PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Canoe

Arctic Lake
03-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Hi Fellas

Was wondering who uses a canoe on hunting trips ? If you do what make and model do you use ? What is it made of fibreglass, aluminium. Kevlar etc. Tell me what you think of your canoe that you use ? Do you mainly use it on rivers or lakes ?

Pictures would be great .
Thanks !
Arctic Lake

Big Lew
03-05-2016, 11:02 AM
I used a 16' Frontier Fiberglas square stern with a keel for many years when plying both
rivers and lakes. It worked quite well when carrying my bike or trail bike, gear, and a deer.
I used the keeled canoe so that I could line it up and down bad spots. My keel-less clipper
doesn't line well at all. I used a square stern so I could fit a gas outboard on it when traveling
long distances. I had a homemade storable outrigger for rough lake conditions, and to
have a place to strap my mt bike when returning fully loaded. Also had a custom tarp
to clip onto the gunnels, making it a 'closed canoe' to help in the bad choppy waves.

horshur
03-05-2016, 01:37 PM
the canoe to use is the one you have...

monasheemountainman
03-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Most helpful post ever

speycaster
03-05-2016, 03:01 PM
17 foot Chestnut Cronje, no keel, shitty primary stability, great secondary stability. I have had it since 1968, one re-canvas job. It has done the Bowron, the Nahanni, lots of trips on the upper Thompson above Kamloops, lots of places in Ontario ,Algonquin Park, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Great canoe. Square stern canoes are more freight boat than canoe. Outriggers are for Polynesia.

Arctic Lake
03-05-2016, 03:58 PM

Well you see the thing is I don't have one ! that's why I'm trying to gather some information .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
03-05-2016, 04:05 PM
I used a 16' Frontier Fiberglas square stern with a keel for many years when plying both
rivers and lakes. It worked quite well when carrying my bike or trail bike, gear, and a deer.
I used the keeled canoe so that I could line it up and down bad spots. My keel-less clipper
doesn't line well at all. I used a square stern so I could fit a gas outboard on it when traveling
long distances. I had a homemade storable outrigger for rough lake conditions, and to
have a place to strap my mt bike when returning fully loaded. Also had a custom tarp
to clip onto the gunnels, making it a 'closed canoe' to help in the bad choppy waves.

Thanks for the information Big Lew ! How stable was the Frontiersman flat stern for stability ? How was it for paddling when not using the outboard ?

What model of Clipper do you have ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Avalanche123
03-05-2016, 04:07 PM
16' Clipper Prospector cause like Horshur suggests, it's the one I have. I also have a deck for it and I have used it on many river trips. It isn't well suited to lake paddling but I make it work but I have been paddling a long time. It is also very light (Kevlar) which makes portaging enjoyable. It is certainly "tippy" which makes you pay attention. When I have novice paddlers in it, I am extra careful.

MRP
03-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Packing it a long way it to a lake Sports Pal.
Long trips with big loads, Cliper 18' sportsman.
Cheep and indestructible Colman. Ya can drag it through a clear cut behind a quad with the moose still in it. But is like paddling a log with the roots still attached.

Salty
03-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Got the same as Avalanche Clipper Prospector but mine's just in fibre glass. You won't find a 16 foot that will pack much more weight, a very old design with some rocker to it for navigating swift rivers. As said not the best on big open crossings with no keel and a curved bottom but they do it with some practice, put a load on and they track better. They're initial stability is a bit wobbly when lightly loaded but only lean so far like that and then settle in as they gain more buoyancy from the bulged sides. Throw half a ton in and they are very stable.

check out Clipper's site there's a ton of info on their various boats and intended uses gives you a good idea of what type of boat would suit your needs.

Arctic Lake
03-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks Fellas for the above posts !
I have been looking over the Clipper website and from what I have read I'm thinking either the Yukon or Cascade model . The canoe would be used in lakes and rivers but no serious white water.
What are your thoughts on these two models ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Big Lew
03-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the information Big Lew ! How stable was the Frontiersman flat stern for stability ? How was it for paddling when not using the outboard ?

What model of Clipper do you have ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

That was a great canoe many years ago and it was the best bang for the buck at the time. It was actually
very stable with or without a load. It was slow compared to my 15 1/2' clipper, but much better then
the coleman of today. Nowadays there are many light canoes because of the high tech materials available,
so they are far more suited to portaging then the old fiberglas models. My clipper is very light, but it's a bit
too small for nasty open water, especially when carrying a heavy load. I would advise you to go visit a canoe
outlet and ask for their advise in relation to what you wish to do with it, and where you plan to go.
Just be sure you do your homework so that you can use the correct terminology when you're describing things.
I didn't when buying my clipper, so when I said I needed a canoe that would track well in fast water, they thought
I meant it's ability to go in a straight line, not for lining up and down a river. The term 'tracking' is also used when
describing lining a canoe, but apparently not so much nowadays. There are keel-less canoes that will line reasonably
well, but my clipper isn't one of them.

