PDA

View Full Version : Horse Riding tips

44inchStone
02-24-2016, 09:08 PM
I'm sure this post will bring out a few ideas on newbie riders on a horseback hunt. There are alot of guys who would either like to go on a horseback trip or have one booked and have no idea what that they're getting themselves into.
A few years ago I was one of those guys. My buddy and I booked a horseback trip with a packer. It was a 3 day, 10 hour day pack trip. I'm sure other guys can admit to the pains in their back, ass and or knees.( and 4 knee surgeries still don't stop me)
I've ridden horses in the mountains before but not for 3 days straight. I'm telling you, it was a challenge. Both my buddy and I were prepared both physically and mentally but I didn't know what type of preparing I had to do for these long rides. Are there certain exercises that should be done to prepare yourself for these big wide bellied mountain horses.
After day 2 we both knew why cowboys walked bowl legged haha. Backs were sore, knees were even worse. The packer tried to adjust our stirrups to take stress off our knees but us part time horse riders felt more comfortable walking in front of our horse than be on them.
There has to be many of you riders out there that have a lot of experience in the saddle with these full bellied horses and could pass on some tips or tricks to ease the pain in the arse (literally) for us part timers. Some may laugh but many I bet understand exactly what I'm talking about.

BiG Boar
02-24-2016, 09:22 PM
You will understand why the Cowboys call you tenderfoot after the first few days. We did 70kms this year in one day straight. Yikes. Feet, and arse were hurting.

Tips? None from me. But obviously a well fitted modern saddle would make a world of difference.

bridger
02-24-2016, 09:27 PM
You will understand why the Cowboys call you tenderfoot after the first few days. We did 70kms this year in one day straight. Yikes. Feet, and arse were hurting.

Tips? None from me. But obviously a well fitted modern saddle would make a world of difference.

70 kilometres? Isn't that about 42 miles?

bridger
02-24-2016, 09:51 PM
If you are new too horse back riding before you go if at all possible take some lessons. Riding is only part of the trip. Knowing some basic horse handling is a big help. Here's a few things I learned the hardway. 1) don't put your rain coat on while riding. Stop and get off 2) learn to tie a quick release knot when tying your horse up 3) when you tie your horse up tie his lead rope at least head high 4) don't feel sorry for your horse and tie him long do he can eat. Wreck for sure. 5) Don't leave your rifle in the scabbard unattended 6) if you are crossing a river dont look at the water concentrate in the far shore. Vertigo can pull you out of the saddle 7) practice mounting and dismounting with your hunting clothes on 8) for the ride in and out get a comfortable pair of boots without heavy vibran soles. 9) wear loose fitting pants when riding so you don't chafe up. 10) get off and walk for a ways every hour or so. Saves wear and tear on your knees and butt. 10) make sure your stirrups are adjusted properly 11) talk to your horse as you approach him, let him know you are around so he doesn't spook 12) when walking around behind your horse put your hand on his rear and walk him around at arms length. Less likely to kick. 13) when you are riding along a steep hillside or cliff take your downhill foot out of the stirrup so you can bail off on the uphill side if your horse falls

rocksteady
02-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Knee pain... Stirrups too short. When standing in them flat footed, you should have about 2 fingers clearance to your nuts

dakoda62
02-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Knees hurt to short if your feet hurt to long, if you hurt all over, just right.

longstonec
02-24-2016, 10:52 PM
I always hold onto the handle.

Big Hoss
02-24-2016, 10:56 PM
The only exercise to you really do to prepare for something like that is more riding. If I take more than 2 or 3 weeks off from riding my legs kill me after the first couple rides

yama49
02-24-2016, 10:59 PM
I like long stirrups, do quite bit walking to stay warm, and stretch the body, throughout the ride.

