PDA

View Full Version : Best binos for $1000???

HarryToolips
03-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks to workin lots of ot, I got the ok from the boss (wife) that it's ok for me to get some new binos for around 1000 bucks.. I currently have decent Vortex Vipers, but they fog up pretty bad when I'm lookin through em in cold weather, and I've sent em in a couple times already and I'm getting sick of it.. So, what's the best quality set of binos for $1000???

bc_buckshot
03-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Leupold mojave less than $1000 and will have cash left over for something else. Oh and there pretty clear bino imo

Shooter
03-09-2016, 06:33 PM
My Vipers fogged up too many times as well. I stepped up to swarovski but I bought used for just slightly over $1000. It was a great move.

Daybreak
03-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Congratulation's HT. Such a great step forward in buying new glass and something I need to do. I will be interested in what you decide on. The Vipers, are they fogging externally or internally?

Probably a silly question I posed however I had a pair of Nikons fog up internally and they were toast. No taking them out a second time.

REMINGTON JIM
03-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Vortex FOGGING up ? WTH ! :sad: RJ

Downtown
03-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Thanks to workin lots of ot, I got the ok from the boss (wife) that it's ok for me to get some new binos for around 1000 bucks.. I currently have decent Vortex Vipers, but they fog up pretty bad when I'm lookin through em in cold weather, and I've sent em in a couple times already and I'm getting sick of it.. So, what's the best quality set of binos for $1000???

30 Years ago I would have told you buy "Zeiss" and never loock back, unfortunately times hav changed dramaticaly.

Couple of days ago I looked at a bunch of so called good but shurly expensive Binoculars. The tried and tru magnification would be 10*42, well was I ever disapointed. Practically every Binocular I locked at would fall into the category "Night Binocular" as the input Lenses where all over 2.5 mm and right up to 6 mm. which as you might know would dammage your Eye if used say during bright Sunny daylight loocking for whatever on a snowed over location.

To make a long story short educate yourself how to diferentiate between a good set, a medium good set and Junk. The chance that you will find a knowlegable Sales Person is allomost nill. You have to do your own legwork.Armed with knowledge go into the Shops of your Choices and test em out, see what fits your personal taste. Remember good Binoculars can easily last a Lifetime some of the old Zeiss Glasses manufactured in the 60 or 70ties can last even longer.

Cheers

Weatherby Fan
03-09-2016, 07:08 PM
I would look at Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss Conquest HD 8 or 10x42, very good binocular for the money in my opinion, you would have to buy used or a demo model to keep them around a $1000 though.

If your looking at Leupold check out BX3 Mojave or the BX3 Mojave Pro Guide HD

I have a set of the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 and an older set of Leica Trinovid 10x42 and both are excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

Most optics nowadays are amazingly bright, where you will see a noticeable difference between them is at dawn and dusk and extended time glassing with no eyestrain, just the other day my brother and I compared the top end Vortex Razor 10x42 to the Leica 10x42 and I thought I was going to fall over from the eyestrain from the Vortex but not so from the Leica.....there was no comparison.

Bugle M In
03-09-2016, 07:09 PM
I'm happy with my Zeiss Conquest's, but they were purchased in the States at the time.
Another option, was what my hunting buddy did...he purchased a "used" Swaroski Bino from Relaible Guns.
He got a great price by getting them used, and they are a great Bino.
If that isn't possible, another friend has Nikon for Bino's, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference when
I look thru them.....

RiverOtter
03-09-2016, 07:40 PM
If it's exterior fogging, I've seen that on top 3 glass too.

scoutlt1
03-09-2016, 07:44 PM
$1000 binos????..... you f**kers must work for KPMG,....or the the Feds or something.... ;)

Just kidding!!!! It's a joke!!!! :)

Boner
03-09-2016, 07:58 PM
I'm not happy with my Leupold BX-3's.

Weatherby Fan
03-09-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm not happy with my Leupold BX-3's.

theres a good honest opinion, tell us more, eyestrain ? clarity ? dawn or dusk visibility ? side by side comparisons ?

Ovis17
03-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Used Swarovski 10x42 EL's can be had for around 13-1400.

Weatherby Fan
03-09-2016, 08:07 PM
$1000 binos????..... you f**kers must work for KPMG,....or the the Feds or something.... ;)

Just kidding!!!! It's a joke!!!! :)

Government work.......I run boats for the Prime Minister ;-)

scoutlt1
03-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Government work.......I run boats for the Prime Minister ;-)

I figured as much dammit!! :)

Boner
03-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Clarity, and a 15% grey ring around the outer edges when looking at a greened up cut block.

