PDA

View Full Version : Tick Remover

hunter1947
03-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Now that tick season is upon us here is a tool that makes removing ticks easy just purchased it today got this unit from a pet store coast me $11.00 including tax
you pull unit at the bottom into the tick and turn anticlockwise :-)..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00539.JPG

ruger#1
03-07-2016, 11:10 AM
I use the Tick Key. I have four of them.

https://youtu.be/ab00dtCROg0

https://youtu.be/o050NFSRZr4

brian
03-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Just an FYI, you can do the same thing with strong thin thread or fishing line. Just make a little noose and tighten it around the tick as close to the skin as possible. Then pull out slowly and evenly with both threads. It may take a bit for it to give but it will give. You can also run the noose through a small tube or tape it to a pencil and twist it out.

hunter1947
03-07-2016, 11:25 AM
I use the Tick Key. I have four of them.

https://youtu.be/ab00dtCROg0

https://youtu.be/o050NFSRZr4

The tick key looks like it might not remove the head sometimes the video shows pulling of the tick with this tool ????..

ruger#1
03-07-2016, 12:11 PM
I use it on my GSPs. It works good. I used it on myself once. The head came with the tick. My cousin was paralyzed from a tick. She got it in Rock Creek. The back of it fell off< and the head kept going in until it hit a nerve. She was fine when it was surgically removed. You have to check all over your body, For them pests.

ruger#1
03-07-2016, 12:14 PM
The tick key looks like it might not remove the head sometimes the video shows pulling of the tick with this tool ????..As long as your pulling the head. Not the body. Then you should be ok. You put it over the tick and push the flat piece down, And then pull sideways.

hunter1947
03-07-2016, 12:23 PM
As long as your pulling the head. Not the body. Then you should be ok. You put it over the tick and push the flat piece down, And then pull sideways.

I see but what if the tick head is inbeded deep into you or your pet ??.

Boner
03-07-2016, 12:27 PM
I once had to hotknife a wood tick out of a co workers scalp on the side of the highway. That was a good day. I wish someone filmed that...

ruger#1
03-07-2016, 12:34 PM
My buddy had one in his armpit. It was dug in deep. All I could see was the hind legs. Had to use tweezers and lots of alcohol. We got it out. But it was one hell of a job. The only way he known it was there. He felt an itching sensation. And called me. My vet has some tick medicine that kills ticks on dogs. So they do not get to many. I drove from Oliver to Mission a couple of years ago. Got home, Went to wash my face. And one fell out of my beard into the sink. Called my wife. And she started yelling and screaming. You have one on you're back. My daughter used the tick key and removed it. Then I took the ticks to the health unit. They tested negative. Always carry a medicine bottle with a moist cotton ball in it to save the tick. And get it tested. I have hauled out five loads of firewood this year. No ticks yet. Knock on wood.

Elkhound
03-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reminder Wayne. Been wanting to pick up one of these for a while now.

caddisguy
03-07-2016, 06:47 PM
The worst are the small ticks, like 1-2mm long. I've been lucky with removin ticks so far. All came out clean, but I always have one of those plastic removers and surgical tweezers around just incase.

I once had a little guy dig into my hip. Could only see the tips of the hind legs. In a game of wits with a little poking and squeezing he backed out on his own and proceeding to crawl around on my skin. I only noticed that one because I felt it, but it makes me wonder how many tiny ones have dug in me and went unnoticed.

walks with deer
03-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Ooh time to check the kids and get some heavy deet.

Found one in my daughters hair last April it was slightly embedded and I removed whole but took a while to heal.. more parnoid after reading above stories.

RackStar
03-07-2016, 07:04 PM
This thread creeps me out more then grizz attacks.

Dash
03-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Aw man.. this thread has my skin crawling :( I've been fortunate and haven't had any on me before.. Now I'm really paranoid haha

hunter1947
03-08-2016, 05:31 AM
The tick remover I bought it is only 2 inches long very small I put it in one of my pill bottles where I have tylenol pills I take to help kill the pain in my body when
I am sore from an all days hick in the forest..

Down South
03-08-2016, 05:40 AM
My son has been shed hunting several times this year in the Kelowna area, and has not come back with at least 1 tick on him but the average is more like 3

BCJaeger
03-08-2016, 12:10 PM
What about tick prevention using Permethrin? If you treat your cloths with that stuff you should reduce/eliminate tick bites. What is your experience? Does that work well?

