PDA

View Full Version : Fly-In companies question

ryanb
05-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Do any of you know whether anyone in Northern BC is operating Super-Cubs on a charter basis, either on floats or tundra tires? I see Kechika Valley Air, Dalziel Hunting, and Muskwa Safaris have cubs registered in their names.

If not, is there a demand for this type of service?

BCrams
05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Dalziel (Bradfords) - photographers, skiers, hikers ok .... hunters -> forget it. Should you find another charter to take you into Bradfords - hope that you get in without him or guides finding out as they're likely to "indirectly" scare sheep away by accident.

Kechika Valley Air - might --> but will not take you in any place holding sheep and goats -- a big maybe for moose and elk along the river.

Muskwa Safaris - elk and moose maybe (in less desirable areas) -- sheep, goat hunts ... probably not.

ryanb
05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Is Kechika Valley Air associated with an G/O?

BCrams
05-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Yep.

It belongs to Dale Drinkal of Terminus Mountain Outfitters.

MichelD
05-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Who was it that was writing a couple years ago about a pilot who'll take you into any lake you want, but don't dare ask him things like "Where's the hot spot?" or try to take too much stuff or do anything unusual ?

BCrams
05-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Bruce McNaughton out of Dease Lake. However, he would still be reluctant to take you into certain areas and at one time he aligned himself with the Bradfords and you'd have a hard time getting in there too.

Long time repeat clients with Bruce usually got their lake to themselves and Bruce wouldn't take anyone else in while they were hunting.

kutenay
05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
My close friend and frequent hunting partner was living in Dease some time ago and he went hunting with a buddy in Bradford's concession, as a legal B.C. resident. They were "strafed" by a plane flying far too close to them and then buzzing the sheep they had located; I AM NOT saying who this was as I do not have positive proof, but, this is not the first instance of this type of behaviour I have been told of.

So, do we allow these GOs, some of whom are "frontmen" for wealthy foreign owners of GO outfits to harass OUR wildlife and ruin OUR opportunities for hunting where we want to in OUR province?

This is one of many reasons why I think that an end to foreign hunting in B.C. might be our best option. Why should a BC resident be treated like an intruder in his/her own land?

Gateholio
05-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Maybe a shot across the bow?:mrgreen:

BCrams
05-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Kutenay - they probably weren't kidding.

It happened to me when Dale Drinkal buzzed right above my head as I lay on a ridge glassing a band of 7 rams with a couple big rams in the bunch before the opener. He proceeded to fly for 10 minutes in the basin area and proceeded to spook the rams out of there. Never found em again.

Tuffcity
05-29-2007, 03:24 PM
buzzed right above my head as I lay on a ridge glassing a band of 7 rams with a couple big rams in the bunch before the opener. He proceeded to fly for 10 minutes in the basin area and proceeded to spook the rams out of there

Yet one more reason to pack a small lightweight video camera...

RC

kutenay
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I would consider such behaviour an assault upon my person and I would react with whatever force I felt necessary at that time. I consider Gate's post quite appropriate as I keep hearing this same thing from guys whom I trust as reliable and it is NOT acceptable.

I think that a formal complaint to the GOABC might be well-advised, mentioning that PUBLIC perception of non-resident hunting is NOT very favourable NOW and such behaviour, if widely reported in the media, could well bring about a ban on such activity. Screw them, Drinkall, etc. DO NOT have any special rights over OUR wildlife!!!

Send Gates, in pink tutu with spear up there and scare the cr*p outa ém!!!

Gateholio
05-29-2007, 03:32 PM

RC

Or a mortar....:mrgreen:

BCrams
05-29-2007, 03:34 PM

RC

Thats not all. He was mocking me too. I stood up standing and raised my hands in the air with a "What the F***" motion when he turned around and flew straight at me at eyeball level.....when he was about 80 yards out and still coming straight at me, he banked into the basin again and circled all over.

BCrams
05-29-2007, 03:38 PM
I would consider such behaviour an assault upon my person and I would react with whatever force I felt necessary at that time.

I did report it and he got himself a pretty stern warning. I should have had the camera out for more proof as he claimed he was just sight seeing.

Gateholio
05-29-2007, 03:44 PM
With so many smaller video cams these days, and the fact that they are so common in the bush these days, and internet information so readily available, any outfitter that does this shit is really risking it...

kutenay
05-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Yup, this is exactly what my buddy said, they evidently flew right at him on a very narrow ridge which could have caused him to fall. This guy is 39, fit, has climbed all over the world as well as hunted on various continents. He is a BC res., Canadian citizen and was REALLY pizzed, he almost fired at the plane.

