PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on packs

ColtonMoore
02-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Have an old worn out badlands pack thinking I'm going to replace it this year does anyone have a pack they would reccomend? Looking into the badlands ox frame pack at the moment maybe someone here has a better pack?

swampthing
02-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Lots of good packs on the market. I have eyeballed the ox in the past. It looks good. I run two packs these days. I love my eberlestock dragonfly. Use it both as a daypack and weeklong hunt mountain pack. Love the rifle scabbard. Quick and easy pack to use with its expandable features. I would rather take a deer apart and put it in this pack than drag one. Its not the most comfortable with 100lb in it though. I recently acquired a kuiu icon pro 5200. You need to be a nasa engineer to figure out all the features on this thing! Its not as user friendly as the eberlestock. Its a bit harder to throw an animal in as your meat pocket is shared with your gear pocket unless you deploy the load sling. I don't care for this load sling as you cant just dump meat into it. I tried to install an eberlestock scabbard into this pack but it didn't work very well. But, this kuiu is pack is super comfy with weight. I haul about 40lbs on dayhunts and you hardly notice the pack is on. Put 100lb in it and you can still stand upright! A friend rolls with a fairly cheap totonka pack and it is a decent pack for about $250.

ColtonMoore
02-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Ok awesome thank you for the info! All opinions and experience makes the difference

todbartell
02-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Mystery Ranch

Rayne
02-28-2016, 12:15 PM
I'm also curious about this as I'm looking to start high country hunting for mule deer on over night trips. Not looking to spend a fortune either

Wentrot
02-28-2016, 12:16 PM
I may get pooped on for being outside the box but I use this- it's amazing.

http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/extreme/commander-x-pack

Weatherby Fan
02-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Mystery Ranch

I'll second what todbarttel says, I've had several packs and the MR is the most comfortable pack I've ever worn, like swampthing says I use my MR mostly as a daypack with about 35lbs in it, the one thing I noticed most about the MR was at the end of the day and you take the pack off you don't feel like you were wearing a pack all day long, very comfortable.

ColtonMoore
02-28-2016, 12:19 PM
So a mystery ranch sounds like a pack to look into thanks!

khoffnbud
02-28-2016, 12:27 PM
i'm going to second swamp thing on the kuiu pack, my 7200 has been great

ColtonMoore
02-28-2016, 12:36 PM
So far I have been looking at the kuiu pack or badlands ox pack or the badlands summit.... Opinion on those three anyone ?

Weatherby Fan
02-28-2016, 12:37 PM
So a mystery ranch sounds like a pack to look into thanks!

Lots of great packs around Colton, MR, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Eberlestock, check out as many as you can and see what works for you best.

Rackmastr
02-28-2016, 12:39 PM
SO many variables that cant be answered by just that 2 line question, but here are a few reputable ones I'd look at.

Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glaciar, Exo Mountain gear, Arcteryx, etc.

khoffnbud
02-28-2016, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't even consider the ox if I was you, I had one and packed a goat out with it but it left lots to be desired.

71_camaro
02-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Heavy loads.80+ MR for sure!for sheep i use kuiu icon pro 7200 it is awesome overall.great packbut after two days of hiking out a ram it got old.but im taking it this year again over the mr.lots of pockets. used to have a kuiu ultralight.this would be the best for deer and smaller trips.but not good enough for sheep elk or moose.best cheap pack is tatonka but not in the same league.
just my 2cents

Hunt247
02-28-2016, 01:33 PM
I have the stone glacier sky 5100. It is a great pack, I've used it to pack out a sheep on one hunt and 1/3 of a boned out bull elk (3 of us on the hunt) on another. I really like how they turn into bivy mode and they shrink into a smaller day pack this option works great. I also purchased the weapon sling which comes in handy. If your looking for a larger pack I think a MR is the way to go.

Rob
02-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Kifaru Timberline with duplex frame is what Im using and really like it. 7800ci bag.

604redneck
02-28-2016, 02:33 PM
I use an osprey pack and a badlands 2800 both comftorable

lwing
02-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Kuiu with kifaru gun bearer. Have used scabbard packs, liked them, much prefer the kifaru gun bearer

Brambles
02-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Financially your best bet right now with the crappy exchange is a Mystery Ranch from Grouse River, they have good pricing of the MR Marshall and its in Canadian dollars. All the others Stone Glacier, Kifaru, SO, will be close to $1000 depending on options after exchange. Kuiu icon pro looks good price wise but it's made in China so subject to import duties than offset the lower retail price.

big difference is gonna be the pack weight, but along with that comes some proven durability.

smallfry14
02-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Depends on your budget. I've had a cheaper Tatonka pack for a couple years, cost me around $200-250. It's a pretty damn solid pack for the price, I've had some heavy loads in it and it's been sturdy. I plan on upgrading in the next year or 2 and with the dollar the way it is I'd be looking at Mystery Ranch packs that Grouse River are bringing in.
Edit: Forgot to add I've seen the Kuiu 7200 in action. Like mentioned earlier this thing has a ton of features, straps and buckles are everywhere. The owner said he was gonna give his away. Depends what you want I guess

BgBlkDg
02-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Try to find a used Mystery Ranch NICE rig in your size, I have carried both and prefer the original Bozeman-made MRs. I have used many packs, Dana Gleason's since 1978 and they are the best I have ever had.

