PDA

View Full Version : Eating grizzly bear meat.

tigrr
02-27-2016, 09:56 PM
I have read some where that a grizzly bear from the interior (not fish eater) tastes really good. The ones eating all the moose calves and fawns are well fed. Every one I have watched is scarfing down grass like crazy. Evidence in the berry patches of them eating the last 6 inches of the Saskatoon plant.
What I am looking for is people's opinion that have tasted grizzly bear meat.

Caribou_lou
02-27-2016, 10:11 PM
We have eaten every Grizzly we harvested. Meat is great! No different than black bear. The last bear I harvested could possibly have been eating fish in the fall. Close to a salmon river. But if I were to guess I'd say it wasn't. No fish smell whatsoever. I would recommend it. Some big hams on those boars.

Wentrot
02-27-2016, 10:12 PM
I have only had pepperoni and sausage but liked it just as much as I do black bear. Two thumbs up from me.

srupp
02-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Hmm have ate some of the g bears over the decades..cariboo mtn bears quite good...coastal g bears stunk..never had the courage to get past the stink..
Srupp

warnniklz
02-27-2016, 11:49 PM
If my brother gets his and I'm standing next to him while he drops, damn sure I'm eating it! Even if it taste like it's stereotyped.

180grainer
02-27-2016, 11:56 PM
Not sure what would posses a person to eat Grizzly meat. Machismo, (whatever)? If I had to eat it to survive, I would. I don't, so I won't. I've eaten black bear. Don't really care for that either. Much rather have a moose roast. Why don't you just go down to the SPCA and pick yourself up a mutt and make a stew out of that? You could. The Koreans do it all the time, (well ok they don't go to the SPCA, but eating dog is in their background....cause they had too). You can eat pretty much anything if you have to. It's why, when you don't have to, that's the question. You eat beef that's been finished with grain. Grizzly's been finished with rancid flesh from something it's found or buried and come back to after it's rotted. Understand that, and enjoy your meal.........

two-feet
02-28-2016, 12:52 AM
Not sure what would posses a person to eat Grizzly meat. Machismo, (whatever)? If I had to eat it to survive, I would. I don't, so I won't. I've eaten black bear. Don't really care for that either. Much rather have a moose roast. Why don't you just go down to the SPCA and pick yourself up a mutt and make a stew out of that? You could. The Koreans do it all the time, (well ok they don't go to the SPCA, but eating dog is in their background....cause they had too). You can eat pretty much anything if you have to. It's why, when you don't have to, that's the question. You eat beef that's been finished with grain. Grizzly's been finished with rancid flesh from something it's found or buried and come back to after it's rotted. Understand that, and enjoy your meal.........
Well.....you eat it because its good. And because its healthy, wild meat. And because you killed it. you have a hang-up about eating it for some reason, because it scavenges? Pigs and chickens scavenge. Deer eat birds. When i die hopefully a bunch of grass will grow in the spot i died and a moose will eat that.
Grizz is good.

Caribou_lou
02-28-2016, 12:52 AM

There are much worse things to eat out there than Grizzly. In fact the guy that posted before you cooked up some golden brown bear testicles last spring if my memory serves me right!

3centsolution
02-28-2016, 12:55 AM

Ever actually tried it or is this unfounded bias opinion

ElectricDyck
02-28-2016, 12:55 AM
i haven't killed one yet, but when I do I will eat it.

180grainer
02-28-2016, 01:15 AM
Ever actually tried it or is this unfounded bias opinion

It's founded bias opinion. Would you suggest I eat shite if that was the topic? "Hey, you've never put shite in your mouth???? You should try it, it's great!!!" Maybe one of you guys can pipe up and tell the rest of us the last time you ate coyote.........Like I said. You can eat anything if you have to, (or if you want to). You can rave all you want to about how good it is or "if you kill it you should eat it" type stuff. For me, when comes to Griz or coyotes, it all comes down to "if you don't have to why would you.........There's nothing beneficial about the meat and there's potentially something very hazardous about it. Hey personal choice. I don't care if you eat it. Fill your boots.

