PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle damage by natives?

DPassey
02-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Not that I want to have one of my first posts be controversial, but what gives with the natives acting like the mob? After just moving to BC in 2014 I've been verbally assaulted twice while hunting by natives. They both threatened to burn my truck up as soon as I left it to go out for the day. Is this a normal thing here?

Ive heard of others guys being asked for "parking fees" in government pullouts. Or "sure wouldn't want anything to happen to your outfit while your gone. I could watch it for ya for $100 bucks".

Both times I was alone and they weren't. So I just went down the road and hid my truck on a cut and hiked up the valley. I'm planning a stone sheep hunt up north but I don't want my truck and trailer burnt up when I get back.

Any my thoughts on this? Does it happen lots?

Rob
02-28-2016, 08:09 AM
Some places are worse than others. Get plate numbers if you can just in case you return to your truck being vandalized. around here is pretty relaxed. I know the Klappan rd has been hit or miss along the Spatsizi. 15 yrs hunting in BC Ive never had an issue. North can be different. Above Tatogga can be an issue as Creke (sp?) has been known to be protective of his guiding area. Ive found the GO's weren't to happy to see me on sheep hunts but no big issues. was a couple threads on here about this somewhere.

Rob

DPassey
02-28-2016, 08:22 AM
This was by Fort Ware and Takla.

Hows the Tahltan area for this?

Rob
02-28-2016, 08:29 AM
Tahltan FN's were fine when I was up around telegraph a few years ago. GO's didn't care for us up there. The natives were having a ceremony beside the gas station that doesnt have gas anymore. we were invited to come if we wanted and have hot dogs etc.

From what ive heard of Fort Ware..I wouldn't go anywhere near it. Search Fort Ware on here, was a thread a few years back on it.

Rob

Trapper
02-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Over the years I've had some bad experience with some of the Tahltan any were from burning our camp down to wrecking my truck when we a way from it. told me the white man was not welcome there and that they were on the war path and that's what they told me word for word .most of the time's that was at the dease lake store ( don't stop there anymore) . the CO'S told me that it was most'ly the local drunks at the store causing trouble . But that being said I have never had any trouble with my camp or truck over the years I've been going up there. and have meet some of the other natives who were very friendly. some who were hunting in same area stopping in camp and having dinner with us . and one time helping us with getting a moose out. so there not all bad

REMINGTON JIM
02-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Not that I want to have one of my first posts be controversial, but what gives with the natives acting like the mob? After just moving to BC in 2014 I've been verbally assaulted twice while hunting by natives. They both threatened to burn my truck up as soon as I left it to go out for the day. Is this a normal thing here?

Ive heard of others guys being asked for "parking fees" in government pullouts. Or "sure wouldn't want anything to happen to your outfit while your gone. I could watch it for ya for $100 bucks".

Both times I was alone and they weren't. So I just went down the road and hid my truck on a cut and hiked up the valley. I'm planning a stone sheep hunt up north but I don't want my truck and trailer burnt up when I get back.

Any my thoughts on this? Does it happen lots?

and they will too - BURNED a fellow i knows TRACKER up in Ft St John a few years back while he was out hunting on crown land ! :mad: RJ

FlyingHigh
02-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Why can I never find these truck burning guys when I'm out fishing and leave my POS Ford parked all day by the road? Walking out would be a pleasure compared to having to drive the pile of crap any longer. LOL

HarryToolips
02-28-2016, 11:19 AM
As was said, I'd get a licence plate number, plus record the date/time and other info...or you could park your truck, wait for them to get close and start f%$kin with it, then send a couple flyers near their feet...

swampthing
02-28-2016, 11:26 AM
I spent a night close to ft ware last year on a spring bear hunt. I was nervous because of the stories I had heard. Locals were everywhere hunting. I was solo and within hours the locals figured out I was there as they were driving all over the place. One group came by my camp all holding guns. They returned my wave and carried on. A second fellow showed up in my camp that night with his girlfriend. I hid my cup of rum and welcomed him to my fire. He was a young friendly fellow and offered to take me hunting in the morning. We BSed for about 2 hours before he left. I wasn't too sure about intentions which prompted me to clear out at first light the next morning. As said I think there can be issues depending on where you go. I think close to PG its the young "white" punks you have to watch for!

MichelD
02-28-2016, 12:28 PM
I was going to 6-09 last fall and a good buddy was full of horror stories including the "headless hunter" about a corpse found up there some years ago.

He said he had a relative up there who had heard first hand about camp and truck burnings, wouldn't go if we paid him, it was all a dangerous horror show, etc. etc. etc.

