PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater Moose

tomigunz
05-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Im looking for a new Leh huntarea for moose maybe the clearwater area or Quesnel area. Im trying to stay south of prince george. Id like to use my atv which will eliminate some areas. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

HighCountry
05-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Try 5-13 zone a/b good area for moose.

tomigunz
05-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Can u use an atv for moose hunting in 5-13?

30-06
05-31-2007, 07:04 PM
7-11/7-8 or good moose areas.with quad useage.still south of prince george.30-45 minutes out of quesnel

mapguy
05-31-2007, 07:04 PM
3-39 good for moose the odd trophy comes out of there good genetics
saw one when i was up there it was all horns plenty of deer around there also
check regs for the quads

tomigunz
05-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Im leaning towards 3-39, lots of area though any suggestions of a lake or area to start. My dads 68 and he hasnt been there for 25 yrs but id like to take him back to his old bachelor hunting grounds.

Timbow
05-31-2007, 07:20 PM

No ATV's allowed from Sept to Dec. You won't need one. Lots of good moose hunting.

Jelvis
05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
If you want a proven area try Hammer Lake, or try for Raft River, Mad river area. Moose and mule deer. Check regs and go for any bull moose in leh around October 5th on, the rut. do some calling lonely cow call in that area of reg 3 good luck hunter

dana
05-31-2007, 07:35 PM
A large portion of 3-39 is Canfor's Treefarm. There is a ton of road systems both new and old. If you are gonna be on a quad, stay off the active haul roads. There is a lot of wood flow coming out of there, you won't win against a logging truck. Every year we see guys thinking that the main haul roads are great to ride their quads. These roads are radio controled and are extremely dangerous if you are not calling your Kms. There are tons of roads with no active hauling where you can get into moose pretty easily during the rut, the draw odds are tuff though. But, not to many units in the southern half of the province where the odds are good anyways.

3kills
05-31-2007, 07:43 PM
try 3-13 or 3-19 or even 3-18

HighCountry
05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Can u use an atv for moose hunting in 5-13?You can't use ATV in that area but you don't need to you catch
them on the road and cut block.

Orangethunder
05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
With all of the beetle wood coming out of the Quesnel area the forage should be getting pretty good up there. Clearwater can be OK but the locals are crazy!

horshur
05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
With all of the beetle wood coming out of the Quesnel area the forage should be getting pretty good up there. Clearwater can be OK but the locals are crazy!

Spoken by a tru local---were all crazy.

Jelvis
05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Tommy, 3:31 is a good bet too bring your guns, all of that area is moosey and deer and grouse if you want reg 3 From Dog Creek good, theres so much hunting in BC what ya gonna do. Tommygunz

tomigunz
05-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Hammer lake sounds familiar, where is that?

dana
05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
CRAZY? I was Crazy once. They locked me in a Rubber Room. It was dark and cold and there were rats. RATS? I Hate RATS. They make me Crazy! CRAZY? I was Crazy once. They locked me in a Rubber Room. It was dark and cold and there were rats. RATS? I Hate RATS. They make me Crazy! CRAZY?.....

steveo32
05-31-2007, 08:58 PM
dana you watch too much t.v. shouldnt you be out trying ot get your son a 7 footer?????:mrgreen:

finally got to read muley crazy, nicely done with all the photos and story congrats again, lets see if we can do it again next fall

steve

dana
05-31-2007, 09:04 PM
When I was institutionalized, we got to watch quite a bit of TV, but since I've been out, I barely watch any. ;)

Glad you liked the article. This year we'll be going for a Cover shot eh?

steveo32
05-31-2007, 09:07 PM
haha dana i figure we need a group photo with 5 monster on the ground next year to take the cover shot and the centerfold:mrgreen: I am sure ryan will be hearing from our group for atleast a few more years:twisted:

cody must be pumped hopefulyl he can pull some young luck and draw some sweet tags this season, which reminds me i still need to do leh:-?

steve

Jelvis
05-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Tommygunz, I love that handle, Tommy Guns, Hammer Lake is just below the west end of Bonaparte Lake in 3:30. This lake is quite popular and is close to some aspen groves and forested areas liked by road hunters, if you have an atv apparently some good spots to tour around. Come in east from 70 mile or down from Bridge Lake. The Bonaparte river road is good on the way in too. Fairly heavy hunted but still quite popular with the local yokels from kammy etc. In 2006 one guy got a 2 point bull just a stones throw from Hammer on the way into the little old hunt camps. Good luck Tommy Jelvis

Caveman
05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
CRAZY? I was Crazy once. They locked me in a Rubber Room. It was dark and cold and there were rats. RATS? I Hate RATS. They make me Crazy! CRAZY? I was Crazy once. They locked me in a Rubber Room. It was dark and cold and there were rats. RATS? I Hate RATS. They make me Crazy! CRAZY?.....