Big Lew
02-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Everything "Bridger" said, especially practicing getting off and on, getting off and walking every now and then,
wearing loose pants, and adjusting the stirrups properly. I used to ride a big horse for endurance which involves
many hours in a day through all sorts of terrain and learned the hard way. If I was beginning, I would definitely
find a rental place to practice.

Wagonmaster
02-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Ian Fleming, the guy that wrote the James Bond books had a great saying about horses. "Dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle".

44inchStone
02-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Some great info guys.
Im not a total novice with horses and yes I have a lot of respect for these buggers. They are after all the ones that would get me home. Especially with river crossings. A little nervous when ya walk behind them without keeping one hand I their arse.
Dont need a kick.
Advil works great in the saddle too haha

J_T
02-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Time in the saddle resolves all. Physically, philosophically and spiritually. Best days spent in the mountains were in the saddle in the Rockies, day after day.
Toughen up those pin bones.

Baconator
02-25-2016, 03:26 PM
I like to wear a light pair of silk long johns, to help cut down on the saddle sores. And a pair of chaps are nice if you are going to be going through the brush or the trail has grown in.

ncurrie
02-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Start out with short rides and build up. Your body soon adjusts. When I'm out riding to the satelite or checking and moving cattle you will catch me standing up in my saddle or even not using my stirrups ( have strong thighs for a small girl). I also ride a lot of bare back to help build up muscles. But that first ride of the season is always a huge pain in the ass literally. Probably not the best advice but it has always worked for me. Taking frequent breaks and walking it out helps with the stiffness as well. Longer stirrups are usually more comfy than shorter stirrups also as I'm getting up in age I'm asking for a nice sheep skin pad for my saddle for my birthday. I would post pic of how I like my stirrups but can never post pics on this site.

Bear Chaser
02-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Good advise Bridger.
Can't say I've ever had an especially sore backside; usually it's my knees that hurt the worst.
The first three days of a hunt I tend to sleep like a baby. I sleep for an hour then I roll over and cry. After that I get used to it. Advil in the morning and liquid pain killer in the evening tends to be the prescription in our camp. Riding an exercise bike would definitely help at least to build up the muscles supporting the knees.

GoatGuy
02-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Walk a lot even when conditioned to riding.

Ambush
02-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Walk a lot even when conditioned to riding.

The only thing a horse likes better than busting your ass in the saddle is stepping on your heels as you lead him. :-x

GoatGuy
02-25-2016, 08:30 PM
The only thing a horse likes better than busting your ass in the saddle is stepping on your heels as you lead him. :-x
Only if they aren't trained properly.

Ambush
02-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Only if they aren't trained properly.

Now I have to carry extra bullets to train horses to??

bridger
02-25-2016, 09:07 PM

Well at least you only have to train them once! Lol

bridger
02-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Realistically unless you have your own horses it is tough to get in riding shape with one or two rides., but at least you get the idea. Bear chasers suggestion of riding a bike is a good one. If you have bad knees (meaning old) you can consider have your dr give you a cortisone injection in both knees, extreme but effective. But as mentioned in other posts get off and walk lots.

GoatGuy
02-25-2016, 09:27 PM

hahaha, best to train them before you head to the mountains, but not always the way things work lol.

3000 fps can be effective

NMO
02-25-2016, 10:13 PM
Don't get tossed off on top of a mountain, learned that one the hard way this season.
Some good tips in here!

frenchbar
02-26-2016, 07:26 AM
Just to add if hadnt been mentionefd..some horses ride like a cadilac with smooth shocks some ride like they have no shocks and jar the living f$$k out of you on a long trip ..but unless you ride alot your mor in likely going to be sore after a long days ride no matter what ...

frenchbar
02-26-2016, 07:29 AM
We had a horse OJ ride like a dream hardly got sore at all just because of the way she strided..

frenchbar
02-26-2016, 07:29 AM
We had a horse OJ ride like a dream hardly got sore at all just because of the way she strided....nice and smooth

bridger
02-26-2016, 07:37 AM
We had a horse OJ ride like a dream hardly got sore at all just because of the way she strided..

good point a smooth striding slab sided horse makes the ride much more comfortable. Our first horses were Percheron/ grade crosses with barrel chests. They were not all that comfortable. When I switched to Percheron- quarter horse crosses they were much more pleasant to ride.

rocksteady
02-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Cause I got a bony butt I invested in a gel seat saddle cover, similar to what you can get for bike seats. Makes a huge difference..

