PDA

View Full Version : Keeping bear meat fresh in 30C

o2fish2day
05-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Hello all,

I am going bear hunting with a friend of mine this Saturday and I am wondering if you all have recommendations for keeping the meat cool. I have a Suzuki so I can't exactly pile snow in the back of it without making a hell of a mess. Are there other ways to cool it down?

Marc
05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Get a rubbermaid tub, put some snow in it with your meat.( meat in bags so you don't get it full of water)

MichelD
05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
I fill up a cooler with frozen 2-litre pop or water bottles, skin and quarter the beast immediately, put the pieces in meat bags, pack the frozen water bottles around the meat and several in the rib cage and head 'er for home.

rollingrock
05-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Use double garbage bags, put your meat in the bags, run to the closest gas station to buy bags of ice, then throw the ice bags in your garbage bags.

270WIN
05-30-2007, 09:22 PM
in the past and if your near a lake or river we have quarted and the bear and took all the back loans out and all the other eatable meet put it in game bags the but the bags in a rubber tote and put them in the river just so the water is below the rim of the tote so no water got in it worked realy good

p.s build rocks around tote so it does not float away

Will
05-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Get the hide off Immediately. I've found it's the "FAT" that goes stinky 1st.......I try and bone it out ASAP ! Do a real good job and get all that stinky Lard off :wink:

The meat will keep fine if cooled off....some good suggestions above :-D

pupper
05-30-2007, 11:42 PM
I fill up a cooler with frozen 2-litre pop or water bottles, skin and quarter the beast immediately, put the pieces in meat bags, pack the frozen water bottles around the meat and several in the rib cage and head 'er for home.

what he said except I bone out the meat

hunter1947
05-31-2007, 03:49 AM
Debone the animal ,if you have 6 coolers take them with you fill 3 of them with ice and the other 3 without ice in them ,when the bear is beboned and in bags put them onto the coolers with the ice evened out among the 6 coolers.

yote
05-31-2007, 10:16 AM
They'd have to be six pack coolers to fit six of them in the Suzuki:-D:-D:-D

Mr. Dean
05-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm guessing that your hunting the Island... How far out from home are you?

If the bear has road access, I'd just skin and quarter him on the spot. Toss it all in the back of the Susuki with the windows down/removed, then motor on home and chuck him into a freezer.

I wouldn't bother deboning unless it needed to be packed out of the bush.

hunter1947
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
They'd have to be six pack coolers to fit six of them in the Suzuki:-D:-D:-D I can get one deboned elk in 6 comon coolers ,you will only get 250 pounds of meat off of an average elk after deboning it.

pupper
05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
I bought a huge Costo cooler, 165L capacity.

and in the fall I fit 2 elk calfs and a white tail deboned in it with Ice.

this spring we fit all 4 bears deboned in the cooler with room to spare.

frozen water (ice) in pop bottles works the best.