Things are looking up Steve........Now your just nuts!!:lol::lol:

horshur
05-31-2007, 10:55 PM

You stay on your Meds now--Don't want you preaching in the Nude downtown again on the subject of the fourth heaven:wink:

Wildman
06-01-2007, 08:38 AM

No you cant......and dont go in November......

Elkhound
06-01-2007, 10:49 AM
You stay on your Meds now--Don't want you preaching in the Nude downtown again on the subject of the fourth heaven:wink:

LMAO...too funny

Jelvis
06-01-2007, 12:24 PM
You know when looking up info on this area I discovered a few things that might help you and me in my search for mulies and moose near Clearwater. 3:37 ADAMS lAKE. Go in from Vavenby. Hunt along Adams river fair moose. Any where from Clearwater to Blue River

Fisher-Dude
06-01-2007, 01:02 PM

http://www.mrsmcgowan.com/frosty2002/anthony_mouse.jpg

Jelvis
06-01-2007, 01:55 PM
TOMMY, I found the place for me to hunt while I was trying to figure a better place for you big fella. Bring your guns to 3:42 upper Adams and also while lookin I found what looks like deer heaven on the east side of the north end of Adams Lake in the north part of 3:37 and I want to go for sure. Tsikwustum creek area deadly hedley. I can hunt both areas in from Vavenby BC. I can go all the way from Adams Lake to Tum Tum Lake driving up there lookin around eaten my bag of Spitz at the same time, anyways might see ya up in those thar reaches for some monsters. Jelly

mapguy
06-01-2007, 03:36 PM
3:37 supposed to be 16 caribou there also
anyone know about this

Jelvis
06-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure about caribou but there is an elk herd and moose along the upper adams as well as good high country mulies and there big. You know that 3:41 should not be left out of course, probably the secret spot of a lot of locals, one of those places not mentioned too often, but then who could blame the fellas, not wanting to tell about it, after all they think there the only ones that found the spot, but It is known far and wide by lots of hunters over the years as one of the best hunting spots since the hunters came to ( Foghorn creek and mtn.)( Mule deer city.) The Nor river corridor. 3:41 Tommy don't pass it up take a gander, whats to lose. Reg Christie creek is a good all around hunting spot and the spot I would choose for moose in 3:41 >>>> Otter Creek, get out your BC Recreation Atlas and check along the south side of the Nor River. One more and the last one before I gotta go approx. 10 K passed Avola on the east side just over bridge turn right good moose up the road, so try for one of these Leh, theres lots of area too big for just a few lucky hunters to harvest the game. Good hunting, Tommygunz. Moose Rut approx. Sept 15th to October 20th, mulies rut approx Oct 23rd to Dec 23rd Snow in the area usually ( stays) on the ground around long week end in Nov. down lower, but, ( who knows where the cold wind blows I asked my friends and nobody knows), thats a line from Whitesnake, see ya buddy, Jelly

dana
06-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Jelvis,
Where do you think this guy lives?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/May29001a.jpg
As for Caribou, yes there is a herd in the Adams. There is a herd in the North Thompson too. Not many, and they are certainly struggling right now.

30-06
06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Jelvis,
Where do you think this guy lives?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/May29001a.jpg
As for Caribou, yes there is a herd in the Adams. There is a herd in the North Thompson too. Not many, and they are certainly struggling right now.

pretty stupid question here but im confused..were talking about caribou.yet isnt this a pisture of an elk..correct me if im wrong here?

dana
06-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure about caribou but there is an elk herd and moose along the upper adams as well as good high country mulies and there big. ya buddy, Jelly

Yup it's an elk, Jelly Roll was the one that brought it up didn't he? :mrgreen:

30-06
06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Yup it's an elk, Jelly Roll was the one that brought it up didn't he? :mrgreen:

haha ok know i see.i didnt read that post.must of missed it...i didnt think there were caribou down this far

dana
06-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Here's a North Thompson caribou shed I found a few years back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Caribou2.jpg

30-06
06-01-2007, 09:23 PM
thats beauty.hopefully the herd grow's to a decent size where there is limited entrys or even a GOS..i thought caribou there only in region's like up past quesnel and that.that would be sweet if caribou came to around princeton.but very doubleful

dana
06-01-2007, 09:26 PM
As I said before, the southern caribou herds are struggling. Actually on the verge of extinction. There used to be vast herds, now only a remnant.

