PDA

View Full Version : The bears are winning...

Gateholio
05-31-2007, 09:09 AM
So far, the bears are winning this season. I've been out plenty of times, but just haven't seen "The Big One" that I want to shoot yet. Lots of 5 1/2, maybe 6" bears, but no monsters.

Oh, actually, I did see A Big One. He was standing right on the side of the highway!! I guess I coudl have stopped, circled back and shot him leglaly, but it didn't seem to be that exciting to do. Stopped and loked at him for some time, he was quite unconcerned wiht me.

Last night we went out, only saw a sow with 2 cubs, and a cow moose. Spent alot of time wathcing the cubs through the spotter, watching as they engaged in a no holds barred UFC match..And then woudl lose balance and roll down the hill, only to begin again. Too funny.:mrgreen:

Still some time left inthe season, so hopefully I will run into Mr Big.8)

Congrats to all that have got thier bear already, some great bears being taken! Don't forget to enter them in the bear contest!!

mapguy
05-31-2007, 09:22 AM
no holds barred too funny priceless

Stone Sheep Steve
05-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Keep at 'er Gate!! The big boys' guards should be dropping as they get love on their minds. With this heat, let's hope they've still have some fur still attached:-?.

SSS

Mr. Dean
05-31-2007, 09:38 AM
No Monster for ME... No Monster for YOU!

Only seems fair.

Elkhound
05-31-2007, 09:52 AM
I have been looking for Mr.Right as well. Almost all have been 5.5ft or smaller. Really would like to take one with the bow or my old Husky in 6.5 I will keep looking

bigwhiteys
05-31-2007, 10:12 AM
I am in the same boat... Maybe I should stop being so picky, We've stalked to within 30 yards of several different midsize 6' foot bears only to video them and move on...

We've been watching one really big boar, close to 7' since April, went to finally cut the tag on him this weekend and never found him :( he had been in the same place 4 weekends in a row.

Very few of the bears we've seen have rubbed... The ones who did rub all seemed to be the younger bears... The bigger, more mature males seem to still have good coats... At least all the bears we've been seeing anyways.

With Sheep season just around the corner I am starting to get dissinterested in a black bear :)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

rollingrock
05-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, actually, I did see A Big One. He was standing right on the side of the highway!! I guess I coudl have stopped, circled back and shot him leglaly, but it didn't seem to be that exciting to do. Stopped and loked at him for some time, he was quite unconcerned wiht me.

Why not? That's a mental game. He knows that people won't take him because either some ones never checked synopsis and aren't sure whether they could shoot 15m off the centre line of a highway or some ones like you who occasionally want to be more legendary. That's a smart ass. The most dangerous spot is the safest. Mr. Sun Tzu Bruin!:mrgreen::-D

Barracuda
05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Its all about the hunt :mrgreen:

Rod
05-31-2007, 12:15 PM
My son took a small one (his first) and while I haven't seen "my" Mr Big I have enjoyed a couple of good stalks..... was about 20 feet from a 5-5 1/2 footer last weekend, considered taking him as my first archery kill but it really is all about the hunt.

My next bear will eiter be better than what is on the wall now or a brown phase if I ever get to the mainland for them.

Elkhound
05-31-2007, 12:19 PM
My son took a small one (his first) and while I haven't seen "my" Mr Big I have enjoyed a couple of good stalks..... was about 20 feet from a 5-5 1/2 footer last weekend, considered taking him as my first archery kill but it really is all about the hunt.

My next bear will eiter be better than what is on the wall now or a brown phase if I ever get to the mainland for them.

Story? Pics? Come on Rod. How old is your son. Lets have some info:-D

Will
05-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Same for me Gate..........didn't get my Holidays in time I'd hoped for !:mad:
But same deal.been out a few times.....only seen the Little fellas:???:
Gonna try and get the Boy out for one last Kick at things......maybe Sat :-D

Gateholio
05-31-2007, 03:11 PM
It's pretty weird..Usually by now I've at least SEEN some big ones!8):mrgreen:

Will
05-31-2007, 03:14 PM
It's pretty weird..Usually by now I've at least SEEN some big ones!8):mrgreen:
Well it's 30 degrees here right now so a Fella would have to hunt real late in the day, or head into the thick crap to find a Big fella right now I'm guessing:-?
I did see 2 Huge Yotes today with nice Brown coats.........I'd loved to have plugged them both :twisted:

Steeleco
05-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Only been out twice and only seen one nice 6' but we surprised him as we crested a hill. He didn't stop to see what he was running from. Still 2 weeks to try for more!!

Gateholio
05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Well it's 30 degrees here right now so a Fella would have to hunt real late in the day, or head into the thick crap to find a Big fella right now I'm guessing:-?
I did see 2 Huge Yotes today with nice Brown coats.........I'd loved to have plugged them both :twisted:

Yeah, we were out until dark last night, but it was still damn warm.:-D

daycort
05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
hotter then a witches t*t up here last 4 days to. seen 5 bears during magic hour last night. one not bad sized brownie but still things were not right for a stock, maybe tonite. if i shoot one you all will have to wait until i get home so my wife can show me how to post up a pic. my neck maybe red.

srupp
05-31-2007, 06:20 PM
I have one 6' bear still with beautiful coat..and exellent sausage material...went out with my hunting partner @ 3 am..headed up high 1735 meters..still snow,,,didnt see any bears today...

Hm so one great grizzly and one average but good blackie..now comes fishing and getting ready for SPATSIZI..YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW WW

steven

Stone Sheep Steve
05-31-2007, 06:37 PM
I have one 6' bear still with beautiful coat..and exellent sausage material...went out with my hunting partner @ 3 am..headed up high 1735 meters..still snow,,,didnt see any bears today...

Hm so one great grizzly and one average but good blackie..now comes fishing and getting ready for SPATSIZI..YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW WW

steven

Steven-I see your out bear hunting and focusing back on sheep8). I take it your leg is healing well??

SSS

Will
05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
....one great grizzly and one average but good blackie..now comes fishing and getting ready for SPATSIZI..YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW WW
Settle down Steven......you've already had more fun then most deserve this year already ! :mrgreen: :wink:

Best of Luck with the Sheep ! :-D