PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in the US?

AgSilver
03-19-2016, 12:50 AM
Noob here. Heading down to the US this weekend and figuring on a stop at Cabelas (ordered a six piece fly rod that'll be great for the backpack). Thinking of what else I may need that may still have better pricing down there, even with the shitty exchange.

I was thinking of looking at boots as I really only have light hikers at the moment. Anticipate doing some (not too extensive and relatively early season) backpack hunting as well as some ATV cruising with my pops. Also going to look at binos (was looking at the Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile ARC rangefinder as they have pretty good reviews, but apparently you're a ****ing idiot if you don't spend the cash on Swaros or Leica or Zeiss, if my reading on this site is correct...?)

Will just generally browse to see what's on special as well. Have got enough Camo and have a pretty decent daypack (don't have much of a pack for a couple of nights out there, though).

This hobby is a crazy one to start...especially for a self-professed gear junkie.

Any "off the cuff" ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, gents!

AgSilver
03-19-2016, 12:58 AM
And sorry, I don't know this forum well enough yet - probably should have posted this in the Gear section. My bad.

Wentrot
03-19-2016, 05:33 AM
There are lots of good bino options, don't buy in to the idea that you NEED to get Swaros, Leica or Zeiss. Although I would suggest you don't go cheap otherwise you will just end up upgrading soon after.

Iv got no idea about the binos you are looking at but just do your research and if people say they are good take a look thru em at the store and go from there.

RiverRunner
03-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Concentrate on the basics….. your feet are what get you around.

Agent Orange
03-19-2016, 08:39 AM
There are still some deals to be had, you just need to know what they cost back home and do the math. It would be beneficial to be able to look up the price back home to compare. Not sure if they have wifi at cabelas.

As as far as go, you don't need to break the bank as some people would suggest, but don't cheap out too much. I've heard great reviews for the vortex Diamondbacks, and they run about $350-400.

A couple years back I went down to buy some rubber boots. I tried on every pair they had and settled on the Irish setter rut masters. They gave considerably more ankle support then any of the others even though they were a little hard to get on and off due to the tightness around the ankles. I have worn the while packing elk quarters out of the bush and was quite impressed. Although I wouldn't want to hike in them all day every day. They make. Great atv riding boots and moose hunting boots for slopping around in the marshes.

RiverOtter
03-19-2016, 08:45 AM
If you're shopping for a range finder State side, check out the Sig Kilo 2000. I've heard lotsa good reviews on it and likely my next purchase.

knighthunter
03-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Maybe also check out ATV accessories, might see something that strikes your fancy.

Weatherby Fan
03-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Noob here. Heading down to the US this weekend and figuring on a stop at Cabelas (ordered a six piece fly rod that'll be great for the backpack). Thinking of what else I may need that may still have better pricing down there, even with the shitty exchange.

I was thinking of looking at boots as I really only have light hikers at the moment. Anticipate doing some (not too extensive and relatively early season) backpack hunting as well as some ATV cruising with my pops. Also going to look at binos (was looking at the Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile ARC rangefinder as they have pretty good reviews, but apparently you're a ****ing idiot if you don't spend the cash on Swaros or Leica or Zeiss, if my reading on this site is correct...?)

I think your missing the point on buying really good optics in the first place...........Binoculars for example.....yes its a huge expense in the first place and if your just hunting casually or a dedicated roadhunter like myself and Fisherdude it's probably not needed as there are many mid range price optics that are very good,
but what happens is a guy will buy a cheap set to get going and after a while say these suck or they fail or he has constant eyestrain.............then buys a bit better of a set and then a few years down the road wants a really good set,

so now your thinking of buying a third set or a fourth set and or finally buying high end binoculars.........but what guys are trying to tell you Phucking idiots :wink::wink: if you were patient or saved your money and bought a decent set in the first place (even used) you would probably have saved money and grief in the long run....................probably because some of us Phucking idiots have made that mistake:wink::mrgreen: and fully understanding that a lot of people or youngsters just getting into hunting this is not an option financially but the question gets asked a lot and that's the usual answer !

Granted todays mid range optics are extremely good for the money and you can buy amazingly bright and optically clear binoculars for between $800-$1200

Whonnock Boy
03-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Pretty tough to find any "deals" in the states with the exchange rate these days, but the selection down there for browsing is far greater than up here.