ONE exception is the Paradox Divide I bought last summer and Seek Outside, the makers, offer customer service that is superb, only MR when Andrew Crow, as sales manager was as good.

So, if going "new", the Paradox Revolution 7300 is one I would very strongly consider and the MR NICE-Marshall, would be the other. MR is introducing a new, lighter, taller NICE frame this spring, well worth a look.

But, there are often very decent deals here on lightly used packs and I have sold three here and others also offer excellent choices, could save a few $$$$ anywy.

Buck
02-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Good deals to be had on used MR packs everyone is crazy for ultralight packs these days and are selling them off at a steal.

khoffnbud
02-28-2016, 04:29 PM
I believe the MR pack are now made overseas along with the rest, and while great packs, id hardly call them ultralights.

Lastcar
02-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Pretty much all has been said. A huge part of this is what fits you well. Like many things whats good for me won't be good for you. But here my list based on what I've used.

Arc Teryx Bora is a fantastic pack. Got my first in 96. Just sold that one 3 years ago. Had others over the years always was happy. Just not a practical pack if you need to haul meat and gear. But guys make it work. But since you are after a hunting pack this is moot.

Mystery Ranch. I had a Longbow on the Nice frame. Managed to find one of ones made in Optifade. Being a Sitka guy and OCD that soothed me. For normal people, who cares. Although I never got it up much over 50lbs hand down was my favourite I have owned so far.

I wish I had filled the bag and put a bag of salt in the load shelf. But aI never got over the weight of the pack. Just over 8lbs empty. And that was the smaller Longbow bag.

Still regret selling it, but it'd be sitting on the shelf anyways...if I am going to hoard it is going to be guns and ammo. Which I do. And should get help for.

Kuiu Icon - could just never get it fit properly. Or it sucked. But enough guys manage to make them work that I assume it was me. Hip belt was excruciating. It seemed it may have had a defect. Sent them pics and they sent me another belt on their dime marked replacement for warranty. So no duty nothing out of pocket, didn't want the other back. Turns out it not a defect. It was hips that were defective. Well at least relative to that pack.

One thing that I will say for both of those packs is I am not into all the internal zip pockets and what not. I use pullouts, I know where my crap is in them. I don't need to be opening my bag to find the 2 cubic inch zip pocket with some odds and end in it. I grab the pull out with all the daily odds and ends grab what I need and shove it back in. But that could be just me. I love pullouts. I use the Kifaru ones, but a few other outdoor companies offer them up as well. Just not as light.

I am using a Stone Glacier now. Light weight, like the bag and even more now that I am getting sucked into the bow hunting. I have the Sky Archer which allows you strap the bow to the back of the pack and still access the bag from the top or large sidezip. I still need to work on fit and the hip belt portion as it is a touch uncomfortable with really heavy loads. Nothing to really fuss about. But worth trying to remedy with some trial and error. All in all very happy with it.

My next pack and maybe sooner than later will be a Kifaru. SR80 let me try his on and that hip belt...

It was like getting a blowjob from a vagina. Felt so good.

Can't speak to using one day to day but sure seems like a pretty large happy customer base. Pricey as all hell though.

Have seen the Alps Commander and sure looks to be great value and well reviewed for a pack in that price range. I suggested to a guy who wasn't sure about the pack vs quad thing. Figured he could start there, cheap enough if he hated it then no huge loss. If he loved more boots on than ground than miles on the quad then he a good pack to use until he saved his nickels for one of the premier brands.

By no means do I have days and days in the field with these packs under heavy loads. So lean on some of the other guys to longer term opinons. But my 2 cents...

btridge
02-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Eberlestock J34, love it, distrbutes weight very well and
I can wear it for days on end, it places the weight on your core instead of out on your shoulders.

RackStar
02-28-2016, 04:50 PM
I like external frames. I dont like buying middle of the line stuff cause I will always want the best one. So until I'm ready to buy a Barney I got a sweet deal on a camp trails moose bag. Even if I only get a year or two use i won't bat a eye when I retire it.

Tīɡ
02-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Kifaru makes an excellent product!

Pinewood
02-28-2016, 05:22 PM
https://exomountaingear.com/

I have the 5500, it is a great pack. Check out the classified ads on the rokslide forum. Guys down south seem to have a lot of $$$ and buy and then sell close to new gear really cheaply.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?88-Rokslide-Classifieds

ColtonMoore
02-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the reply I have been really looking at the kuiu icon pro just wasn't positive what size to get figure it's best to use the 7200

ColtonMoore
02-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for all this info it's a heat help! sounds like I gotta try a couple more packs on and see what fits best

RiverOtter
02-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Lotsa suggestions, but have not noticed mention of what the intended use for a new pack is.

jack88
02-29-2016, 01:35 AM
Alpz-My sheep hunting partner uses one and after 2 years it's pretty much come unglued(the bag). Frame seems to be good and solid but the stitching on the bag is just like paper towel. Luckily he had a sew kit the first year to do some repairs on the mountain.

