PDA

View Full Version : Hammock hunting, opinions?

Alienation
02-28-2016, 08:39 PM
So I'm thinking of, well, rethinking my camp setup. I have been tossing the idea around of using a hammock instead of a tent, mainly to keep myself off the ground, and minimize weight in the pack. I'll mostly be camping in the trees so setup I don't see an issue with, and if I ever go sheep hunting well then of course I'd use a tent. Thoughts and opinions freely, I'm thick skinned and don't mind a bit of criticism!

Surrey Boy
02-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Not a terrible idea. It's dry from the bottom, use a tarp as a blanket, but it's cold like you wouldn't believe. I tried it and fell out several times as I apparently thrash in my sleep.

tuner
02-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Check out YouTube, there is a ton of stuff on hammock camping, there is one perticularly entertaining fellow from Minnesota whose YouTube channel is called "Shugemery", he hammocks in ridiculously cold weather, and has a ton of info on everything hammock tent related, if I'm not mistaken one of the better brand names is a local company called "Hennesy hammock tents", I think they are from one of the gulf islands.

huntcoop
02-28-2016, 09:14 PM
These 'bear burritos' have always intrigued me.

dracb
02-28-2016, 09:36 PM
MEC has some good hammocks. You are going to need one with a siltarp type material cover that hangs over a second support line tied above the hammock bed supports. The mosquito net will help hold some heat in the enclosed structure so it is worth the minor extra weight even after bug season. As Surrey Boy commented a hammock can be unbelievably cold. There is an accessory made that I purchased at Valhala Pure (I think) that is essentially a down sleeping bag that hangs under the hammock forming a warm air pocket. I did an elk hunt a couple of years ago where I had the down bag under the hammock and a down enhanced air mattress on top. You will of course sleep in a sleeping bag suitable for temperature conditions.

As for falling out, that is almost impossible when using a hammock correctly. Most inexperienced people try to sleep with the body positioned parallel to the support ropes for the hammock. This leaves you sleeping in an awkward semi-fetal position on your back. What you want is a hammock with a sheet wide enough for you to sleep flat and oriented catty cornered across the sheet. You will want the hammock to extend to the side beyond the top of your head and the bottom of your feet for maximum comfort and warmth. Native peoples in the tropics use very wide hammock called "matrimonials" where a couple sleeps flat and perpendicular (or nearly so) to the long axis of the hammock.

It is not for everyone, but for me camp goes up in minutes and packs almost as quickly. Better yet the hammock is much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. The added benefit in snake and scorpion country of keeping you out of their travel paths or from them using you for warmth.

gmachine19
02-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Not a terrible idea. It's dry from the bottom, use a tarp as a blanket, but it's cold like you wouldn't believe. I tried it and fell out several times as I apparently thrash in my sleep.

Fell a few time sleeping on a hammock too. Probably one of the scariest thing that has ever happened to me lol!

@Alienation Try sleeping on one before you do bring it up the mountains. If you can sleep on it comfortably and without falling, I say go for it.

Camp Cook
02-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Costco has the best/lightest hammocks I ever found in stock right now.

I have 3 of them I am even buying and giving them away as birthday presents etc.

tater
02-29-2016, 08:12 AM
There can be a pretty steep learning curve with hammocks, but they are a great tool when used correctly. I have run a Clark NA for probably ten years now, and have used it down to minus ten celcius. I like this rig because i can go to ground easily if i end up above treeline (basically use it like a bivy sack/tarp combo). It is a heavier hammock, but a true four season.

Hammocks are great but are only a better choice than a quality tent if you run a top quilt/bottom quilt (not a sleeping bag), find it a better quality of sleep, and you can gut out two or three days if weathered in (unless you use an oversize tarp or cary a spare 6'x6' tarp for an escape area).

As mentioned above, an underquilt is key, as is learning to tension the hammock properly. Look at double layer hammocks like Warbonnets that allow you to slide an insulated pad underneath. Stay away from Henneseys. Exped has now moved into the hammock market, but it is crazy spendy.

