PDA

View Full Version : Gobble! Gobble!

TysonVM
02-27-2016, 10:28 AM
hey everyone,

I am looking to get out and do my first turkey hunt this year, i have a buddy in the southern part of the province that has offered me a place to base out of for this but i'm not sure how the hunting is around there. being as it is my first turkey hunt, does any one have any advice or tips on hunting turkey, and any general area where turkey hunting is good?

HarryToolips
02-27-2016, 11:48 AM
They have very good eye-sight..sit, call, move as little and as slowly as possible..but I've never shot one, so this is to my limited experience..

warnniklz
02-27-2016, 02:31 PM
This reminds me... my buddy wants me to head south and hunt turkeys this spring. Only knowledge I really have (other than the general info hunters pick up periferially) is don't shoot them at the supermarket.

palmer
02-27-2016, 05:47 PM
I can hear them calling as I write this....but hearing them and killing them is a very different thing

300H&H
02-27-2016, 06:10 PM
I can hear them calling as I write this....but hearing them and killing them is a very different thing

I can be very helpful with thinning the heard if ya can pass on a little info via PM...Thanks

300H&H
02-27-2016, 06:13 PM
being as it is my first turkey hunt, does any one have any advice or tips on hunting turkey, and any general area where turkey hunting is good?

I do suggest going to the sporting goods store and buy Primos Mastering the Art Turkey Calling. Great video with LOTS of info.
Also look on here at the old threads about turkeys.

palmer
02-27-2016, 06:21 PM

Christina lake ...on Wolverton road..but the neighbours don't like gun shots....And yes I am sure LOL

kagia
02-27-2016, 07:48 PM
If it's not their property and the is no shooting prohibition, maybe they should go live in the city.

TysonVM
02-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Christina lake ...on Wolverton road..but the neighbours don't like gun shots....And yes I am sure LOL

yeah i heard chrisina lake area is pretty good. thats where my buddy is but as you said some people may not like shotguns going off in there back yard.

would a decoy be suggested or would just calling them in work?

palmer
02-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Lots of turkeys around Christina lake...numbers have been going down in the last few years but still lots for hunting...I would like to see the season start April 1...cause they are starting to gobble already...

jtred
02-28-2016, 06:51 PM
It's by far and away my favourite spring hunt. The weather is often cool to frosty in the early hours followed by beautiful warm sunshine, or it's cold and snowing. Once you get a turkey to come to a call, even answer a call you'll be hooked. Learn a couple of basic calls ie a box call, a version of the slate, or even better various mouth calls leaving your hands on the shotgun. Don't start calling until you're ready, and once they do respond and are coming in try not to move. Blinds work, calls work, decoys work, ambushes work, it all depends on how you're hunting. I watched a lot of youtube videos on calling and how to set up before I headed out, it's been a learning curve. It's a blast. Keep in mind steep means absolutely nothing to a turkey, they seem to follow the greening up as it gains altitude. Or you'll find them down in the valley scratching through cow or horse manure/feed. Give it a go you'll be hooked.

Morleystw
02-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Christina lake is the place to go,great place to meet other hbc'ers and locals.ive actually stopped going here for the last few years as it was getting to easy to take a bird.hope to see every one there this year tho!!!

scotty30-06
02-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Anybody know of a closer spot to the south coast you can find turkeys...Merritt area or anywhere else

walks with deer
02-29-2016, 09:43 PM
I heard there is a large population of them in boston bar take the first road after the town go up about 7km near the creek there everywhere.

Trick is be there early on April 15th and the big Tom's will be out...

elknut
02-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Tyson VM....Walks with deer is yanking your chain...The only open areas in BC open for turkeys is Region 4 and Region 8....Read the hunting synopsis ...Some people get off on being a jerk....Ask the CO office for info and they should help you..I'm not a turkey hunter so if I wanted some info I'd ask there ...Dennis

HarryToolips
02-29-2016, 10:08 PM
^^^^^like he said...and not all MU's in region 8 are open for turkey, primarily just south and east of OK lake..

walks with deer
02-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Ehh common

Just having a little fun..

Head east think low elevation check the regs..

I believe most turkeys you'll be close to private know your boundries.

300H&H
03-02-2016, 06:10 PM

OK....my bow is pretty quiet. What do you think ?

walks with deer
03-09-2016, 09:59 PM
Boston bar turkeys are thick and easy to hunt...