PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else excited for spring bear?

scotty30-06
02-26-2016, 03:28 PM
All these threads about politics....lets hear som spring bear plans....tips tricks....and all th fun stuff

adriaticum
02-26-2016, 03:34 PM
I am, damn it.

warnniklz
02-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Looks like I'm taking out my brother for G-bearss.... That's really exciting!!

Moe.JKU
02-26-2016, 03:44 PM
I'm more excited for turkey's this year, but I will still go for bears 2 times I think.

02-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Yup, gotta do my share of predator control ....... Hope too save some deer or maybe even a moose this spring.

Cant wait.

Carrollizer
02-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Can't wait, this'll be the first year I'm actually on bear patrol, I figure going up to the Pemberton area around Key Hole Hot Springs might yield a good harvest. Unless anyone says there isn't good hunting up there and hope they could point me to the right area...

Fella
Hope to get at least 1 bear this year. Usually go on an extended weekend trip with some buds, hope it happens this year!

landphil
Mmmm, slow cooker bear roast in Tomato gravy, mmm, mmmm, mmm. Definetly looking forward to it, I don't think there's a bear roast left in the freezer at the moment.

russm86
02-26-2016, 04:02 PM
Yea, spring bear season can't get here soon enough!

scotty30-06
02-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Nice glad to see all the excitement boys.....im stoked....i have one bear planned for hope area......and I have had my eye on a huge Chilliwack bear that I'm pretty excited to go after....gonna try my hand at making a bunch of smoked bear bacon....man I can't wait

scotty30-06
02-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Good to see so many guys gearing up....all the fawns and calves will be thanking us

Fella
02-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Not to mention bear meat is delicious.

HarryToolips
02-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Mmmm, slow cooker bear roast in Tomato gravy, mmm, mmmm, mmm. Definetly looking forward to it, I don't think there's a bear roast left in the freezer at the moment.
Sounds awesome, lets hear the recipe!!
For me this spring, I'm most likely just hunting local spots I know, grassy hills, powerlines etc..one plan that excites me though is one area that I haven't hunted much, should be grassing up come april, west facing slope, a back pack hunt close to home, cant wait..other than that come about May a buddy and I have a higher elevation spot that produced just a huge hog of a black bear on his T-cam last spring, I will try to get a pic for you guys soon here..

Ltbullken
02-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Always take a blackie on my griz hunt. Typically get them on grass/clover patches. The more clover the better. Young new clover is the best. Smokies of various kinds are the best!

FortBoy
02-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah! just gotta finish up all the bear meat in the freezer from last spring lol. will prob head up to my usual spot, produces. might take a trip up to RJ's back yard though since i plan to do a bow hunt for mulies there come fall, figure i should go take a pred out of there aswell.

02-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Smoked hams are terrific ! Never go wrong with the bear meat sausage fest .

I have aves usually harvested fall bear ....... Are any of you finding them loaded with ticks in late May June ?
Nasty little pricks ........ Don't want no Lymes desease ....... Never seen them on my fall bears but have on my deer and moose

scotty30-06
02-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Haven't seen them down here on the coast....atleast none that I have seen....yea wanna have some bear ham for big family BBQ...hoping it turns out awesome

markomoose
02-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Did bear summer sausage last year.Was superb.Where is that recipe??

Fella
02-26-2016, 05:48 PM

I have aves usually harvested fall bear ....... Are any of you finding them loaded with ticks in late May June ?
Nasty little pricks ........ Don't want no Lymes desease ....... Never seen them on my fall bears but have on my deer and moose
The last two years we've gotten bears in late May. Not a tick to be found

Wentrot
Very excited. Couldn't get an opportunity for a shot out of the few seen last year. Hoping to see far more this spring-really hurt my mojo having such difficulties finding a black bear lol

scotty30-06
Ooohhhh God I can't wait for bear sausages.....goddamn I'm getting hungry

swampthing
02-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Gots a whole week off work for my hunt. A couple of my best hunt partners comin with. Will be a great week in some awesome country with some great people. A bear would just be icing on the cake!

300H&H
02-26-2016, 06:35 PM
I am not excited at all.
Honestly I have the WORST luck when it comes to bears !
BC has a huge population of bears but I can't find them.

