PDA

View Full Version : how to help creating ama's

goinghunting
03-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of when these vehicle restricted areas are going to start happening In BC?

OutWest
03-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Talk to the bio in your area. The more people we have contacting them about these the better. Definitely a few places that could use them!

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
03-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Lots of them around our area--Elk Valley

Daybreak
03-13-2016, 06:34 PM
I know of one that isn't adhered to or enforced with any frequency. Signs don't mean much to many people it seems.

Drillbit
03-13-2016, 08:31 PM
AMA. You mean the protected for the Guide areas.?

Might as well just make them a Park.

Cordillera
03-13-2016, 09:06 PM
They are pretty much put in place in response to a local conservation concern. Usually they were done well after the roads were built and someone realized that a species that is sensitive to over harvest (think griz or goats) was getting hammered so they put in a vehicle restriction. Now they often avoid putting permanent roads into these more sensitive places and the roads are taken out shortly after logging so the access is reduced to non motorized means. That's more effective and you don't have to enforce.

goinghunting
03-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Im aware of road closures but was under the impression there was going to be a new type called an ama introduced. Which incompuses a larger area?

I sure hope something happens, the use of off road vehicles has got out of hand.

Drillbit
03-13-2016, 10:17 PM
The only AMA I know of is the Pend d'Oreille.

That road's been there forever. Used to be a nice drive from Nelway to 7-mile. Since the SuperB flopped off the road, it has gotten pretty rough.

I'm not a fan of the AMA's as the give the guide a major advantage.