PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits?

Phoneguy
05-30-2007, 08:39 PM
So I did a quick read in the forums but didn't see an answer to this so:

I understand that it is illegal for the average guy to shoot a firearm within city limits. What about sling shots? There are areas around the lower mainland, out of the way, where there are tons of rabbits. If a guy had a hunting licence (which I don't think you need for eastern cotton tails, they are sched C, pests, introduced), and a half decent aim......

I guess we would need to be somewhat discrete so as to not traumatize anyone who might be sensative.

Am I missing something here? Is it legal? Would it be ethical?

James

http://persweb.wabash.edu/facstaff/phillipj/eastern-cottontail1.jpg

GrizGuy92
05-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm pretty sure you can use a sling shot in city limits ;)

GG.

BearSniper
05-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Phone guy;

Yes you are right. Within City limits to hunt Eastern Cottontail Rabbits you can use sling shots, Bow, or Crossbow. No firearm.

Here in Abby, people use bows on them all the time:wink:

Good luck

ruger#1
05-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Can you use a blow gun on them.

rollingrock
05-30-2007, 09:15 PM
The only problem is these bunnies are too close to civilization.

Derp
05-30-2007, 09:15 PM
you are allowed to shoot them with a firearm if you shoot them on private farmers fields. Just ask for premission before doing this, (and look at what areas you can do this, Richmond is a no no and other areas aswell) Am I wrong? thats what I read in the special area booklet.

Will
05-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Why not an Air Rifle ???..under 500 fps it's not a firearm:wink:

Jagermeister
05-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Can you use a blow gun on them.Blowguns are prohibited weapons, so I guess their out of the question.

rock
05-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Any rabbits around my place become dinner specially if there in my wifes flower beds.

Phoneguy
05-30-2007, 09:48 PM
you are allowed to shoot them with a firearm if you shoot them on private farmers fields. Just ask for premission before doing this, (and look at what areas you can do this, Richmond is a no no and other areas aswell) Am I wrong? thats what I read in the special area booklet.

Special area booklet, what is it and where do you get it?

Mr. Dean
05-31-2007, 12:41 AM
You need MANY a Cottontail to feed a small family. They're scrawny and tiny.

Better off w/ Coon's :mrgreen:

BearSniper
05-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Phoneguy

The Fraser Valley special area licence map is a newspaper type publication like the LEH publication.

It mostly outlines where you can hunt for Geese and Ducks in the Fraser Valley using only bird shot, no single projectiles(bullets).
You can get them at any sports outlet (Hub Sports).:D

But to go after Rabbits with a slong shot, Bow, or high powered air rifle, you are ok. Suggest you be aware of private property boundaries. In a semi urban area, you might be best to use a Bow or sling shot so as not to attract too much attention.:???:

Good luck

hunter1947
05-31-2007, 03:38 AM
If you have a pellit gun under 500 feet per sec and the permission of the land owner you can then shoot the rabbits.

Chuck
05-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Or find someone with a "killer" pet Ferret.