It's almost as if they are mocking me....

http://thetango.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/14-UCZb0Zb-620x465.jpg

leadpillproductions
02-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Yup 4 draws for g bears , time to go learn some new spots

emerson
02-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Hell yes. Can't be here soon enough.

two-feet
02-26-2016, 07:05 PM
It will be me, 2 buddies and 7 kids below 6 years old. Not a fan of road hunting but its a pretty tough stalk with all those kids! Hoping to bring out a new hunter or two bear hunting as well.

When the season starts there are always multiple threads from newer hunter about not being able to find bears in the lower mainland; head north folks! We have lots of bears to share. Not uncommon to see 10 a day. Anybody that is willing to come anywhere close to Smithers I will tell you areas that hold lots.

Smoked bear hams, breakfast sausages, pepperoni......

two-feet
02-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Looks like I'm taking out my brother for G-bearss.... That's really exciting!!
Terrace area or?

Wentrot
02-26-2016, 07:24 PM
I am not excited at all.
Honestly I have the WORST luck when it comes to bears !
BC has a huge population of bears but I can't find them.

It's almost as if they are mocking me....

http://thetango.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/14-UCZb0Zb-620x465.jpg

X2 buddy....x2

chris
02-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Always take one in may. Sometimes 2. With bears I see lots by the beginning of may but seldom earlier. OK

carson
02-26-2016, 07:56 PM
It'll be the first year for me! I'd like to head up Pitt Lake. Any one who wants to help point a newbie in the right direction - please come with! I've got a boat and I'm eager to learn. Good luck to all!

Ride Red
02-26-2016, 08:00 PM
Bear pepperoni, gotta love it!!!

moosinaround
02-26-2016, 08:09 PM
I never got a spring grizz, and my freezer is still full of last years critters, so no bear hunting for me this spring................NOT!!! I'll be pretty particular in the bear I take this spring! Nice color phase 7' is what I'm looking for!! Moosin

scoutlt1
02-26-2016, 08:17 PM
Never had the time to get out for the spring bear hunt.
This year I'm making the time though....no matter what!!

I'm thinking/hoping I'll be looking for some recipes... :)

300H&H
02-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Bear pepperoni, gotta love it!!!

You are 100% right...it is the best !

scotty30-06
02-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Hey Carson...pm me if you haven't found somebody yet....i would be happy to take you out.....havnt hunted Pitt Lake much but I know of some other areas....maybe explore Pitt lake together

tuner
02-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Very excited, just found out I'm drawn a grizzly in region 4/19.

scotty30-06
02-27-2016, 01:05 AM
Nice...I would live to do a grizz hunt one day...but for now I'm happy going after B bears

Wagonmaster
02-27-2016, 01:16 AM
Never hunted bears, but would love to get out hunting in the spring and not have to wait until September...just can't get past the possibility of TRICHINOSIS. Just wouldn't be able to enjoy the meat wondering if it is infected. Needlessly paranoid maybe, but it is what it is. Who knows, a couple of round worms in the cerebellum and one might decide to vote Liberal. Just not worth the risk. Will set up camp and go fishing.

nap
02-27-2016, 01:29 AM
Gots a whole week off work for my hunt. A couple of my best hunt partners comin with. Will be a great week in some awesome country with some great people. A bear would just be icing on the cake!

Thinking the same!!!

Gateholio
02-27-2016, 01:34 AM
Considering the huge predation on deer and moose that black bears inflict, I think it's incumbent upon BC hunters to hunt bears when they can. Those that complain about cow/doe seasons but refuse to hunt bears are actually hypocrites, as you will save more moose/deer by hunting bears than you will just declining a cow/doe hunt.

Political statement aside, there are a number of us in Pemberton that will be happy to help you kill a bear. No, you can't camp in our driveways and no we aren't signing up to "guide" you, but we can point you in the right direction, maybe go out with you if time allows, and maybe get you into bow only agricultural areas. No slam dunk, but if you want to try hunting in Pemberton for bears, we way be able to help you. :)

scotty30-06
02-27-2016, 03:51 AM
I will definitely be keeping that in mind Gatehouse.....you bet I will be....after I get my boar I have been chasing for 3 years now

Rackmastr
02-27-2016, 04:40 AM
Considering the huge predation on deer and moose that black bears inflict, I think it's incumbent upon BC hunters to hunt bears when they can. Those that complain about cow/doe seasons but refuse to hunt bears are actually hypocrites, as you will save more moose/deer by hunting bears than you will just declining a cow/doe hunt.