I think that I am going to get a small video cam and a digital cam. too, I believe in standing up for our rights and evidence would help in a civil or criminal court action.

Kechika
05-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Ive heard of a certian g/o cutting loose peoples horses.

GoatGuy
05-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Back to the topic at hand.

I know Scoop has a super cub, but I'm not sure if it's used as part of the Northern Rockies Charter License or not. Without the 185 it may be.

Apparently it's quite a little performer.

Phone:

(250) 491-1885

Kechika
05-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Sorry for the highjack...Will Darwin be flying this year?

GoatGuy
05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Aside from the topic, yes that kind of stuff does happen - it isn't every outfitter though.

Take a camera and take video - there are plenty of air laws out there too for harassing wildlife as well as provincial stuff.

Don't let it stop you from going hunting.:mrgreen:

Will
05-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Take a camera and take video - there are plenty of air laws out there too for harassing wildlife
This was my thought when I heard about this........anyone doing these stunts certainly does not have the animal's interests at heart........better to spook them and possibly have them injure themselves etc. then to have someone else Hunt them ????
Any Pilot doing that needs a kick in the Nut$ :twisted:

IMO of course:-D

boxhitch
05-29-2007, 10:04 PM
I was told that the reason for the demise of the use of super cubs and the like, is that the spots clients want to go are the worst possible, from a pilots point of view. Many charters are not willing to put them selves throught that wringer, when they can make safer money. Actually a couple even have dropped some of the 'dicey' stops off of their listed stops for a Beaver or 185.

boxhitch
05-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Sorry for the highjack...Will Darwin be flying this year?
Dr. says 'No', but what does he know ?! Darwin is already at Scoop.

GoatGuy
05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
I was told that the reason for the demise of the use of super cubs and the like, is that the spots clients want to go are the worst possible, from a pilots point of view. Many charters are not willing to put them selves throught that wringer, when they can make safer money. Actually a couple even have dropped some of the 'dicey' stops off of their listed stops for a Beaver or 185.

Sounds about right.

Angus wouldn't fly the 185 with anything out of of one of the lakes I was at last year either - pucker factor's just too high plus dirty winds.

Cam Drinnan also has a super cub parked up in Whitehorse at black sheep aviation. Not sure if he burns gas in the summer.

Probably worth a try.

Gateholio
05-29-2007, 10:53 PM

I've been in a Beaver and a 185...

maybe you aviation guys could explain the different aircraft for the masses.. (Goat Guy):mrgreen:

ryanb
05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Well the reason I asked was because as far as I knew there were not any non-G/O associated operators flying supercubs anymore. I've heard from more than a few people that there is a real void in that niche market and that's why I asked if there would be any demand for a service like that. More specifically, one without obligations to protect outfitter's territories.

Gatehouse, a beaver is manufactured by De Havilland, has a 450hp radial engine and can carry about 1600+ pounds of payload or 6 passengers and some gear. A 185 is made by cessna, has a 6 cylinder 300 horse engine and usually carries 3 passengers, or about 1000lbs of payload.

A supercub can take 1 passenger or about 300 pounds of gear, but can take off from tiny gravel bars or very small lakes.

GoatGuy
05-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Well the reason I asked was because as far as I knew there were not any non-G/O associated operators flying supercubs anymore. I've heard from more than a few people that there is a real void in that niche market and that's why I asked if there would be any demand for a service like that. More specifically, one without obligations to protect outfitter's territories.

Gatehouse, a beaver is manufactured by De Havilland, has a 450hp radial engine and can carry about 1600+ pounds of payload or 6 passengers and some gear. A 185 is made by cessna, has a 6 cylinder 300 horse engine and usually carries 3 passengers, or about 1000lbs of payload.

A supercub can take 1 passenger or about 300 pounds of gear, but can take off from tiny gravel bars or very small lakes.

Cam isn't a g/o but you're right in BC there aren't any OCs running cubs that I can think of.

There may be an opportunity there!

It's a risky business - I can think of a couple super cubs and their pilots that are permanently occupying sheep country.

Here's a link

http://www.bigrockslongprops.com/

Buy the videos!

GoatGuy
05-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Ryan's right about the birds.