I'm with Weatherby fan regarding the binoculars, however, it is my belief that most people purchase lower end binoculars when starting out because they do not know just how far they will get into hunting. Fair enough..... I will suggest a used set of higher end glass. They will hold their value if you ever decide to sell, and will provide you with many years of pleasurable use if you continue to hunt.

takla1
03-19-2016, 11:17 AM
depends on your age and your commitment to the sport.If your young and absolutely commited to hunting/shooting for the rest of your days then id suggest doing what I did,buy the best quality optics/gun/sport wear your budget will permit.Im looking back at over 38 yrs of hunting and I'm still using the same exact quality gear that I spent an arm and a leg on all those yrs ago and other then the 3rd pair of same brand boots its all the original gear.
As for shopping across the border do your research on brands/quality and cost and compare to whats equivalent up here.The dollar exchange is killer but its getting better currently..since Before xmas Canadian $ is comeing back from under 70cents to curr3ent around 75 cents and heading higher I believe...maybe wait till summer and we may be around 80cent/us dollar making your purchase cheaper if your intent on spending down south

takla

Bugle M In
03-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Sometimes your best deals are online.
Make sure they are in Canadian prices, and also make sure the shipping is "free" or atleast reasonably priced.
The shipping can be the big "Scam"
Just came back from the States, Cabela's, and have to say, there wasn't that many great deals to be had.
Know your prices here beforehand!, that way you can tell if it is a great deal when you are down there.
Just my opinions

Whonnock Boy
03-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Exactly.... USPS is the United State Postal Service, and is usually the preferred method of shipping if a choice is provided. It should not be confused with UPS, United Parcel Service, one of major players when it comes to getting screwed on the shipping.

The shipping can be the big "Scam"

Singleshotneeded
03-19-2016, 02:12 PM

Will just generally browse to see what's on special as well. Have got enough Camo and have a pretty decent daypack (don't have much of a pack for a couple of nights out there, though).

This hobby is a crazy one to start...especially for a self-professed gear junkie.

Bushnell Fusion's glass isn't that great, if you want 99% of the optical quality of the Big 3 and you want to pay less than half price, look at Cabela's Euro HD, made by the Czech firm of Meopta, right next to Swaro's home country of Austria.

JDR
03-19-2016, 03:40 PM
I have found that you really need to do your research before buying in the US. With the exchange being so crappy right now most things are about the same price or even more expensive down there, but there are still deals to be had. For example, I just bought a brand new pair of binocs (one of top three brands), for $1,000 US, but in Canada they are over $2,000, so I still saved myself about $700.

Blockcaver
03-19-2016, 03:46 PM
If you do decide to buy in BC give Larry Fisher at Fisher's Hardware in Vernon a look or call. He was always very fair when I was buying Leica Rangefinders, Swaro binos and a Swaro spotting scope a few years ago.

Weatherby Fan
03-19-2016, 03:47 PM
If you do decide to buy on BC give Larry Fisher at Fisher's Hardware in Vernon a look or call. He was always very fair when I as buying Leica Rangefinders and Swaro binos and a spotting scope a few years ago.

does he have a website ? I heard this from another HBC member that his prices are fair

RiverOtter
03-19-2016, 04:31 PM
does he have a website ? I heard this from another HBC member that his prices are fair
Don't think so, just a phone number.....

I'll second chatting with Larry, first class guy and honest.

Pinewood
03-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Best to do your shopping online and pick it up from a p.o box at the border, not difficult seeing as your from Coquitlam. Amazing deals to be had if you shop for them.

http://www.campsaver.com/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Just a couple to get you started.

finngun
03-19-2016, 05:09 PM

Tqhanks in advance, gents!
if ya heading u s only for the weekend...tax free shopping is fairly limited..anything else,,not worth to try to cheat...might cost away more than here,,,in that case.......i didn t say ya wanna try that..:shock:just let ya know..have good shopping f..g

Rookie Hunter
03-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Vortex Optics has great gear for reasonable prices. Bino's for example. We use Vortex Diamondbacks 10x42. Sure they aren't top notch but they are only a couple hundred dollars and no complaints so far. Great warranty. Not sure I'd be buying anything in the US with the $ at .76!

Keep an eye on Wholesale Sports for gear on sale.

Loy
03-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Was at Cabelas in in states today and bought a pelican hard case for 2 rifles with scope on sale for 200.00 Dollar is at .77 . Border guard was nice enough to wave me thru although he said 12% duty + tax is required. Free trade?
Overall I think it was worth it. Lots of product and sales there today.

bighornbob
03-19-2016, 05:59 PM
You can't just go browsing down there or you will get screwed. Even before the dollar went into the toilet some things were cheaper up here. You have to do your research on what you want and then see if it's cheaper up here or down there. When stuff is on sale down there, even with the dollar, it's usually cheaper. But know your prices, don't assume it might bite up you in the ass.