Political statement aside, there are a number of us in Pemberton that will be happy to help you kill a bear. No, you can't camp in our driveways and no we aren't signing up to "guide" you, but we can point you in the right direction, maybe go out with you if time allows, and maybe get you into bow only agricultural areas. No slam dunk, but if you want to try hunting in Pemberton for bears, we way be able to help you. :)

x2...great post. We need to get more people out there shooting some bears!!

I love it, and will be using at least one tag this spring!

nelsonob1
02-27-2016, 06:23 AM
Very excited, just found out I'm drawn a grizzly in region 4/19.

x2 - see you out there. we saw eight grizzlies in 4;19 last year. one was a bus.

jtred
02-27-2016, 07:16 AM
My hunting partner and I will be backpacking up into a really nice southern exposure road closure for the third spring running. We've got a really nice camp set up with an incredible view of Kootenay lake. Great hiking and lots of bears makes for a memorable hunt. The first year up there we were coming back from an afternoon glassing session and surprised a nice bear right in camp, unfortunately we were doing more chatting then looking and the bear saw us before we saw him. I stalked to within 30-40m and shot a bear last spring on our way out, my first bear.

tuner
02-27-2016, 09:24 AM
x2 - see you out there. we saw eight grizzlies in 4;19 last year. one was a bus.
Great to hear Nelsonob1, I'll be giving my buddy Jason who lives in Nelson a call with an invite, this will be first time grizzly hunting,have put in for many years and this is first draw.

TysonVM
02-27-2016, 10:12 AM
thanks to sum-hunter i got me a black bear late last year, so no bears this year unless one comes at me! i am excited to do turkey and maybe a pig hunt.

nelsonob1
02-27-2016, 10:14 AM
Great to hear Nelsonob1, I'll be giving my buddy Jason who lives in Nelson a call with an invite, this will be first time grizzly hunting,have put in for many years and this is first draw.

Send me a PM closer to the time you are hunting and I will give you what intel with have. Last year we found that they were concentrated in few drainages. I will be scouting starting beginning of April, then doing the main hunt beginning of May.

LYKTOHUNT
02-27-2016, 10:26 AM
I am usually excited to get out bear hunting but hope like hell we never see any (dont want to get all hot and dirty ) its just an excuse to get out and do some camping scouting and whatever but this year I think myself and the other guys will try to actually get some bears, for the sole reason of predator control, I know they are the biggest threat to fawns and calves. I also like bear pepperoni so its a win win.
Even got me a new close in fightin bear buster a new to me Husky 9.3x57, not that I really needed it but seemed like a good excuse to get another rifle.

caddisguy
02-27-2016, 03:30 PM
Never hunted bears, but would love to get out hunting in the spring and not have to wait until September...just can't get past the possibility of TRICHINOSIS. Just wouldn't be able to enjoy the meat wondering if it is infected. Needlessly paranoid maybe, but it is what it is. Who knows, a couple of round worms in the cerebellum and one might decide to vote Liberal. Just not worth the risk. Will set up camp and go fishing.

Needlessly paranoid IMHO :) Think about it this way. Yes, a large percentage of bears are carrying trichinosis and often worse. If you take a close look at bear scat, you will often see little white chunks about the size of a tooth. These are tapeworm segments. Not helping so far am I? lol ... but what I am getting at, is that all of these things go away by cooking it through. Internal temperature of 165F is instant death for trich. Even an internal temperature of 145F for a couple minutes kills trich.

Consider the grocery store. The majority of ground beef has e. coli. A large percentage of chicken has salmonella. There are a number of parasites in seafood that can put a hurt on you too. These things can mess you up just as bad. Cooking makes it all safe.

Now lets talk about worst case scenario. You under-cooked your bear and get infected with trich. The majority of trich infections are so benign, they actually asymptomatic. The severity of a trich infection usually depends on how many cysts you ingested. Unless, you are eating bear sushi or blue steaks, the odds are you will not get a severe infection, perhaps some abdominal discomfort and soreness for a few weeks and the symptoms subside. I consider the odds too... 30% chance bear has trich, 1% chance I'll undercook some, 50% chance that would lead to an infection, 1% chance it's actually going to mess me up bad or kill me. Not a math guru, I think Vegas odds of those events all coinciding for the perfect storm means somewhere around 1/3000000 of round worms in the cerebellum.

