PDA

View Full Version : New member as well

AgSilver
03-13-2016, 11:27 PM
Like a few others have posted recently, I'm also a new member. I'm still in the Lower Mainland, though...

Have been lurking, reading, learning...so much that I don't know.

My initial three observations:

1. There are a lot of acronyms and shorthand (numerical references, primarily) that aren't common enough to even find with a quick google search

2. There are a lot of terms that are apparently unique to hunting

3. There are way too many calibres to have any idea what most of them are "on the face of it"

Getting into hunting for a few reasons, but the main one is to spend more time with my dad in an activity that he's very passionate about (he does an annual moose hunt with a bunch of his old firefighter buddies up near Ft. St. James). Secondary and tertiary reasons are to have something that takes me outside more and to acquire excellent food from a trusted environment (i.e. I love to cook and also believe in animal welfare and food industry ethical standards).

It seems like a joke is a good way to get started...

A lady walked into a pharmacy and told the pharmacist that she needed some cyanide. The pharmacist said, 'Why in the world do you need cyanide?' The lady then explained she needed it to poison her husband. The pharmacist's eyes got big and he said, 'Lord, have mercy! I can't give you cyanide to kill your husband! That's against the law! I'll lose my license, they'll throw both of us in jail and all kinds of bad things will happen! Absolutely not, you can NOT have any cyanide!' The lady reached into her purse and pulled out a picture of her husband in bed with the pharmacist's wife. The pharmacist looked at the picture and replied, 'Well, now. You didn't tell me you had a prescription.'