30-06
06-01-2007, 09:28 PM
i think they should transplant them around here and other parts of region 8 and 3 where it is like natural habitat's with the high mountians,lots of snow.

Jelvis
06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Stevie, that elk was somewhere near the Adams of course thats where some elk are unless it roamed away, but only quessing could have been TumTum which is where I'm trying to get if my buddies would pay for the gas, use their truck, and have some descent tunes on for me, oh ya supply the Spitz and the Powerade, thats not askin too much, by the way nice clear photos again. How come Caribou meat is supposed to be not too good to eat, I guess they eat lots of moss and lichens. How about some scenery pictures of the Mt Mclennan and TumTum areas, I know you must have hundreds, Thanx in advance bud.

30-06
06-01-2007, 09:49 PM
ohh this thread is making me wanna hunt

dana
06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Jelly Donut,
You do realize, the Tum Tum can be a grueling hunt.:mrgreen: :wink:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_2386.jpg

dana
06-01-2007, 10:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/0274413-R1-033-15.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/0274413-R1-053-25a.jpg

Jelvis
06-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Thats more like it, that looks like you could end up doin lots of hiking and how would you see the forest for the trees when you start walkin in, but it looks like you were just spotting for fun there that day. Thats big country but it looks great. I know theres animals in those hills. Is that lake mineral rich like Johnson Lake with limestone it looks greeny blue. Nice pic, how do you stay in hunting shape, in the off season or do you have an off season probably not. Wheres that picture of you and your buddies with about 5 muleys on the side of a road in the snow that you had last year.

dana
06-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Jelvis,
There is no offseason. No need to get into shape when you never get out of shape.
Here's some more pics for ya.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Adams.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Adams2.jpg

Here's one from Gelena Creek lookin down on my house.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/0510575-R1-007-2a.jpg

Jelvis
06-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Steve, that looks like glacial water for sure, what a wonderful spot. Your living in a beautiful area. Keep on keepin on, thanx for the look see.

300 wsm
06-01-2007, 11:52 PM
try 3-29A or 4-20 lotsa good bulls around if your willin to get off tha machine and work

300 wsm
06-01-2007, 11:56 PM
we had a moose draw in 3-46? last year wells grey no quad access but with 2 guys and a crap load of determination we tok a fine tripalm with a 52 inch spread

Phreddy
06-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi Horsur.
Used to hunt Clearwater with a guy by the name of Frank Novak. Worked in Corrections on the coast with him before he transferred to Clearwater. Last hunted there with another ex-Clearwatertonian by the name of Gavin Huey. We used to stay with Frank & Pam when they had the house in town, then when they bought Moose Camp out at Riox Lake.
The land around Moira Lk. was pretty well stripped of trees, and that beautiful little mineral pond at the bottom of Miner Hill was dried up after they clearcut the area around it. The only moose we saw on our last trip, about 1997/98 was a skinny, sick looking cow that didnt' look like it was going to make it through the winter. So disgusted with what they'd done to the area we never went back. Have some good memories of the area though. Hopefully it'll come back one day while I'm still young enough to hunt it.

BCrams
06-16-2007, 10:31 PM

You burnt the wall tent down.

butcher
06-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Frank Novak hasn't been around Clearwater for a while. I think you'd find the area a bit different now.

Phreddy
06-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I know, he and Pam moved over to the island. They've come for a visit a couple times and I almost had them convinced to move to Princeton, but I guess the salt water has got in his blood and ruined him.:wink:
I probably wouldn't recognize the area today. Took moose out of the meadow/swamp around 23 k on Road 2 and behind Grizzley Mtn. in the past, but imagine they've all moved, and I wouldn't have a clue where to find them now.
Did ok locally, so will probably just stick around here.

Jelvis
06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Phreddy where was the place called the hole in the wall, not the restaurant the actual place if you know what road and what k, if you don't mind askin?

Phreddy
06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure where that would be. Was it in the "management area on Road 2, or further north?
Anyone?

dana
06-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Once again Jelly Roll is confused. The Hole in the Wall is right above the Hole in the Wall Cafe and no where near Rd 2 'the Management' or in other words Canfor's Treefarm.

Jelvis
06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanx for clearing that up, hows rhe breakfast menu in that Hole in the wall Cafe? Is it open real early in moose huntin season? The Hole in Z Wall was famous back in the late sixties, early seventies for big game animals. Thanks fellas once again.

SUAFOYT
06-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanx for clearing that up, hows rhe breakfast menu in that Hole in the wall Cafe? Is it open real early in moose huntin season? The Hole in Z Wall was famous back in the late sixties, early seventies for big game animals. Thanks fellas once again.