But back to the grocery store... tapeworms, salmonella, e. coli. All of those things can put an equal amount of hurt on you or even kill you. I do not see an increased risk in bear (even one with trich) versus ground beef, chicken or seafood.

Hope that helps man. Bear burgers are amazing. Probably the best patties I have ever had and absolutely and absolutely no way anyone would suspect it was not some awesome beef if you didn't tell them. We harvested one last May and ate 2-4 meals every week for the entire year, everything from burgers and tacos to steakbites, stir-fry and roasts, We are down to about 10lbs and can't wake to get back out there for another one. Definitely looking forward to bear season... just hope my hands don't shake when I put my sights on what is to me a delicious walking burger factory!! :)

The only thing I dislike about bear season which can also be a health hazard is ticks. In the area I hunt, they are absolutely horrible. Probably a dozen or so bites last year and caught a few dozen crawling on me... learned my lesson about how I hunt bears in my area; I avoid the brush best I can and sit/wait in semi-open areas with sign... let them come to me instead of hiking around too much to find them.

scallywag
02-27-2016, 06:50 PM
I excite to pull out the predator calls. Called a few bears in last year really close o

RackStar
02-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Excited for hunting!! Nahh.. No way... I'd rather read hbc and watch tv.. Ha-ha
Doing my usual weekend spring hunts and a 5 day grizzly hunt end of May. Hell ya I'm stoked

epicZERO74
02-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Nice to see a thread that relates to hunting on Hunting BC! That's not something you see everyday!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2016, 07:21 PM

My daughter's late April bear from two years ago was loaded with ticks.

Brambles
02-27-2016, 07:27 PM
I aim on taking a couple bears, maybe it's time for my wife to buy a hunting license again and shoot something too.

my wife just said if I learn to knit a dishcloth, she'll shoot a bear.....looks like I'm gonna learn to knit.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2016, 07:27 PM
I absolutely love spring bear hunting. It's a great way to get rid of cabin fever.

Spring in in the mountains of BC is a great time and place to be!!

tigrr
02-27-2016, 09:43 PM
I would like to put some bear meat in the freezer. My hunting area had 30 black bears in it in the fall of 2014. 2015 and very few black bears and now 7 grizzly's.

Last springs black bear made 23, 4 -7 lb roasts. 95 pounds of just lean meat. Over half gone and 3 months till I can restock.

KBC
02-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Anyone in the bridge lake area need an apprentice?

luger
02-28-2016, 12:55 AM
I'm absolutely stoked for spring bear. I only have 20 smokes and a few pounds of hamburger left from last year's spring bear. This is going to be a great year of hunting!

Vladimir Poutine
02-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Local sighting yesterday. Already?

Drillbit
02-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Good to see so many guys gearing up....all the fawns and calves will be thanking us

Absolutely!!

Bigd74
02-28-2016, 07:23 PM
This is my first year hunting, and hope to get a spring bear. Hope I can find one b

Drillbit
02-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Local sighting yesterday. Already?

My brother saw one in Trail on Feb 17th. Early spring this year

landphil
02-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Sounds awesome, lets hear the recipe!!

It is pretty awesome - onions and carrots together with the tomato gravy go really well, and you can cut the meat with the side of your fork - "the Wife" is in charge of that department and I couldn't find the recipe - I'll post it when I can get my grubby paws on it.

I think I'm going to test the effects of a 210 grain .338 TTSX on a BB this spring since my .338WM still hasn't drawn blood, a problem that urgently need rectifying.

landphil
02-28-2016, 08:08 PM
My daughter's late April bear from two years ago was loaded with ticks.

Ditto - mine was later May at high elevation, lots of 'em creepy buggers. Same with the one's my brother has taken in May recent years

I absolutely love spring bear hunting. It's a great way to get rid of cabin fever.

Spring in in the mountains of BC is a great time and place to be!!

And ditto again, getting out it them there hills, busting through snowdrifts and clearing blowdowns from the road to open it up for the first time that year, the fresh spring air, warm sun and cool breezes... Love it.

hardnocks
02-28-2016, 08:37 PM
hack i am goose hunting so no cabin fever .i am going for turkeys and look for a bear at the same time . we were talking in the goose blind today about heading into tum tum lake for bear .