Boner
03-09-2016, 08:21 PM
theres a good honest opinion, tell us more, eyestrain ? clarity ? dawn or dusk visibility ? side by side comparisons ?
Clarity could be better, and a 15% grey ring around the outer edges when looking at a green cut block. I really noticed I was having issues with them while grizzly hunting.

Whonnock Boy
03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Take a look at these. Sure they are used and not HD but, I think not a bad deal.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?125970-swarovski-10-by-42-slc-for-sale&highlight=swarovski

300rum700
03-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Zeiss conquest HD or leica trinovids.

Weatherby Fan
03-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Clarity could be better, and a 15% grey ring around the outer edges when looking at a green cut block. I really noticed I was having issues with them while grizzly hunting.

Good to know thank you for that.

Boner
03-09-2016, 08:36 PM
In fairness it might be just me and how I use them. My dad thought they were just fine.

todbartell
03-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Vortex Viper HD 10x42's - tell Vortex to send you a new pair. I used a pair for 2 years and have sold them to a hardcore hunter and he's used them for 2 years too, with zero complaints. Last 2 years I've been running the Vortex Razor HD 10x42's...so far no issues and I'd compare them to a Swarovision optically at half the price

YMMV

.264winmag
03-09-2016, 08:39 PM
To my eyes in the $1k range the Zeiss conquest HD is the best bang for buck by far. You'll have to spend over twice that to get any substantial gain.

Moose63
03-09-2016, 09:11 PM
I've looked thru the high end glass and looked thru mid ranged priced binos and I can't justify spending the extra money, and I didn't. Yes, you could tell the difference, but does that mean you can't spot the detail you need. It's more about training your eye on what to look for. The quality has also improved a lot among all mfgers. Think back to what your Dad used to use, they seemed to get their share back then too.

Unless you've got money to burn, save your money, split the difference and buy your wife gift, and don't get sucked into the marketing hype.

todbartell
03-09-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm with you Moose63. I love great gear, it makes hunting more enjoyable for me. And I've used low to mid end stuff for the first 10 years I hunted. Killed lots of animals with 1960's 7x35 binos hanging around my neck by some paracord. The $250 Nikon Monarch 10x42's I upgraded to was a huge step. 7 years later they were toast. Upgraded to $700 Vortex Viper HD 10x42, no complaints. Once you hit a certain level of quality, more $$ doesn't always mean better stuff. Will I spend 2x to replace my Razors? Not a chance...for that $1500 upgrade, which my eyes can't justify, I can buy hunting licenses and tags for ten years of adventure

Drillbit
03-09-2016, 09:52 PM
I have Leupold Gold Ring HD's. They were 700us about 10 years ago, not sure what they cost now tho.

They're great. Only compliant I have, is when I lock them (to fit my eye spacing) they still wiggle a bit.

Ferenc
03-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Put your eyes behind a pair of Zeiss classics.

Weatherby Fan
03-09-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm with you Moose63. I love great gear, it makes hunting more enjoyable for me. And I've used low to mid end stuff for the first 10 years I hunted. Killed lots of animals with 1960's 7x35 binos hanging around my neck by some paracord. The $250 Nikon Monarch 10x42's I upgraded to was a huge step. 7 years later they were toast. Upgraded to $700 Vortex Viper HD 10x42, no complaints. Once you hit a certain level of quality, more $$ doesn't always mean better stuff. Will I spend 2x to replace my Razors? Not a chance...for that $1500 upgrade, which my eyes can't justify, I can buy hunting licenses and tags for ten years of adventure

Well thats at the point right there bartell, your on your fourth pair of binoculars and probably have spent $2000-$2500 and could have bought a decent set in the first place and still be using them.

About 25 years ago I paid a $900+tax for a pair of Leicas when they come out with the new Trinovid model, they also had a $150.00 off if you brought in any old pair of binoculars in any condition to receive the cash back !
I'm still using them today.

Drillbit
03-09-2016, 10:16 PM
There's some Swaro's on the Buy&Sell here for 1150 right now........

Merch
If possible have a look at the Kowa bd's. Bought a set in 8x42. Great glass. Felt better in my hands than comparable vortex.

HarryToolips
Thanks for all the input folks, I will research...

HarryToolips
03-09-2016, 10:19 PM
I have that exact pair of Vortex, my complaint is the fogging up...

HarryToolips
03-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Congratulation's HT. Such a great step forward in buying new glass and something I need to do. I will be interested in what you decide on. The Vipers, are they fogging externally or internally?