Kuiu Icon Pro-I had the 7200 and like was said earlier, I had major issues with the hip belt. Good function on the bag and the layout of it but at the end of the day you could strap an onion sack to a bad suspension and the only thing you will complain about is the suspension and frame.

Onto the MR Marshall.....

SR80
02-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Ive got a kifaru duplex frame coming up for sale soon..

Stresd
02-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Lots of enjoyable miles put on my Kuiu Icon 7200 over the last 3 years with no problems. For me it has been an Excellent pack. Only complaint would be the crappy zipper pull tags, but when they broke were easy to replace. Unlike the previous poster the Hip belt has performed extremely well and is very comfortable.

Wentrot
02-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Alpz-My sheep hunting partner uses one and after 2 years it's pretty much come unglued(the bag). Frame seems to be good and solid but the stitching on the bag is just like paper towel. Luckily he had a sew kit the first year to do some repairs on the mountain.

Kuiu Icon Pro-I had the 7200 and like was said earlier, I had major issues with the hip belt. Good function on the bag and the layout of it but at the end of the day you could strap an onion sack to a bad suspension and the only thing you will complain about is the suspension and frame.

Onto the MR Marshall.....

Read the same thing about the original bags. The new "extreme" models are totally redesigned.

combine pilot
02-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Go to the web site outdoorsman.com. they make there own packs. Tried on 8 different packs at the sportsman show in Vegas a few years ago. Eberlestock, MR, Stone Glazier, Tenzing can not remember the rest but this outdoorsman pack was the most comfortable. I have the 4800 cu.in. one with the 2000 cu.in pod that goes with it. They now make a 6000 cu.in. one that I would get.

eric
02-29-2016, 02:28 PM
Hey Combine, was just on their site ,looking at the packs, how many miles have you put on yours ?
Frikken canuck buck is killing me right now...

RadHimself
02-29-2016, 03:43 PM
i also have a Eberlestock J34 and love it to death

Stone C. Killer
02-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Barneys does the trick for me..

Rob
02-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Ive got a kifaru duplex frame coming up for sale soon..

lol, what are you getting now?

Lastcar
02-29-2016, 07:35 PM

What isn't he getting now. This is how I gave my MR NICE frame setup to get the Stone Glacier cause he said it was amazing...2 weeks later he gets a Kifaru and tries to talk me into buying one of those...as he sells his SG. He was kind enough to give me some of the accessories though.

The real crux of the problem is we are gear whores. Ironically we met purging gear we bought and didn't want.

I am learning now...wait 60 days and see if he still likes it.

I asked him last night...do you have a such and such by so and so brand? He replies "yes, want to buy it?". Well no...cause obviously you don't like it.

It is fun though...since we both enjoy buying gear to excess it is good to have an accomplice.

Sounds like UseYourFeet is cut from the same cloth. I now watch for his postings in the classifieds like a hawk!

SR80
03-01-2016, 07:49 AM
What isn't he getting now. This is how I gave my MR NICE frame setup to get the Stone Glacier cause he said it was amazing...2 weeks later he gets a Kifaru and tries to talk me into buying one of those...as he sells his SG. He was kind enough to give me some of the accessories though.

The real crux of the problem is we are gear whores. Ironically we met purging gear we bought and didn't want.

I am learning now...wait 60 days and see if he still likes it.

I asked him last night...do you have a such and such by so and so brand? He replies "yes, want to buy it?". Well no...cause obviously you don't like it.

It is fun though...since we both enjoy buying gear to excess it is good to have an accomplice.

Sounds like UseYourFeet is cut from the same cloth. I now watch for his postings in the classifieds like a hawk!

Buy the knife..I tested it this fall to make sure it works.

SR80
03-01-2016, 07:50 AM

You sound like my wife!! Im sticking with kifaru :smile:

combine pilot
03-01-2016, 09:12 AM
I have used mine the last 2 years. Packed out 2 caribou 2 years ago. Worked awesome. I have also used it this past year on a 2 week fly-in and probably 30 more days sheep hunting off the highway. Much to the wife's dismay I use this pack 35-45 days per year and it goes with me every day. Lol

2tins
03-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Mystery Ranch, 6500.

BugRock
03-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Tasmanian Tiger - affordable and well built, fits nice (adjustable). Bought mine at Grouse River in Kelowna.

luger
03-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Gregory Denali 100L. Super tough and heavy duty and life time warrenty. I got it a mec for $ 400. I did a pack in 9 day elk trip and the pack worked great.

RiverOtter
03-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Gregory Denali for me as well. Stable with 65# plus loads and distributes the weight well to my body.

Downside would be weight, it's around 7#'s, and it could have an extra pocket or two for hunting.

