear country every fall in tents.
Now with the camper we still build a canvas/tarp shelter to hang out in every evening with the wood stove..get cabin fever in the camper every night.

takla

StoneChaser
03-23-2016, 04:32 PM
A buddy and I bought a 14x16x5' tent and pole kit from Deluxe Wall Tents back in 2008 and it has been excellent. Close to 80 nights in it from spring bear to fly in caribou without a hitch. Spacious, warm, extremely portable, easy to dry out gear, able to withstand serious weather, and affordable (compared to trailers or campers). If dried after each trip and stored properly, it'll easily outlast me.

I'll never sleep in a camper or RV on a hunting trip again if I have my way.

Citori54
03-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Wall tent with frame is the way to go. We use both wall tents and customized hunting trailers with wood stoves depending on location/time of year. We all agree the wall tent is better.

Nimrod
03-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Love the wall tent, Have a 12x14 aluminum frame with the wood stove.
Nothing better than late November subzero conditions with snow and a big dry wood pile inside the tent around the wood stove.
Only thing that is a pain is finding a good reasonably flat spot to pitch it on. we have a few sites we've scouted that work great but going to a new area finding the right spot can take some time.

wos
03-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Wall tent is the only way to fly. The best piece of equipment I own.

Whonnock Boy
03-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Without any exaggeration, I have gotten a year of camping out of my "garage", maybe closer to 16 months, and over 15 years of use. Including industrial velcro for the seams, sewn in stove jack and zipper for door, the stove, plywood for the floor, a plywood box to ship it in, that acts as a cooking table while at camp, and artificial turf, I was under 800 bucks. The best part is, it's not dark like a wall tent as it's one of the older white ones. Worth every penny.

I have a Costco garage that I bought from a liquidator down here. Fire ******ant material. It was the fraction of the cost of a wall tent. Use a US Army surplus diesel heater. I think I'm in to the whole setup for less than $800. We slept 8 people on cots and still had enough room for chairs around the diesel heater.

I know it isn't as cool as a Deluxe Wall Tent but I can pack it away wet and it won't mildew. I also won't be heartbroken if I only get 4 seasons out of it.

Costco shelters with a few mods are the bomb.

sausage lover
03-23-2016, 06:09 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/sausagelover1/150_zpsmwcpwxyt.jpg (http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sausagelover1/media/150_zpsmwcpwxyt.jpg.html)

sausage lover
03-23-2016, 06:12 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/sausagelover1/165_zpsorom9orw.jpg (http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sausagelover1/media/165_zpsorom9orw.jpg.html)Wife and I hunt out of this every year,great tent!

killman
03-23-2016, 06:40 PM
I won the Wall tent a few years ago. It's a awesome tool in its place. Best for extended stay. It tends to be a fair amount of work and requires a large area to hang and dry after use in the wet weather. What's everyone else do?

Ride Red
03-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Love the wall tent, Have a 12x14 aluminum frame with the wood stove.
Nothing better than late November subzero conditions with snow and a big dry wood pile inside the tent around the wood stove.
Only thing that is a pain is finding a good reasonably flat spot to pitch it on. we have a few sites we've scouted that work great but going to a new area finding the right spot can take some time.

X2. I have a 12x14 also, enough room to have 4 people extremely comfortable the whole trip. I've had campers and trailers, but the tent is still one of my favorites. Plus it's too hard trying to get a camper in the boat. :smile:

Ride Red
03-23-2016, 06:45 PM
I won the Wall tent a few years ago. It's a awesome tool in its place. Best for extended stay. It tends to be a fair amount of work and requires a large area to hang and dry after use in the wet weather. What's everyone else do?

I hang mine in my shop when I get home. A small oscillating fan moving air around is all you need to dry properly.

Riverratz
03-23-2016, 06:48 PM
End of season, park the trucks outside and set the tent up in the garage for a couple of days with an oscillating fan blowing inside.
It actually completely dries in under one day, but I give it an extra day anyway just to be sure.
Easy one man setup with internal aluminum frame, takes about 10 - 15 min.

wos
03-23-2016, 06:49 PM
To dry my tent I just hang it in my paint booth and put it through a bake cycle but that's probably the only advantage to owning a body shop.

jdmck
03-23-2016, 06:56 PM
retired at the end of Feb and bought a delluxe 10x12 with a porch and a new polaris 450 waiting for the honeydew list to get cleaned up and away we go

longwalk
03-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Best way to ride out bad,cold weather. Have a trailer but prefer the tent. More usable room. I seem to add new things in it every year to make it more comfortable. Got bunks last year. Made the tent more spacious. Bass Pro camp kitchen also last year. Nice to have a good food prep area
when it comes to drying the tent at the end of a trip I just crank up the stove and lift up the bottom of the tent and get a good wind going through. And further drying I can do in front of the fire at home.