Ride Red
03-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Wooden matches work good too. Light match, blow it out and touch tick as close to head as possible.

wideopenthrottle
03-08-2016, 01:08 PM
if they are embedded you will eventually feel an itch and scratch it (which should make you notice it) in my experiences

wideopenthrottle
03-08-2016, 01:13 PM
one of the girls here at work pulled one off her dog and decided to set it free by throwing it outside onto her steps...honest to G.. she ended up getting the tick on her a few days later and contracted lyme and some other disease I cant remember right now...took her months of treatment before she could return to work..she laughs about it when she says she learned her lesson about treating little creatures with the "live and let live " attitude

Moe.JKU
03-08-2016, 01:53 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,51555&p=67728

I find this works great had one last spring and it did the trick. For 10 bucks its not bad

Wagonmaster
03-08-2016, 03:16 PM
The tick key looks like it might not remove the head sometimes the video shows pulling of the tick with this tool ????..
I agree. Kinda looks like this method could leave the head and mouthparts behind due to the lateral pulling motion. I've read you need to pull more in a straight upward manner. Don't apply heat or squeeze body in any way as this can expel contents of the tick into your body. No twisting. Just grab as low as you can with a tweezer-like tool and pull straight up. Never done it, so no expert, but that seems to be what most of the internet posters seem to say.

RiverRunner
03-08-2016, 07:47 PM
I have a few of these stashed in appropriate places and kits… Fortunately I've not needed them yet.

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents/tick-tweezers

walks with deer
03-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Wideopen throttle

Sounds like your coworker fits into darwinizmn

kush
03-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Yes, like the OP said, be sure to twist counter clockwise. Clockwise will just make it go in further. Righty tighty, lefty loosy.

But seriously, straight up seems the way~

Jagermeister
03-09-2016, 01:01 AM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by hunter1947 http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1759406#post1759406)

I agree. Kinda looks like this method could leave the head and mouthparts behind due to the lateral pulling motion. I've read you need to pull more in a straight upward manner. Don't apply heat or squeeze body in any way as this can expel contents of the tick into your body. No twisting. Just grab as low as you can with a tweezer-like tool and pull straight up. Never done it, so no expert, but that seems to be what most of the internet posters seem to say.What give you the notion that you have to twist the tick key? Once you have the mouth part captured you lift it upward.
Also, it doesn't matter what tool you use, just remember to clean and disinfect the tool with some form of disinfectant. A little alcohol will work. And don't forget to keep the blighter for test and she must be alive. As someone mentioned, a lightly moist cotton swab in a pill bottle works.

luckofthedraw
03-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Brought one into the office with me today; (probably in the truck from yesterdays shed hunt). Found him crawling on the back of my neck. He spent about 5 hours on the desk beside me under a water glass, until I squished him. Dirty buggers

wideopenthrottle
03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Wideopen throttle

Sounds like your coworker fits into darwinizmn

she is such a sweety that it was quite heart breaking to hear her tell the story.... she was very sick -bed ridden for months from the other disease besides lyme (I still cant remember what the other disease she got from the tick was)...she has learned her lesson I think

B.C.Boy(100%)
03-09-2016, 04:48 PM
I use water and a cotton swab.
Get tick all lubed up with water.
The water helps prevent the tick from re-establishing it's hold when you work the wet cotton swab gently counter clockwise around the Ticks body, in a few minutes or less the tick lets go.
Wrap it up in some tissue paper and then throw it in the fire, gone, eradicate these things.
Some times it helps to trim some hair a way from where the tick is embedded, less for it to grab.

The reasons I like using the water and cotton swab method;
No worries of squeezing the ticks guts into the you or your pets, which can happen with tweezers.
Same thing with Alcohol, chemicals, or ointments, these sort of things applied to a tick that is embedded can make the tick get sick while it's embedded in you or your pet, just not a good thing to chance.
and, it never leaves the ticks head in the patients body.

This has been #169,839/1,000,000 ways to skin the kitty.

green machine
03-09-2016, 09:17 PM
So got bit on the weekend by a tic. at the mostit was on me for 11 hrs. Kinda been freaked out about it ever since. We got it out easily and it was not big at all. So I am assuming wasn't feeding long. Went to the doc and she basically said not to worry to much at all because here on the island there is little to no lyme disease. Any of you that have been bit, what did you guys do.

ruger#1
03-10-2016, 03:04 AM
So got bit on the weekend by a tic. at the mostit was on me for 11 hrs. Kinda been freaked out about it ever since. We got it out easily and it was not big at all. So I am assuming wasn't feeding long. Went to the doc and she basically said not to worry to much at all because here on the island there is little to no lyme disease. Any of you that have been bit, what did you guys do.Little or no. So that's like playing the lottery.