180grainer
02-28-2016, 01:22 AM
There are much worse things to eat out there than Grizzly.
Come on Lou, that's not actually a ringing endorsement to eat the stuff. If you guys want to eat it, go ahead. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't touch it.

shortrange
02-28-2016, 01:36 AM
It tastes unlike chicken...Just try it.

monasheemountainman
02-28-2016, 01:59 AM
Yeah I think I'm with 180 on this one! But that said if I'm lucky enough to connect on my bear, I will pack the meat out to give to the dog! Might even try a batch or two of smokies!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-28-2016, 03:25 AM
I wouldnt .. But i dont care for black bear either . im scared of parisities and i dont care how its cook . i would rather not take the chance

kevan
02-28-2016, 06:19 AM
I wouldnt .. But i dont care for black bear either . im scared of parisities and i dont care how its cook . i would rather not take the chance

The only Grizzly I ever had to deal with was so full of worms the COs took the carcass away to be destroyed.
And that did it for any bear meat for me...... period..

browningboy
02-28-2016, 06:40 AM
The only Grizzly I ever had to deal with was so full of worms the COs took the carcass away to be destroyed.

Seen the same thing, it was gross, but to each their own....

tigrr
02-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Surprizing how some guys can't read. Stick with store bought meat. If you only seen how some animals are assisted into the slaughter house by a front end loader because the are to sick to walk by them selves. Enjoy your beef. "Young dogs only" for eating, I hear!
I will likely try some grizzly bear meat. I have shown 15 people how good black bear tastes. Even the squeamish go back for 2nd's. But to each their own.

bearvalley
02-28-2016, 08:53 AM
There's nothing very appealing, about peeling the hide off of a scavenging, stinky old grizzly and thinking of it as lunch.

Of coarse all the "grizzly bear steak eaters" that keep posting up how they like griz meat are just really selective and manage to always find one of those fat, clean, berry fed ones.
Even in the spring.

It is a known fact, in many cases where wildlife populations are crashing due to predation, that wolves are at blame for the reduction and bears are stopping the recovery
We can pack out grizzly meat in an effort to make the antis happy but we better start putting out the message that we hunt bears for other reasons than to stuff our guts.

300rum700
02-28-2016, 09:00 AM
As far as posting on this site that the antis read regularly to add fuel to their fire I eat every goddamn bear that I shoot. Period. Not sure the mentality that some of you have about posting that's it's not fit for dogs but this might be a good time NOT HAVE AN OIPNION if you don't want to eat a grizzly bear.

02-28-2016, 09:04 AM
Personally, I wouldn't shoot one with out plans of eating it. Unless it was for protection reasons. And yes we have eaten it and it was delicious. That said we don't shoot fish eating bears. They have been interior non fish eating critters. Smoked hams are incredible, sausages terrific !

Caribou_lou
02-28-2016, 09:13 AM
Come on Lou, that's not actually a ringing endorsement to eat the stuff. If you guys want to eat it, go ahead. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't touch it.

Im far from trying to endorse eating Grizzly. You made it sound like it's the worst thing out there. I'm not going to say it's the best! Not comparable to elk or stone sheep meat. But I don't mind it.

I much rather eat it over any store bought pork! Guys are talking about worms in meat. Look no further than bacon! Pigs are really no different than bears when it comes to the meat. Except the colour.

two-feet
02-28-2016, 09:19 AM
I would like a grizzly heart to cook up, it would be amazing im sure

Downtown
02-28-2016, 09:33 AM
My Ancestors (Neandertahls) never eat Bears. Thy killed them and used the Fur and some Bones but berried the rest. To this Day Antropologist are not certain why they did this but it is a Fact. Could it be that those People knew many Bears are loaded with Trichinosis which is deadly for Humans. Myself I would probably eat Bear Meat if there is nothing else but I would make dam sure it has been boiled long enough.

People are constantly Brainwashed by the Media with there own agenda. Whats wrong with leaving a Carcass for all the other Animals Mice-Ravens-Crows-Eagles-Martin-Wolverine-Wolf to feast on, nothing but nothing is wasted and happens naturally all the time.

Compare that with official Statistics that in Canada 30% of all Store bought Food goes to waste and into a Landfill where it is totally wasted.