SG Sky 7400 is the only pack I'd consider replacing it with currently, due to weight, feedback from guys I know and trust, and the well thought out pockets and design in general.

Carbonmatrix
03-01-2016, 07:31 PM
This year I bought a Kifaru EMR ii and stone glacier sky 7400. I love both packs. Here is a quick review on different things I found.

Comfort: SG (kifaru is comfortable also but the sg just fits me perfectly)
compartments: Kifaru ( sg is pretty much a duffle with a nice centre zip, emr ii has nice pockets for organizing)

Weight: sg ( although both are nice and light , sg is just super light so great option as day pack)
Appearance: tie

Features: tie (yes emr ii has more pockets etc but the sg meat shelf is a nice add on)

Price: tie (both are pricey as hell but worth every penny)

anyways hope this helps, will post pics later on. Both packs are amazing and can't wait to load them up and test them out. I did put in about 80 lbs in the emr ii and it was very comfortable.

Carbon

SR80
03-02-2016, 07:42 AM
This year I bought a Kifaru EMR ii and stone glacier sky 7400. I love both packs. Here is a quick review on different things I found.

Comfort: SG (kifaru is comfortable also but the sg just fits me perfectly)
compartments: Kifaru ( sg is pretty much a duffle with a nice centre zip, emr ii has nice pockets for organizing)

Weight: sg ( although both are nice and light , sg is just super light so great option as day pack)
Appearance: tie

Features: tie (yes emr ii has more pockets etc but the sg meat shelf is a nice add on)

Price: tie (both are pricey as hell but worth every penny)

anyways hope this helps, will post pics later on. Both packs are amazing and can't wait to load them up and test them out. I did put in about 80 lbs in the emr ii and it was very comfortable.

Carbon
Do you have the new duplex frame?

OutWest
03-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Have tried a lot of packs over the years now. Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, Wildnerness Wanderer, Gregory, various pack frames, tried out my partners Kuiu (weak!!!) - started with a Trapper Nelson.

Far and away the most comfortable and functional pack I have used is without a doubt the Tatonka Lastenkraxe. This pack is head and shoulders above anything I've used. Not only that but the price of a new unit is considerably less than many of the above mentioned packs in this thread.

One of my partners has a MR and is looking at getting rid of it. Tried out another partners Kuiu and I absolutely hated it. He broke the frame last year packing out an elk.

Carbonmatrix
03-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Do you have the new duplex frame?

yes

here is a side by side pic of the two packs, the emr ii is empty but the sky 7400 is semi packed for an overnighter.

nicktrehearne
03-02-2016, 12:20 PM
I have the EXO mountain gear 5500 and love it. It can compress small enough to be used as a day bag, or go big enough for a 14 day backpack hunt. It's a lot lighter than the MR packs, and was very comfortable hauling out meat last year (deer, bears, and elk). It's pricey, especially with the dollar the way it is, but you get what you pay for...

doubled
03-02-2016, 02:37 PM
Outwest, that is what I have too and love it. Three other friends have them too.

Tuffcity
03-02-2016, 03:07 PM
This is a Tasmanian Tiger with a touch over 150 lbs in it. Complete goat hide, most of the meat and about half of the camp. They are a bit on the heavy side to start with but bullet proof and comfortable if you take the time to fit it properly (well, as comfortable as that kind of weight lets you be). Tried on a SG in Reno this year and that will be the next pack when the dollar evens out a bit!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Goat%20hunt%202013/Rloadedup-s_zps27b6e681.jpg

RC

Sitkaspruce
03-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Have tried a lot of packs over the years now. Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, Wildnerness Wanderer, Gregory, various pack frames, tried out my partners Kuiu (weak!!!) - started with a Trapper Nelson.

Far and away the most comfortable and functional pack I have used is without a doubt the Tatonka Lastenkraxe. This pack is head and shoulders above anything I've used. Not only that but the price of a new unit is considerably less than many of the above mentioned packs in this thread.

One of my partners has a MR and is looking at getting rid of it. Tried out another partners Kuiu and I absolutely hated it. He broke the frame last year packing out an elk.

Ditto, although all I have packed with it is meat and 60-70 lbs bags of grain, salt and hay bails. Have not done any overnighters with it yet, but it is a very nice pack that fits me well.

Have not used any other packs other than my Blacks Creek Canadian for overnighters and day hunts and my Old Camptrails for sheep and goat hunts, so no experience with the new packs.

Cheers

SS

CHEAM
03-02-2016, 07:57 PM
I also have the Tatonka Lastenkraxe and really like.I have two styles of bags that go with it. One is just a large tube and the other is broken up into a few compartments similar to a standard pack bag. I have used it on two week mountain trips and have no interest in replacing it.

RiverOtter
03-02-2016, 08:18 PM
I also have the Tatonka Lastenkraxe and really like.I have two styles of bags that go with it. One is just a large tube and the other is broken up into a few compartments similar to a standard pack bag. I have used it on two week mountain trips and have no interest in replacing it.
Curious, what bag are you using to get 2 weeks worth of gear inside. The bag that comes with it, if you buy it as a package, would struggle to do a long weekend. Unless you're into the Christmas tree pack, where you strap everything to the outside.