My take is the 185s a 2 pass plane plus gear and is scarry on short water. Teeny wings and definitely not a powerhouse on floats. 180s on floats are built for the prairies!:mrgreen:

No time on the beaver but my buddies said you can sink the floats and get them off the water any day of the week. Major performers and still the industry standard.

Super cubs can haul a pile of gear (4 quarters of a moose I've been told) and are the ultimate for STOL - short take off and land b/c it's light has big wings and good power. The husky, Maul M-5 and bellanca scout are in that world but require some pretty good mods to really compete.

Other favorites are the Wilga and the Super Stinson, both major performers, can haul gear, and cruise at over 100kts.

The Wilga's my dream plane! 8)

Gateholio
05-29-2007, 11:54 PM

Ryan, what is the plane you generally fly? Or do you lease a few etc?

I've been in beavers, 185's and also a couple of larger float planes, that take 8 or 15 ish passengers..Both 2 engine planes. I never got the name of them, I was too interested int he scenery and the fishing!!:-D

i could see a supercub being a really cool asset to a hunter and his buddy!:mrgreen:

Gateholio
05-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Ryan's right about the birds.

My take is the 185s a 2 pass plane plus gear and is scarry on short water. Teeny wings and definitely not a powerhouse on floats. 180s on floats are built for the prairies!:mrgreen:

No time on the beaver but my buddies said you can sink the floats and get them off the water any day of the week. Major performers and still the industry standard.

Super cubs can haul a pile of gear (4 quarters of a moose I've been told) and are the ultimate for STOL - short take off and land b/c it's light has big wings and good power. The husky, Maul M-5 and bellanca scout are in that world but require some pretty good mods to really compete.

Other favorites are the Wilga and the Super Stinson, both major performers, can haul gear, and cruise at over 100kts.

What does a Wilga cost? Over 200K?

GoatGuy
05-30-2007, 12:22 AM
What does a Wilga cost? Over 200K?

There was on sold by an retired outfitter (from outfitting anyway) I know for less than 100K but it had the polish radial engine which is junk. There are companies doing STC's to convert to a lycoming but I'd imagine it'd be around $60K or more for it.

The new ones were supposed to have the lycoming in them but the Cadets were supposed to get one here and apparently the order was cancelled because the manufacturer went under. $200K+ on floats sounds about right for that kind of plane, $250K certainly wouldn't surprise me.

boxhitch
05-30-2007, 05:15 AM
I've heard from more than a few people that there is a real void in that niche market and that's why I asked if there would be any demand for a service like that. .
I can see there being a demand, and those interested maay pay a good fee to get where no one else can. I can see the problem being the size of this friggin province ! Where does one set up ? The small puddles are spread out a long ways apart, with larger lakes scattered amongst them. Air time could be too long to have a good payload. Fuel stops are few and far between.
BC can't be compared to the traffic in Alaska, things are diff there. More people, lessa rea. More nutbar pilots, by the sound of things too!

338 winmag
05-30-2007, 06:11 AM
I remember a few years back a guy was flying hunters in with a supercub off a private strip somewhere between PG and Ft St john for a good price , talked to him a few times but he ended up flying into a side of a mountain and killed himself , if i remember correctly there were a few hunters left stranded in the mountains.

BCrams
05-30-2007, 06:55 AM

Come on, why stop there??

The Turbo Beaver will out perform the piston beaver by a long shot and will land on lakes that a cub / husky can land on and get off with way more power and climbing ability. Not to mention, way more payload. Throw some big a$$ tundras and you can do the gravel bars, short strips with it too.

The turbo gets my vote.

The Hermit
05-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Geesh and here I thought $2K for a gun was rich! ;-) I'm a pilot too, long time out of the seat though. A couple days after I win the big lotto I am going to be setting myself up!

GoatGuy
05-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Come on, why stop there??

The Turbo Beaver will out perform the piston beaver by a long shot and will land on lakes that a cub / husky can land on and get off with way more power and climbing ability. Not to mention, way more payload. Throw some big a$$ tundras and you can do the gravel bars, short strips with it too.

The turbo gets my vote.

Maybe I shoud say practical dreamplane.

If you only have $1M you can't spend it all on a plane!:shock:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Too bad John Graham packed it in as soon as he did. Someone told me to take advantage of his service ASAP. Little did we know....................

SSS

358mag
05-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Cam isn't a g/o but you're right in BC there aren't any OCs running cubs that I can think of.

There may be an opportunity there!