Cheers

REMINGTON JIM
02-28-2016, 09:36 AM
My Ancestors (Neandertahls) never eat Bears. Thy killed them and used the Fur and some Bones but berried the rest. To this Day Antropologist are not certain why they did this but it is a Fact. Could it be that those People knew many Bears are loaded with Trichinosis which is deadly for Humans. Myself I would probably eat Bear Meat if there is nothing else but I would make dam sure it has been boiled long enough.

People are constantly Brainwashed by the Media with there own agenda. Whats wrong with leaving a Carcass for all the other Animals Mice-Ravens-Crows-Eagles-Martin-Wolverine-Wolf to feast on, nothing but nothing is wasted and happens naturally all the time.

Compare that with official Statistics that in Canada 30% of all Store bought Food goes to waste and into a Landfill where it is totally wasted.

Cheers

Good OPINION ! - one i share with ya only i am not eating any G BEAR meat at all ! AND i don't give a PHUCK what the antis think on this one ! There Phucking all STUPID in MHO anyhow ! jmo RJ

Weatherby Fan
02-28-2016, 09:44 AM
As far as posting on this site that the antis read regularly to add fuel to their fire I eat every goddamn bear that I shoot. Period. Not sure the mentality that some of you have about posting that's it's not fit for dogs but this might be a good time NOT HAVE AN OIPNION if you don't want to eat a grizzly bear.

I eat what I shoot and only shoot what I want to eat............

Ill tell ya though those carrots are hard to hit at a 100 yards when there on a dead run :wink:

Wentrot
02-28-2016, 10:24 AM

Cheers

"Brainwashed?" I don't care if the next guy doesn't take the meat, I simply said it tastes good so would pack it out. Has nothing to do with right or wrong. Take it, leave it I don't effing care.

REMINGTON JIM
02-28-2016, 10:55 AM
"Brainwashed?" I don't care if the next guy doesn't take the meat, I simply said it tastes good so would pack it out. Has nothing to do with right or wrong. Take it, leave it I don't effing care.

and i AGREE with you too if you want it take it and eat it - if you don't Leave it - HUNTERs choice in my OPINON on any predator animal meat - yote -wolf- cat-bear etc ! RJ

markomoose
02-28-2016, 11:31 AM
I'd eat it!Nothing wrong with Bear meat.I'm not too fussy.

GoatGuy
02-28-2016, 11:41 AM
If you can eat a big old mule buck in November you can definitely eat grizz.

Makes great hams.

mpotzold
02-28-2016, 11:47 AM

Don't understand why the CO's would be involved unless you shot the grizz in self defence. It's up to you to take the edible?? portions home or leave it for the scavengers. If you found the worms at home take it to the dump.
Why waste the CO's precious time?

Personally I would never eat meat from scavengers. Not only do they scavenge but will often cover their own kills & wait for it to rot before coming back. The more rotten the tastier.
Then there is the fishy taste from coastal bears. Thanks but no thanks.

GoatGuy
02-28-2016, 11:56 AM
So people don't eat meat that could have worms or scavengers???

charlie_horse
02-28-2016, 12:33 PM
when I eventually get a grizz draw I'll try and eat it because I like food and I'm curious. But I'm definitely not hunting it for food, the help fawn and calf recruitment rings a lot more true to me than a smoked ham.

boxhitch
02-28-2016, 12:39 PM
So people don't eat meat that could have worms or scavengers???Thats probably the choice for some
Just like some doit away on how cattle are sickly and diseased before being made into hamburger , so choose not to eat burger, but to them steaks may be ok. Its choices, to each there own.
We have too many rules imparting someone elses thoughts onto how we live our lives.

Me , I question the whole 'edible portions' rule. Who decides what is edible, for others ? Its my bear , I decide what is edible.

Salmon Belly
02-28-2016, 12:43 PM
...Myself I would probably eat Bear Meat if there is nothing else but I would make dam sure it has been boiled long enough...

Boiled? You don't really mean boiled, do you? I often wonder if some people's negative reaction to the meat on their plate is because of how it's prepared. It's awfully easy to ruin game meat. Get a good digital meat thermometer, and have at er on the grill, roasted, etc. But I can't see how boiled meat is ever going to impress anyone. Just my 2 cents.