Don't get me wrong, the Tatonka is one heck of a pack frame, especially for the jingle, but the bag it comes with is a glorified day pack....

hookedonblacktails
03-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Curious, what bag are you using to get 2 weeks worth of gear inside. The bag that comes with it, if you buy it as a package, would struggle to do a longer weekend. Unless you're into the Christmas tree pack, where you strap everything to the outside.

Don't get me wrong, the Tatonka is one heck of a pack frame, especially for the jingle, but the bag it comes with is a glorified day pack....

I believe they currently have 2 different bag styles and yes one is a bit small. I bought mine over 10 years ago and the bag it came with isn't too small, maybe 90 L. Just a heads up for anyone looking to get one of these apparently the price is about to go up big time, changing distributors or something like that, so nows a good time.

Ryo
03-03-2016, 10:22 AM
MEC is clearing out a lot of packs right now, including the Brio 75 for $135, in a pretty neutral colour. I've got an older one and would recommend it. It can fit a quartered deer, including cape and head, in one load (~100 lbs.) - and in relative comfort. It's not a hunting specific pack, but the rifle fits in the side pocket, and it can carry a whole deer - so specific enough for me. It's not as comfortable as my Osprey, but the Osprey has to be babied like a newborn with all its mesh and exposed frame parts. The price of my Osprey was not justifiable in my opinion. I'd do a hands-on comparison between a backpackers pack and a hunting pack, see if the price difference is justifiable for you.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-701/mec-brio-75-backpack-mens/?h=10+52299+50131+50042+50805+50597&f=10+50131+50805

ryanb
03-03-2016, 10:52 AM
I have a Kifaru timberline. Had it for 5 years now. Must have been made on a Friday afternoon cause I had a lot of stitching coming undone after my first hunt. I sent it back and they fixed it up no chafge and has been great since. I have packed out several animals with it and it's quite comfortable with a heavy load. The substantial lumbar pad and hip belt really works for my body shape, but it may not be for everyone...

I bought it when the dollar was over par, buying it now would be pretty painful but probably still worth it.

ryanb
03-03-2016, 10:58 AM
MEC is clearing out a lot of packs right now, including the Brio 75 for $135, in a pretty neutral colour. I've got an older one and would recommend it. It can fit a quartered deer, including cape and head, in one load (~100 lbs.) - and in relative comfort. It's not a hunting specific pack, but the rifle fits in the side pocket, and it can carry a whole deer - so specific enough for me. It's not as comfortable as my Osprey, but the Osprey has to be babied like a newborn with all its mesh and exposed frame parts. The price of my Osprey was not justifiable in my opinion. I'd do a hands-on comparison between a backpackers pack and a hunting pack, see if the price difference is justifiable for you.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-701/mec-brio-75-backpack-mens/?h=10+52299+50131+50042+50805+50597&f=10+50131+50805
This is the pack I started out with. Packed a caribou and sheep out with it. It SUCKS for heavy loads, but it's what I could afford at the time. If you can afford it buy a hunting pack with 100+ litre capacity.

Ryo
03-03-2016, 11:20 AM
This is the pack I started out with. Packed a caribou and sheep out with it. It SUCKS for heavy loads, but it's what I could afford at the time. If you can afford it buy a hunting pack with 100+ litre capacity.

Great to know, from someone who has used both.

CHEAM
03-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Curious, what bag are you using to get 2 weeks worth of gear inside. The bag that comes with it, if you buy it as a package, would struggle to do a long weekend. Unless you're into the Christmas tree pack, where you strap everything to the outside.

I think both bags are 70L and I can fit 12 day of gear in both. The only thing on the outside is my rifle. Most of the room is taken up by food and I have no problem getting rid of that. No Christmas tree here.

RiverOtter
03-05-2016, 07:02 AM
Agreed on food volume shrinking, but the fact remains, it still has to fit initially for the pack in....

I'd like to see a rough gear list for your 12 day hunt, if you don't mind. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain gear, stove/fuel, clothes and first-aid, game bag(s), spotter and tripod and food.

I run a 100 liter Gregory internal and it takes some planning to fit a 14 day puzzle together inside, and the tent still goes on the outside. Ony difference between 12 & 14 is a couple more MH, oatmeal and Clif bars.....

Stresd
03-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Al this litre stuff was confusing for me. Sorry I'm old school. Had to convert to cubic inchs to make any comparision. A 70 litre pack is less than 4300 cu in. I had a badlands 4500 in the past and it was good for about a week size ways for a packin hunt. 100 litres is still only 6100 cu in. I think I pack fairly light and it would be real tough sleddin for me to get all my gear and food in a 100 litre for my regular 14 dayer. My Kuiu 7200 or Eberlestock J107 with spike at 7900 cu in work well for me on the longer trips as they still have room for your game on the way out.

