PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Lakes, great place to goat hunt

danbrooks
03-19-2016, 03:06 PM
I found a little gem of a spot to go Mountain Goat hunting by Jarvis Lakes.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5723&stc=1

Last summer my family went there hunting. It was fantastic! There's a great little cabin on the lakeshore, and although the hike up the mountain is grueling, there were tons of big goats, we took 4 nice billies. The trick was to get there. We float planed in, but you can hike from Kakwa.

dbergen69
03-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Who did you fly on with?

danbrooks
03-19-2016, 04:44 PM
I just went with in with a friend, he's not a commercial pilot though, so unless you've got a friend yourself you'll have to ask around for a commercial pilot. We flew in from Dawson Creek, but I think Prince George is closer.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Information is our ally!

That's a tank of a billy!!

Sounds like a geat trip!!

Thanks for sharing

untilthelastbeat
03-19-2016, 06:10 PM
More goat pics!!!

danbrooks
03-20-2016, 04:46 PM
More goat pics!!!
I got the one up, but each time I try to upload another it tells me I've exceeded my quota. Not sure what that means. Sorry.

REMINGTON JIM
03-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Nice Goat and storey ! But dan ! dan ! dan ! your saying a GOS lied ??? really !!! :shock: come n now ! :wink: lol RJ

Salty
03-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Beauty goat! Dan I find it a ton easier to upload pics to photobucket or the like, then copy them from there and paste them here. Sounds like real nice country up there :cool:

Dan

Ride Red
03-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Nice goat for sure. My wife had a draw last fall, but didn't connect. We'll see how this year plays out.

BlackNock
03-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Nice Goat and storey ! But dan ! dan ! dan ! your saying a GOS lied ??? really !!! :shock: come n now ! :wink: lol RJ

First off this guy is an outfitter as well.......fyi

BlackNock
03-20-2016, 07:32 PM
Ive known Kiff for years and people should have there facts straight before using peoples names in vain on a public forum. There is a ton of details being left out on this one. No fellow resident hunter would ever congratulate this post if they knew all the details behind this one!!!

REMINGTON JIM
03-20-2016, 07:35 PM
First off this guy is an outfitter as well.......fyi

Yea Pretty sure i knew that after being on here for 8 years and hunting BC for 45 + years and i am a CARD carrying member of the BC Conservative Party too ! But - Thks for the Heads up ! ;)

and Oh by the way where have you come from ? being ? :smile:

Cheers :smile: RJ

BlackNock
03-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Yea Pretty sure i knew that after being on here for 8 years and hunting BC for 45 + years and i am a CARD carrying member of the BC Conservative Party too ! But - Thks for the Heads up ! ;)

and Oh by the way where have you come from ? being ? :smile:

Cheers :smile: RJ

huh? come from? being?

bearvalley
03-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Ive known Kiff for years and people should have there facts straight before using peoples names in vain on a public forum. There is a ton of details being left out on this one. No fellow resident hunter would ever congratulate this post if they knew all the details behind this one!!!
X2 on this post.
The OP has a personal agenda and no one but a damn fool would applaud him on this thread or his other recent posts on this forum if they knew the rest of the story.
Best is to sit back and let it play out...it could get interesting.

Salty
03-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Here come the poor hard done by GOs. lmao

bearvalley
03-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Here come the poor hard done by GOs. lmao
Not at all Salty.
One thing I will say is that if someone publicly calls another man a liar on a public forum he had better make sure there are no skeletons in his own closet.

BlackNock
03-20-2016, 08:09 PM
x2!
Thats all I'm getting at.

I would love to see a picture of all the meat packed out between the 5 goats taken! 4 billies, 1 nannie!

Sharpish
03-20-2016, 08:50 PM
I don't know what the hell in talking about, but no one gives out a honey hole easy access goat spot on a public forum like that, it sounds like he's trying to encourage the hoardes to swarm that particular spot, maybe to screw the outfitter, who he perhaps took a disliking to.

danbrooks
03-20-2016, 09:33 PM
My philosophy is this, if I run into another hunter, whether I'm hunting for myself or guiding a client, I try to help them as much as I can. I'll tell them the game I saw, the trails or places to hunt, the facilities in the area. If I have a cabin there, I will offer to rent it to them. And my experience has been, these hunters become quick friends, who look out for me too. They tell me if someone vandalized my cabin, or tell their friends I'm a resident friendly outfitter and word gets around and pretty soon you've got a good relationship with fellas, and they respect you using the woods with them. And then they call me and ask to rent a cabin, and we talk hunt times to work around eachother so we aren't hunting the same place. And no one is making threats or yelling. And often, if a hunter comes and says he's going hunting in a honey hole, I go the other way and let him, and call it karma if you like, it seems like I almost always get game when I do that. Just seems to bring me good luck, and I plan to stick with this philosophy.

I think sometimes we all need to go hunt in a place like Utah where there's an orange vest every 100 yards, and then maybe we'd all appreciate that a place like Jarvis Lakes, which covers hundreds of square miles and by all accounts in the log book, rarely ever gets hunted, can stand to have a few more hunters there enjoying their passion that we all share - hunting.