Probably a silly question I posed however I had a pair of Nikons fog up internally and they were toast. No taking them out a second time.
Fogging externally, as I can wipe em clean, but then I breath just a bit on em and they're fogging up again..

tangozulu
03-09-2016, 10:29 PM
I have zeiss conquest compacs 8x30. Love them ans see they are availabe new on eBay and they are no longer made.
I think the new zeizz Tierra are about 600 and they seem to have great glass though of Chineese manufacturing. Might we worth a look

todbartell
03-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Well thats at the point right there bartell, your on your fourth pair of binoculars and probably have spent $2000-$2500 and could have bought a decent set in the first place and still be using them.

I've upgraded glass as budget allows. No way I could swing $2500 Swaroskis when I was 15 years old, hence the 7x35 relics I shared with my dad. I would still happily use the Vipers this day, except I was able to buy new Razors for the price I sold my used Vipers for, so why not? Can't be more happy with my binos

I have that exact pair of Vortex, my complaint is the fogging up...

External fogging happens with any brand if you blow hot steam breath on cold glass. Maybe try some anti fog spray that you can get for hockey visors. Vortex also sells an anti fog kit

REMINGTON JIM
03-09-2016, 10:34 PM
I use MINOX 10 x 42 and FIND then Pretty friggin Good for the $$ Look into them too ! :smile: jmo RJ

Ferenc
03-09-2016, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=

About 25 years ago I paid a $900+tax for a pair of Leicas when they come out with the new Trinovid model, they also had a $150.00 off if you brought in any old pair of binoculars in any condition to receive the cash back !
I'm still using them today.[/QUOTE]

Great old glass ever dies,it just gets better.

todbartell
03-09-2016, 10:41 PM
25 year old Leica's probably compare quite well to today's $600 bins. $300 buys you a better pair than 80% of BC hunters use

HarryToolips
03-09-2016, 11:03 PM
I've upgraded glass as budget allows. No way I could swing $2500 Swaroskis when I was 15 years old, hence the 7x35 relics I shared with my dad. I would still happily use the Vipers this day, except I was able to buy new Razors for the price I sold my used Vipers for, so why not? Can't be more happy with my binos

External fogging happens with any brand if you blow hot steam breath on cold glass. Maybe try some anti fog spray that you can get for hockey visors. Vortex also sells an anti fog kit
Ok good to know thanks..

ACB
03-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Fogging externally, as I can wipe em clean, but then I breath just a bit on em and they're fogging up again..
Have you ever heard of a anti FOG cleaner! It works! As long as their only fogging up externally there isn't a problem. If their fogging up internally talk to your manufacture what ever it is. What you have to remember is what is on the outside of your bino's, is GLASS. When you have something that is glass that is close to something that is warm and wet (sweat) your going to get condensation. It doesn't matter how much you spend on your bino's if they'v been close to your body thats been sweating and it's cool outside their going to fog up! If you are a young hunter buy the most expensive bino's you can afford. At least 40 power objective lens, lots of light gathering. None of the compacts, the weight of the larger bino's are worth their wait in gold at the end of the day.

Weatherby Fan
03-10-2016, 12:23 AM
25 year old Leica's probably compare quite well to today's $600 bins. $300 buys you a better pair than 80% of BC hunters use

Your probably right with today's coating on the lenses, they may be a bit sharper looking out the store window but again I have compared them many times to the new and improved $600 wonder binoculars and I can tell you I never get eyestrain and first and last light they still blow that junk away, I use them daily for work all year long and not many binoculars compare even for being that old.

Buy right buy once !

Singleshotneeded
03-10-2016, 01:26 AM
I picked up the Meopta HD binos from Ebay for $800...they're the same as the Euro HD on Cabelas.com for $1000. Very close to Leica and Swaro, not quite as awesome but very close, for a third the price. They`re from the Czech republic, next door to Austria, and the tech is almost identical.

Weatherby Fan
03-10-2016, 01:41 AM
I picked up the Meopta HD binos from Ebay for $800...they're the same as the Euro HD on Cabelas.com for $1000. Very close to Leica and Swaro, not quite as awesome but very close, for a third the price. They`re from the Czech republic, next door to Austria, and the tech is almost identical.

Those are excellent binoculars and is another very good option for the OP

ACE
03-10-2016, 05:48 AM
Bausch & Lomb 'Discoverer' .... 10 x 28 compacts. Still in use after 20+ years.
Leupold 'Pinnicle' ..... 10 x 42. Inherited from my son. Used last year, like them.