Avalanche123
03-05-2016, 10:19 AM
"More" isn't always better as we tend to want to fill it IMO. I can do a 10 day hunt with a 70l pack if I have a hunting partner where we can split some of the items we take. Having a light weight tent and compressible sleeping for the mtns is key. Having said that, there isn't much you can do about your spotting scope, tripod, and binos as they simply take up room. There is an "art" to packing light. Most people simply bring too much.

RiverOtter
03-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Stresd:

Exactly..... I compress the shite outta my clothing and 2 lb down sleeping bag and 6100 cubes(100 liters) still gets eaten up fast. Total weight is ~65 lbs/14 days, which is about par with what others are packing.

Reason I'm quite curious about the 70 liter Tatonka is, I tried in earnest to help my hunting parter load his up, as it fit him better than his 90 liter internal. There was NO way it was happening, short of nixing a sleeping bag and clothes in leiu of food. Or bolting a shite tonne to the outside, which is the LAST move on a packin through 8 k of timber to reach the drainage we wanted.

RiverOtter
03-05-2016, 11:02 AM
"More" isn't always better as we tend to want to fill it IMO. I can do a 10 day hunt with a 70l pack if I have a hunting partner where we can split some of the items we take. Having a light weight tent and compressible sleeping for the mtns is key. Having said that, there isn't much you can do about your spotting scope, tripod, and binos as they simply take up room. There is an "art" to packing light. Most people simply bring too much.
"MORE" room might get a newb(or a real slow learner), but most guys pare down HARD after their first trip. If your gonna run the ragged edge on the small side, what do you do if you connect on a ram in the first week.....?....Sure, you can dump food/burn packaging, but a ram takes up a LOT more space than that.

I get the "share" concept too, but how far do you go.....? Besides tent/stove.....Sleeping bag? Sleep pad? Rain gear? Underwear?

My partner and I share a tent, but that's it. A Jet Boil Sol weighs less than a pound and if it fails your SOL(pun there). We actually had one fail 2 years ago, and I'm damn glad we didn't have to eat cold MH. A guy can gamble on weather and take his chances with no rain gear or spare pants/shirt/underwear/socks, but that'll only buy you a couple pounds, a tiny bit of space and make you far more vulnerable to disaster.

I still want to see an honest 70 liter(4500cubes) pack list and what is inside and what is outside the pack.........

Buck
03-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Guy i know uses a Tatonka Lastenkraxe he travels as a minimalist no tent no cooking just a tarp and bivy he sleeps under the tarp drapped over the Lastenkraxe.He hauled a Ram and lifesize cape out not sure how he did it but he got it done solo.Oh and he does not use a spotting scope.

KodiakHntr
03-05-2016, 12:15 PM
My partner and I share a tent, but that's it.
Thats only because your hunting partner is bigger'n you, and if you shared a sleeping bag you'd hafts be the little spoon......(grin)

I still want to see an honest 70 liter(4500cubes) pack list and what is inside and what is outside the pack.........

One guy that I've hunted with a time or two, can do that. But he sleeps in a bivy, and eats a handful of trail mix for breakfast/lunch (as in less than a cupful combined for the two "meals".

Avalanche123
03-05-2016, 04:17 PM
"

I don't have a pack list. I bring very little extra clothes. No reason to bullshit you about the volume. I have made it work. As far as getting your animal out, did you ever consider making an extra trip or "shuttling" everything out? It works for me. Rolled up tent fly goes on the side of my pack, poles on the other side. Neither matter if they get wet. I spend a lot of times in the mountains in all seasons and never came close to a disaster due to lack of gear. Trying using collapsable water bags (1 litre) for your fuel. When you are done, it rolls up into very little. I only bring a spoon, one tiny bowl and it actually squishes down to nothing and I use it as a cup too. There are lots of ways to be efficient without compromising safety.

71_camaro
03-05-2016, 04:50 PM
100L minimum is a must for long hikes.sure you can get gear in with less but meat and horn take alot of space.
Tatonka and other better packs that you can put meat between frame and bag or under bag on a frame can work. Ferrying meat in sleet rain and snow when your miserable for hours SUX.buy once!

RiverOtter
03-05-2016, 06:01 PM
I don't have a pack list. I bring very little extra clothes. No reason to bullshit you about the volume. I have made it work. As far as getting your animal out, did you ever consider making an extra trip or "shuttling" everything out? It works for me. Rolled up tent fly goes on the side of my pack, poles on the other side. Neither matter if they get wet. I spend a lot of times in the mountains in all seasons and never came close to a disaster due to lack of gear. Trying using collapsable water bags (1 litre) for your fuel. When you are done, it rolls up into very little. I only bring a spoon, one tiny bowl and it actually squishes down to nothing and I use it as a cup too. There are lots of ways to be efficient without compromising safety.
I do all that stuff too, same as any other gear whore, who obsesses over weight. That's why I'm so curious about a gear list, I want to see/learn what I'm missing. If your gear list doesn't include tent, sleeping bag, spotter, tripod and rain gear for example, then I would understand. If it does include all those items, then I'm really curious of makes/models so I can research and refine my gear.....as I have access to your exact pack.

