PDA

View Full Version : sylvester road

Mephizto
03-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Hey I am looking to go shooting @ sylvester but i heard conflicting stories on it. I talked to one buddy and said that he was out shooting there a month ago but another buddy said the gate was locked 2 weeks ago. Has anything changed? Sorry I don't know where to look for info on it.

takla1
03-16-2016, 06:05 PM
what gate?? I haven't been up this yr yet but there hasn't been a gate that I know of especially befor the shooting pit

takla

Wentrot
03-16-2016, 06:10 PM
Ya....no main gate that I am aware of. Place can be a bit of a shit show though if you go to the easily accessed areas- surrey "rednecks" playground.

Ride Red
03-16-2016, 06:18 PM
There isn't a gate to worry about. Go early and you shouldn't have a problem getting a spot.

Bigd74
03-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Just watch where you shoot. Lots of 4x trails up there. I have been on one trail and a father and son were/ started shooting down it thinking it was just a dry creek

604Stalker
03-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Im up there a fair bit.. Pick up your shells and know whats behind your target roads a bit rough at the moment pothole wise. Have a gooder

RackStar
03-16-2016, 07:57 PM
April 1 there will be no shooting and will be in the regs. (Can't 100% confirm but was told by someone who works with the parks I saw up there)
good.
That place is a shit show. Dumbass ******s giving us a bad name. Shooting garbage. Leaving trash.
But then now all the other low key spots will feel the overflow cause the retatds will have no where to go.
Wont surprise me one bit when they ban shooting there. Idiots did it to themselves. (Let's bring our old tv and shoot it!!! F*ck ya!!! My rifles shooting SUB TV.

hoochie
03-16-2016, 10:01 PM
I used to shoot up there back in the early 90's, there wasn't a gate then, there isn't a gate now. Maybe your one friend wasn't sure where he was at, or misunderstood where you were asking about.
Sylvester road is off mission HWY, hang a left at the gas station, stay to the right at the fork in the road.... go to the end, you hit the FSR. Keep going up the hill.. and just keep going. A long time ago friends used to drive their cars up there, I was up there last year in my 4X4 and almost lost a filling in my back tooth. worst road ever. I think they let it go to shit to keep people away.

Mephizto
03-16-2016, 10:11 PM
thanks for the info. Apparently my buddy said their was a gate just off the main road before it hits the gravel road. I haven't been there in a year so I thought i would ask. Don't worry I will be heading up their early and I will be cleaning all my shells and such. I also quad up their a bit so I will be real careful of where i shoot. Thanks once again.

Busterpayton54
03-16-2016, 10:31 PM
He's thinking of somewhere else. The ONLY gates are on a couple Spurs. There are so many trails up there that most would have a hard time even comprehending, even people that frequent the area. You've really got no idea what trails might be just out of sight in the tree line. I personally know of a few trucks/buggies taking hits from people shooting in a " safe" direction. It's so crazy up there that I almost believe the Rcmp are allowing it, waiting for a tragedy to further their agenda.

Alienation
03-17-2016, 06:02 AM
I've been up there a few times, and ya it's a gong show. The only places that I found to be safe shooting at was a couple places against a large dirt backdrop. Found a few people shooting across the road at targets, really don't understand the logic some people have on how they think that is even remotely a good idea...garbage everywhere and not surprised if they do shut it down. Last time I was up there I did a bit of clean up in my area, much more than I brought in

Bigd74
03-17-2016, 08:51 AM
I always clean up leftover shells. So annoying

Alienation
03-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Bottles and cans are another thing up there...littered everywhere...if it wasn't so bad up there with garbage and idiotic shooters, it would be a nice place to take the family for a weekend getaway, couple small lakes and picturesque scenery

Pinewood
03-17-2016, 08:54 PM
I went up there once and I disgusted by the mess. It's sad to see people abuse the land this way. I won't go back.

scoutlt1
03-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Used to really enjoy an occasional trip up to Kenyon Lake.
Haven't been for years because of the stupidity, and have no plans of going back.

Just ridiculous.

Big Lew
03-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Used to really enjoy an occasional trip up to Kenyon Lake.
Haven't been for years because of the stupidity, and have no plans of going back.

Just ridiculous.

I used to go in that huge area when they were still logging. They had a manned gate at
that time up on top of the hill before Davis Lake. I enjoyed hunting, fishing, and hiking
for many years until the yahoos, idiots, and morons invaded the place. I used to drive to
Stave Lake and launch my canoe across from the hydro tunnel and paddle up to the river,
which gave me access to the logging roads of the Upper Stave River system.
Because of the gong show, mess, and risk of vandalism, I haven't been in there for several
years....and don't expect to again.

ruger#1
03-18-2016, 12:28 AM
Used to be nice when the gate was up.Then the gate came down. A few years later. It turned into a party hole for the city idiot's. They are cleaning up the westside. It is in the district of Mission. Sylvester is unincorporated. The people that live in the area are trying to shut it down. On the weekends Sylvester and Stave lake street turn into race a race track. I used to go camping every weekend up there. I wouldn't go back there if you paid me.