There is a great forum call hammockcamping where there is constant innovation and real world knowledge. More than anything get out there and practice set up and using it in as many scenarios as possible well before hunting season so you understand the strengths and weaknesses of the system.

pin_head
02-29-2016, 08:19 AM
What a painful reminder. I bought a Hennessy Hammock a year ago and still have never set it up once.

Thanks for bringing up the topic, I will put some tips to use......eventually.

Brad

Stormy
02-29-2016, 08:36 AM
Hammocks are awesome - we have 4 and use them at least 8-10 nights a year (probably more like 14 - 16 night a year)

rain - wind - snow - it doesn't really matter if you have a decent set up, small ground sheet below to stand on and to put your pack is a must as is an under quilt and a decent sleeping bag

http://hennessyhammock.com

https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/A4006.html

brian
02-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Hammocks are great but are only a better choice than a quality tent if you run a top quilt/bottom quilt (not a sleeping bag), find it a better quality of sleep, and you can gut out two or three days if weathered in (unless you use an oversize tarp or cary a spare 6'x6' tarp for an escape area).

This is very true. I have done some back country hammock camping. The weight savings disappear when you include the under quilt and over quilt. Its basically the same as any other light weight tarp tenting setup. You will loose a ton of heat without an under quilt or some form of insulation under you. Your sleeping bag will compress and loose all insulation value where your body lays on it, so any serious camping will rely on insulation that does not compress as you lay on it. Under quilt solves this problem by wrapping under the hammock and keeping you warm. I have used this combo with a light weight bag a fleece to be very comfortable down to zero degrees. The thing you have to get used to is being wrapped in nylon, once you get used to it, I find it way cozier than trying to get comfortable on tiny foam mats on uneven ground. The other pro is you can setup camp anywhere you find two trees far enough apart.

Alienation
02-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys, it's definitely something to think about. Seems like the cost savings kind of goes out the window when buying the hammock and then everything needed like under quilt etc...same goes for weight savings. I saw the warbonnet and the Hennessey, and was seriously considering the Hennessey simply because of everything that it included with the hammock. Is there a diy under quilt that any of you have made that is low cost light weight?

Stormy
02-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys, it's definitely something to think about. Seems like the cost savings kind of goes out the window when buying the hammock and then everything needed like under quilt etc...same goes for weight savings. I saw the warbonnet and the Hennessey, and was seriously considering the Hennessey simply because of everything that it included with the hammock. Is there a diy under quilt that any of you have made that is low cost light weight?

We did the poncho liner thing when we first started out, cheep but not light by any stretch.

pin_head
02-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Wondering if a thermarest inside would provide decent warmth, has anyone tried that setup or am I totally off base?

Brad

TreeStandMan
02-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Wondering if a thermarest inside would provide decent warmth, has anyone tried that setup or am I totally off base?
Brad

I'd be interested in the same.

I've spent many nights sleeping in a hammock in warm weather, but I've never tried it in the fall or winter because of the thermarest issue: when your sleeping bag compresses under you due to body weight, it doesn't insulate very well. This is mitigated by a thermarest, but I have no idea how you cram a thermarest into a hammock without falling out.

westcoastal
02-29-2016, 02:48 PM
I've been using a Hennessey for about 10 years of kayak and other camping. Been camped in below freezing conditions on the coast with 70 kt winds. Use an under insulation system, secure the hex rainfly to cover the sides and keep the breeze out. I stayed toasty warm the whole night.
IMO it is WAY better than sleeping on the ground and all you need are a couple trees, level ground is no longer required.

