PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunt 723 area ?

leadpillproductions
03-02-2016, 08:29 PM
Going to head in mid april for a scouting trip for my grizzly hunt . Anyone hunted in there before , looks like ill be heading up the Anzac river crocker fsr rd really only looks the only real rd into my area.

MR7
03-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Mt girlfriend had the early season moose and grizzly draw for 7-23b last fall. We hunted in the area for about a week then bailed due to lack of moose sign but their was lots of wolf and grizzly sign around. Their are some decent cut blocks to check up the crocker on the right side as you can on google earth... Most of the grizzly sign at that time of the year was near the parsnip. If you go past crocker and keep going straight their's a good cut block just past the anzac river on your left hand side, the road is deactivated but if you have a quad you'll be fine... LOTS of grizz sign through there... PM me if you want a bit more info. Good luck!

604ksmith
03-02-2016, 10:42 PM
As MR7 said, there seems to be quite a few grizzly in the 7-23 or Parsnip area in general. I have yet to see one, but the sign is heavy. If you can bring any type of boat (canoe, jon, river) I bet you'd cover a lot more meaningful ground by floating the Parsnip. At least thats how a few moose hunters have told me they've run into grizzlies.

I would also say there isn't much traffic around that area due to roads being overgrown and de-activated so I would make sure you have a reliable vehicle/quad. Getting a passer-by to help may take awhile.

leadpillproductions
03-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Hows the black bear hunting in there, fun to always pick on them to

mooze
03-03-2016, 08:49 AM
although it has been warm this year there is still a lot of snow in the mountains. You may not be able to even get t the Parsnip before May. The road past Tacheeda lakes is often ok, if not washed out, but beyond you may not get far.

lip_ripper00
03-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Hows the black bear hunting in there, fun to always pick on them to

I has been a year or two since I was up, but on the Crocker fsr I counted 12 in the 18km streach. as said check road conditions, we used to go in May long weekend and some years it was difficult.

barry1974w
03-03-2016, 10:23 AM
There hasn't been a lot of snow in most areas this year, but you might want to have a snowmobile along if you're going up there in April. One year we couldn't get into wachita on May long because there was too much snow.
This year probably won't be an issue, but it wouldn't hurt to have a sled along. And I'd be pretty leery about floating the parsnip (or any river) during the spring melt. But in April you might be early enough to miss it.

moosinaround
03-03-2016, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure of the activity up the Crocker this year, but they have been prepping it for the LNG gas line, so it has been busy up there! There are some blocks in the back end that may be green enough after the long weekend in May, but if you are going to chase the slides, you better have the Snow shoes, hikers, and spike camp ready to go. Its a tough hunt out there, my good friend had that draw and hunted it hard, to not even see a grizz in its tracks. He took 2 nice blackies in there though! The next valley over, my son took a beauty 6-1/2 foot blackie 2 years ago. My other good friend seen a HUGE boar 5 yeras ago but never got a shot off, that was in 7-23D though! This is pretty country, the air up there is fresh, and it is worth a trip just to explore! Good hunting Leadpill!! Moosin

leadpillproductions
03-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Right thanks guys should be lots of fun .

Chiron
03-03-2016, 08:10 PM
As MR7 said, there seems to be quite a few grizzly in the 7-23 or Parsnip area in general. I have yet to see one, but the sign is heavy. If you can bring any type of boat (canoe, jon, river) I bet you'd cover a lot more meaningful ground by floating the Parsnip. At least thats how a few moose hunters have told me they've run into grizzlies.

I would also say there isn't much traffic around that area due to roads being overgrown and de-activated so I would make sure you have a reliable vehicle/quad. Getting a passer-by to help may take awhile.

We float the Parsnip and surprised a big griz on the water's edge - thank God he ran up the hill away from the river; we were close and he could have been on us in seconds. That year we saw 3 grizzlies.

Be careful on the Parsnip if you are in a boat; it can come up pretty quick and the channels can change year to year.

Schmaus
03-08-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty sure the Crocker is plowed this year. Access is going to be really good in the Anzac area this year because of heavy logging all winter. I haven't been in there yet but there should be lots of new cuts and the road are in decent shape

moosinaround
03-08-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the Crocker is plowed this year. Access is going to be really good in the Anzac area this year because of heavy logging all winter. I haven't been in there yet but there should be lots of new cuts and the road are in decent shape
Good Intel, gonna go check it out!! No grizz tag, but awesome spring black bear hunting!!!moosin

Boner
03-08-2016, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure of the activity up the Crocker this year, but they have been prepping it for the LNG gas line, so it has been busy up there!

We were up there and kept the road open until Mid December. Up to almost the 20 km.

leadpillproductions
03-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Right thanks cant wait tell snows gone

3006pg
03-08-2016, 11:39 PM
Shot me a hog blackie up there few years back with thedawg. Listen to moosinaround he knows his sh****t !!

JAGRMEISTER
03-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Wait until moose a calfing, they concentrate near water (rivers) grizz looks there.

leadpillproductions
03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Man I cant wait , this is killing me lol new gun on order just waiting