I did some research and did not find any evidence of a mysterious body found up there, or any other bad news.

I was up for 10 days and my buddies another ten and had a great time.

I think my friend's relative who was a school teacher on a reserve up there was very gullible and had encountered a very good BS artist.

02-28-2016, 12:36 PM
Had some Bad experiences with the locals from Inginika - Ft. Ware area a number of years ago. Brutal, to long of story to tell here but it appears the laws of this country don't stand in many of these remote places. Plus the lack of help from RCMP is astonishing ........ It's your word against theirs. They love to threaten and intimidate, this is exactly what they want, I personally wouldn't stray into that country alone, I'd want 4 or five good well trusted friends at my side, and would never leave a camp or vehicles alone.

there are different laws in this country ........ And no judge or politician has the guts to stand up to them. One law for all ...... Period.

bigredchev
02-28-2016, 12:56 PM
We always have a large full size poster of John Wayne in camp. Nobody dares...

boxhitch
02-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Heard that the best thing to do at Ware is to visit the band office first thing , and have a chat. A couple of friends hauling horses did that , and received a good reception , and later got the help they needed with trailer troubles.
Don't know for sure if the visit changed anything but they figured it opened doors.

DPassey
02-28-2016, 02:07 PM
I've had some dealings with the Hiasla band (which was very good). However....I've learned that even with the chief and council approval, doesn't mean much with the average goe in the band. Often they fight as factions and/or families that were in power and are now removed. But I guess any approval is a good thing.

rocksteady
02-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Worst band? Alexis creek, hands down.

bunch of punks caught up in the drug trade/ thug life

44inchStone
02-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Two Words!!
TRAIL CAM
I put up a few of these in my camp with 64 GB cards. It would suck coming back to a wrecked truck or camp but looking at video or pics will give you the evidence you need.
There are alot of dishonest people out there and are probably not too far away.

Edzzed
02-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Two Words!!
TRAIL CAM
I put up a few of these in my camp with 64 GB cards. It would suck coming back to a wrecked truck or camp but looking at video or pics will give you the evidence you need.
There are alot of dishonest people out there and are probably not too far away.Great idea unless they expect it. These dimwits didn't expect it. http://bc.ctvnews.ca/3-arson-suspects-turn-themselves-in-to-police-1.1925080

604ksmith
02-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Anytime I leave a camp empty or park my truck for anything longer than a few hours I put up a trail camera. It's paranoia for sure, but better safe than sorry.

finngun
02-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Take ya old buddy..grampa etc..for camp watching..it,s well worth to do it..papa can hunt while ya at camp..or he can do some fishing or grouse hunting near camp,,when young ones are hunting far out..
Even some non hunters enjoy to be a camp watch..:mrgreen:

Drillbit
02-28-2016, 07:19 PM
My Brother in law had all of his truck and trailer tires cut a few years ago near the Klappan.

Big Lew
02-28-2016, 07:49 PM
There's been a lot of trouble reported throughout the areas west of Williams Lake to north
of Prince George. Much of the vandalism has been attributed to some of the local trouble
makers on the reserves. I've seen it firsthand near Riske Creek, watching a group of young
native men actively stripping a hunter's truck and canopy while the hunters were well away
from their gear. As I was by myself there wasn't much I could do. I couldn't even take down
a plate number because they had none on the front of their truck.
Having said that though, I've also had some very good experiences with other band members
from that area. One of those experiences was just this last fall when I had trouble halfway
between Farwell Canyon and Fletcher lake, forcing me to leave my camp and walk 22 kms to
a phone booth. A group of 6 young native loggers from Riske Creek not only made room for
me in their crowded cab, taking me to the phone, they promised to look out for me on the way
back. On top of that, they knew where my camp was and got on the radio to ask the truck
drivers and other loggers to keep an eye on my camp for me. Nobody even drove off the haul
road to go near my vulnerable camp and truck. They had ample opportunity to do whatever
they wished had they chosen to do so. I attribute some of my luck to meeting a group that were
trying to make a decent living rather then sit idly around looking for trouble to get into.

Surrey Boy
02-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Caught an Indian breaking into my truck at the mall in Nanaimo. Got away on his bicycle.

The worst part is you can't talk about because it's a hate crime.

