PDA

View Full Version : best boots for caribou area...

capt hook
03-15-2016, 07:52 PM
I just have a pair of old sorels with liner , and am thinking of upgrading and really want support and comfort and not get sore feet in a hour.
the ones i got are great for atv driving or sitting on a stump ....but i wanna walk and not be in pain.
suggestions?

Coachman
03-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Depends how cold it is when you go. . I have a pair of han wag Alaska GTX. I can walk all day in them and they are waterproof.

I used them in Nunavut when I was there for a month and only got cold feet a couple times; but it was - 45 on the thermometer.

Rackmastr
03-15-2016, 09:16 PM
What time of year are you hunting?

I hunted mid Sept last year and it was cold and snowy/rainy for most of it. I wore a pair of Meindl Winter 800's that were a bit warmer than my Lowa Tibets and was glad I did.

Lowa Hunter Extremes are a good option for a mid-season boot. We encountered a TON of standing water in the low areas and having a pair of good muck boots was really important at camp.

Drillbit
03-15-2016, 10:29 PM
Buy some Dunlop's.

http://www.gemplers.com/img/dunlop-purofort-thermo-193123-lrg.jpg (http://www.gemplers.com/product/193123/Dunlop-Purofort-Thermo-Boots)

warnniklz
03-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Best part of the caribbo is you can have catus riddled grassland to mucky swamps to poplar stands to old growth forest laden with devils club to rocky cliff faces

RackStar
03-16-2016, 06:57 AM
Buy dunlops you will be in pain.

capt hook
03-16-2016, 02:15 PM
when i wear my old Sorels , with liner , i,m in pain...i think any gum boot style without laces will also be painful ,
we will be hunting early fall as soon as it opens , so should not be shockingly cold yet.
i want warm , comfort , and dry.....thats not asking alot is it? hehehehe..... thanks

TPK
03-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Any quality leather boot with thinsulate should be more than adequate. I got some Irish Setter Elk Trackers, very warm and comfy.

howa1500
03-16-2016, 06:05 PM
Cowboy boots....

260rem
03-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Irish Setter elk trackers,I love mine no sore feet ever and never regretted the money spent.

Caribou_lou
03-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Best boots for Caribou... Ones that walk for you! Make sure they are waterproof and you break them in. You will be in them for most of the hunt. If you are flying in bring 2 pair and leave one pair bagged at the lake. Nothing worse than wet feet in my opinion.

Liptugger
03-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Another vote for Elk trackers

northernbc
03-17-2016, 01:29 AM
are you serious, boots for the caribou, your normal bush boots.now I need atlin boots, and ek boots etc. it does not make sense.

Backwoods
03-17-2016, 06:23 AM
I have had my danners for ten years now, amazing boots still holding up!!! Next boot I buy is going to be the lowa Gtx extreme, have a few buddies that have them now that spend more time in the bush then the average outdoorsman and they said the Gtx has been the best boot they have ever purchased!!

Elkaholic1977
03-17-2016, 06:47 AM
love my elk trackers so do all of my hunting buddies we all have them! We call them our slippers so comfortable.

Frango
03-17-2016, 08:07 AM
Irish Setter elk trackers,I love mine no sore feet ever and never regretted the money spent.
Ditto..Great boot

wideopenthrottle
03-17-2016, 08:20 AM
when i wear my old Sorels , with liner , i,m in pain...i think any gum boot style without laces will also be painful ,
we will be hunting early fall as soon as it opens , so should not be shockingly cold yet.
i want warm , comfort , and dry.....thats not asking alot is it? hehehehe..... thanks

I often use the old ice fishing specials (rubber boots with liners). they are great for snow, muck, water and all the in between stages of same....only place I would strongly advise not to use them is on steep slopes of any kind (think goat or sheep)-harder to side hill walk or dig in the toe nails for climbing up hill....the key is to get the right fit...I get them 1 size smaller than I would normally get and/or I have used an extra sole liner or a second pair of socks to snug them up...if they fight snugly I easily put 8-10 km per day of hunting on them...for hiking in longer distances I would prefer hiking style boots

charlie_horse
03-17-2016, 09:11 AM
I can't stand my elk trackers in steeper stuff but for everything else I love them. Just bought a pair of lowa hunters that seem quite comfy out of the box.

MichelD
03-17-2016, 09:23 AM
I try to bring three pairs if not four everywhere, light hikers, heavy hikers(I have German army boots) and my rubber Kamiks with felt insulation. And sometimes my insulated Cabela's winter snow hikers if snow is likely.

Lot of varied country there.

DarekG
03-18-2016, 09:21 AM
+1 for Irish Setter Elk trackers.
They are well worth the money.

I have the ones with 1000g thinsulate, even used them in July for a 30KM hike through the Rockies and it was no problem. Got a bit sweaty but nothing I couldn't handle.

doubled
03-18-2016, 12:58 PM
I have had my danners for ten years now, amazing boots still holding up!!! Next boot I buy is going to be the lowa Gtx extreme, have a few buddies that have them now that spend more time in the bush then the average outdoorsman and they said the Gtx has been the best boot they have ever purchased!!

Bought the Lowas two years ago and they are awesome. Feet do not get tired or wet. Best boot I have owned.

tinhorse
03-18-2016, 01:23 PM
flip flops. They dry fast and allow your feet to breath.

tinhorse
03-18-2016, 01:24 PM
I also have lowa's, very good boot, but its no flip flop

Moe.JKU
03-18-2016, 01:39 PM
I had the elk trackers and liked them, never could understand paying more than that for boots. They did breakdown pretty fast though.

Just got Hanwag Alaska GTX and will never go back, by far the best thing I've put on my feet.

warnniklz
03-18-2016, 01:53 PM
... but its no flip flop

My go to spring bear hunting footwear

two-feet
03-18-2016, 02:57 PM
When moose hunting in a swamp its some sort of insulated gum boot, my buddies seem to like the neoprene style muck boots. But if something goes down and i have to pack meat, its a high quality pair of hikers, even if that means water up to my nutz. Nothing a warm fire and a bottle of rum wont fix

rose
03-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Irish Setter, Elk Trackers, all the way!

burger
03-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Agree elk trackers are the bomb