RiverOtter
03-10-2016, 07:14 AM
I use MINOX 10 x 42 and FIND then Pretty friggin Good for the $$ Look into them too ! :smile: jmo RJ
I opted the Minox 8.5x52 HG's from Cameraland about 8 years ago, super glass. Source their glass from Schott(?), same as Zeiss, but they are/were built in E Germany, so cheaper labour.

Mine were shipped to SHOT as potential demo's, but the box was never opened, so CL blew them out for $600, asthey could no longer be sold as new. Great deals to be found with patience......

Weatherby Fan
03-10-2016, 07:21 AM
I opted the Minox 8.5x52 HG's from Cameraland about 8 years ago, super glass. Source their glass from Schott(?), same as Zeiss, but they are/were built in E Germany, so cheaper labour.

Mine were shipped to SHOT as potential demo's, but the box was never opened, so CL blew them out for $600, asthey could no longer be sold as new. Great deals to be found with patience......

A few years back when the HG model was introduced I picked up two pair of these, a 10x52 for my nephew and a 10x43 for a good friend at work, $400 a piece, they are about 1600.00 a pair now, these are also an excellent binocular.

The owner of this company was a former long term Leica employee so knows a thing or two about good optics !

Apolonius
03-10-2016, 07:26 AM
Steiner 12x42 C5 Predator.As good as it gets for less than 1000$.Have them since they came out.
Rain,snow,cold everything,no problem.

SR80
03-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Im really happy with my zeiss conquest HD 10-42. Pop them on a tripod, and I can see everything and anything!

Stormy
03-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Vortex Viper HD 10x42's - tell Vortex to send you a new pair. I used a pair for 2 years and have sold them to a hardcore hunter and he's used them for 2 years too, with zero complaints. Last 2 years I've been running the Vortex Razor HD 10x42's...so far no issues and I'd compare them to a Swarovision optically at half the price

YMMV

My Razor HD's have been in everything -25 to +40, never had a moments problem with them, next to Swarovski's, even the most hardcore Swaro fan can't tell the difference!

The sons use Tallons, same thing - never a moments problems - if glass fogs up (internally) send them back and get a new pair, if they fog up externally blame no one but yourself - binos to eyes on cold mornings, breath out, hot breath rises and hits cold glass - you got fog!

try Scope dope - http://www.amazon.com/Scope-Dope-Lens-Cleaner-Anti-Fog/dp/B002L9GG56

zippermouth
03-10-2016, 08:30 AM
heres my take on the swaro vs razor debate. swaro is tried and true to be one of the best binos/optics on the market for many years. in 30 years if you have no warranty work done on a pair of swarovisions or razors, what will be still functioning? ive never been a vortex fan, cant justify paying close to the amount of the big three glass just for a warranty that odds are will need to be used. sure they have good glass but imo the big three are better. I bought my first pair of swaros when I was quite young. put my mind to it that I only wanted to buy once, and bit the bullet. not one regret!

finaddict
03-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Great information all around here. I am still using a really old pair of 8 x 50 binos that were made for "Eatons" (Yes the old Eatons store). I am also ready to graduate to new glass, but I have not found anyone who make the same size. I really like the 8 x 50 compared to the 10 x 42. I prefer the wider field of vision and lower magnification and 8 x 50 used to be the standard a couple decades ago. Can anyone tell me why the switch by most manufacturers to 10x42 as the standard?

I will also be one of those people who is prepared to put down 5 or 6 hun, but have a really hard time justifying a G note for glass. But then again, I only hunt for a week or so in the fall. Maybe once retired I will see the need to invest in high end glass.

Thanks for any input.

.264winmag
03-10-2016, 09:32 AM
The razors are good, but no better than the Zeiss conquest HD IMO. Then there's the big three with Swaro EL at the top. The gain may not seem that much looking at the back corner of a store but stare through em for 10 hrs/day in the mountains and its apparent. Many great sets of glass on the market no doubt, they will all get the job done especially in the $1k range. Still doesn't change the fact that there's good, then there's the best...

OutWest
03-10-2016, 01:31 PM
heres my take on the swaro vs razor debate. swaro is tried and true to be one of the best binos/optics on the market for many years. in 30 years if you have no warranty work done on a pair of swarovisions or razors, what will be still functioning? ive never been a vortex fan, cant justify paying close to the amount of the big three glass just for a warranty that odds are will need to be used. sure they have good glass but imo the big three are better. I bought my first pair of swaros when I was quite young. put my mind to it that I only wanted to buy once, and bit the bullet. not one regret!