Got a grizz draw this spring so hopefully we have some eating to report back with. Have eaten plenty of black bears, kids love the sausage and peps more than almost every other game (moose/elk their favourite).

SB

guntech
02-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Guys are talking about worms in meat. Look no further than bacon! Pigs are really no different than bears when it comes to the meat. Except the colour.

Wrong! Canadian inspected and approved pork is considered worm free and does not need to be cooked to kill worms. Wild bears not so much.

Eat what you want but if it's bear you better cook it well...

Wentrot
02-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Boiled? You don't really mean boiled, do you? I often wonder if some people's negative reaction to the meat on their plate is because of how it's prepared. It's awfully easy to ruin game meat. Get a good digital meat thermometer, and have at er on the grill, roasted, etc. But I can't see how boiled meat is ever going to impress anyone. Just my 2 cents.

Got a grizz draw this spring so hopefully we have some eating to report back with. Have eaten plenty of black bears, kids love the sausage and peps more than almost every other game (moose/elk their favourite).

SB

No doubt lol I gagged a bit thinking about boiled bear

two-feet
02-28-2016, 12:52 PM
A bear that has been sleeping on a maggoty moose carcass for a week may not be the best table fare, much like the rutted up november buck as mentioned. By far the animal with the most parasites that i have ever seen is.... Halibut. They are literally crawling with worms. Lingcod too. But you dont see most people turning up their noses at a nice chunk of deep fried fish too often.

GoatGuy
02-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Thats probably the choice for some
Just like some doit away on how cattle are sickly and diseased before being made into hamburger , so choose not to eat burger, but to them steaks may be ok. Its choices, to each there own.
We have too many rules imparting someone elses thoughts onto how we live our lives.

Me , I question the whole 'edible portions' rule. Who decides what is edible, for others ? Its my bear , I decide what is edible.

Scavengers: lobster, crab, prawn, shrimp, halibut, cod etc.

Maybe it just applies to mammals?

Worms come in just about every kind of meat - just need to look for it.

RackStar
02-28-2016, 04:04 PM
I just cut the backstraps and eat em raw like a man. Puts hair on your chest.
Beats picton pork, bird flu chicken and Madcow beef

Caribou_lou
02-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Wrong! Canadian inspected and approved pork is considered worm free and does not need to be cooked to kill worms. Wild bears not so much.

Eat what you want but if it's bear you better cook it well...

I'm sure every restaurant in BC serves Canadian Inspected and Approved Pork.

emerson
02-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Yes, I've eaten fish Grizz. Yes it tasted like salmon. Seems many hunters are actually quite narrow minded. Kind of like those who swear off dating women(or men) because 1 didn't treat them right.

rocksteady
02-28-2016, 06:54 PM
I killed and ate a cougar... If done right... Delicious... Don't let your vices over ride your taste buds.

a grizz may taste like shit, but you don't know til you try....

meat is meat brutha

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Have liked all the grizz meat that I've eaten. But have never eaten coastal bears.

tuner
02-28-2016, 09:28 PM
Eating grizzly or any other predator is a"western dietary taboo",people tend to frown upon eating animals that eat other animals for some reason, I myself admit that I subscribed to this viewpoint, having said that, the first black bear I ever took was a pleasant surprise, as the meat was devoid of any gaminess in either odour or flavour. Grizzly however,is definitely too adventurous for my tastes, cats are definite no go, and canines, well,the idea is just revolting to me.

kevan
02-28-2016, 09:35 PM
I eat what I shoot and only shoot what I want to eat............

Ill tell ya though those carrots are hard to hit at a 100 yards when there on a dead run :wink:

Like Brussel Sprouts at 200 yds ??

Fred1
02-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Know a few guys who eat it. Apparently the fat makes fantastic pastry dough?! Two guys were taking slabs of it home for their wives. I had pepperoni from a big old boar a few years ago - was pretty good!!

tangozulu
02-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Ive tried grizzly bear once. But the wrst game meat I ever ate was from a rutting caribou bull. That was truely un edible.