dracb
02-29-2016, 02:48 PM
I have spent literally hundreds of nights sleeping in a hammock in the tropics where a cool breeze against the underside of the hammock lets you sleep more comfortably. What I found when I first tried to use the hammock during most seasons in BC was that any flesh that touches the bare hammock material quickly becomes chilled leading to an uncomfortable sleep or no sleep. The thermarest idea seems to work if you can figure a way to stabilize its position on the hammock bed and if you can keep all of you on the mattress with no contacvt with the hammock. The hammock fabrics in the camping styles are slick and putting a semi slick thermarest (read air mattress) on top leads to it moving around. This movement makes getting on the hammock a bit of a challenge. When I tried it I thought that I would add some velcro tapes to both hammock and mattress to stop the sliding around. Before I got around to that one of my offspring borrowed the outfit for local over night hiking. She must have liked it since it hasn't found its way home ;<)

I went to Cost Co this morning to follow up on Camp cook's tip about their sale. In my opinion it falls short of what I would want for Fall or Spring camping, but it is an inexpensive light weight double wide hammock ($39) that could give you a budget friendly entry allowing you try out the concept and decide what is necessary to make you comfortable.

Amphibious
02-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Hennessy Hammock - love mine. level ground is often a pain to find, and with the snake-skins, setup and take down is seconds.

nedarb2
02-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Check out jungle hammocks too https://www.junglehammock.com/product/nx-170-jungle-hammock-camping-hammock/

finngun
02-29-2016, 08:35 PM
i hate sleeping in hammock mid .night when poo bear start swinging it around..that is gonna be on of the heck memories..:eek:

BCHoyt
02-29-2016, 08:44 PM
Hennesy Hammocks are your best bet!

Treed
02-29-2016, 09:01 PM
I use a high density foam sleeping pad in my Hennessy. I really have to try hanging something below, the foam or thermarest can be irritating. I love the hammock, only problem is I sleep too long. Way more comfortable than sleeping on a thermarest in a tent. It's great hearing the rain knowing there is no way I'm getting wet.

Wentrot
02-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Ahhh iv wanted one for a long time. Kind of talked my hunting partner in to buying one some how as well lol perhaps it's time, could make for a fun bear hunt.

nzhunter
02-29-2016, 10:07 PM
I tried out a Hennessy for a couple of trips. After swinging around on a blustery night, freezing, being kept awake by squeeking guide ropes and not being able to sleep on my side I sent it back. It was well constructed though and simple to pitch, snakes skins worked great as did the rain water collectors.

brian
02-29-2016, 10:34 PM

People do it, they also use foam pads and wool army blankets. I believe the biggest concerns I have read about is keeping the setup dry (as they tend to trap moisture from your body and condensation) and keeping them in place. Where as a properly setup under quilt leaves all that lofted insulation under you no matter how you move and doesn't trap moisture.

Alienation
03-01-2016, 12:07 AM
This is turning out to be a much more informative thread than most others I've found online. Lots of innovative tips and I think I'm going to make the leap and buy a Hennessey. I looked around and although there are lots out there, I just believe that for the price it's really a good move. Of course I'll be getting the bigger rain fly for it, since the reviews I've seen say the standard one just covers the hammock. Keep the info coming though! I'll hopefully have my setup ready for spring bear.

scotty30-06
03-01-2016, 12:40 AM
Ever since I heard a friend's story of waking up being rocked back and forth by a bear sniffing under the hammock....I gotta say I will pass....but it's a great idea for the cabin....never even thought to throw up a hammock

Alienation
03-01-2016, 06:50 AM
I hear ya Scotty, but I've also heard of a lot of people also waking up to a bear sniffing around and poking their tent. The way I see it, no matter what route you go, a curious bear is going to check it out either way, and an even more curious bear is going to break in no matter what you're sleeping in, a shotgun or rifle would be a good companion to have no matter the situation

Wentrot
03-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Do you guys just keep your gear (pack, rifle ect) Below you on the ground? In nasty weather is the hammock and rain cover large enough to keep stuff dry?

Amphibious
03-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Do you guys just keep your gear (pack, rifle ect) Below you on the ground? In nasty weather is the hammock and rain cover large enough to keep stuff dry?

i always pack a couple of those heavy duty stretchy glad garbage bags. They weigh nothing, and keep your gear dry. Once the meat is cooled, i use them as liners tokeep my pack from getting bloody, just make sure you remove themat the end of the day and let the meat air.