Foxton Gundogs
02-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Point's to remember. A "bomb proof" horse is like an "unloaded" gun it's the one that will hurt you(or worse). Trust your horse, just not to much. And always, always, remember, there's no shame in pulling leather when you're bucking in prickly pear(or anywhere else), it's more important to stay on than look good, form is for the rodeo arena.

Big Lew
02-26-2016, 10:17 AM
My best endurance horse was a 16.1 hand half quarter horse and half Standardbred.
At a slow trot it was like riding on top of a jackhammer it was so rough, but it
switched to the 'Standardbred' pacing when asked to go fast which was actually
very comfortable and non-jarring. It could pace faster then some horses usually gallop.

frenchbar
02-26-2016, 01:27 PM
good point a smooth striding slab sided horse makes the ride much more comfortable. Our first horses were Percheron/ grade crosses with barrel chests. They were not all that comfortable. When I switched to Percheron- quarter horse crosses they were much more pleasant to ride...ya we have a big barrel chested plump morgan..strong as an ox..but will pound the crap out of you after a few hrs ...

375shooter
02-26-2016, 01:35 PM
My morgan is rough in the trot, ok while walking, though.

375shooter
02-26-2016, 01:38 PM
good point a smooth striding slab sided horse makes the ride much more comfortable. Our first horses were Percheron/ grade crosses with barrel chests. They were not all that comfortable. When I switched to Percheron- quarter horse crosses they were much more pleasant to ride.

Where could a person pick up one of those Percheron-quarter horse crosses? Is there a breeder around who specializes in these?

375shooter
02-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Point's to remember. A "bomb proof" horse is like an "unloaded" gun it's the one that will hurt you(or worse). Trust your horse, just not to much. And always, always, remember, there's no shame in pulling leather when you're bucking in prickly pear(or anywhere else), it's more important to stay on than look good, form is for the rodeo arena.

I've never been on a bucking horse before but if I ever am, I'm pretty sure your warning will come to mind instantly. :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
02-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Where could a person pick up one of those Percheron-quarter horse crosses? Is there a breeder around who specializes in these?

There's usually a few out in Alberta with all the teamsters.

The harness sale in Olds usually has a couple good ones.

Not sure if Ross Peck is still selling them or not.

Personal fav is fjord/perch X or fjord/qh x for an average size horse.

bridger
02-26-2016, 01:45 PM
I bought mine from a local rancher who unfortunately passed away a few years ago and his was herd sold off. Just have to watch sites etc I guess

375shooter
02-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye out.

Good tips Bridger!

The furthest I've ever rode in 1 day was about 22 kms. I get pretty stiff when staying in the saddle for too long. As others have said, getting off to walk periodically keeps me loosened up.

Foxton Gundogs
02-26-2016, 04:52 PM
My Morgan is 14.2(with long feet and new shoes). I can sit her trot all day long. Our Belgian/AQHA is like riding a D8 cat over a rock pile but he will go all day and night, tough as nails with no quit in him the heavier you pack him the better he likes it

TUGGER
02-26-2016, 05:05 PM
1] look in to a set of swivel stirrups
2]wash you pant many times soften them up
3]dont think cowboy boots will be ok
4]bring a couple pair of panty hose
5] ride up walk down
6]the most important one of all NEVER NEVER leave your gun in the scabbard when you get off

375shooter
02-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Yeah, horses like to roll. What happens when they decide to roll while loaded with panniers or mantes? I haven't had the privilege, yet.