Have to agree with this. Used a set of Leupold Pinnacles my whole life growing up. They served their purpose for what I needed at the time. Looked through my partners Swaro EL 10x42's and went out and bought a new pair for myself. It was a lot of money to invest at the time but I have not regretted it one bit. When my other partners put their glass down because of eye strain or low light, mine stay up and help me keep picking out animals.

HT maybe save up a few more bucks and buy one of the big 3, even if it's a used set in good condition. They pop up all the time. Sure the Vortex warranty is good but look at how many people on here say they've used it. You just don't see that with Swaro, Leica, Zeiss etc. because they produce a great product. Personally, I'd rather invest in top line glass that I know is going to hold up over the years. Sending my binos back and forth to Vortex a couple of times a year, no matter how good the warranty is? No thanks.

Plus, it's spring. Scouting/hunting is a ways off yet. Spend the next couple months putting a few extra dollars away and you won't regret it. I guarantee that.

Bugle M In
03-10-2016, 01:51 PM
what he said x2 ^^^

Ourea
03-10-2016, 02:03 PM
I think the take a way based on most comments is get the best glass you can afford.
I support those that are echoing the big 3.

In most areas hunting is largely comprised of "looking".
Looking means you are on the glass a lot.

And when you get a pr of high end optics take care of them!

My elk hunting partner sports Swaro's.
For me, I use Ziess.

My partner didn't use a lens brush, didn't use a good cover system (does now!), so dust and fine grit would collect.
Needless to say the integrity of his bino's has been compromised by scratching from constant field cleaning with his lens cloth.

Citori54
03-10-2016, 03:34 PM
I bit the bullet 7 or 8 years ago and replaced my Leupold Golden Ring binos with a pair of Ziess Victory in 8x42. I compared the Swaro and Zeiss and because I wear glasses found the Zeiss better for my eyes. They were expensive but I don't regret the purchase for a minute. Agree completely with Ourea that you have to protect the investment. I have a Badlands case and always use the lens brush to avoid scratches. My brother has a pair of Swaro SLC that he bought probably 25 years ago that are still great glass. Buy the best that you can afford would be my advice.

HarryToolips
03-10-2016, 04:18 PM
All very good input, thanks all.....

03-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Did a bunch of research, read tests on birding websites etc and in the $1000 price range the Zeiss 10x42 Conquest HD was the winner. You'd have to spend +++$ to get something that offers a fairly small improvement. The other binocular that did very well was the Leica Trinovid at about $1500. I ended up buying the Conquest HD and am happy with them. I think I paid $1100 or so. One binocular that I was interested in and that got great reviews too was the Meopta 10x42HD - Cabela's sells the same binocular under the Euro HD name. They are only about $150 less than the Zeiss and the Zeiss was rated better and that's why I went with them.

Apparently one of the reason some older German binoculars do very well is because they used to have lead in the lenses. I did a side by side comparison with my friend's old 8x56 Zeiss binoculars and we both agreed the new 10x42's were better.

Stormy
03-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Lots of info here and better reviews than from fanboys and dealers on HBC

http://opticsthoughts.com/

click binoculars tab, and check out Reviews binoculars - good starting point.

Bugle M In
03-10-2016, 04:35 PM
I usually don't try o clean my optics out in the field....if I can.
I wait til I get home, and rinse them off in the sink under running water (there supposed to be waterproof)
That way I get all the grit of first, than I clean with the proper stuff etc...
Just don't be like my Dad, who can't help using a Kleenex (I guess he doesn't care in what shape I inherit stuff...lol)
Badlands case was the best thing I ever bought to pack the Bino's in (just watch out for the metal rings that
attach to the bino's....they can scratch the lens, so I taped them)
Spend what you can, as others stated, especially if glassing all day.
But if you are just a weekend hunter, and only use them while doing stalk and quick spot etc, you probably
don't need to spend big bucks, but I do recommend a 40mm.
The one place where you wish you spend the money maybe a situation right near dark, and you need all the
help you can get to count tines (just something to consider)

The Hermit
03-10-2016, 04:36 PM
KOWA BD Check out the specs at http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/kowa-bd42-xd-binoculars/

Do a search on them for reviews... Kowa is a Japanese company that has been in the optics business for decades. they grind their own glass and have a limited lifetime warranty.

I would rank these with Vortex Razors and SWARO SLC binos for a lot less money.