It's owned by a local couple now. Somewhat of a tough go for them I'm sure. Food's not all that bad when I've stopped in. No idea how late in the season they stay open.

MattB
06-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Im pretty sure its only open until the end of september. They usually have it closed during the winter. Over summer they just have all german food, but it is pretty good!

dana
06-17-2007, 05:33 PM
They mainly operate from May till Sept. The food is actually really good. I haven't seen it open yet this year though.

Phreddy
06-17-2007, 07:50 PM
So tell me Dana....has the management started putting out moose in any numbers again? I really enjoyed hunting the area. I might be able to talk my old partner Gavin or my sons into coming up that way for another hunt one day.
I have fond memories of the old guy operating the grader on Rd. 2
He had an affinity for the heart out of moose, and I always made sure that I saved it for him. He once told me that if I ever got snowed in, to give him a call and he'd come & plow me out. Hell of a swell guy.
I can't remember the name of the CO you had up there around 1988, but he was a young kid, obviously just out of training, with a real attitude. Frank mentioned that he thought the loggers finally drove him crazy by sending him on wild goose chases all over the area, and he transferred out. The guy was a real dickhead. Our CO here is one of the best I've run into. He's active in the club, not power hungry, and no attitude.

SUAFOYT
06-17-2007, 09:03 PM
So tell me Dana....has the management started putting out moose in any numbers again? I really enjoyed hunting the area. I might be able to talk my old partner Gavin or my sons into coming up that way for another hunt one day.
I have fond memories of the old guy operating the grader on Rd. 2
He had an affinity for the heart out of moose, and I always made sure that I saved it for him. He once told me that if I ever got snowed in, to give him a call and he'd come & plow me out. Hell of a swell guy.
I can't remember the name of the CO you had up there around 1988, but he was a young kid, obviously just out of training, with a real attitude. Frank mentioned that he thought the loggers finally drove him crazy by sending him on wild goose chases all over the area, and he transferred out. The guy was a real dickhead. Our CO here is one of the best I've run into. He's active in the club, not power hungry, and no attitude.

I won't pretend to speak for the Dana, but here's my take. The moose are definitely making a good comeback in the TFL. If you know where to look, moose viewing can be quite easy. Road 2 has a new graderman now. Does his best, but the brain trust at Canfor is all about maximizing the share price so the roads suffer. Poor Pattison has to eat you know, and he has to have a way to pay for those 2010 event tickets that no one else will be able to afford. We have 2 COs here now. I have no problem with either of them, but some of the locals have a hard on for one of them as he's a strict by the book guy. Would write up his own mother. He covers more ground than the other guy as he has cougar hounds so sometimes gets a call for problem cats all the way to Tete Jaune and beyond. With the beetle kill you probably wouldn't recognise the area anymore. If we get some hot weather this year it could be real interesting with all that fuel.

dana
06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I think the moose pops in the TFL are doing pretty damn good. The LEH odds suck though, so I won't be hunting there for big bulls anytime soon. The odd Immy is killed up there and I do pack my rifle during Immy season when I'm working up there, but I don't hold my breath.

Jelvis
06-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi Hunters, in the area from Kamloops to Clearwater. One easy question for ya, only if you will. Whats the best place to hunt for spike fork bull winkles from Little Fort to Avola, in your humble experienced opinion? If you can say with candor great, let's hear it. If you can't say on here, no problem, I understand the peer pressure. No pms please, just about full thanx. To make it easier if you can't say outright and not to advertise the spot I was told of, by a good source from Clearwater, I'll give a riddle. A riddle for you to say, a simple yea or nay to if it's close, to the best spot, here goes. ( A little river rat named blotter, close to an m.u. border, closer to the little village of Avola then Mr Christies water,) this should ease the peer pressure, yea or nay, if you should say. Please refrain, if possible from saying things like, there is no moose in the area, its been shot out, the elk are taking over, there never was moose in the area, things like that, just a simple yea or nay if thats the spot, thanx to you hunters up there you are the best. The Riddler, but please, no Jokers. Jelly Bean

Caveman
06-21-2007, 02:56 PM
PM Dana, I'm sure he despises those "Dinks". He might drive you right to him. LMAO!!!

dana
06-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Jelvis,
It don't really matter where you hunt immys in Region 3, it's a crapshoot regardless. There ain't a single drainage where they grow a lot of them. Your odds are slim regardless of where you hunt them. I betcha more are killed in less moosie looking areas than in the moosie spots. Why? Cause the big bulls chase them out and they are left to fend for themselves in not-so-great habitat. The best way to kill an immy is to scout hard for them in the summer, find one, sit on him until opening morning and then kill him. They switched Region 3 over to the Immy season sometime in the early 90's. I've killed 2 in the time since. Not good odds.