1/2 slam
03-23-2016, 11:34 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/sausagelover1/150_zpsmwcpwxyt.jpg (http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sausagelover1/media/150_zpsmwcpwxyt.jpg.html)

Cabelas Alakanak tent. I have a 12 x 12 and love it

nap
03-24-2016, 12:13 AM
Cabelas Alakanak tent. I have a 12 x 12 and love it

I have as well and it serves its purpose nicely and sets up real easy.

hunter1947
03-24-2016, 05:19 AM
I am very happy with my 12x16 polar bear wall tent..

tomahawk
03-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Ive hunted in every option known. Any time more then 2 nights hunting there is nothing that comes close to my 14x18 tent and wood heater. 2 nights or less I use a camper. campers have limits of where they can go as do trailers. I made a set of poles,, set up is less then 2 hrs, wood stove keeps us warm to -30. lots of room. we camp remote and out of sight of others as well.

markt308
03-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Me and my crew bought a wall tent and custom wood stove about 5 or 6 years ago. Now every year when we set it up we still get so pumped about it and just wish we invested earlier. We love it. ours is a 14x16 with a 10' awning out the front.
We used to haul trailers, this is so much more fun and easier/better in general

barry1974w
03-24-2016, 02:37 PM
I started with a 12x14 and used to cut poles for set up, it worked ok, but setup took a while. Then buddy bought a 16x20 from delux wall tents with the pole set, wood stove, and water tank..... Since using his Ive bought a pole set cause it makes set up sooooo much easier, and he made me a way nicer stove (modelled after the one from delux wall tents) than my old hippie killer, and I bought a water tank from delux wall tents as well. It's so nice to have more or less on demand hot water, and five gallons of hot water retains a lot of heat, so you don't wake up as fast when the fire starts to die down.
But to answer your question, wall tents are great.
The coldest I've used mine was about -35 while out bison hunting, we had no issues. It was pretty easy to keep things t shirt comfortable as long as you didn't sit right next to the wall, gotta give close to a foot of room or you could feel the cold.

wideopenthrottle
03-24-2016, 03:43 PM
we use the frame from one but cover it with tarps instead of canvass (can be double tarped for heavy rain or super cold conditions) ...put in a nice wood stove and you have living quarters...it is better than a camper to me

Nimrod
03-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Now every year when we set it up we still get so pumped about it and just wish we invested earlier. We love it.
We are on our 9th or 10th year with one and every time we set it up we get pumped and praise the wall tent....its like a shrine.
its fun when we set up 2 of them, in November when the nights are long a lot of fun can be had in the après hours with a couple wall tents and a big ripping outside fire in between......

SHACK
03-24-2016, 07:37 PM
hell at one point I had 3 wall tents, 2-14x16, and a 10x12. I have since kept a 14x16 and its absolutely perfect for all but needing to be super mobile. that said it still only takes 30 minutes to erect or dismantle with the aluminium pole set. You just cant beat the dry heat a good wood burning stove puts out for drying out your gear. I bought the kwikkamp blaze stove which is actually an airtight stove and fully loaded it will burn all night long, not to mention keep you plenty warm in ANY type of cold weather. Been very comfy down to -30 in a wall tent...cant say that for any camper/tailer I have been in...

tangozulu
03-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Ive had a 10x12 for years and used to tie it up between a few strong trees. A few years ago i started collecting pples from Canadian Tire type garadges that seemed to be in the dump on a regular bases. Xsince they both are 10 feet in width ive made several nice frames for my wall tent now.
Really nice setting up with the pole frame.

kodimack
03-24-2016, 08:57 PM
My 12x14 tent is the best thing I ever purchased for hunting, emt conduit for internal frame and my home built stove . :-)

Backcountry Hunter
03-25-2016, 06:02 AM
Our 14x16 with 5' porch was the best thing we have bought yet. So nice having warm dry clothes and boots for next days! Only downfall so far has been maybe it's a little to comfortable making getting out of bed that much harder