RiverRunner
03-10-2016, 04:36 PM
….one must realize if swaro zeiss or leica flooded the market with affordable products like Vortex has done with the $600 and less market…..There would probably be just as many stories of needing warranty.
I'm curious to the Vortex stats and percentages on units produced to warranty claims on those lower models…. Haven't heard allot of stories of the top tier Razors needing vortex VIP.

I have had the Razor HD 10x42 for a year now. So far so good. My Buddy has the swaro HD 10X42…. they were great to look through, but not enough to justify that with the price difference I can buy another really nice rifle. The razors also felt better in hand for me. The swaro had nicer eye cups though.

todbartell
03-10-2016, 04:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouIuH3S4OOs

Gateholio
03-10-2016, 05:19 PM
I've had to use warranty for optics from all the Big 3. And Leupold, Bushnell too.

Only Vortex scope I've had for long is a Razor and it's very good optically and no repairs needed to date.

Ryan Searcy recently set a new Canadian record in service rifle competition using a Vortex.

I'll never argue getting one of the Big 3, I've got them- but I'm not so sure that others aren't just as good these days.

.264winmag
03-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Mine unscrew also, not sure exactly what we're looking at but by the looks of the dirt inside he doesn't take care of them. Not sure any bino will survive smashing down on the eyepiece;)

charlie_horse
03-10-2016, 08:16 PM
whats your opinions at 8x or 10x in the bino. I'm looking at a pair of 8.5 swaro but i feel like i might regret not going with 10x even if most reviews tell me otherwise.

todbartell
03-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Mine unscrew also, not sure exactly what we're looking at

right side eye cup just spins and spins and spins. Emailed Swarovski 3 days ago about getting them repaired - haven't heard back yet

.264winmag
03-10-2016, 08:34 PM
whats your opinions at 8x or 10x in the bino. I'm looking at a pair of 8.5 swaro but i feel like i might regret not going with 10x even if most reviews tell me otherwise.

Field of view is biggest difference. For dedicated open country/mountain hunting I went 10x, if I was still chasing Blacktails in the timber etc. the 8.5 would be better suited.

.264winmag
03-10-2016, 08:40 PM
right side eye cup just spins and spins and spins. Emailed Swarovski 3 days ago about getting them repaired - haven't heard back yet

Maybe dumb question but have you tried expanding the eyepiece and then screwing on clockwise? That's how mine need to be installed...

smoothbor
03-10-2016, 08:43 PM
I bought some swaro el range 2 yrs ago and love them. had vortex razors before had a fog issue sent them away got them back and sold them to an employee. I hunt with him and know for a fact he sent them back the same year but not due to fogging but the focus dial stopped working but he has them still. they were ok for the price but not swaro zeiss or leica nice.. did I say I love my swaros lol

.264winmag
03-10-2016, 09:00 PM
Maybe dumb question but have you tried expanding the eyepiece and then screwing on clockwise? That's how mine need to be installed...

My bad, they should install either way clockwise. My buddy lost the rubber off his eyepiece they sent him new set no cost. My Viper HST scope left Canada for warranty 25 days ago, no update yet...

Cordillera
03-10-2016, 09:20 PM
I like my kowas too. They were about 600 bucks five years ago. When I compare other more expensive ones I have a hard time telling the difference because my eyes are a bigger problem than the glass!

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Buy something like those Swaros on the buy'n'sell.

Do NOT buy ANY Asian crap.

Watch CGN as well, sometimes good used Leica, Zeiss, or Swaro show up for sale. With the shit show in Alberta right now, some guys have been selling off their toys to make truck payments.

Patience, Grasshopper. Don't rush into a Chinese Mistake.

HarryToolips
03-10-2016, 10:04 PM
^^^^^i agree, thanks...

wildcatter
03-10-2016, 10:41 PM
I have an old school Zeiss 8X32 Notarem, made in Jena East Germany.
Great binos, sharp and light, fits in my shirt pocket, but not waterproof.
The other one is a Zeiss 7X40B GA rubber armored, waterproof also made
in Jena and I was told the East German border guards used them, great glasses.
I had a Japanese made 7X50 Kamakura waterproof, that I wish haven't sold.

Bernie O
03-11-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't see any mention of Zen Ray, I got a set 3 yrs ago and even my buddy who swears by his swaros cant tell the difference. Approx $ 450 if you shop around.

Ourea
03-11-2016, 02:13 PM
There are quite a few "decent" optics out the last several years at attractive pricing.
That's a given.
A few of these tier 2 and 3 brands have been mentioned.

