PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Protection

Dustee
03-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Good day my fellow HBCers.

As posted below, I'm exceptionally new to hunting. I believe I mentioned that I hope to be doing some alpine hunting this fall for mule and possibly elk (Goat might happen, but one step at a time). One question keeps coming up in discussions with my possible hunting partner. When hunting alpine, what is suggested for protection, or is it even needed? Would it be advisable to have a higher caliber rifle to start with (300WSM, .375, etc) or should we be fine with our .270/.308. Since we are backpacking we are trying to stay relatively light and shaving oz where I can. We are already torn between a few places where we should start scouting vs how far away EK is compared to the LM where we live. Hopefully this question will put to rest this part of the planning!

CJ

brian
03-14-2016, 11:42 AM
I am making a big assumption that if you are exceptionally new to hunting then you are probably very new to shooting as well. If not, then I apologize. You will do yourself a big disservice over gunning yourself if you don't know how to shoot yet. You're better off carrying bear spray than a gun you don't shoot well.

Dustee
03-14-2016, 11:46 AM
I Suppose I Should have mentioned that in the post up top! I am not new to shooting as I have been shooting guns ranging from 22LR and 410, up to .308//270/300WM since I was about 8. Shooting out to 400-600yrds isn't new to me. Squirrels/paper and pumpkins are a lot different than a game animal :). The hunting aspect is new, as well as backpacking and camping at higher elevations.

CJ

nicktrehearne
03-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Take bear spray for protection. If you're rifle hunting, take whatever gun you are most comfortable shooting that is big enough for the species you're hunting. (270 is more than enough if you put the shot in the right spot) There is no need whatsoever to over gun yourself, because you're worried about what's out there...

Mikey Rafiki
03-14-2016, 12:10 PM
We ran into a nice grizz last year while making the last stalk towards a bedded goat. They love it up high earlier in the season as that's where the best food is.

If you are just as comfortable with a bigger gun then I would not be too worried about saving a few ounces there, or you could be coming back short a few pounds of flesh or worse...

PS: there are no mule deer left in the EK, they are all in Region 8

wideopenthrottle
03-14-2016, 12:24 PM
We ran into a nice grizz last year while making the last stalk towards a bedded goat. They love it up high earlier in the season as that's where the best food is.

If you are just as comfortable with a bigger gun then I would not be too worried about saving a few ounces there, or you could be coming back short a few pounds of flesh or worse...

PS: there are no mule deer left in the EK, they are all in Region 8

you say that as a joke I think, but on all 3 trips there in the last 4 years I have filled my WT tags and gone up high for mule deer (6 honest efforts) in EK I have not seen any sign of MD period...of course they are there but it seems goats are easier to come by there....

goatdancer
03-14-2016, 03:06 PM
you say that as a joke I think, but on all 3 trips there in the last 4 years I have filled my WT tags and gone up high for mule deer (6 honest efforts) in EK I have not seen any sign of MD period...of course they are there but it seems goats are easier to come by there....

That's because the goats are way easier to spot............:p

wideopenthrottle
03-14-2016, 03:22 PM
That's because the goats are way easier to spot............:p

true....I've seen lots of goats by glassing up towards the peaks..I have seen young sheep on the road near bull mountain and WT everywhere yet not one mulie up there seen by me...(and I am always looking)...again, I know they're there , I just haven't seen any yet in 3 trips of 10-14 days each...

wideopenthrottle
03-14-2016, 03:44 PM
on topic though, we had a grizz come into camp on our second night and steal a deer from our meat pole it rained hard that night so the dog snuck in the tent and was hearing impaired....we were camped between bull creek and the FSR @50km up so river noise also)...we set up a game cam and lots of ropes with cans tied to them the next night...we also set up a rope to a step ladder with a 5 gal pail of cans and plastic bottles ready to wake us up...every night after the grizz came in and sniffed around enough to alert the dog we woke up and fired off a few shotgun blasts to scare it off..we have game cam footage of it and on every video we can hear the dog barking so we know she did her job the rest of the trip (only lost the one deer, the other 5 went home with us)

RackStar
03-14-2016, 05:08 PM
If I'm hunting in grizz country and I could choose between a 270 and a 300, I would take the 300 without any thought. I guess to some on here that would make me less of a man. But real world, you prob won't have to use it to fend for your life, just nice to have that sense of security in your head.

BChunter
03-14-2016, 05:35 PM
One important message, if you get game, hang away from your camp and keep clean. You couldn't be safer with some meat hanging in a tree a little ways away. A griz won't bother you and one animal will keep him very happy. Don't leave the antlers with the meat and tie them to a tree.
270's have killed lots of bears and a 375 won't if the bullet doesn't go vital. We sleep with a loaded rifle in the tent, just in case a shot needs to be fired. Practice quick shots that would stop or slow a real charge. We also start a fire to dress an animal first thing, and lean all loaded guns within close reach while on the carcass.

Gateholio
03-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Your .270 is pretty good protection for 99% of the situations you may find your self in.

Downtown
03-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Good day my fellow HBCers.

As posted below, I'm exceptionally new to hunting. I believe I mentioned that I hope to be doing some alpine hunting this fall for mule and possibly elk (Goat might happen, but one step at a time). One question keeps coming up in discussions with my possible hunting partner. When hunting alpine, what is suggested for protection, or is it even needed? Would it be advisable to have a higher caliber rifle to start with (300WSM, .375, etc) or should we be fine with our .270/.308. Since we are backpacking we are trying to stay relatively light and shaving oz where I can. We are already torn between a few places where we should start scouting vs how far away EK is compared to the LM where we live. Hopefully this question will put to rest this part of the planning!