Avalanche123
03-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Clipper Tripper is a reasonable choice for very easy whitewater and it works ok on a lake too. I would opt for a keel-less boat as it is easier to correct with a paddle stroke.

canishunter22-250
03-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Here's mine. Not sure of the brand - it was made 20 years before I was. I cleaned it up and did some mods and now I love using it for hunting. I put Teflon on the bottom and now it's pretty much invincible.

I find that where the canoe really shines over my Zodiac is when you are going up a river with spots that are too shallow for the motor. Here, you can just jump out and pull a canoe up through the riffle. In a zodiac or similar shaped boat, as soon as you come off step in the current the boat becomes a big kite and it's impossible to manoeuver it any distance.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/canishunter22-250/DSC_0010_zpsbjc6grlu.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/canishunter22-250/media/DSC_0010_zpsbjc6grlu.jpg.html)

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/canishunter22-250/DSC_0025_zpsffc8e2c6.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/canishunter22-250/media/DSC_0025_zpsffc8e2c6.jpg.html)

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/canishunter22-250/UpperHalfway2_zpssmhegfmt.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/canishunter22-250/media/UpperHalfway2_zpssmhegfmt.jpg.html)

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/canishunter22-250/DSC_0004_zpscppdnbh9.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/canishunter22-250/media/DSC_0004_zpscppdnbh9.jpg.html)

Arctic Lake
03-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Thanks again fellas for your replies and information !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
03-05-2016, 05:37 PM
CanisHunter
That's a heck of ship you have there !
Thanks for posting that up !
Sent you a P.M.
Arctic Lake

two-feet
03-05-2016, 06:05 PM
I love, and have had good success, moose hunting from a canoe. I have used clunky old fibre glass, kevlar, aluminum. All good for different scenarios. This year we got a moose from an inflatable canoe or "ducky" because it was a fly in trip. I am not a skilled canoeist but you dont need to be to creep around a lake or swamp. A river trip would require more skill and a better boat im sure. Have fun out there!

Avalanche123
03-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Well that's quite the set up CanisHunter. :)

klondikemike
03-05-2016, 06:59 PM
You think you have enough motor on that rig Canishunter?

klondikemike
03-05-2016, 07:00 PM
By the way love the pics.

canishunter22-250
03-05-2016, 07:16 PM
You think you have enough motor on that rig Canishunter?

You'd be surprised how many times I've had that thing opened right up in a pinch with a heavy load on.

Salty
03-05-2016, 07:29 PM
I have been looking over the Clipper website and from what I have read I'm thinking either the Yukon or Cascade model . The canoe would be used in lakes and rivers but no serious white water.
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Those two look like good middle of the road boats can take some bumpy river water but will track well on open water. The Yukon looks similar to a Propector with no or very little rocker so it will track better but they say still fairly maneuverable. The Cascade seems to be a real stable boat a bit of a tank maybe didn't look at weights. It looks like a great choice for tracking in wind and still OK for modest river canoeing.

The Tripper as said is another good boat my buddy has one its best purpose is traveling on lakes very efficient transport for two and gear in open water. Doable in the river without much drama.

BromBones
03-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Nice rig!

I've been kicking around getting a big aluminum square stern and mounting my 20hp Tohatsu on it. A guy can get into a lot of places with a setup like that.

Here's mine. Not sure of the brand - it was made 20 years before I was. I cleaned it up and did some mods and now I love using it for hunting. I put Teflon on the bottom and now it's pretty much invincible.

I find that where the canoe really shines over my Zodiac is when you are going up a river with spots that are too shallow for the motor. Here, you can just jump out and pull a canoe up through the riffle. In a zodiac or similar shaped boat, as soon as you come off step in the current the boat becomes a big kite and it's impossible to manoeuver it any distance.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/canishunter22-250/DSC_0010_zpsbjc6grlu.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/canishunter22-250/media/DSC_0010_zpsbjc6grlu.jpg.html)

Buck
03-05-2016, 08:30 PM
That has me thinking as well .That canoe must be huge that 20 does not look that big on there.I have a nice 25 yamaha 2 stroke that would work well on one of those.Could you elaborate a little more why the canoe works better than a zodiac for river travel? Got any more pics?

Brno22F
03-05-2016, 08:34 PM
check out the Esquif Cargo or their prospector or Miramichi models.
Cargo is 17 foot abs royalex with square stern for small motor.
Western canoe and kayak in Abbotsford is listed as a dealer.

canishunter22-250
03-05-2016, 08:54 PM
That has me thinking as well .That canoe must be huge that 20 does not look that big on there.I have a nice 25 yamaha 2 stroke that would work well on one of those.Could you elaborate a little more why the canoe works better than a zodiac for river travel? Got any more pics?

The canoe works better than the Zodiac in places where it's too shallow to use a motor, such as if the river has a hundred yard long riffle every once in a while. If you've ever tried pulling a heavily loaded Zodiac up a heavy current, you know it's a losing battle. But the canoe is just like a torpedo even when it's loaded right now and two guys can pull it up through the riffle.