REMINGTON JIM
03-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Was at Cabelas in in states today and bought a pelican hard case for 2 rifles with scope on sale for 200.00 Dollar is at .77 . Border guard was nice enough to wave me thru although he said 12% duty + tax is required. Free trade?
Overall I think it was worth it. Lots of product and sales there today.

FREE TRADE only applies if the product is made in the US or Mex - not if its a import product from china - japan - korea or anywhere else for that matter ! :icon_frow RJ

Loy
03-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Case is pelican made in US. As RJ stated, free trade Should not apply...

reach
03-19-2016, 07:08 PM
If you buy GMRS radios in the States they have 5 watts transmit power. Those you can buy here are limited to 2 watts. Of course the US ones would be illegal to use here and should only be used while traveling in the US. ;)

JDR
03-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Keep in mind also that just because it's not made in North America, duties may still not apply because the item receives preferential treatment. In the case of binoculars, I believe there's no duty no matter where it's made. List of tariffs can be found here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2016/menu-eng.html

Cdn-Redneck
03-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Also duty free is for import duties from the states, you can still be made to pay the sales tax on your purchase that has nothing to do with the free trade agreement. PST+GST=12%

j270wsm
03-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Pretty sure your not allowed to buy range finding devices in the states. Called cabelas in the states to get a price on a leupold vx 3 b & c, the lady wouldn't give me a price. Said she wasn't allowed to sell it to me so she had no reason to give me a price. Only explanation she gave was that I am not allowed to buy/posses anything that is or could be used to determine distance.

elkhunter1
03-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Cabelas usa exit 202 I-5 sucks everything way too expensive

Dash
03-19-2016, 10:47 PM
If you're not in a hurry, it might be worth waiting for the Cabelas in Abby or the Bass Pro in Tsawwassen to open.

Bugle M In
03-19-2016, 10:53 PM
If you buy GMRS radios in the States they have 5 watts transmit power. Those you can buy here are limited to 2 watts. Of course the US ones would be illegal to use here and should only be used while traveling in the US. ;)

ummmmm....might have been what I was looking for?????:mrgreen:

Singleshotneeded
03-20-2016, 12:06 AM

And in the US you need a radio licence for those 5 watt radios, so you're still an outlaw!

AgSilver
03-20-2016, 02:44 AM
Thanks for all of your thoughts. I will def cross reference pricing based on exchange. Cabelas.ca has the Euro HD binos for less than they have them here in USD. But they aren't Swarovski, are they?

RiverOtter
03-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Meopta I believe...

bighornbob
03-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Pretty sure your not allowed to buy range finding devices in the states. Called cabelas in the states to get a price on a leupold vx 3 b & c, the lady wouldn't give me a price. Said she wasn't allowed to sell it to me so she had no reason to give me a price. Only explanation she gave was that I am not allowed to buy/posses anything that is or could be used to determine distance.

The VX3 is a scope and any thing that attaches to a gun is considered a implement of war and not not be brought back.A range finding device can be brought back, I would use my range finder on the golf course to determine distance .

Bhb

AgSilver
03-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Meopta I believe...

sorry, rhetorical

AgSilver
03-20-2016, 09:21 AM
The VX3 is a scope and any thing that attaches to a gun is considered a implement of war and not not be brought back.A range finding device can be brought back, I would use my range finder on the golf course to determine distance .

Bhb

if I understand it correctly, it's not that it can't be brought back (i.e. That it's a Canadian import regulation) but rather that it can't be sent out (i.e. That it's a US export regulation).

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm

Ohwildwon
03-20-2016, 09:31 AM
I have an account at Pacific Mail & Parcel in Blaine. This gives you a proper physical address south of the border. Fedx, UPS, won't deliver to a PO box...

As I go down weekly or bi weekly for gas, I try to break up my purchases to keep them under $200 if possible, they usually wave you through if this is the case..

I also found that bringing more then two jerry cans for gas is a no no.

I was warned that they would have me pay the tax on any substantial fuel purchases not in the vehicles proper gas tank...

Like people have said, get out your calculator, do your homework...

There are good deals still to be had. The savings add up quickly....

The dollars recent rebound is definitely starting to make a difference also... :)

j270wsm
03-20-2016, 09:37 AM
If I understand the law ( as explained to my father when stopped by homeland security ) about firearms, ammunition and reloading components. There is nothing saying you can't purchase all or some of the items. The law makes it illegal for us to posses/transport them. I've never been asked for identification when in sporting goods stores in the USA. They told him that your allowed to buy up to 1000 rounds of ammo while hunting in the states and then able to take then remaining amount home.

bighornbob
03-20-2016, 09:51 AM
if I understand it correctly, it's not that it can't be brought back (i.e. That it's a Canadian import regulation) but rather that it can't be sent out (i.e. That it's a US export regulation).