And yes, I've shuttled plenty, but 8-15 km one way, is a one and done trip. I don't do 14 day pack ins(No horses) for elk/moose, only sheep.

Avalanche123
03-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Please note that I said 10 days. I didn't say my pack was light. But I did say between my partner and myself, I was able to get everything into my 70l pack.
My pack is an Arcteryx Naos 70l, Fully waterproof. They don't make it any more. Tent is a two person MSR Hubba Hubba, half therma rest, Mtn Hardware down sleeping bag to -18C that compresses to next football size. MSR Dragonfly stove. We only take one swaro spotting scope and one swaro bins. Tripod collapse to 10inches. One pot for boiling water. Hope this helps.
I also prefer to "shuttle" items if I get a critter as I find it more efficient and easier on my body instead of trying to pack everything out in one go. It's a formula that works well for me.

325 wsm
03-05-2016, 06:35 PM
After 22 years of guiding and over 200 sheep moose caribou and bear my 2nd wilderness wanderer still has a few years in it. Personally I have no use for soft frames. Soft frames create to much back sweat and no post on top to hang the rifle sling on.

Avalanche123
03-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Mine isn't a soft frame, it;s internal. Depending on what I am guiding, I may change my pack. I agree, I prefer an external frame for moose but moose is a different beast lol. Personally I find the WW a bit too heavy hey but that is just my opinion. I don't pack a gun when I am guiding unless they are bowhunters or we are hunting bear. Just my $0.02....

Buck
03-05-2016, 06:57 PM
If you guys like Externall frame packs you should checkout the Paradox Revolution Packs.https://store.seekoutside.com/revolution-backpacks/?sort=featured&page=2 .Really like mine full wrap belt which works better for me hang your gun off the frame and much lighter than the old style externalls.

RiverOtter
03-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Please note that I said 10 days. I didn't say my pack was light. But I did say between my partner and myself, I was able to get everything into my 70l pack.
My pack is an Arcteryx Naos 70l, Fully waterproof. They don't make it any more. Tent is a two person MSR Hubba Hubba, half therma rest, Mtn Hardware down sleeping bag to -18C that compresses to next football size. MSR Dragonfly stove. We only take one swaro spotting scope and one swaro bins. Tripod collapse to 10inches. One pot for boiling water. Hope this helps.
I also prefer to "shuttle" items if I get a critter as I find it more efficient and easier on my body instead of trying to pack everything out in one go. It's a formula that works well for me.
Fair enough.
My reference to weight was more of an extrapolation, as it often goes hand in hand with compact.
I went the Jet Boil Sol route as the whole shitteree packs into the 1 liter pot, including 100 gram fuel cannister. I do pack a spare 100 gram fuel though, as 1 won't quite do a fort night hunt. - 7C down bag and Thermy X-therm are super compact and plenty for August hunts. Food is a space killer for sure, but in all seriousness, the rest of my gear is same/same regardless of 7 days or 14, save for an extra 100 gram fuel cannister.

Avalanche123
03-05-2016, 07:21 PM
RiverOtter, IMHO the fuel canister thing is a total space killer. My food for ten days is ten Mtn house and 20 packs of oatmeal, lipton cup of soup, starbucks mini coffee packets, no sugar or milk or anything. Lunches are tough but I usually bring beef jerky, energy bars, chocolate and cheese. I likely will throw in some tea for variety and such but my hunts aren't about eating lol. I do try and get enough carbs each day but admit I do under achieve too but it isn't ridiculous. I don't feel I starve. I take very little extra clothing except I do pack a down jacket which compresses very small. Extra socks and underwear but that's it. I have the same pack in a 110l and find I tend to overpack it and I am not a fan of trying to pack out everything in one go either if I get a critter.