Some believe there isn't that much of a difference compared to top tier brands.
In ideal light you are not going to see a big difference .....and for some that's just fine.

Compare optics during the last 10 mins of light.
This is when you will see a larger difference in quality.
This is where the cream rises.
When light is truly challenging, images that are not discernible thru one model can be made out thru another.

In a vast majority of hunting situations (on mature animals) it comes down to the first or last few mins of legal shooting light.
I, for one, would never compromise on optic quality knowing it can be the difference of being able to close in low light conditions.

RiverOtter
03-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Used to be an article on 24hourcampfire, where they ran a binocular test with the big 3's top models, 2 Minox, Pentax and a Nikon. All were set on tripods and aimed at a magazine page, while the testers went from set to set in fading light to see which set offered the best clarity until it was simply too dark to see anymore.

Going from memory, Zeiss came out on top, followed by Leica and Swaro, then the Minox 8.5x52HG's then Pentax, and finally Nikon and the 8x42 Minox. This was a blind test if I recall, so no predetermined expectations, just a no bullchit "Last Glass Standing" kinda competition. Article went on to say that a couple of the "lesser" bins were within 97% class of the big 3 and only got ousted with the very last of the fading light.

In my experience, the "Big 3" are still the top three, but the gap is much narrower than it used to be. And while I can savvy wanting/owning the "Best", it still boils down to how much more you're willing to spend for that extra 3-5%; and there's a fair number of choices these days that are right on the heals of the "Grails"

RiverOtter
03-11-2016, 03:36 PM
There are quite a few "decent" optics out the last several years at attractive pricing.
That's a given.
A few of these tier 2 and 3 brands have been mentioned.

Some believe there isn't that much of a difference compared to top tier brands.
In ideal light you are not going to see a big difference .....and for some that's just fine.

Compare optics during the last 10 mins of light.
This is when you will see a larger difference in quality.
This is where the cream rises.
When light is truly challenging, images that are not discernible thru one model can be made out thru another.

In a vast majority of hunting situations (on mature animals) it comes down to the first or last few mins of legal shooting light.
I, for one, would never compromise on optic quality knowing it can be the difference of being able to close in low light conditions.
After your bins have helped you to determine legality of your prey with the last sliver of useable light, you raise up your rifle and can't see shit through your rifle scope..........:-P

wideopenthrottle
03-11-2016, 03:48 PM
^^^^^^ as my old buddy used to say..."you can only go as fast as the slowest mule on the wagon train"...sounds like a situation where you would have to go "hey grab those binos and tell me which dark spot ion the hill I should shoot"...jk...heheheh^^^^

Bugle M In
03-11-2016, 04:33 PM
After your bins have helped you to determine legality of your prey with the last sliver of useable light, you raise up your rifle and can't see shit through your rifle scope..........:-P

That's why you spend big bucks on the scope....
Mine are mounted with Zeiss as well....
No issues when that situation arises any longer...zeiss bino'..zeiss scope.

Boner
03-11-2016, 05:21 PM
I think the Zeiss Terra lineup shouldn't be part of the top three.

Just saying....But I think we all knew that.

Ourea
03-11-2016, 06:19 PM

Ha ha.

My comment was on "optics".
Doesn't matter if its a spotter, bino's or scope.
The separation between low light performance in premium bino's vs premium scopes is minimal.
If ur scope cant see shit in low light.....best buy a new scope.

Performance in low light is a key performance criteria for a lot of guys..... for others, probably not so much, because they are on their way back to camp or their vehicle well before low light......or didn't get in location for sun up.
If ur scope can't keep up pretty close with ur bino's in low light.....one needs to revaluate the marriage.

Quality bino's can determine, in low light, if that, in ur words, "legality", ....or, if it's that specific animal u r after.
Quality bino's can determine, in low light, if the shooting lane is free of obstruction....a twig or branch that may be overlooked thru a scope...

Message being... low light performance is a key consideration when purchasing above average "optics"....bino's or otherwise.

RiverOtter
03-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Guess I shoulda put "Just Kidding" after the "Razz" emoji............. :mrgreen:

At anyrate, I still put a LOT more emphasis on a rifle scope guiding a bullet to cross hair intersection than I do on having the uber clearest sight picture. VX3 or similar is PLENTY of glass for a rifle scope.

HarryToolips
03-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Ha ha.

My comment was on "optics".
Doesn't matter if its a spotter, bino's or scope.
The separation between low light performance in premium bino's vs premium scopes is minimal.
If ur scope cant see shit in low light.....best buy a new scope.

