PDA

View Full Version : The Waterfowlers Fear of Chest Wading

longshot
03-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Well this morning was my last day for waterfowling until the fall. I set up on a grass field between a potato and corn fields. The geese moved early on and everything was going great.. until the last bird of the day. I coach a single in nice close.. BOOM, right in the neck.. i couldnt take a follow up shot as i didnt feel like raining pellets on the road i was near, but the goose still hit the dirt.. i get up to go get it and it finds its second life and flew right into the potato field... then died. Great.. water levels are higher then ever. I start trecking out into the middle of the potato patch to get the goose and it was all good with water about 6 inches from the top of the waders.. i started to not look at the ground through the water anymore, then it all went wrong. I took one more step and didnt feel ground, quickly tried to pull myself back but it was too late.. in a split second my waders were full and i was going under in a hurry.. i held my breath and realized there was no easy way out. With my head completely under the water i still didnt feel ground.. i stayed calm, let go of my new wood semi auto, unclipped my waders and swam up and moved back to the chest deep water.. after finishing coughing up swamp juice, i unlayered and left my clothes on the water surface and dove back down a few times to find my gun. Thats when i realized it was about a 5 foot drop!! Anyways, if this ever happens to anyone, i recommend not trying to fight to the surface.. just hold your breath and calmly unclip your boots and worry about the gun later.. i can see how if i reacted any differently the situation couldve been much worse. At the end of it all, i did get my goose and found a $5 bill on the soggy walk back... so i guess it payed off, lol.

Longshot jr.

ruger#1
03-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Well this morning was my last day for waterfowling until the fall. I set up on a grass field between a potato and corn fields. The geese moved early on and everything was going great.. until the last bird of the day. I coach a single in nice close.. BOOM, right in the neck.. i couldnt take a follow up shot as i didnt feel like raining pellets on the road i was near, but the goose still hit the dirt.. i get up to go get it and it finds its second life and flew right into the potato field... then died. Great.. water levels are higher then ever. I start trecking out into the middle of the potato patch to get the goose and it was all good with water about 6 inches from the top of the waders.. i started to not look at the ground through the water anymore, then it all went wrong. I took one more step and didnt feel ground, quickly tried to pull myself back but it was too late.. in a split second my waders were full and i was going under in a hurry.. i held my breath and realized there was no easy way out. With my head completely under the water i still didnt feel ground.. i stayed calm, let go of my new wood semi auto, unclipped my waders and swam up and moved back to the chest deep water.. after finishing coughing up swamp juice, i unlayered and left my clothes on the water surface and dove back down a few times to find my gun. Thats when i realized it was about a 5 foot drop!! Anyways, if this ever happens to anyone, i recommend not trying to fight to the surface.. just hold your breath and calmly unclip your boots and worry about the gun later.. i can see how if i reacted any differently the situation couldve been much worse. At the end of it all, i did get my goose and found a $5 bill on the soggy walk back... so i guess it payed off, lol.

Longshot jr.
Glad your safe. It could of been another missing persons file. You should also carry a knife, so you can cut yourself out of your waders. The guy that drown on the Chilliwack river didn't have a chance. His waders held his legs up. He was wearing a chest belt.

Dano
03-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Glad you're ok! Thanks for sharing the story.

Surrey Boy
03-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Good advice, thanks for posting.

gmachine19
03-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Glad your okay. The main point to take here is not to panic. And maybe wear a pfd next time?

On the other hand, I don't believe that the recent death in Chilliwack river can be blamed on the waders. The air inside is not enough to keep the legs up of a conscious individual forever. That water was just too strong. And please don't try to cut yourself out of the waders. U might cut yourself in the process.

I have taken a dip in the vedder once before. Completely submerging my head. Scariest moment of my life but I managed to calm myself down and pull myself up the bank. 3rd time I almost drowned so I finally learned my lesson and go out with a pfd everytime I go.

This guy busts the wader myth out of the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs

Did you ever get your gun back?

ruger#1
03-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Glad your okay. The main point to take here is not to panic. And maybe wear a pfd next time?

On the other hand, I don't believe that the recent death in Chilliwack river can be blamed on the waders. The air inside is not enough to keep the legs up of a conscious individual forever. That water was just too strong. And please don't try to cut yourself out of the waders. U might cut yourself in the process.

I have taken a dip in the vedder once before. Completely submerging my head. Scariest moment of my life but I managed to calm myself down and pull myself up the bank. 3rd time I almost drowned so I finally learned my lesson and go out with a pfd everytime I go.

This guy busts the wader myth out of the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs

Did you ever get your gun back?He was stuck up against the river bank with his legs in the air. He was found that way.

03-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Great to hear our Fellow Waterfowler is OK. I commend you on your focus and calm over the ordeal, that could be a harsh one for many.

Very good news your OK ........ 5 bucks ...... two Tims coffee and donut. Bonus !

Sounds like you had a good shoot ta-boot !

CT

mcmullmar
03-05-2016, 02:11 PM
WOW way to stay calm. Not sure I could of. Glad you are ok.

wos
03-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Glad u are OK did you find your gun?

longshot
03-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Yup got my gun back aswell. Took 3 dives to find it

Foxton Gundogs
03-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Glad it worked out safely. There are a pair of waders in a ditch in. The Nanaimo Estuary a buddy of mine abandoned it was a long cold walk back in Long Johns and socks. Prime case for a good dog.

wingmaster
03-05-2016, 03:53 PM
It's scary, went for a swim myself this season. Was setting dekes and brought the mojo pole with me to poke around and test the depth. Found it to be constant just above the knee. Hour later the wind changed and I went to adjust the dekes and got careless thinking it was all good until my heel never met solid ground. Luckily I was able to grab some cat tails to drag myself out.

rocksteady
03-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Watched a buddy slogging away to retrieve a dead duck til he stepped in a hole, over his head... Wow did he ever have big eyes when he came up....Worst part, I could not have saved him...

Buck
03-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Glad your ok that is a scary moment.I picked up one of those Inflatable PFD's today at the outdoor show.Been meaning to do it for a while .

ruger#1
03-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Glad your ok that is a scary moment.I picked up one of those Inflatable PFD's today at the outdoor show.Been meaning to do it for a while . How much? I need some for the boat.

The Hermit
03-06-2016, 08:29 PM
I have an inflatable PDF that I wear in the canoe to get out to where we hunt but have been tanking it off in the layout blind... could easily step in an over-the-head hole on retrieves so I'll be keeping it on all day now! A word to the wise is all it takes! Thanks for posting.

Buck
03-06-2016, 08:37 PM
How much? I need some for the boat.

Payed $124.00 regular $188.00 camo mustang manual model steveston marine booth

ruger#1
03-06-2016, 08:43 PM
I have an inflatable PDF that I wear in the canoe to get out to where we hunt but have been tanking it off in the layout blind... could easily step in an over-the-head hole on retrieves so I'll be keeping it on all day now! A word to the wise is all it takes! Thanks for posting. I used to fish beaver ponds. Lots of holes to fall in. Lost one of my rubber boots. It was a rough walk back.

ruger#1
03-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Payed $124.00 regular $188.00 camo mustang manual model steveston marine booth

Sounds like a good deal. Not interested in the camo.

BowRunner
03-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Good to hear you are ok. Filling my waders in ocean rollers is one of my near death experiences also. Not fun! Let's stay alive out there.