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/import-importer-eng.htm

That is correct, nothing against the law for buying or taking across the border. Our border guards don't care as long as you pay the tax if required.

The actual law is the possession by a non-US citizen and the export. So as happened in the past to a few they get stopped by the ATF miles from the border as they are in possession of said goods.

I thought I could get around this as we were planning on going down with a friend that was a US citizen that lived up here. I thought they could buy the gun and at the border they hand it over to me. But then the export law is there that the US citizen has not applied for the export permit.

Its the export permit which is the reason why most all the big stores won't mail you the product. They can do it legally but it's a pain in the ass so they just don't do it. There are companies that specialize in the exporting of guns and such but they charge a lot that it's not worth the couple hundred you save buying there. If you won a $1000 rifle at a sports mans show then it would be worth spending the money to have it exported.

Bhb

okas
03-20-2016, 10:27 AM
If you do decide to buy in BC give Larry Fisher at Fisher's Hardware in Vernon a look or call. He was always very fair when I was buying Leica Rangefinders, Swaro binos and a Swaro spotting scope a few years ago.
yes... he was great bought a few things over the years ... a big fat bast-rd spoiled it all doing the bla bla bla as in another store and the SWARO rep. got involved ... i just love people :evil:

Singleshotneeded
03-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all of your thoughts. I will def cross reference pricing based on exchange. Cabelas.ca has the Euro HD binos for less than they have them here in USD. But they aren't Swarovski, are they?

Meopta, a Czech firm next door to Swarovski in Austria...99% of the optics, less than half the price...
I found mine on Ebay being auctioned, and got them for $800...at the time they were $1000 USD at Cabelas.com.

Weatherby Fan
03-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Meopta, a Czech firm next door to Swarovski in Austria...99% of the optics, less than half the price...
I found mine on Ebay being auctioned, and got them for $800...at the time they were $1000 USD at Cabelas.com.

I see a pair of Meopta HD 10x42 on ebay for $775.00 USD of course, but still a good deal even with the exchange, could get them up here for $1050.00cdn give or take a few $s.........

Elkaholic1977
03-20-2016, 03:08 PM
I live in Osoyoos been a frequent shopper in the US until dollar took a dive. I used to get through the border with a substantial dollar value on items but since the dollar downward spiral the traffic is considerably less and now it seems guys are pulled in everytime to pay duty and taxes. I believe they have a quota to collect on taxes plus much more free time on their hands to collect. So be prepared to be brought in! I only watch online now and make purchases but its got to be a smoking deal usually better to shop locally now the shop owners are more appreciative and can help you out if you become a frequent customer. Check out Irish setter elk trackers very happy with purchase bought them at fritz in penticton and they have been an absolute pleasure to deal with! Pricing competitive as well. Also watch craigslist, kijiji and castanet someones used stuff might just fill the gap!

Pinewood
03-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Crossed the border to pick up a 150$ purchase today and got through no duty/taxes.

goatdancer
03-20-2016, 08:36 PM
If I understand the law ( as explained to my father when stopped by homeland security ) about firearms, ammunition and reloading components. There is nothing saying you can't purchase all or some of the items. The law makes it illegal for us to posses/transport them. I've never been asked for identification when in sporting goods stores in the USA. They told him that your allowed to buy up to 1000 rounds of ammo while hunting in the states and then able to take then remaining amount home.

The second you pay for those items and pick up the bag they are in you now in possession of them. That means you are breaking US laws. Homeland Security takes things extremely seriously. They will burn your butt.

j270wsm
03-21-2016, 09:24 AM
The second you pay for those items and pick up the bag they are in you now in possession of them. That means you are breaking US laws. Homeland Security takes things extremely seriously. They will burn your butt.

Other than your wording, you said the same thing that I had previously stated. "Buying the items isn't illegal, it's being in possession of said items that gets you in trouble".

AgSilver
03-22-2016, 07:49 PM
So I'm going to get the Euro HDs. Seems like best bang for the buck. I'll return the Bushnell Fusions to Amazon.

Shopping in the US was mostly a bust. Picked up a BinoBro Pro (Oregon Pack Works) and a Cabela's Stowaway 6 7'6" 4 wt fly rod for the backpack. That was about it. Oh, and wine at Costco, of course :)