PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth / Google Pro

Arctic Lake
03-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Hi Fellas

I would like to know about Google Earth and Google Earth Pro . Is Google Earth Pro what you guy's use to check out possible hunting areas ? Are the images current ? Does it give 3D images ? Is it free ?

Thanks !
Arctic Lake

Mikey Rafiki
03-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Google will actually answer all of your questions about Google Earth. There are many tutorials as well. https://support.google.com/earth/?hl=en#topic=4363013

But yes it's free, images vary and are often quite out of date and it does have 3-D terrain. With the amount of logging still happening I don't trust much. Most of the areas I hunt the images are 12 years old, so the nice cut blocks are grown in and the nice forested areas have been mowed down.

Slinky Pickle
03-15-2016, 04:12 PM
There is an add on available for Google Earth that will overlay Bing maps. The Bing maps aren't' necessarily always better or always worse but in some areas, the images are newer than the standard Google Earth ones.

http://ge-map-overlays.appspot.com/bing-maps

Arctic Lake
03-15-2016, 04:44 PM
Thanks Mikey and Slinky ! I will check out both of the links you provided .Hmmm.... so is there anyway to get up to date images of an area you are interested in ?

Thanks !
rctic Lake

Slinky Pickle
03-15-2016, 05:39 PM
so is there anyway to get up to date images of an area you are interested in ?

Not without a camera and an aircraft. :)

Bugle M In
03-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Also, when you zoom in (Bing Maps), suddenly a forested area will become a cutblock!!??

brian
03-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Zooming out will often get you a more current map. The larger images are updated more frequently than the small scale images.

Slinky Pickle
03-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Also, when you zoom in (Bing Maps), suddenly a forested area will become a cutblock!!??

Often the low res, high altitude images and the high res, low altitude images are taken at different times. You'll often see snowy patches until you zoom in and find a snow free image.