PDA

View Full Version : Seek Outside Tipi Tents

Rookie Hunter
03-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Hi folks, does anyone have experience with Seek Outside Tipi Tents on backcountry hunts? Advantages/disadvantages, other brands (Canadian?), etc.

Thanks!

NorBC
03-19-2016, 05:53 PM
http://journalofmountainhunting.com/2016/01/the-ultimate-backcountry-tent/

Rhyno
03-19-2016, 06:48 PM

Sounds like an interesting spot to hunt:wink:

SR80
03-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Seek outside make some awesome shelters! Super light, and roomy. Im probably going to buy one of my buddy since he is gibbled now...:-P

northernguy
03-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Very happy with mine. I could not find a Canadian version so I bit the bullet and ate the exchange rate. I have the stove, and the combination makes a very comfortable camp in rough conditions. The whole package is well worth the $$$.

Useyourfeet
03-20-2016, 09:50 AM
I have an 8 man tipi and a BT2, both with the stove jack. I've been happy with them, craftsmanship and materials are good and they have both proven storm and wind worthy. Condensation can be an issue if you don't vent it well at night but that is no different than any shelter where the fly goes all the way to the ground.

Rookie Hunter
03-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Great thanks guys. Might wait out the exchange before Ibite the bullet, but they sound excellent.

Lastcar
03-20-2016, 05:05 PM
Seek outside make some awesome shelters! Super light, and roomy. Im probably going to buy one of my buddy since he is gibbled now...:-P

You'll need a light shelter since you'll be carrying me in your pack for the next 8 weeks. If I face out back we can glass 360 degrees at once!

NorBC
03-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Journal of mountain hunting is giving one away to the best story that comes in the next three months.

BgBlkDg
03-21-2016, 04:39 AM
I have used pyramid-tipi shelters from 1987 to recently and found both positive and less enjoyable aspects to them; they have their uses and are well worth the cost in many circumstances.

I have not, as yet, had an SO shelter, have my eye on the new "Redcliff" model with a Ti stove, probably a cylinder model from that Albertan outfit or maybe Ed Tyanich in Montana. Lot of coin for a guy my age, but, maybe.....

That said, I have an SO "Divide" pack and love it so far, the ideal pack for we old, gimpy guys who, like it or not, are past the days of 100+ lbs. on Trapper Nelsons and, later, Camptralls Freighters.

My experience in dealing with SO has been stellar in every respect, I would not hesitate to buy from them and consider them THE outfit to buy such gear from. I think Bill here (The Hermit) may sell their products here in Canada?

goinghunting
03-21-2016, 11:27 AM
How do you vent these tipi's to deal with condensation?

In a 4 season tent theres proper vents built in.

northernguy
03-21-2016, 02:54 PM
There are vents at the peak but I have had the best luck by leaving the two doors open from ground level, up to about 2 feet or so. There is little heat loss and it tends to help.. Staking out on drier ground helps significantly with the condensation.

Trekker
03-21-2016, 03:41 PM
I have the 4 man and a friend has the BCS 2, both are superb. The stove makes quick work of the condensation.

Cordillera
03-22-2016, 02:41 PM
I have a seek outside 8 person with the large stove as well as a little bug out shelter. They have all been well made and I like their designs for the teepee a little more than other companies. Especially a sod cloth. They are not bug proof so I ended up with a half nest for the eight man. It is a little difficult to install but works well. I also got the full liner to address condensation but honestly it's a pain to install so I've hardly used it. I did make a tarp floor which is good when you aren't worried about a little extra weight (canoeing or similar). For the LBO I just have a small piece of Tyvek for the floor. Light and cheap.

Ultimately I think the tepees find their proper niche in later season extended camp situations where there are no bugs and you want the ability to have a dry tent. If that is your game then I'd recommend the seek outside products.

charlie_horse
03-22-2016, 02:49 PM

There is a pretty decent review of one for what it is worth.

Rookie Hunter
03-22-2016, 02:57 PM
I have a seek outside 8 person with the large stove as well as a little bug out shelter. They have all been well made and I like their designs for the teepee a little more than other companies. Especially a sod cloth. They are not bug proof so I ended up with a half nest for the eight man. It is a little difficult to install but works well. I also got the full liner to address condensation but honestly it's a pain to install so I've hardly used it. I did make a tarp floor which is good when you aren't worried about a little extra weight (canoeing or similar). For the LBO I just have a small piece of Tyvek for the floor. Light and cheap.

Ultimately I think the tepees find their proper niche in later season extended camp situations where there are no bugs and you want the ability to have a dry tent. If that is your game then I'd recommend the seek outside products.

Good advice! I think you're right on re: the late season niche...

The Hermit
03-22-2016, 03:43 PM
... My experience in dealing with SO has been stellar in every respect, I would not hesitate to buy from them and consider them THE outfit to buy such gear from. I think Bill here (The Hermit) may sell their products here in Canada?

Yep I sell the ti Stoves they offer. I can't legally import the tipi for resale because they are not fire rated... if they were, I'd be in like flint because I think the product is great.