Wentrot
03-01-2016, 10:17 AM
i always pack a couple of those heavy duty stretchy glad garbage bags. They weigh nothing, and keep your gear dry. Once the meat is cooled, i use them as liners tokeep my pack from getting bloody, just make sure you remove themat the end of the day and let the meat air.

That's a good idea, thanks.

shottyshooter
03-01-2016, 12:19 PM
I have a Hennessey and it's really comfortable and quick to set up even for a midday nap! I ordered mine direct when they were giving a free kids(120lbs?) hammock with your order and I upgraded to the hex fly which - when you do this - they have historically tossed in the complete hammock kit and then added the hex in its own package so you get the first tarp for free too.

i haven't got an under quilt yet so I've only been a fair weather hammocker so far. I've tried setting it up as a tent with poles or sticks with success. It's a great emergency bivy to keep in your pack

tuner
03-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Get a sleeping bag that has a foot box that can be open, slide it over the hammock and you're fully insulated, use a lighter sleeping bag to actually sleep in.

brian
03-01-2016, 01:43 PM

If you have a big enough tarp overhead then you can pretty much make stake it into something like a tent, lean-to, or whatever will keep the weather off of you. There are some really ingenious setups out there. Then you can either hang your pack or simply put it under you. I have a small tarp that fits into my first aid kit that I can throw down first. I just put mine under me unless the ground cover doesn't work well or if the drainage looks bad.

Stormy
03-01-2016, 03:05 PM

just order the Typhoon or Monsoon rain fly from Hennessey, and you aren't going to get wet or wind blown!

Alienation
03-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Looked up the sizing on the flies for Hennessey, and it seems like the square fly (can't remember the name) is the biggest one they have, plenty of room for camp. The typhoon was bigger than the stock fly, and adds some nice protection, but just not big enough for camp in my opinion. Thanks for all the input guys, it's been a great learning experience for me, hopefully they have some hammocks at the tradex show this weekend that I can try out.

Flingin' Sticks
03-07-2016, 12:02 PM

Brad

I've got a Hennessy Hammock, and this is the exact set-up I use. You will wind up sliding around a bit, and getting in and out of the hammock becomes a bit of an experience in and of itself, but I do find it warm enough. The nice thing about this set-up is it maintains the weight-savings gained by going to the hammock in the first place - it's just using the same pieces you'd use in a tent anyways.

Another option to consider (for use in warmer weather) is to go to Canadian Tire and buy one of those inexpensive tarps with a heat-reflective sheet stitched into one side. I've had really good luck putting this under a sleeping bag and wrapping it around as much as possible. Saves weight when compared to a thermarest pad and is a bit easier to maneuver around.

shottyshooter
03-08-2016, 03:04 PM
I found a 60"x70", 700 fill power down quilt at Costco today for $30! It's a "Double Black Diamond" brand which I've never heard of but quality seems fairly good at a glance. I'm sure it'll make a decent under quilt for my hammock. Packs down to a Nalgene size. No idea the weight for you ounce counters though.

Ive also seen the thin emergency blankets used between the under quilt and your hammock/body which will add the radiant heat factor...

ursusbait
03-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Anybody have pictures from real use to help explain this under quilt idea? Thanks

dracb
03-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Think of a quilt attached by its edges to the edges of the hammock bed and hanging below it to make a dead air space.

TyTy
03-12-2016, 01:11 PM
1. Need a sleeping pad!
2. Hang hammock too high.... hard to get down for a piss in the middle of the night (but possible and slightly dangerous to wizz out of hammock.
3. Three (3) nights is enough in a hammock. Cant sleep sideways, or move around much. Body is stiff in the mornings
4. Hammock route is good in rain, not so much in wind.
5. Not many trees in the alpine, so sub alpine is max elev for a hammock