CJ

Most places in BCs Rockys Alpine starts at elevation of 4600ft. Now the cover is sparse and habitat generally poor so this is the place where all the crap hangs out like Sows with Cubs, Sub adults and so on. Rarely will a really big Boar come up here, the like to patrol and guard there lowland heavens where Beaver is plentyfull.

Becouse life is much tougher in the Alpine, those Grizzlys tend to be much more aggressive and may want to argue with you over the Meat or hide you have in Camp.

A reliable Rifle (Action) in a suitable caliber is a must. If you Backpack every ounce counts, forget the Bearspray a "backup" Gun and the cast iron Frying Pan. Use a Tarp instead a Tent so you are not confined in a Sack.

Cheers

Dustee
03-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I have read some stories of encounters on this site, as well as the advice that follows those stories. The wild can be a crazy and unpredictable place and the key is to be prepared, or as prepared as you can be for that 1% chance of something going wrong. Since there are at least 2 of us going, possibly 3, having 3 reliable rifles in calibers we are comfortable in makes the most sense. Thankfully between the 2/3 of us we will have what we need and still be able to be shaving the ounces! Now for the ridiculous search for a proper backpack. This is addicting, and so so so much work!

CJ

boxhitch
03-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Always a topic with good fodder for this slow time of year.
The reality is 10's of 1000's of people go into the woods every year for various activities and never worry about 'defense'.
1000's of hunters go into the hills with no hint of trouble , even in the midst of some stinky bloody surroundings.
But if you really want to take things to the Nth degree in safety , stay at home because you are more likely to have a vehicle accident than any interaction with problem wildlife.

But always use protection , even in the alpine.

Ambush
03-15-2016, 01:00 PM
But always use protection , even in the alpine.

Are you talking guns or condoms??

Dustee
03-15-2016, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking both.

CJ

Squamch
03-16-2016, 07:50 AM
Are you talking guns or condoms??

a condom over the end of the barrel will keep anything sticky from getting into it!

does that clear things up???

Ambush
03-16-2016, 08:07 AM
a condom over the end of the barrel will keep anything sticky from getting into it!

And all this time I thought a condom was to keep stuff from getting out! :?: :frown:

I think the risk is very low, according to statistics, that you will have a problem. But if having some protection you're confident with, lets you hunt longer and better, then you should use it. I've bow hunted for years, in the bush and mountains, with nothing but bear spray and never worried about it. That said, last year I bought a 12" barreled 870 and plan to have it around for returning to a carcass. I'm not going to use it for back pack hunts, the spray will do for that.

It's all about your comfort and risk tolerance. You can't hunt effectively if you are constantly worrying about bears or can't sleep at night.

MichelD
03-16-2016, 08:15 AM
"The reality is 10's of 1000's of people go into the woods every year for various activities and never worry about 'defense'."

No need to be complacent but the above is very true. I know dozens of hiker types who wouldn't dream of carrying a gun and I only know of two parties who have had any kind of grizzly encounter. One is a landscape painter mtn. climber who had a standoff over an alpine water hole with a bear.

The other was a group of people hiking near Bralone. A couple with small children were treed by a griz, or so they said, their three friends got away and found someone on horseback with a gun who came and fired a shot and griz took off. It was very well documented in the press. The mother of the children was a reporter for the Province, one other person was a photographer for the Vancouver Sun, and another person on the trip was a CBC reporter.

RackStar
03-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Had a black bear sniffing outside my tent this year. It woke me up. Gently coughed, it left. Went back to sleep.
They are not all out to get you. Just curiosity.

Dustee
03-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Besides having some encounters while hiking, I also read this thread and just figured we might as well be over prepared instead of just prepared.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?40606-Brambles-and-Rattler-GRIZZLY-ATTACK-sheep-adventure

The mother of the children was a reporter for the Province, one other person was a photographer for the Vancouver Sun, and another person on the trip was a CBC reporter.

There has to be a joke somewhere that starts with this.

CJ

MichelD
03-16-2016, 10:55 AM
Besides having some encounters while hiking, I also read this thread and just figured we might as well be over prepared instead of just prepared.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?40606-Brambles-and-Rattler-GRIZZLY-ATTACK-sheep-adventure

There has to be a joke somewhere that starts with this.

CJ

It really happened. In fact the CBC reporter's husband was also a reporter. I just can't remember who he worked for.

They dropped their packs at the bottom of the tree and the bear ripped them open and ate the shitty diapers.

NorBC
03-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Like many said don't over gun yourself. Bear spray is great, it's all I take and have never had to use it. IMHO best thing I bring is ear plugs.. I sleep much better, and my mind doesn't wander on me every time I hear a noise. Grizzly panic is pretty much just a hunter mentality, I know so many outdoors non hunters that spend days in the alpine and it never crosses their mind.

brian
03-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Non-hunters don't hunker down over fresh kill sites or pack out a dead carcass on their backs. I think hunters are more worried because they are more of a target. Also we usually do everything wrong when it comes to being bear aware, we travel into the wind, conceal ourselves, and try to move quietly. It can lead to more close encounters. Yes I think we over do it when talking about predator danger, but then again every year there are a couple of news stories about hunters getting attacked.