Performance in low light is a key performance criteria for a lot of guys..... for others, probably not so much, because they are on their way back to camp or their vehicle well before low light......or didn't get in location for sun up.
If ur scope can't keep up pretty close with ur bino's in low light.....one needs to revaluate the marriage.

Quality bino's can determine, in low light, if that, in ur words, "legality", ....or, if it's that specific animal u r after.
Quality bino's can determine, in low light, if the shooting lane is free of obstruction....a twig or branch that may be overlooked thru a scope...

Message being... low light performance is a key consideration when purchasing above average "optics"....bino's or otherwise.
Very good points...

.264winmag
03-11-2016, 09:50 PM
I can count tines in the dark with the swaro el's, better than with the NF NXS...

HarryToolips
03-11-2016, 09:59 PM
^^^^awesome, those go for about a grand as well??

.264winmag
03-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Nah the EL's are pricey, hard to justify unless you like to see in the dark;)

wildcatter
03-11-2016, 11:17 PM

That reminds me a time I was goat hunting in Franklin Arm of Chilco Lake.
Had to stay up the mountain for the night and sometime after midnight a grizzly started circling around me.
It was full moon and quite bright, I could clearly see the bear, but could see nothing through my scope.
An experience I will not forget.

Whonnock Boy
03-11-2016, 11:56 PM
Cool.... Is your avatar pic of when you were in there?

Sorry for the sidetrack. Resume the age old debate of best binos. Swarovski! :lol:

I was goat hunting in Franklin Arm of Chilco Lake. .

wildcatter
03-12-2016, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=Whonnock Boy;1761129]Cool.... Is your avatar pic of when you were in there?

No, it's near Big Dog Mtn.

OutWest
03-12-2016, 06:50 PM
HT, I would hazard a guess that the majority of the guys saying they don't notice a difference between high end optics and the lower ones are not spending a ton of time glassing or actually haven't compared the two side by side.

I compared a mid range optic to the Swarovski EL 10x42's numerous times in different settings before purchasing and there is without a doubt a substantial difference. The guys who are saying there isn't likely aren't glassing more than an hour or two total throughout the day.

Bottom line - Don't be in a rush to purchase, save your pennies, buy the highest end glass you can afford and you will never regret that decision.

RiverRunner
03-12-2016, 08:30 PM
sorry dude…. sounds like the grand$$$ you've been busting your ass for with all that OT isn't enough. Your less than a third of the way there until you can enjoy yourself and do it properly...

…..apparently

HarryToolips
03-13-2016, 12:17 AM
^^^^lol no a grand is what I had to work with, the rest of our free $ needs to go to other things..besides, a grand buys ya some great binos, maybe not 10/10 good, but still very good...I bought the Ziess Conquest HD's everybody, amazingly clear and crisp optics:wink:

.264winmag
03-13-2016, 12:24 AM
^^^^lol no a grand is what I had to work with, the rest of our free $ needs to go to other things..besides, a grand buys ya some great binos, maybe not 10/10 good, but still very good...I bought the Ziess Conquest HD's everybody, amazingly clear and crisp optics:wink:

Good choice, enjoy them. Best bang for buck IMO.

hunter1947
03-13-2016, 03:40 AM
I say 10x42 Vortex HD would be the ones I would get for 700.00 and out of the 1000.00 you were going to put out the other 300.00 use for your hunting trip this fall..

noth615
03-13-2016, 09:05 AM
The best bargain for binoculars is ... get an older pair of Swaro SLC, El or CL and sent them back to Swarovski to get refurbished. I now have a pair of 90's Slc's 7x30 with brand new outside lens and rubber, that in total I only spent $200 on!

DR.DOUG
03-13-2016, 12:12 PM
For my money I would have a look at the slc's in the HBC buy & sell.

RiverOtter
03-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Thinking a few guys missed the part where HT already bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest......... :smile:

RadHimself
03-13-2016, 07:51 PM
guess it depends what your doing with the bino's...

are these going to be 15x range and mounted on a tripod? or are you gong to be carrying them?

for the 15x range id suggest the 15x50 vortex kaibab's

if your carrying them and using them then the swaro 8x42 ranging bin's

im using a set of 10x50 vortex vulture's hung off a Nimrod outdoors harness and havnt had an issue with fogging whatsoever

Backcountry Hunter
03-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Try to find used pair of Swaros. Mine are 20 years old and still unreal

Backcountry Hunter
03-13-2016, 08:10 PM
A set for sale on here of 10x42 Swaro