PDA

View Full Version : ATV license plate

bearheart
03-22-2016, 07:57 PM
I have an ATV that I use in bush and on forest service roads. My plate has Mar/16 on it. My insurance goes from Sept to Sept, Do I need to renew my plate? If yes, then where/how? I tried looking it up and couldn't figure it out. I figured some smart young person here could tell me the obvious. Thanks a lot!

4blade
03-22-2016, 08:01 PM
You dont have to renew your plate but your third party insurance yes.if not sure go where you bought insurance and ask

One Shot
03-22-2016, 08:42 PM
IIRC, If you have an expiry decal on your plate then you need to renew the insurance component which allows and covers you to cross over roads. If you don't then your are not covered or allowed to cross public roads. I just renewed mine. You do not pay any more fees for the plate.

Gun Dog
03-22-2016, 09:29 PM
The decal is for the ICBC road crossing insurance which is different than third-party liability for FSRs.

Coachman
03-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Look on your registration paperwork. Looks just like insurance papers for your car.

If you only have the thin little registration paper, you're not insured to cross the road or ride crown land. If you have the minimum $200k liability, you can ride crown land and cross the road.

If you have additional third party insurance for theft, collision, more liability, that doesn't allow you on the forest roads.

blackford
03-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Look on your registration paperwork. Looks just like insurance papers for your car.

If you only have the thin little registration paper, you're not insured to cross the road or ride crown land. If you have the minimum $200k liability, you can ride crown land and cross the road.

If you have additional third party insurance for theft, collision, more liability, that doesn't allow you on the forest roads.

if you are a BCWF member and have a gun or a rod on your quad.... and can prove your going hunting or fishing... your covered... on crown land but not roads..... or atleast that's what I have been told

Gun Dog
03-26-2016, 07:57 AM
if you are a BCWF member and have a gun or a rod on your quad.... and can prove your going hunting or fishing... your covered... on crown land but not roads..... or atleast that's what I have been toldNot always true. If you're a member through your rod & gun club then... maybe. When you get your BCWF membership package and you qualify for 3rd party liability then there will be a letter of insurance. Copy it and keep the copy on your ATV as proof of insurance.

Coachman
03-28-2016, 08:16 AM
A membership may cover your "insurance", but not your registration. You need both.

Sniperdan
04-05-2016, 12:44 AM
- The license plate is mandatory to operate ORV on any crown land. (not required for private land) and is a one time fee to purchase.

- The little decal sticker is "optional" ANNUAL insurance from ICBC which allows you to cross certain roads, load/unload in public parking lots, etc. (This sticker is a joke in my opinion and I would never pay an annual fee for this). It is important that you know this sticker is NOT mandatory and most insurance brokers don't know it. I had to argue with my broker until she finally called ICBC to confirm that she could sell me the plate without the sticker. Don't get caught in the trap of paying an annual fee for a sticker that is not a requirement.

- Now, in order to ride on a FSR you REQUIRE proof of $200k liability insurance which you can purchase from ICBC (I don't recommend this because they are way overpriced) OR from a third party insurance such as OASIS or CAPRI (liability only generally runs between $75-$125/yr).

- If you ONLY use your ORV for hunting/fishing purposes and you have BCWF membership then you automatically have the $200k liability coverage (you just need to carry the paperwork with you to prove it if you get stopped, but you better be fishing/hunting) Membership to BCWF is $49/yr so this is your best option if you only use you ORV for hunting/fishing.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Xenomorph
04-05-2016, 07:41 PM
I know we have the 2mil liability through BCWF, but I also added the ICBC 3rd party liability for 5mil. I think it's the max offered and it wasn't expensive ...personally I'd rather have more coverage rather than not enough when/if shit hits the fan.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-05-2016, 09:59 PM
I have BCWF, which is pretty damn close to useless as companies are always looking for a way to get out of paying, the ICBC ins. plus the 3rd party liability, theft fire etc etc etc

The best thing about the BCWF insurance is that my private dealer gave me a break because they classify the BCWF as a "Club"

I am of the same opinion as Xeno there ... more =better