PDA

View Full Version : Bow Weight Markings

SteelyDan
02-26-2016, 10:36 PM
For no particular reason I bought a new Samick Sage recurve. I ordered a #35 pound bow, thinking that it would be close to the #36 pound Howatt I usually use. I received it today and immediately strung it up and shot it. It sure seemed smooth and easy to pull, but it shot low.

I decided to measure the pull weight on a digital scale that I have using a 28" arrow. The Samick pulled #33.5.....a little weak but pretty close. This got me to wondering what the Howatt was. It pulled #39.5!!!!! No wonder the Samick seemed so soft.

I then measured some other bows I had. The Browning Wasp recurve was dead on at #49 and so was the Joey Ryan longbow at #50 pull. The little solid fibreglass Ben Pearson bow I grew up with was marked #30 pull but was actually only #25 pull.

So don't take the marked weight on your bows necessarily as the gospel truth.
SD

buddyrip
02-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Get a fast flight string for your sage. Whole different bow with it.

buddyrip
02-27-2016, 10:04 AM
what are the brace height of your bows according to specs. and would that make the difference?

SteelyDan
02-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks, I will try a fast flight string.

I still find it strange that bow draw weight can vary so much from what is marked on the bow. Measuring the weight isn't rocket science.
SD

Foxtail
02-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Mass produced bows can be off by a few pounds. When a bow is off by a lot it is usually not because the bowyer could not get it close to the labelled weight but probably more because it was mislabelled. Most factory bows were only sold in 5# increments so the factories pumping them out are going to go for the "close enough" mentality instead of scrapping a limb or bow. The custom or higher end bows are more likely to be spot on for draw weight.

greybark
02-27-2016, 08:56 PM
My B Widows and quite a few others came in at exact poundage with a few at + or_ 1 lb .
Cheers

OutsyderBC
02-28-2016, 10:45 PM
My B Widows and quite a few others came in at exact poundage with a few at + or_ 1 lb .
Cheers

Ken, Doesn't cost a few extra dollars to get it closer though? Like within a pound instead of within a few?

greybark
02-29-2016, 10:42 PM
HI Marc , you are correct . generally they offer +/_ 2 lb . A charge of $25 gets you +/_ 1lb . I figured for the $25 they would be right on and all were and quite a few others I know of were the same . $75 gets you exact poundage for those who demand it . $25 - heck of a deal .
Scout looks great !!!!
Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
03-27-2016, 12:28 PM
For no particular reason I bought a new Samick Sage recurve. I ordered a #35 pound bow, thinking that it would be close to the #36 pound Howatt I usually use. I received it today and immediately strung it up and shot it. It sure seemed smooth and easy to pull, but it shot low.

I decided to measure the pull weight on a digital scale that I have using a 28" arrow. The Samick pulled #33.5.....a little weak but pretty close. This got me to wondering what the Howatt was. It pulled #39.5!!!!! No wonder the Samick seemed so soft.

I then measured some other bows I had. The Browning Wasp recurve was dead on at #49 and so was the Joey Ryan longbow at #50 pull. The little solid fibreglass Ben Pearson bow I grew up with was marked #30 pull but was actually only #25 pull.

So don't take the marked weight on your bows necessarily as the gospel truth.
SD

throw a twist or 2(or 6) into your string and get it stacked a bit more ...

untwist your howattt string to unstack the predraw

SteelyDan
03-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Bowzone Mike....are you saying that changing the brace height (string length) will change the draw weight of the bow????
SD

Bowzone_Mikey
04-02-2016, 05:44 PM
It can depending upon design ... because your limbs are pre loaded more so the limbs flex more to get to the same point (draw lenth) with recurve style ... not so much with long bow

the average person wont really feel the differance ... its not like your gonna gain 5 pounds ... you may grab up to a pound at full draw

greybark
04-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Twisting or untwisting your string will change your brace height but the bows poundage at your draw length will remain exactly the same . The increase of brace height actually decreases the amount of string arrow time (distance) and a slight drop in arrow speed .
Some bowyers trick out low brace heights to claim advertising speeds .
Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
04-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Twisting or untwisting your string will change your brace height but the bows poundage at your draw length will remain exactly the same . The increase of brace height actually decreases the amount of string arrow time (distance) and a slight drop in arrow speed .
Some bowyers trick out low brace heights to claim advertising speeds .
Cheers

You may want to re think that and this time use physics, geometry and a good hand held bow scale because what you said is polar opposite to my albeit limited expiriance

when you twist up you lenthen brace ... but as you lenthen brace you shorten tip to tip and preload the limbs more ... and brace does not change nearly as much as tip to tip

take the same set of limbs and put em on a shorter riser and what is the result at your draw lenth .... higher draw weight ... because your string angle is more accute.

I havent found a notable differance on longbows ... but it is certainly measurable on recurves

greybark
04-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Mikey , your right , the increases are very slight . LB - 6 - 6 1/4in =1 ounce increase . RC - 7-7 I/4 increase =0 t0 1/2 ounce increase . 7-8 in increase = 2 0unces . The tests were done by one of the most prominent bowyers in NA , and not me . LOL
Cheers