If it's a bigger river without riffled sections, I prefer using my Zodiac just cause it's a more comfortable ride and zippier.

islander7mm
03-05-2016, 09:45 PM
I did a canoe trip with some buddy's a couple years back and I was riding with my friend in his Gruman Aluminum and it was quite the awesome craft. Super durable and very quick in the water. I think it was pretty stable aswell. I've always had my eyes open for a good deal on one to come along because it would be my canoe of choice.

Gateholio
03-05-2016, 10:16 PM
On this note, anyone know who repairs aluminum canoes? Mine has been all over....Bowron lakes, Yukon river, many lakes, etc etc. It's over 30 years old and has been beat to shit. :)

MOOSE MILK
03-05-2016, 11:31 PM
17' canvas covered cedar strip nice and quiet, branches and twigs don't squeal while sliding down the side like aluminum or glass, slides over rocks and logs with hardly any sound at all. Easy repairs while on a trip.

Big Lew
03-05-2016, 11:33 PM
One thing to keep in mind...if you have a shore to walk on, it's easiest to line a canoe if it'll
track properly when you adjust your ropes attached to both ends. Even a heavily loaded
large canoe like the one in the pictures will actually climb small rapids and ripples upstream
fairly easily, and you have the advantage of letting it go a long ways out into the river where
it's too deep and fast to walk (depending on the length of your ropes) to go around obstacles.

Drillbit
03-06-2016, 12:03 AM
One thing to keep in mind...if you have a shore to walk on, it's easiest to line a canoe if it'll
track properly when you adjust your ropes attached to both ends. Even a heavily loaded
large canoe like the one in the pictures will actually climb small rapids and ripples upstream
fairly easily, and you have the advantage of letting it go a long ways out into the river where
it's too deep and fast to walk (depending on the length of your ropes) to go around obstacles.

Alexander MacKenzie style Eh! Makes sense.

MRP
03-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Alexander MacKenzie style Eh! Makes sense.
If you read any of R.M. Patterson books. You'll learn most everything there is to know on wilderness traveling by canoe.

Cordillera
03-06-2016, 09:59 PM
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Those are going to be fine boats. However, if you think you will haul a moose, or maybe gear and a moose, they could feel small. The 17 footers make a big difference as all the extra length is in the middle. Either the tripper or (my recommendation) the prospector would also be great and would continue to be excellent if you grow your skills and want to take on some easy whitewater. The prospector design remains the best single "all round" boat (if there is such a thing).

if you want a boat for a lifetime, spend the extra on Kevlar. Any boat over 65 pounds gets hard to muscle over your head to get on a vehicle and portages will kill you. There are lots of great hunting holes where a short portage or bushwack gets you past the crowds. I found a used Kevlar hellman prospector a couple years ago for $1,000, so you never know if you look used you could get more boat for a great price.

Big Lew
03-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Those are going to be fine boats. However, if you think you will haul a moose, or maybe gear and a moose, they could feel small. The 17 footers make a big difference as all the extra length is in the middle. Either the tripper or (my recommendation) the prospector would also be great and would continue to be excellent if you grow your skills and want to take on some easy whitewater. The prospector design remains the best single "all round" boat (if there is such a thing).

if you want a boat for a lifetime, spend the extra on Kevlar. Any boat over 65 pounds gets hard to muscle over your head to get on a vehicle and portages will kill you. There are lots of great hunting holes where a short portage or bushwack gets you past the crowds. I found a used Kevlar hellman prospector a couple years ago for $1,000, so you never know if you look used you could get more boat for a great price.

Excellent advise....I looked for a long time without success for a used prospector, and buying a new one was out of my budget.
Except for lining, the small 15 1/2' clipper I have now works very well for my usage as I very seldom do rivers anymore
and it is light and fast.

Arctic Lake
03-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks Again Fellas ! Anymore of you guy's with ideas ? Would be great to see pictures of your hunting canoes
Thanks
Arctic Lake

bc sportsman
03-17-2016, 08:52 PM
I have used old town 19 foot canoe made of abs. 110 lbs...indestructable...1600 lbs plus in capacity. Very stable. Not a purists canoe but ideal workhorse.

wideopenthrottle
03-17-2016, 09:01 PM
We love our 20' Miramichi Canoe from Esquif
http://canoeacrosscanada.ca/
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/7000-km-across-canada-by-canoe-163380646.html

bc sportsman
03-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Old Town Tripper XL made of Royalex

mike31154
03-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Build your own. I never considered using mine for hunting, not for big game, perhaps waterfowl... pictures/photos....haven't figured out how to insert on this forum, seems messed up, so here's a link to G+ post in the Canoeing community.

https://plus.google.com/+MikeSiemens88/posts/87HWYQE9Cqw

Arctic Lake
04-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Update !

Thanks to all of you for your input ! Bought a used Clipper Tripper in great shape good price too !
Arctic Lake

Xenomorph
07-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Build your own. I never considered using mine for hunting, not for big game, perhaps waterfowl... pictures/photos....haven't figured out how to insert on this forum, seems messed up, so here's a link to G+ post in the Canoeing community.

https://plus.google.com/+MikeSiemens88/posts/87HWYQE9Cqw

That canoe looks awesome. Beautiful work.