Alienation
02-28-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm definitely excited for some spring bear, haven't been hunting for them but would love some bear pepperoni and sausage

Camp Cook
02-29-2016, 07:07 AM
My brother saw one in Trail on Feb 17th. Early spring this year

This is the info I am looking for.

I've been thinking bears are going to start coming out early this year.

I'm planning on hunting along the banks of the Fraser River this spring my buddy and his family have a 2500 acre ranch I have almost exclusive hunting rights on in the down time I am going to do some sturgeon fishing from the bank.

I'm not excited about bear hunting yet still in coyote hunting mode... :)

smallfry14
02-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Got my first bow in the off season so I'm looking to get an archery black bear this spring. Never hunted spring bear before and never got a bow kill before, should be fun. If anyone has honey holes for black bears in the Clearwater area feel free to pm me ;)

ACE
02-29-2016, 08:05 AM
Have been out looking throughout the week ... (retired)
The places where they show up early.
Nothing yet .... Ladysmith and surrounding area.

Weatherby Fan
02-29-2016, 08:09 AM
Have been out looking throughout the week ... (retired)
The places where they show up early.
Nothing yet .... Ladysmith and surrounding area.

Seen a sow and a cub a cpl days back out towards Mission, so there up and about already.

scotty30-06
02-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Saw a small female in Chilliwack Valley on the way up.....and sow and cub on the way out right on the Chilliwack river

scotty30-06
02-29-2016, 02:04 PM
And that was Saturday this past weekend

MichelD
02-29-2016, 02:09 PM
I am excited even though my Mrs. is complaining about what the heck are gonna do with all that deer meat in the freezer.

Have a young buddy who's eager to shoo this first bear so I'm up for that.

But I know from experience and a lot of burned gas for nothing that there's no point in going off half-cocked , so I probably won't even go for a first trip until around May 10.

Unless you guys start posing pics of dead bears starting April 15. Some of my spots will still be under snow though.

scotty30-06
02-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Yea...gonna be a bit early but who knows...may is a safe bet

Xenomorph
02-29-2016, 03:19 PM

Completely agree with you there bud. Our hunting group got 3 black bears last year. I missed on another opportunity on #2, but in the words of my buddy that would've been a full horseshoe up my you-know-what.

Already geared up for the bears, will try to take at least one.

scotty30-06
03-01-2016, 12:47 AM
I wonder on average how many fawns and calves your average bear eats a year....not as bad on wolves but would be interesting to see the info (if there is any)

Drillbit
03-01-2016, 01:28 AM
I wonder on average how many fawns and calves your average bear eats a year....not as bad on wolves but would be interesting to see the info (if there is any)

I've read several reports that say %50 of moose calves go to bears.

Lots of bears on region 5. Not uncommon to drive around and see 20-30 a day. It's all about timing though.

I think this spring will be tough bear hunting because there is so much green already in the bush they won't be on the sides of all the roads

scotty30-06
03-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Wow that's a lot of moose calves...couldnt imagine the deer numbers

ACE
03-01-2016, 05:32 AM
Do any of you look for 'book bears' only ... ?

Gnarly
03-01-2016, 10:44 AM
I passed up a nice Haida Gwaii hog with a great big melon of a head in the fall because I had a .270 with cheap hornady spire points in it hunting deer and just wasn't confident in the shot. Gonna go look for him this spring for a week with the .375 and do some exploring on the atv at the same time.

sawmill
03-01-2016, 10:53 AM
I passed up a nice Haida Gwaii hog with a great big melon of a head in the fall because I had a .270 with cheap hornady spire points in it hunting deer and just wasn't confident in the shot. Gonna go look for him this spring for a week with the .375 and do some exploring on the atv at the same time.

Chicken. 28 blacks and 2 Grizz with my .270 ,130 grn. core loks. And only 3 follow up shots .It`s all about placement.

Gnarly
03-01-2016, 11:17 AM
quartering front shoulder on with an interlock, pass was the best option. If I had a chance to stick it in his armpit I would have.

wideopenthrottle
03-01-2016, 11:52 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bears-hibernating-spring-2016-1.3470138

the wait may be shorter than normal

scotty30-06
03-01-2016, 06:15 PM
That's a good read....glad they are waking up earlier....could be good for April bear hunt