PDA

View Full Version : newbie to elk in B.C.

waserwolf
05-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't mean to pry or expect anybody to give up any secret spots but here is my request. I was born and raised in Vernon B.C., moved to Calgary 6yrs ago and have now returned, while I was in Calgary I was introduced to Elk huntin by a good friend of mine, we r both livin in B.C. now with our families and would love to hunt Elk again, we r bow hunters 1st but rifle hunters if we have to, any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

ape
05-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Were you is located.

waserwolf
05-29-2007, 10:46 PM
located in Vernon

ape
05-29-2007, 10:51 PM
I thought that may be but you you used to live there. I am not well versed on elk down that way but if it is anything like up here start scouting along local rivers as that is what they use as a corridoor up here. Welcome back to B.C. and good luck.

GoatGuy
05-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Elk are somewhat spotty and not too big of talkers in reg 8 but it certainly can be done. I can point you in the right direction if you want.

For opportunity you're best heading to the East Koots if you can get the time off. Look for a special map with a road closure and you'll be into elk. MUs 4-20 through 23 all have great elk populations. Big rivers with names like Elk, Bull, Findlay, St.Mary's all come to mind and all have plenty of elk and little pressure if you're willing to burn some shoe leather.

If you use Canal Flats as a hub and look in every direction around there for road closures you're into elk.

There's also plenty of guys that hunt the ag land - I don't know much about that.

There are also several bow opportunities in the EK for elk early in the season.

Good luck.

hunter1947
05-30-2007, 03:50 AM
Anywere around the goat river drainage is a good area for elk ,the goat drainage is outside of creston BC about 15lkm ,there is a little town called Kitchener you turn left there ,head back in lots of area to hunt back in there ,PS ,get a back roads map book and go from there.

Jelvis
05-30-2007, 12:46 PM
waserwolf; I personally don't hunt elk much altho hey who wouldn't want to in B.C.. My bro is an elk hunter out of Cranbrook BC. The Bull River area is good, Jaffray and Sparwood, also in from Elko is the Fabulous Flathead. Area 4:3, would be one of my personal picks good early season bugling according to my bro and relatives there, good luck Jelvis.

hunter1947
05-30-2007, 01:10 PM
waserwolf; I personally don't hunt elk much altho hey who wouldn't want to in B.C.. My bro is an elk hunter out of Cranbrook BC. The Bull River area is good, Jaffray and Sparwood, also in from Elko is the Fabulous Flathead. Area 4:3, would be one of my personal picks good early season bugling according to my bro and relatives there, good luck Jelvis.
There are no elk in 4-3 ,was there for years and never got a thing ,LOL.

Fisher-Dude
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
If you want to travel a bit further, don't overlook 7B. Chetwynd, Ft St John, Ft Nelson, the Prophet, Muskwa, Toad, Tuchodi, Buckinghorse, Sikanni Chief...all hold huge elk populations and there are miles and miles of untouched land to hunt. The bulls are less whistle-shy up there in my experience. And there are some GOS seasons that coincide with moose openings, which effectively doubles your chances of bagging a freezer full of meat (Reg 4 only has LEH moose).

If you decide to head that way, PM me and I can give you a few directions.

Jelvis
05-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Elk, If you go to 4;3 you can see good bulls too, go back a ridge and a half you'll see something that will perk you up a bit according to the local yokels, try a seven point they saw on Gold mtn. Don't tellum I told, eh' good hunting to ya

waserwolf
05-30-2007, 10:15 PM
thanks for all the replies, this is greatly appreciated, realizin what a huge tool the internet can be, looks like we will be planin a trip to the koots this year, can't wait, I am lookin forward to doin some backcountry huntin for elk , off the beaten path, why is it the fever gets worse every year.

model88
05-31-2007, 07:08 AM
nope no elk in 4-22 or 4-23, been lookin fer years aint seen hide nor hair of a durn stinkin elk:-D:-D

MichelD
05-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Don't forget to note exactly when you moved back to B.C. to fulfill your six-month residency requirement to get a B.C. licence.

30-06
05-31-2007, 01:24 PM
if i didnt live in 8 i would come here to hunt elk. reg 4 has good elk populations.read magazines on elk hunting .lots of info

Jelvis
05-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Region 4 is the optimum area for a destination hunt, lots of LEH and some world class scenery. Every kind of creature roaming around. A good place for a wolf to find some thing to eat.

hunter1947
06-01-2007, 03:34 AM
Good luck on which ever way you decide to go Waserwolf.

Jelvis
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
While on the subject of wapiti and such in the Reg 4 area 3, use a hootchie mamma hot cow call for elk, this call has the old time boys who used the tubes gaspin for air when they tried in 4:3. My bro in Cranbrook was mystified how it brought out the bulls a ridge or two back. The bulls were comin straight in steam comin out the nostrils. They were the ones that got the sight of a true royal elk bull. yes seven points on the side. So good luck when you hit the koots by Moyie Lake 4:3. Hootchie Momma

waserwolf
06-02-2007, 12:00 AM
lookin for a good place to hike in 1-2 miles, set up base camp and hunt from there, would also like to be in an area that is good for mulies

Rackmastr
06-02-2007, 09:28 AM
We hunted all the way from Cranbrook to Invermere for turkeys this year...and over to Jaffray....all that country in there was loaded with elk. I'm from Lethbridge and am REALLY considering transferring with my job and moving to BC after seeing the kind of wildlife we saw over there.

I'd actually REALLY kill to get out on a host license out in that country....

Jelvis
06-02-2007, 12:32 PM
If you want big buck mule deer go by Jaffray, Sands Creek and Little Sands Creek major big wide antlers, drive up the roads get out hunt down get a buudy to drive car down and he hunts up towards you then down to vehichle. Ref 4 area 22, according to lots of guys who been there. Jelly trust me.