Wydtrak
02-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Usually you keep your eye on them. If you see them starting to lay down you holler and yell until they get up. If they are packed correctly they don't get to roll very far because your boxes hit the ground first. Most of the time they try to roll in sand or Bison beds. If your leading them it is never a problem. When the day is done and they're hobbled they usually head off to roll somewhere right away.

Saskhunter
02-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great info, I have wanted to hunt horseback for ever and now that I live in NE BC I bought a few horses and have been gearing up. I hope that in a year or two I might have the knowledge and skill to try hunting on them. I never thought to ask on here for help. Thanks to all��������

tanner
03-26-2016, 07:40 PM
There are some excellent tips on here so far, so I won't repeat the same ones. I will just add my two cents worth. When I first started in the transporter business I had occasional knee pain. When I started squatting a few year ago I noticed a HUGH difference when riding! Heavy barbell squats are probably the best way to get in shape for riding. They strengthen the knees, legs, lower back, and improve flexibility. These are all very important when riding. Use correct form when squatting, start light and work your way up. Here is a link to some pointers. http://stronglifts.com/squat/ This, in addition to a little riding experience before your big hunt will help a lot! Tanner Unruh

horshur
03-26-2016, 07:54 PM
horse steers with its hind end so to avoid being run into a tree along the trail lightly bump(turn) into the tree..turning away from the tree is a good way of insuring you get your knee smashed. Basic if you feel as if you are gonna be run into the tree turn the horses head into it he cannot run you into it while looking at it. As you go by give him his head.

frenchbar
03-26-2016, 09:31 PM
Good tip andy..one dosent take long to learn this..after their knee has being smacked a few times ...lol

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Here is a tip .. Stay off them . if they dont have a brake and a killswitch . i dont like it anymore . and i have rode a lot of horses . last time i did ., three broken ribs and a heli copter ride out . some horses dont like to cross creeks .

sawmill
03-27-2016, 03:20 AM
Why does everybody call it Horse"back" riding? Where the hell else would you want to be sitting? The front or underneath?(been there, she held a big breath when I tightened the cinch)Knee to the belly makes them loosen up.

frase
03-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Did some trail riding with good horses for a couple of years but never really caught onto it. Was just sitting on the horses one day and they were standing still while a buddy opened a gate. The horse starting bucking like crazy and I kicked out of the stirrups when my head went down to the horses shoulder. Did a flip and landed on my back. Thought I was ok but faded quickly. Managed the 1/2 hr trip back hunched over in the saddle. Went to emergencey and the last thing I remember was 1-2-3- lift, cross type blood now, 1500 cc's of ??, and a plastic tube being shoved down my throat. Woke up 3 days later in ICU. I guess I lascerted a kidney and almost bled out. A surgeon was on standby. Kidney survived. No more riding for me and while I am athletic I never really got the hang of it. Thank goodness we were not 4 hrs back as we had done on many previous occasions.

bridger
03-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Have had a packstring for forty odd years and have travelled more miles on the trail than I can remember and have had my share of wrecks. Horses can hurt you for sure, but so can quads, river boats, pick ups and airplanes.

You have to learn to drive a pick up, fly an airplane etc and you also have to learn how to ride a horse, but more importantly you have to learn something about horse behaviour. They are real live animals and have their own agenda. Understanding that avoids a lot of accidents.

tomahawk
03-27-2016, 08:08 AM
The only exercise to you really do to prepare for something like that is more riding. If I take more than 2 or 3 weeks off from riding my legs kill me after the first couple rides

The only solution to the original question is in Hoss's answer.

Mtn Wonderer
03-28-2016, 10:48 PM
I went on a 66k oneway horse trip a few years back, I am a newby. I wore a pair of padded mountain bike shorts under my gear, never got a sore butt. We had five horses each one had a different personality. On the trip I rode 4 of the five. Quite an experience. We always walked our horses down hill.