RiverOtter
03-05-2016, 09:01 PM
RiverOtter, IMHO the fuel canister thing is a total space killer. My food for ten days is ten Mtn house and 20 packs of oatmeal, lipton cup of soup, starbucks mini coffee packets, no sugar or milk or anything. Lunches are tough but I usually bring beef jerky, energy bars, chocolate and cheese. I likely will throw in some tea for variety and such but my hunts aren't about eating lol. I do try and get enough carbs each day but admit I do under achieve too but it isn't ridiculous. I don't feel I starve. I take very little extra clothing except I do pack a down jacket which compresses very small. Extra socks and underwear but that's it. I have the same pack in a 110l and find I tend to overpack it and I am not a fan of trying to pack out everything in one go either if I get a critter.
I'm gonna assume you don't have experience with a Jet Boil Sol, as the fuel canister is smaller than a coffee mug and tucks inside the pot, along with the burner and canister base. You gotta pack the 1liter pot regardless, so it only makes sense that the inside is filled. I've done the liquid fuel stoves, but they don't hold a candle to a JB for efficiency, which translates into less fuel weight.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=jetboil+sol+pics&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=ivn&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&fir=7i9q-Wt28k8c7M%253A%252C3PcR-SOxlxB4rM%252C_%253BdL7gvZVv-Er4JM%253A%252C2oVlBdXdgd_qgM%252C_%253BGlGh1GXl7w owaM%253A%252C65lnL7hMlM6hNM%252C_%253BtCWN2gLkLes X8M%253A%252CKZIOc5ur_VtAEM%252C_%253BITirBvesTycz tM%253A%252C4A4YGjclmmhUWM%252C_%253B4snu2Xa6eccCb M%253A%252C2oVlBdXdgd_qgM%252C_%253BaJHk_v5Otn7FXM %253A%252CO_wcRjx_vPWmMM%252C_%253B7yPzUQtC1WnDWM% 253A%252CY7ePNrZcLZV2SM%252C_%253B8es5KLNTB9F9QM%2 53A%252Ck0OkrFwPBL9uXM%252C_%253Bq2JR4xk7mop4MM%25 3A%252CBuO3yxf2a6DMfM%252C_%253BN7i14wGp_e1_HM%253 A%252C-u07rtUHD14aGM%252C_%253BJnqtIz7D-yNPuM%253A%252CeoO7qlONSmXZwM%252C_%253BvRZ23epkot aCeM%253A%252CuNN-zfVvtv6EjM%252C_%253BoTfN7YbgI_LIyM%253A%252CbZboQ qjawpbumM%252C_%253B9MK5iwEcZSModM%253A%252CLNNiqL RzJ0rcQM%252C_&usg=__0VS7DpBRwEQCcYztGRSfnGs7o3Y%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih0aasj6vLAhVX0mMKHa4SCUcQ7AkIPQ&biw=1280&bih=800#imgrc=QZAj76sj3UgVFM%3A
Other than that, I'm 1 MH dinner/day, Starbucks via, 2 oatmeal every second b-fast with MH bacon and eggs for the others, bag of dried fruit, large 70% cocoa chocolate bar and Clif builder bars for lunches. Don't pack sugar, but do pack a little ziploc of powdered coffee mate. Although I've thought about it, I've never packed soup, mainly cause I'm a protein/calorie whore...:D...but they do hold merit for a warm up on a shittey day.

Excluding what I'm actually wearing, I pack a second pair of pants(NF paramount), merino undies, 2 pairs merino socks and a merino shirt and light weight down vest, all in a small event compression sack. Could make a case for leaving spare clothes behind, but one nasty storm or a mishap on a creek crossing and life gets really shittey, really fast.

OutWest
03-06-2016, 12:30 PM

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Camping/Bags-%26-Packs/Weekend-%26-Expedition-Packs/Packsack-Lastenkraxe/p/56203

I'm using that Lastenkraxe packsack on my frame. Not sure where your "glorified day pack" comment comes from but I can easily pack enough for a 14 day trip with only my rifle and Hilleberg strapped to the outside of the pack.

Like I said, have tried numerous of the top end packs and nothing has stood up like this one. Several backbreaking pack outs with it now and it is tried, tested and true.

RiverOtter
03-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Never slighted the frame, as it's actually on my "to get" list as a freighter, elk and moose quarters specifically. Simple, but well put together design.

If the bag pictured is an honest 70 liters(4272 cubes fully expanded) and my Gregory Denali is an honest 100 liters(6102 cubes fully expanded), I'm just wondering what the gear difference is. I don't have room to pack carelessly and there definitely is no room for meat and/or a sheep cape inside. If I ditched the HH Impertech and a change of clothes, I MIGHT squeeze into 70 liters, while still retaining a spotter and small tripod.
I know the bag on my parners Lastenkraxe frame is pathetic, and it doesn't look identical to the one you linked, so who knows.

I guess what I find odd, is that seasoned sheep hunters like BC Whities for example, are using 90 liter+ bags and have actual gear lists to coincide. Not saying anyone here is bullshittting, just wondering what all gets packed on a 2 week hunt and if all pack manufacturers have accurate volume measurements. For example, if a company lists their volume for just the main compartment, unexpanded, then a 70 L might actually be closer to 85 fully stretched out.

Case in point, the pack below looks like a 70 L on steroids......
https://www.google.ca/search?q=lastenkraxe+packsack&oq=Lastenkraxe+&aqs=chrome.4.69i59j0j69i57j69i60j0.3997j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgdii=zY3i5U_OfAAdpM%3A%3BYMJbCfsuP3b-kM%3A%3BYMJbCfsuP3b-kM%3A&imgrc=YMJbCfsuP3b-kM%3A

combine pilot
03-06-2016, 10:01 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P9150944.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P9150943.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P9120895.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P9120894.jpg

For those of you who might be interested, this is the outdoorsman pack in use a couple years ago packing out 2 caribou. These packs are rated for 200 lbs. Very well built pack.

kush
03-08-2016, 11:44 PM
good deal on eberlestock here
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?123592-Brand-New-Eberlestock-Backpacks-Great-Deal