I didn't report it because the police and ICBC wouldn't help, just blame me for having valuables and use the report to boost their stats.

ufishifish2
02-28-2016, 09:06 PM
I parked near the Okanagan Indian Band Reserve property to snowmobile in to Little Pinaus Lake and do some ice fishing. I was parked on a little used dead end road right in front of a native families home. I got back at the end of the day and a few kms down the road both my trailer tires fell off. I couldn't find the lug nuts in the snow and most of the wheel studs were broken or badly marred. It definitely gives a guy a bad taste for a while....... then I remember there are bad apples in every demographic!

leadpillproductions
02-28-2016, 09:17 PM
How about reg 723 anyone have any issues in there

takla1
02-28-2016, 09:32 PM
not 7-23 but have had a few scapes with the Takla lk band in 7-27 over the yrs.Came very close to throwing punch's at a rd. block around 2005/06 got thru tho.The alteration brought in the RCMP 2 days later and they harassed us for the incident if you can believe it!..

takla

Fred1
02-28-2016, 09:37 PM
Maybe they are upset with their representation at the Oscars?

DPassey
02-28-2016, 09:51 PM
Soooo......looks like it happens but not as much as I thought. Just so happens I was 2 for 2 on trips. Just my luck I guess.
What about over by the Prophet, Muskwa or Trochodie?

takla1
02-28-2016, 09:57 PM
I hunted the prophet before I started hunting Takla area.We hunted prophet from the 80's thru to 2000,never had a problem with the PR Band other that them comeing in at last lightand shotting game near our camp on a couple occasions..Way less aggressive than the Takla lake band..

takla

takla1
02-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Muskwa and Trochodie have zero rd access and I haven't seen them much on the rivers with et boats..

takla

Surrey Boy
02-28-2016, 11:16 PM
. . . then I remember there are bad apples in every demographic!

Which is why I act so harshly towards white miscreants. They embarrass me to be one of them.

We must purge the evil from among us, lest we be damned with them.

decker9
02-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Weird, iv goat hunted a lot all around takla, and have never had an issue. Mind you my vehicle was always parked well out of sight. Same goes for 3 different hunts up passed tsay keh (close to ware), ran into a few locals, they were always quite friendly and helpful.

olympia
02-29-2016, 01:36 AM
Watch out!!! The natives will kill you and eat your kittens if you have any.

Singleshotneeded
02-29-2016, 01:59 AM
Watch out!!! The natives will kill you and eat your kittens if you have any.

Their women love it when the braves eat their `kittens`...

finngun
02-29-2016, 09:48 AM
If ya make yu camp,,park yua truck 100m out of road...can,t see it from the road,,,no problem....wheel.warriors are on wheels..no boots ...:redface:

J_06
03-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Why can I never find these truck burning guys when I'm out fishing and leave my POS Ford parked all day by the road? Walking out would be a pleasure compared to having to drive the pile of crap any longer. LOL
Park it around mcleod lake, exactly what happened to me and my pos Ford.

srupp
03-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Mcleese lake? Would not have expected that..wow..
Steven

J_06
03-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Oops, McLeod lake!

BiG Boar
03-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Heard some rough stuff first hand from around Fort Ware, actually 7-38. I wouldn't leave my camp around there anymore.

walks with deer
03-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Had a small battle up Harrison west some 10 years ago.
very happy my dad shared a locker with the know chief and I knew that or I wouldn't have hair.

I put the drop on a character with his knif prying open my back window. Didn't go over well.

Remember if you have a issue you are harsh outnumbered betterm to bow out then fight then report through the right channels...

goinghunting
03-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Id stay away from fort ware those natives are brutal. The talthan arent bad ussually.

ACB
03-10-2016, 12:13 AM
SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS THESE FELLOW'S THINK THEY CAN DO WHAT EVER THAY WANT TOO ON" THEIR LAND ". So what they need to find out is they can't! It's time for people to standup to these asshole's and let them know that homy don't play that way anymore. And it would be interesting to see how the courts would treat that.

.308SLAYER
03-10-2016, 07:41 AM
There is no court out in the bush buddy, a person has the right to defend yourself and your property though can't wait for the day I catch someone trying to threaten me or degenerate my belongings

BgBlkDg
03-10-2016, 08:05 AM
It is time to make this a major political issue provincially and federally and use our MAJORITY to protect OUR rights as citizens and taxpayers.

If, this continues, violent confrontations and deaths are inevitable and sooner rather than later.

Down South
03-10-2016, 08:15 AM
It is time to make this a major political issue provincially and federally and use our MAJORITY to protect OUR rights as citizens and taxpayers.

If, this continues, violent confrontations and deaths are inevitable and sooner rather than later.

Agree completely, now what we need is our elected politicians to do there jobs, if not we should be recalling them, regardless of their political party

Trouble is coming, the path we are on will lead to confrontation and ultimately a war in the woods