PDA

View Full Version : Life Preserver / Jacket / Vest

BimmerBob
03-12-2016, 10:17 AM
Looking for advice on where and what to purchase in way of a life preserver as all the ones I have available are not quite big enough. I am 6'4" and 290 lbs and am looking for a life jacket for fishing on an ocean boat. I usually use xxl or xxxl jackets and was thinking that one of the inflatable type vests may be the ticket, my friend suggested a floater type coat to add some insulation during inclement weather.

So... school me on my choices and a decent place in the lower mainland (Delta/Surrey/Langley) area you would suggest I purchase.

Thanks in advance, Bob

.264winmag
03-12-2016, 10:37 AM
If there is a west marine nearby they will have what you want. The inflatable type are nice as you can wear all day and not even notice they're on. The survival jackets are great for nasty weather but when the sun comes out they always turn into a seat cushion. I'd say the cheaper vest style inflatable will be safer as it will always be worn, can always throw a good rain jacket over top. Mustang is the brand I'd recommend.

.264winmag
03-12-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure the vest style self inflating is recognized as a PFD, for commercial use they only consider the approved keyhole style as qualified these days not even the survival suit style is good enough ffs. For recreation not sure the rules these anymore.

BimmerBob
03-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Only West Marine I can see is in Vancouver so may not be a convenient spot to get to but nice to know.

I was looking at one of these: PFD- Fisherman -- Stohlquist - Lifejacket L/XL, as I noticed that the inflatables did not seem to be recognized in Canada but may have to stop by a store to check out what might work best.

Ozone
03-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Inflatables rules are a bit odd. They are a recognized PFD if worn, if they aren't on you, then there not. Were as a normal life jacket/vest can just be in the boat to be legal. At work we ware these ones all day everyday and find them quite comfortable http://www.mustangsurvival.com/professional/md3157?country=23

Keta1969
03-12-2016, 11:31 AM
The feeling now is that the life jacket,vest or inflatable that you put on and keep on is the one to get, approved or not. I also wear a mustang inflatable.

BimmerBob
03-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Great info Ozone and Keta1969, much appreciated. I will stop by Acklands to see if they have any in...

Wile E
03-12-2016, 04:05 PM
Have you looked at Steveston Marine? They're the one stop shop, a boat mans candy store.
Locations in Van, Langley, and Steveston. I've been to all 3 many a time. Great service, selection, and they're knowledgable.

BimmerBob
03-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the lead Wile E., I have just returned from Steveston Marine in Langley with my wallet considerably lightened, omg those pfd's are pricey.

Knute
03-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the lead Wile E., I have just returned from Steveston Marine in Langley with my wallet considerably lightened, omg those pfd's are pricey.

Hope you didn't have to ask to use the washroom.
That woman in there refused to let me use it, I had $100 worth of goods on the counter and was looking for more when I asked.
When she said no I walked out, never to darken their door again.

Steeleco
03-12-2016, 09:44 PM

If I had your money I'd burn mine LOL I've still got my PFD from nearly 20 years ago. Good investment if you look after it.

BimmerBob
03-12-2016, 11:11 PM
If I had your money I'd burn mine LOL I've still got my PFD from nearly 20 years ago. Good investment if you look after it.

LOL, too funny David, I just know you would not burn good cold hard cash as that Ford of yours needs it for gas! ;)