It's a risky business - I can think of a couple super cubs and their pilots that are permanently occupying sheep country.

Here's a link

http://www.bigrockslongprops.com/

Buy the videos!
that what type call balls to the walls flying !!!!!!

Sitkaspruce
06-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Too bad John Graham packed it in as soon as he did. Someone told me to take advantage of his service ASAP. Little did we know....................

SSS

Yea it was too bad. I flew with him a couple of times and we were set up to go with him and his Super Cub for a little bou' hunt as well. Great pilot and a great person as well.

I have also flown with Northern Lights Air out of Smithers, at one time they were stationed at Dease, but I do not think so anymore. They had a turbo otter and it could take three guys, all out gear and three caribou and still had room for a party in the back. Great plane.

With the cost of gas going through the roof, I wonder how many charters the guys will do this year as compared the past years?

brno375
06-02-2007, 10:27 AM
GG, what about the Helio Courier?

I think there is some demand for an independant air service for hunting the north, and a PA-18-160 with tundra tires would be the ticket for dropping sheep hunters up on the mountains. However, once the season is over, how do you keep the cash flowing with that plane? A C-185 or a DH-2 is more versatile and would probably be a better choice. Also, what people want, and what they are willing to pay for are two different things.

If a g/o holds the transporter/packing license and they refuse to fly residents, could they not be sued for discrimination?

30-06
06-02-2007, 10:39 AM
i just got a little digital/video camera for christmas.it isnt big but can take lots of videos/pictures.its just perfect

GoatGuy
06-02-2007, 10:40 AM
GG, what about the Helio Courier?

Yes, an awesome plane, unbelieveable really.

Used to be one in Dawson Creek quite a few years ago- one of my buddies has got a couple hundred hours on one and he said they're major performers, pretty wild to fly too.

Problem is they aren't behind every bush - most of them have been crashed into rivers, lakes, sandbars, we'll you get the idea.

boxhitch
06-02-2007, 11:29 AM
If a g/o holds the transporter/packing license and they refuse to fly residents, could they not be sued for discrimination?
Transporter/Packer issue seems to cover only a few operations in reg.7, kind of an elitist thing. Charter Air services do not fall undr the same guidelines, I beleive.

I think by law, they cannot refuse a service, but may become 'too busy', all of a sudden, to take booking. Tough to prove 'discrimination'.
I hear thats what it is like at Atlin, to try and get a flight to , say, Taku River.

Gateholio
06-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I think by law, they cannot refuse a service, but may become 'too busy', all of a sudden, to take booking. Tough to prove 'discrimination'.
I hear thats what it is like at Atlin, to try and get a flight to , say, Taku River.

Time for half a dozen hunters to get together wiht a few grand each and buy a plane?

:wink:

ryanb
06-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Keep your eyes open in the coming year(s) ;)

GoatGuy
06-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Heard through the grape that Angus bought a super cub - he'll probably be operating it out of Watson.

Buck
03-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Arise from the dead.Do we have any Supercub charters here in BC yet.I have a nice sand bar i want to land on for a float.

whitetailsheds
03-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Heard through the grape that Angus bought a super cub - he'll probably be operating it out of Watson.
Sorry to sidetrack Buck, but since this thread is active again......Urs told me last fall that Angus is no longer around in Watson. True or not, personally I do not know, but this was the second time I had heard this.
Too bad.......

tangozulu
03-23-2013, 09:35 AM
I think Chris would happily fly you to The Taku with his Beaver. He's a great pilot, has nice equipment and knows the area. Also the former outfitter has sold out to basicly a non hunting bunch so the area would be a good hunt. There is definately a concerted effort by outfitters to keep resi hunters off of public land all over northern BC. All that said I find some inexpierienced hunters show up with an appouling lack of proper equipment, plans or reasonable expectations. These pilots can easily get sued by leaving some of these hunters where they ask to be put.
just saying

i
Transporter/Packer issue seems to cover only a few operations in reg.7, kind of an elitist thing. Charter Air services do not fall undr the same guidelines, I beleive.

tangozulu
03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
k so everyone wants to get into small and smaller, tigher and tighter areas. Pretty sure the helicopter will be next. Just when do we darw the line. Just look at some gross pics from the NWT where helis d rop off hunters and sling back the moose. Do we really want to keep going down this road. I guarantee if we do The GO's canaffort plenty more charters than joe resi. Especially since it would be a tax deductable business expense. The sooner big tired cubs are banned the better.