I extended that same courtesy to the guides at Jarvis. They took a very different approach to me.

Xenomorph
03-20-2016, 09:37 PM
That went south fast, great billy though.

bearvalley
03-20-2016, 09:43 PM
x2!
Thats all I'm getting at.

I would love to see a picture of all the meat packed out between the 5 goats taken! 4 billies, 1 nannie!
I would like to see a picture of all 5 goats.

danbrooks
03-21-2016, 06:54 PM
I would if I could figure out how to post them, I get errors each time I attempt it, sorry, only the first one worked, every other time I try it tells me I've exceed my quota.

But if you're so worried about the "meat", let me reassure you that I gave all my pictures to the Conservation Officer who investigated a FALSE AND MALICIOUS REPORT that we wasted meat. I was immediately cleared and the investigation closed. I even packed out the grizzly meat from my griz I shot the next week, so don't preach to me about packing out meat, I go above and beyond to make sure I keep the law, there are no skeletons in my closet, as an outfitter I have way too much to lose to even think about any funny business.

And if you know all the details, I'm guessing you're the guy who reported me from second hand information from the guides I ran into, because they deny reporting me, but they're the only people I saw. Eric Hanson is that you? :) It's stuff like that that makes resident hunters hate outfitters you know. Trying to get residents hunters like I was in that situation in trouble to chase us out of the country. You had nothing to report me on but a grudge and a jealous streak because your guys never got goats and we did. Good luck with that, I won't be bullied by the likes of you, you give outfitters a bad name.

eric
03-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Dan, get back to leading the Conservatives to victory in the next election....
We need stand up people like yourself leading the charge..
Lot's could be done through Government...

Just saying......

swampthing
03-22-2016, 08:05 AM
My philosophy is this, if I run into another hunter, whether I'm hunting for myself or guiding a client, I try to help them as much as I can. I'll tell them the game I saw, the trails or places to hunt, the facilities in the area. If I have a cabin there, I will offer to rent it to them. And my experience has been, these hunters become quick friends, who look out for me too. They tell me if someone vandalized my cabin, or tell their friends I'm a resident friendly outfitter and word gets around and pretty soon you've got a good relationship with fellas, and they respect you using the woods with them. And then they call me and ask to rent a cabin, and we talk hunt times to work around eachother so we aren't hunting the same place. And no one is making threats or yelling. And often, if a hunter comes and says he's going hunting in a honey hole, I go the other way and let him, and call it karma if you like, it seems like I almost always get game when I do that. Just seems to bring me good luck, and I plan to stick with this philosophy.

I think sometimes we all need to go hunt in a place like Utah where there's an orange vest every 100 yards, and then maybe we'd all appreciate that a place like Jarvis Lakes, which covers hundreds of square miles and by all accounts in the log book, rarely ever gets hunted, can stand to have a few more hunters there enjoying their passion that we all share - hunting.

I extended that same courtesy to the guides at Jarvis. They took a very different approach to me.

Great philosophy. I like to treat other hunters the same way you do as well. Lots of country to hunt out there, even if you are in the same area with others. Being gracious of other successful hunters will probably help you in the long run. I have hunted this region as well but have never been to the area you were in. As I am getting old I don't know if I will hunt it again as it is crazy "kick your ass" country. Good lookin goat! As for the meat, my goat heads and cape usually weigh more than my meat bag! Pretty bony animals. I bet 5 boned out goats would fit in 2.5 good sized game bags.

Bugle M In
03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
It works both ways I guess,
Guides/Outfitters.....
Every time I shot/took a bull elk, the CO's would show up within hours of me having it back to camp........
Every time!!!!, yet, I would never see CO's otherwise?????
Who was the only one that I would speak to, or have knowledge that I just took an Elk???
Only the Outfitter, and his crew.
Ironically, later years, "they" (GO's) were the one's getting charged/fined (multiple times).....
and finally "booted" from their Location.
Nice pics on the Goats.
Thanks for the info on where to go, if one wants to hunt goats etc.
Congrats again.

Xenomorph
03-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Guides/Outfitters.....
Every time I shot/took a bull elk, the CO's would show up within hours of me having it back to camp........
Who was the only one that I would speak to, or have knowledge that I just took an Elk???
Ironically, later years, "they" (GO's) were the one's getting charged/fined (multiple times).....
Nice pics on the Goats.
Congrats again.

POS people you find at every turn. I consider myself lucky if I can hang onto the few good ones I meet in life.

Ambush
03-22-2016, 01:44 PM
I've been into Kakwa a few times. Hunted south of Jarvis by crossing the McGregor. Very fast, rocky and a real frantic canoe paddle over. Tie a line to a tree before leaving, then the way back is easy.
Always saw goats, but never a monster. Tough country to make a living in for a mountain dweller.

yamadirt 426
03-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the information Dan and congrats on a good hunt ! Haters are always gonna hate. Im glad your sticking up for the average hunter. Thanks for that !

Deadshot
03-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Guides/Outfitters.....
Nice pics on the Goats.
Congrats again.

Haha! I've learned that out in the bush, the guys preaching the regs, are more than likely the guys breaking them.