Big Lew
03-10-2016, 05:37 AM
Although I've had them crawling on me several times, and on my clothing, knock on wood that I've not had
them drill into me. I've had to take them out of dogs and horses though, and I used a pair of small thin tweezers.
I'm also paranoid of the buggers so I don't go out into the bush in March of April anymore, especially in the
Okanagan, Interior, or Kootaneys.

ruger#1
03-10-2016, 07:18 AM
I am sure glad we do not have mango worms here. Those are pesky little maggots.

hunter1947
03-11-2016, 04:49 AM
When I am out shed hunting if I have someone with me I will take my coat and shirt off so my shed partner can see if there are any ticks on my back if I don't have a shed partner I will take a small mirror with me put on a tree lim and I can look at my back looking into the mirror when I get home I take all my garments off and look for ticks I have two mirrors in my bathroom so I can see the back of me from head to feet many of times I find ticks on the back of mt spin they like it there because that's one of the warmer places on the body..

ruger#1
03-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Wayne. Look up bot fly on YouTube. Hope we do not get them here.

Jagermeister
03-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Wayne. Look up bot fly on YouTube. Hope we do not get them here.We do have bot flys here. Even up in the north. The local bot fly is a rabbit bot fly. The larva are called warbles and hard to extract. You do not want to crush them either as they can cause infection.

The parasitic larvae of these flies can infest human beings and other animals as well, including dogs, foxes, cats, and minks.It's not frequent that a human will get infected with the rabbit bot fly warble.
The egg laying method of the rabbit bot fly is to deposit the eggs at the entrance to any small rodent. As the critter pass into the entrance, the eggs are rubbed off and attached to the body.
I have seen them on chipmunks and mice too.
One of those was in the groin area of a deer mouse. The area that the warble has chewed out was about the size of a quarter. The cat had bagged this mouse, but I don't think it would have survived given the amount of body mass lost.
The chipmunk was one of three that we had tamed to eat seed from the hand. One had a bot fly warble and eventually, the warble moved on to the next stage of it's life cycle.
I have seen pictures of infected caribou from the Labrador region. One of the caribou was severely infected with hundreds in the throat which was seriously affecting the animals breathing. It was dispatched.
Where humans have to be really concerned is when you take trips to central America, like Costa Rica. The bot fly deposits it eggs on a captured mosquito's belly. When the mosquito lands on you for a blood lunch, the eggs react to the warm body temp and drop, attach and immediately hatch. Then they start to migrate to a secluded part on your body. They will eventually move on but not before consuming a good chunk of your hide.
Oddly, the bot fly itself has no mouth and is solely an egg depositor. The bot fly stage of life is quite short compared to the other stages.

hunter1947
03-12-2016, 05:38 AM
I found two ticks on me yesterday here is one that I put onto the rocks..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/x1_-_Copy1.JPG

358mag
03-12-2016, 11:12 AM
I found two ticks on me yesterday here is one that I put onto the rocks..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/x1_-_Copy1.JPG
Wayne I hope you placed a very large rock with a bit of force on top of that tick .

hunter1947
03-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Wayne I hope you placed a very large rock with a bit of force on top of that tick .

I did better than that I squished it with a rock ..

hunter1947
03-12-2016, 11:27 AM
I am not embarrassed to say this I take off all garments above my waist line off every two hours and look to see if there are any ticks on my back and front I then remove my lower garments and do a check on the lower half of my body I carry a small mirror with me to do the check doing this helps big time befor the tick drills into you..

358mag
03-12-2016, 11:34 AM
I did better than that I squished it with a rock ..

Good job and remember there's no bag limit or LEH on Ticks

ruger#1
03-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Good job and remember there's no bag limit or LEH on Ticks

Just don't show the pictures to PETA.

358mag
03-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Just don't show the pictures to PETA.
No just sent them live samples to play with

ruger#1
03-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Ecologists have recently learned something new about opossums. They're a sort of magnet when it comes to riding the world of black-legged ticks, which spread Lyme disease. Several years ago, scientists decided to learn about the part different mammals play in the spread of the ticks and the disease. In the study, they discovered that opossums were remarkably good at getting rid of the ticks. Opossums groom themselves fastidiously, like cats and they find a tick, they lick it off and swallow it. Scientists say that in one season a single opossum can kill up to 5,000 ticks.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/viral/opossums-are-a-ticks-greatest-enemy/vi-AAgHhTx?ocid=spartandhp