PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Skeena G Bear hunters

shortrange
02-27-2016, 09:32 PM
I won the spring grizz LEH in 3140 Skeena 6-08. Looking for hunt buddies to go with. Fair share of bear. I plan on sausages. I have my own 4WD and hunt gear/guns.

180grainer
02-27-2016, 11:45 PM
Sharing Griz meat isn't a selling feature. Just saying......:)

Caribou_lou
02-28-2016, 12:57 AM
Tough area for Spring bear. But they are around and they are big. North of Chapman lake held a few last fall. A friend of mine call one in with a cow call Bow season. I would offer you a hand but I have my own draw in a new area. Going to have my hands full with that.

Are you from around the area?

shortrange
02-28-2016, 01:44 AM
Are you from around the area?
Currently in Lower Rainland, but I lived in FSJ for an entire winter....

40incher
02-28-2016, 11:37 AM
M.U. 6-08 is a very large area and tough to hunt in the spring as there are very few slide areas.

I would focus out towards the Babine River and beyond ... once you reach the Nilkitkwa River you will be crossing over to 6-07. There is a nice spot to camp at Starvation Lake, which is a central spot to hunt out of. There are some gated/blocked roads in the area that make a mountain bike a good option to hunt away from the traffic.

The meat will be good on a spring grizzly ... makes good sausage and cured hams.

Ambush
02-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Don't get too discouraged by lack of sign on the roads north of Chapman lake. Someone in the area seems to regularly remove the large piles from the road and even in one spot brushed a short area covered with grizzly tracks, that appeared to be a boar and sow courting.

But yeah, not many grizzlies in that area in the spring and not a lot of glassing opportunities. But, just like the draw itself, somebody gott'a lucky!!

shortrange
02-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Yup, a lottery ticket. I plan on putting in some trail time and hoping it pays dividends. As in sausages. . .

sawmill
03-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Bear Road just out of Hazelton.I have had good luck on grizz and blacks there over the years.

Caribou_lou
03-01-2016, 08:56 PM
40incher and Sawmill gave you two great areas. Pick one of the 2! If you don't connect on a Grizzly you will see some big black bears. So you will go home with something.

Caribou_lou
03-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Bear Road will show up as Suskwa Road on most maps. And natives were blocking it last fall. Don't think they are there in the spring.

two-feet
03-01-2016, 11:24 PM
There are some alpine areas easily accessed off the suskwa, might be some slides to check out. I think that road connects with the nichyeskwa (sp?) on the north end and gets you into the babine/nilkitkwa country.

The Blunt might be another area to look into.