Arise from the dead.Do we have any Supercub charters here in BC yet.I have a nice sand bar i want to land on for a float.

ryanb
03-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Lol...you have got to be kidding me with the last comment. Just how Do you justify banning the super cub?! What's next, the beaver? All outfitters that have puddles in sheep country that can only be landed on with super cubs are already doing so and the only competition is from the very few resident sheep hunters that have super cubs themselves.

tangozulu
03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Seems to me I said ban big tired cubs, not cubs. Again, are you sure we should keep going down this road. Any jet ranger can do a much better job.
Have you ever wondered why so many outfitters kill themselves flyin?

tangozulu
03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Don't expect to get any help from Dale......................heck I always run into his hunters outside his area. His ranch is located outside his GO area though lots of his elk are killed in his pasture. Guess that's just the way it goes, but when we are hunting outside the ranch its a bit of a gagger to still run into his crew with hunters.

Yep.

It belongs to Dale Drinkal of Terminus Mountain Outfitters.

Buck
03-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Dale Drinkall sold his outfit this year from what i hear.This is why i kickstarted this old thread.

bridger
03-23-2013, 01:37 PM

dale sold folding mtn including the ranch. Still running terminus

bridger
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
As far as some outfitters spooking sheep away from residents with super cubs that has been going on forever and will in all likely hood continue. Tough for thing for the CO'S to enforce. Had the same problem a couple of years in a row. I talked with the g/o in town and told him if he would quit harassing us I wouldn't publish an article showing the location of his sheep camps and airstrips. Worked out just fine for both of us.

03-23-2013, 02:00 PM

My friend owns a SuperCub on wheels and I have been telling him this for ages. He is just finishing up a complete restoration.

tangozulu
03-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Wow...................can't imagine how many figures would have been on that check. Now hope it aint some Texan who thinks he now ownes 6000 square miles of BC.

dale sold folding mtn including the ranch. Still running terminus

just hunt
03-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Wow...................can't imagine how many figures would have been on that check. Now hope it aint some Texan who thinks he now ownes 6000 square miles of BC.

Nope a young couple from vanderhoof bought folding mnt . not sure about there backer or if yhrre is anyone. they use to guide for cmo .

just hunt
03-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Keep your eyes open in the coming year(s) ;)

Eyes are wide open and its been a couple years!!!

boxhitch
03-23-2013, 06:35 PM
The sooner big tired cubs are banned the better.Did you post for the anti-gun lobby too? Trying to ban Cubs because they are dangerous ? Cubs will lead to Helis ? (smack forehead)

tangozulu
03-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Because I've seen GO's abuse the crap out f their airplanes I'm anti gun? go ahead and smack your head. You think it was resident sheep hunters that got helicopter sheep hunting going in the MaKenzie Mountains?..................................give your head a shake. Their was lots of cubs there too, before heli's.
(Lots of cubs crash when your trying to count rings on a ram or move them away from other hunters.

O
Did you post for the anti-gun lobby too? Trying to ban Cubs because they are dangerous ? Cubs will lead to Helis ? (smack forehead)

tangozulu
03-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Well I'm going to put that down as possitive and encouraging.

Nope a young couple from vanderhoof bought folding mnt . not sure about there backer or if yhrre is anyone. they use to guide for cmo .

03-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Because I've seen GO's abuse the crap out f their airplanes ......
(Lots of cubs crash when your trying to count rings on a ram or move them away from other hunters.

O

How are these things your problem? Just because some people are irresponsible and foolishly risk their lives doesn't mean you need to paint all cub owners/operators with the same brush.

just hunt
03-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Are you 100% on dale still running tmo bridger .iv heard differently .

bridger
03-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Not 100% one of the local outfitters said a young couple that had been guiding for dale bought folding mtn and dale still had terminus.

tangozulu
03-23-2013, 07:23 PM
My concern is for the wildlife, not the GO.
As the public ownes the wildlife it is everyones problem.

How are these things your problem? Just because some people are irresponsible and foolishly risk their lives doesn't mean you need to paint all cub owners/operators with the same brush.

03-23-2013, 07:37 PM
There are already laws dealing with those concerns.

bridger
03-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Actually choppers are necessary to access a lot of the Mackenzie mountains. Lots of remote country up there that is neither horse or super cub friendly.

