PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Stone Sheep Hunting Questions

Van Island
03-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Hi
I'm heading on my 2nd sheep hunting trip this year. I'm +50yrs old and went on one years ago (~20), there was four of us (2 groups of 2) and each group got a legal ram, problem was that I never shot the ram from our group. I realized recently that I want to get a ram (or at least experience sheep hunting again) and thought I better do it before I get too old. I've been researching a lot over the last year, with most of the best info coming from this site-forum. A big thanks for all the steady contributors out there. I have a lot of questions from all the various info I've read so I'll try to keep my questions worthy of people time and hopefully provide some help for other newbie sheep hunters. Here's a few questions for starters:

-heading out for the Aug 1 opener, I've read that early in the season 'N' aspect basin are sometimes better due to more snow-cooler temps...any truth to this?

-crossing streams, I have Meidl boots but not the high tops, I've read gaiters and high tops are a good system to cross, is this the preferred method?

-probably heading out 2-3 days before the opener, do most guys head for their 'preferred' spot (assuming you have some prior knowledge) on a fairly good pace and start the serious glassing once they arrive OR glass on a slower serious note as they travel?

thanks

BiG Boar
03-08-2016, 07:22 AM
1. I have no idea what "N" word is.

2. wiggys waders or crocks for stream crossing.

3. Changes by the person. My thoughts are you really need to be there for a feeding time if you're going to spot glassing them. They camo so well bedded.

bridger
03-08-2016, 07:25 AM
Like big boar says what is n

Daybreak
03-08-2016, 07:31 AM
N = north. All animals require thermal relief although the temperature ranges vary for species and how they find relief varies.

SR80
03-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Im thinking "N" is north aspect of a basin

.264winmag
03-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Opening day is obviously very warm and bugs are bad ime. Rams will be wherever they want to be, veg has not yet cooked off in as many spots as say early sept. As far as concentrating on N facing I wouldn't say so, anywhere they get good breeze can work. From what I've experienced opening day they like to feed early morning and late afternoon down low, killing the day way up high in the breeze. I've found them to be fairly tame this time of year, not near as spooky as a month later. Outright dumb compared to a wt buck! Glass everywhere, personally they are not as hard to spot as most make out, nothing like say a single blacktail hunkered down in the thick coastal veg. Brought gaiters my first trip never packed em since. Mid height boots have served me well, x2 on having crocs for crossing and just chilling in camp or glassing.

fireguy
03-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Last time I went sheep hunting in August we ended up hiking in in our boxers wearing sandals for stream crossings. Weather can be very warm. In fact as we were hiking up the drainage we just wore our sandals the whole way in.

03-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Some of the Best areas you can access by hiring a Packer like....... Riverjet Adnevtures, Steamboat mountain outfitters, Tetsa River outfitters to name a few. They can take you into good areas to access Stone Sheep at a fraction of a guided price. Plus a few fly in outfits , if you do lots of homework, bust your backside, get as much Intel as possible ....... You may be successful. Good luck to you.

REMINGTON JIM
03-08-2016, 09:42 AM
1. I have no idea what "N" word is.

2. wiggys waders or crocks for stream crossing.

3. Changes by the person. My thoughts are you really need to be there for a feeding time if you're going to spot glassing them. They camo so well bedded.

Big Boar - have you got or used these ones ? Thks RJ

http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/lightweight-waders/

375shooter
03-08-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm a newbie sheep hunter too. Went on only one trip so far and never even saw a sheep.:cry: With the number of hunters out there and with all the different ways to access the country, I've always been curious about this. In the typical places that hunters go for stones, are there bowls that hold rams that are overlooked, or are too remote for hunters to get to? Or is more like pretty much all of the area gets looked over, at some point?

325 wsm
03-08-2016, 12:46 PM
The N basins also have a better water supply as well as what you already stated. Boots will dry with hiking and the water will not penetrate your skin just undo your waist and chest straps on your loaded pack before crossing questionable streams. Areas with more pressure push the smarter rams into locations you might not expect, keep your eyes peeled and look everywhere. look for the white on the stones and spotting scope anything not definitive with binos.

bridger
03-08-2016, 01:04 PM
If you are hunting in August you will generally find Rams on a mountain that has a rough north facing basin that they can use for a bedding area, and a drier south facing slope that has lots of grass they use as a feeding area.

Rams are habitual and if you find them on a mountain in August this year chances are good they will be there next August. When you are hunting an area for the first time you have to find the ram mountains. You do that by glassing lots. After you gain some experience you can usually, as a general rule, tell by looking at a mountain if chances are good that it holds Rams.

Having said that Rams are where you find them, experience just makes finding them easier. You get experience with boot leather, perseverance, patience, and good bino's and sometimes just plain luck. Good hunting!

boxhitch
03-08-2016, 04:15 PM
are there bowls that hold rams that are overlooked, or are too remote for hunters to get to? Or is more like pretty much all of the area gets looked over, at some point?Lots of features get over-looked, as many as get looked-over, large and smell. There is lots of good country out there.

boxhitch
03-08-2016, 04:35 PM
wiggys waders or crocks for stream crossing.
Wiigy's Waders , Frontier Gear of Alaska Glacier Socks , or Neos Sourdough Slipper , or ;) Cabelas 3 mm. neoprene waders cut-down to hip waders , all good stuff

digger dogger
03-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Big Boar - have you got or used these ones ? Thks RJ

http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/lightweight-waders/

I have a set of these wiggy's, they are awesome for creek crossings.
But that is all they are built for.
I bring them on all trips up in the northern part of BC.

.264winmag
03-09-2016, 08:24 AM
Lots of features get over-looked, as many as get looked-over, large and smell. There is lots of good country out there.

Watched two groups on horseback harass the piss out of our main valley one year. No legal Rams were around it seemed. We spotted 3 up high out of sight and beyond horse access. Went over to check em out and found another band of 18 in a tiny little bowl with a spring and lotsa green. As a crow flies was just over a km from horse trail, but the half day hike and 2500ft climb was enough to keep all those Rams safe, until we crashed the party.

Ltbullken
03-09-2016, 09:40 AM
We watched rams bed on a very sunny exposed ridge, all afternoon while we waited for the shooter to stand up. Our water was done and it was hot. So north bowls are not always the good spots. I think they rely first on good sight lines, escape routes and access to food in combination.

Gaiters won't stop your feet getting wet. Water will seap around the gaiter. Sandals are best.