Fisher-Dude
06-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Exactly what Dana said. Hard to find....I've seen a few, but they bolt before I can confirm the point count. And confirmation is HARD. It's easy to look FOR something, like 4 on a mulie...but to make sure something ISN'T there is much more difficult.

I've killed one 2 point, and it was a 3.5 year old 2x5 bull that had a deformed antler. I've seen a few other legal ones, two 2x3's that I couldn't get a shot at, and another larger bull with a busted off spike on one side and big paddle on the other that melted into the willows. Another I watched for 35 minutes at 60 yards and couldn't decide if he was a 3x4 or 2x4...was that third point 3/4 inch or 1 inch long? So he walked.

Jelvis
06-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Good point about the big bulls chasing the little one away, and drainage sounds good too, like you say the odds are low. Reminds me of The Gambler, You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run, you never count your immys when your hunting in the jimmy, there"ll be time enough for countin, when the seasons done. Kenny (the hunter) Rodgers Thanks Stevie.

Hank Hunter
06-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Wow ???????????????

Fisher-Dude
06-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Jelly Rogers...sing it! LOL!

dana
06-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Jelly Roll,
Here's the Immy I killed in 05. He was in a swamp just east of the drainage you were hinting at. Can you guess what drainage?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_2745.jpg

Jelvis
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
I think I know it is pretty fair moose according to my little comprehensive Hunting - Guide to B.C. pocket book, says pretty fair moose, that little fella looked like he was eating an awful lot, his belly was full.

Caveman
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Seriously, Jelly Roll, I find that right up to the rut your best chances will be to stick with the cows. The young bulls hang out with them either looking for some action or they are still last years calfs. Until the big boys chase them off, that's where you'll find them. I have killed quite a few of them, and that has been my experience, take it for what you will.

Jelvis
06-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Caveman: I can hear the twang of confidence in your reply, it sounds true what your saying, experience shining thru, find the cows and I could find a spiker, makes perfect sense. I will try that from Surrey/Sussex to Avola if there open this year. good stuff, Jelvis

bighornbob
06-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Jelvis

I wont say the area is shot out or it was good in the 80's or it is taken over by elk. I will say that as per usual when I read anything you post I have no idea what you are talking about or trying to get across to the other members.

BHB

tooty
06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
What works for me is to locate the larger bulls by calling,scouting what have you.Half the time there is a little bugger tagging along behind,but you have to wait because they are getting a little tired of getting their butts kicked.Sometimes a 2x2,sometimes more points,but more often than not there will be a smaller bull tagging along,scared but curious.

Jelvis
06-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey bighornbob, I hear ya, when I talk with certain hunters in the Region 3 here, they are exciting to talk to and I try not to get too serious cause it's only hunting, but I like it, especially with some hunters who, are really advanced in knowledge about game and hunting, they do know there stuff, and I kind a look up to them. Thats all. Some times a direct question isn't prudent and gets no response, I like to discuss hunting and it's diverse strategy with the hunters. Especially moose and mulies. tooty, that sounds like it would work, locate bulls by calling and scouting, be patient, cause, a smaller bull could arrive on the scene. Good luck this season in 07.

Caveman
06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
More often you can run into a group of younger bulls, like a two point and four by fives but seldom a mature bull and immature. I've seen multiple immatures together numerous times, not all legal but usually one among them will be a two point. Again this has been in the area that I'm expecting to find a cow or two with these guys hanging close by. Opening day until mid rut, after that it's a crap shoot where you'll find them because now the big boys have chased the competition off.

tooty
06-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Sometimes it takes awhile,because like your saying about the younger bulls being together,but I think you will find that's true in the early season(late summer early fall) but when the rut is on things change up abit and those immature bulls will follow around,back aways,sometimes a 1/2 km or farther.Trying to get the leftovers or seeing how it's done.You know,keep your enemies close,your friends closer.

Jelvis
06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Moose rut should start around third week of September and bios say that a couple weeks before estrus the bulls start getting worked up getting rough and tuff and vocal. so time to figure out where a hunters going to go exactly opening day. Some water source, WILLOWS, meadow, ponds, and that yellow marshy grass, and spruce trees. Look for rut holes. Practice calling, oo Wah, oo Wah. Early morning and dusk. Most used call is the cow call, Waaaaaa ah, ten minute intervals or what ever works for ya, give yourself and the moose enough cover to respond, good luck