Ry151
03-23-2013, 08:41 PM
If I was to have trouble like people in this form are complaining about with pilots flying reckless around me id be waiting for them when they landed to have a chat. Might take a while to catch up with them but this might help. http://wwwapps2.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/ccarcs/aspscripts/en/quicksearch.asp

1/2 slam
03-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Actually choppers are necessary to access a lot of the Mackenzie mountains. Lots of remote country up there that is neither horse or super cub friendly.

And it's LEGAL

boxhitch
03-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Because I've seen GO's abuse the crap out f their airplanes I'm anti gun?So what has that got to do with the legality of flying a Cub ? The lament sounds the same 'ban them because some idiots abuse them'
I don't care where you stand on gun laws , but to say something is bad because of how a few users choose to use them in a way you don't agree with , sounds lame.
And I certainly don't see the connection of a Cub landing on a gravel bar being bad for wildlife , short of a collision that is.

ryanb
03-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Eyes are wide open and its been a couple years!!!

You might just see me landing in a super cub soon enough, but it's only going to be my hunting partner on board. If you want to join the party, 100k for your own ought to do the trick;)

03-23-2013, 11:24 PM
ryanb - where did you do your bush/off-airport training? And $100k for a Pa-18? It better be a really nice one. :)

goinghunting
03-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Are you guys really getting into spots that are so good its worth dropping 100K on it? Seems a little stupid to me!

tangozulu
03-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Thats only 2 or 3 sheep hunts if your a GO.
Are you guys really getting into spots that are so good its worth dropping 100K on it? Seems a little stupid to me!

GoatGuy
03-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Seems to me I said ban big tired cubs, not cubs. Again, are you sure we should keep going down this road. Any jet ranger can do a much better job.
Have you ever wondered why so many outfitters kill themselves flyin?

If we're worried about people killing themselves we might as well get rid of the dr.killer as well.

No different than anything else, can't regulate stupidity.

03-24-2013, 11:49 AM

You don't have to spend $100k to get into a good Supercub. But look at it this way, a top of the line 1 ton diesel costs $70k. You drive it for 5 years and you lose +$40k. My friend bought his Supercub for $65K, iirc, about 10 years ago. He could sell it for the same price today. Of course getting a pilot's license is pretty expensive, and maintenance/inspections, hangar (if indoors), insurance etc will put you back a fair amount every year, but imo you'd still be way better off compared to buying that new 1 ton. There is also the intangible pleasures of flying.

aggiehunter
03-24-2013, 09:57 PM
come on Gate...a man of your vintage surely knows what ack ack is...a mortar would be useless...

brno375
08-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Any new developments in the last 2 years?

ryanb
08-03-2015, 05:51 AM
Still gotta drop the big bucks for your own puddle/gravel bar jumper to get into those hard to reach areas.

Edge
08-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Bruce McNaughton out of Dease Lake. However, he would still be reluctant to take you into certain areas and at one time he aligned himself with the Bradfords and you'd have a hard time getting in there too.

Long time repeat clients with Bruce usually got their lake to themselves and Bruce wouldn't take anyone else in while they were hunting.

I can see that. There's many options when filying and more than 1 group to a lake could compromise an otherwise great trip.....my $.02

brno375
08-03-2015, 07:53 AM
Still gotta drop the big bucks for your own puddle/gravel bar jumper to get into those hard to reach areas.

http://www.alpineaviationyukon.com/index.php/aircraft

I sent them an email about their Maule yesterday, hope to get a reply today.

albravo2
08-03-2015, 09:15 AM
also, check out backcountrypilot.org

great resource for back country aviation related issues.

brno375
08-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Just heard back from Alpine: the maule is $4 per mile, and they will land on gravel bars and cleared safe strips. Unfortunately, there are none in the area I want to go. The 180 on floats is $4.50 and the 206 on floats is $5.00

ryanb
08-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Just heard back from Alpine: the maule is $4 per mile, and they will land on gravel bars and cleared safe strips. Unfortunately, there are none in the area I want to go. The 180 on floats is $4.50 and the 206 on floats is $5.00

So what are you looking for? A plane for a short lake or? A good pilot and a very lightly loaded beaver or otter is another option. Feel free to pm me if you need some advice on options.

brno375
08-04-2015, 09:26 PM
So what are you looking for? A plane for a short lake or? A good pilot and a very lightly loaded beaver or otter is another option. Feel free to pm me if you need some advice on options.

PM sent. A Beaver at $9.50 a mile is a little much for me for a solo trip.