PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunting at dawn

o2fish2day
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Hello all,

I am going bear hunting at dawn on Saturday. I haven't been before. The weather is expected to be very hot during the day so I expect the bears would be up and moving about at dawn. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks

bochunk2000
05-31-2007, 10:00 PM
I normally see them from about 9:00 on to dusk. If its hot then late afternoon would be the best time after it starts to cool down. Just my oppinion. Good luck out there and remember your camera.
Steve.

bruin
05-31-2007, 10:03 PM
It has been MY EXPERIENCE that bears are alot like teenagers. I can't remember seeing a bear early in the morning (I'm sure someone can prove me wrong) I have noticed that they will come out for a feeding around lunch time until mid afternoon then in for a nap and then at dusk they all come out to feed for the night. Because I am lazy I usually wait until about 10:00 to start hunting, a nap for myself around 3-4:00, and go all day right until dark. I schedule my day so I spend peak feeding times in my favorite spots.

o2fish2day
06-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Any more opinions?

hutch
06-01-2007, 06:56 AM
ive found 10 till noon and just before dusk

livingston
06-01-2007, 07:00 AM
I haven't seen many bears early in the morning till after 10-11 o'clock, usually afternoon is better and into the evening is when the bears seem to come out to feed.

calvin L
06-01-2007, 07:09 AM
That is the best part about bearing hunting sleeping in .( my wife thinks we are busting it from dawn to dusk as I am tired when I get home . that just from all the food ):wink: On our trip is was bear o clock 10:00-2:00 nap 2:30-5:30 hunt til dark and walk out . We did not see any bears in the early am out of the trailer:mrgreen:

model88
06-01-2007, 07:11 AM
I just spent a week guiding for bears, it took all of one day to convince my hunters that not much activity happens before 10-11 am. All the bears we seen were from 11 through till dark.

hunter1947
06-01-2007, 07:13 AM
I would go early ,if you don't see any bears ,you might see some deer ,cork it up as a scouting trip for deer as well.

boxhitch
06-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Friday and sunday I was travelling about at the early hours, on those two days saw 14 bears between 6 and 9 am, along the highways. nothing over 6 ft. but some nice hides. No sightings between 4 and 6 am though.

GoatGuy
06-01-2007, 08:03 AM
See them first thing sometimes - seems like youfind grizz hitting the slides early sometimes but evening's always the best and as Calvin says it makes for long days otherwise.

TRACKnTRAIL
06-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I have seen lots of bears in the morning, especially during hot weather. Besides if I stick around the house too long in the morning the wife finds some chores that need to be done, and hunting and not seeing bears is still better than that!:twisted:

Hank Hunter
06-01-2007, 08:14 AM
always see lots late afternoon, early evening.

Wildman
06-01-2007, 08:23 AM
I was out yesterday from 830 am until 4pm........I didnt see a bear until 2pm, when I saw 3. It was about 25'C out. They were eating Skunk Cabage.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Shot a good boar that was with a sow a fews ago. I believe it was 7 am and it was already 28-30deg C. He had no rubs yet bvut his underfur had thinned a little. It was June 6. Put it this way............ I had my shorts on already.

SSS

Gateholio
06-01-2007, 08:34 AM
While evenings have generlaly been the most productive for me, bears don't dissappear the rest of the day- they are somewhere.

If you can find a wooded area (that you can stalk through without being choked to death in thick brush) close to a feeding area with bear sign, you can quietly slip through there, if the wind is in your favour.

I've seen bears at all times of day, but don't make a point of being out at the crack of dawn.

steel_ram
06-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Rarely see them in the early am. Have often seen them out on cut blocks backtracking area's I'd already passed earlier in the morning.

Mid to late morning and then the last couple of hours of daylight. Have managed to spot a few sleeping down in the lower slashes during the heat of the day.

Phil
06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
I haven't seen t many at dawn. Best time has to be late morning to dusk with dusk beeing when they are the bravest.

Elkhound
06-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I have seen lots of bears in the morning, especially during hot weather. Besides if I stick around the house too long in the morning the wife finds some chores that need to be done, and hunting and not seeing bears is still better than that!:twisted:

Same thinking as me.......I agree

MichelD
06-01-2007, 04:24 PM
I've got a couple right at the crack of dawn or soon after.

Will
06-01-2007, 04:45 PM
While evenings have generlaly been the most productive for me, bears don't dissappear the rest of the day- they are somewhere.

If you can find a wooded area (that you can stalk through without being choked to death in thick brush) close to a feeding area with bear sign, you can quietly slip through there, if the wind is in your favour.

I've seen bears at all times of day, but don't make a point of being out at the crack of dawn.
Well I typed out my reply.......but noticed it essentially duped this one :D

I don't bother going out in the Am any more, sure one can see bears anytime of the day but the odds of spotting alot more bears is much better late afternoon 8-)

Mr. Dean
06-01-2007, 05:05 PM
It has been MY EXPERIENCE that bears are alot like teenagers. I can't remember seeing a bear early in the morning (I'm sure someone can prove me wrong) I have noticed that they will come out for a feeding around lunch time until mid afternoon then in for a nap and then at dusk they all come out to feed for the night. Because I am lazy I usually wait until about 10:00 to start hunting, a nap for myself around 3-4:00, and go all day right until dark. I schedule my day so I spend peak feeding times in my favorite spots.

Like he said.

+ if it's been warm for the past couple of days then I see them out all day long as the 1st gray day moves in. they seem to fore-go their afternoon nap and keep feeding.

Not so much at dawn though.

jjensen20
06-01-2007, 05:59 PM
the first bear i ever shot was at 5:15 am, but since then i havent seen one out earlier than 10:00 but i find prime time to be right about 6:00 p.m