PDA

View Full Version : Alan Lever, Lever Arms

bcshadow
02-24-2016, 08:05 PM
I just noticed in the Vancouver Sun that Alan Lever founder of Lever Arms, passed away a few days ago at the age of 85. I bought my first hunting rifle (and subsequently other guns over the years) from Alan, and received excellent pricing and warm service, along with his British sense of humour.

I went to the Lever Arms website to see if they had posted anything......... the site wishes all a "Happy New Year". No need to say more than that!
I stopped dealing with Lever Arms many, many years ago. After the new ownership took place, the pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful service was gone, and never to return I have heard.

HarryGun
02-25-2016, 01:18 AM
I hate going to Lever Arms.

olympia
02-25-2016, 02:07 AM
I went to lever once, the guy gave me attitude, never went back

604Stalker
02-25-2016, 06:10 AM
Lever arms smells of mould and their staff was less than helpful to several of my friends and I very much a know what you want buy it and get the hell out attitude. I would never shop there.

btridge
02-25-2016, 08:24 AM
I just noticed in the Vancouver Sun that Alan Lever founder of Lever Arms, passed away a few days ago at the age of 85. I bought my first hunting rifle (and subsequently other guns over the years) from Alan, and received excellent pricing and warm service, along with his British sense of humour.

I went to the Lever Arms website to see if they had posted anything......... the site wishes all a "Happy New Year". No need to say more than that!
I stopped dealing with Lever Arms many, many years ago. After the new ownership took place, the pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful service was gone, and never to return I have heard.

When Alan was running it back in the early 80's, I bought a few guns from him, a very good guy.
His moto was " the only difference between men and boys is the price of there toys"

Gateholio
02-25-2016, 08:39 AM
I hate going to Lever Arms.

I went to lever once, the guy gave me attitude, never went back

Lever arms smells of mould and their staff was less than helpful to several of my friends and I very much a know what you want buy it and get the hell out attitude. I would never shop there.

Makes me wonder if any of you ever went there when Alan Lever owned it?

Surplus guns and ammo always smell musty and greasy.

Fwiw I was there yesterday. Spent $1800 on a very good deal. Staff was helpful. I went for a good deal,not to make friends :)

BCBRAD
02-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Makes me wonder if any of you ever went there when Alan Lever owned it?

Surplus guns and ammo always smell musty and greasy.

Fwiw I was there yesterday. Spent $1800 on a very good deal. Staff was helpful. I went for a good deal,not to make friends :)

A lot of people liked to be kissed while they're getting serviced.

notyalc
02-25-2016, 09:24 AM
I bought a couple guns from them probably 10 years ago or so. From what I remember the service was good and helpful. Haven't been there since mostly because it's a pain in the arse to get there, and a very tiny bit because I hear nothing but bad stuff about them these days.

Weatherby Fan
02-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Went into Lever Arms years back and asked to buy 2 Ruger M77 in 7mm rem mag,

Mr.Lever looks at me and says "why would you need 2 sir ?" one is for me and the other is a Wedding present for my older brother..........with a smile he says well sir Shotguns are Traditional !

He was great to deal with and as bcshadow says great British humour !

My condolences to the Family.
WF

bandit
02-25-2016, 11:30 AM
I live a couple of blocks from lever and have been there 5 times max. Even trying to buy a box of ammo is as painful as poking your eyes out.

Last time I was in they had a box of 25 Remington home defense shells. I said if i was defending my home why would I need 25 when 5 or 10 would do the trick? His response was sorry sir I am legally prohibited from selling you these as you intend to use them for illegal purposes.

Singleshotneeded
02-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Maybe they were decent to Mr. Clarke Gatehouse due to his celebrity status :-), but I'm with the rest of you...I went in a few years back to buy an SKS that they'd advertised a good price on, and when I asked to look at a couple more after the first one, the guy acted like I was ruining his day. I grimaced nicely and kept my temper, and grabbed a couple more to look down the barrel of...picking the one that was in the best condition. I also don't go to gun shops to make friends, but I do effing expect the staff to be at least civil to me as a customer that's spending money in their store...Lever can blow up for all I care. I'll be happy to spend my money locally in Kelowna, at my friend Scott's International Shooting Supplies in Guildford, and a bit here and there where they know how to treat their customers.

Gateholio
02-25-2016, 03:07 PM
I've heard many stories about Lever (and other stores too) and I know what people are talking about. It's just that I don't really care. Alan Lever was rude to me once and I walked out on him. He seemed to realize he had screwed up because as I was walking out he asked if he could help me and ever after he was very nice.... But I digress.

I know what people are talking about, it's just that I don't care. If they have something I want at the price I want, I go in and buy it. Yesterday I was in the store about 10 minutes. And no- Nobody there knows me anymore, unlike Alan did.

Its never been a real browser friendly store and really they could do better sales if they installed some racks to put impulse purchase items on, but they can run it how they want to.

I'm not much of a shopper. I go to a store and get what I need, maybe look at a few things in passing to see if I want something more, then leave. Works for me, YMMV

Salty
02-25-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm the same way ^ especially in the big stores. Just leave me alone TYVM while I b line to what I came in for and maybe browse some more maybe not and I'm outa here. I'm happiest with no service 9 times out of 10.

Sorry to hear of Mr. Lever's passing it sounds like he had a long and fulfilling life.

albravo2
02-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Sorry to hear of his passing.

I've been once, about five years ago, never been back.

I think their sweet spot might be the tactical or maybe the SHTF guys. Definitely not a hunter-friendly store.

I find Italian hit or miss on customer service, but generally good. I have always had excellent service at Reliable.

I walked out of Cabelas down in Tulalip a couple weeks back after crappy service, but I expect that from the big box stores. If you're small, you'd better be good.

bearheart
03-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Sad to hear this. He was a very nice fellow. I'd stop by there Saturday mornings before I went to the library to hit the books. My break from the grind at University, a long, long time ago. I think he was on Howe? back then. Always lots of treasures I couldn't afford.. rifles, pistols, weird diving helmets and bits off ships. Got a few good deals from him on those Saturdays. He said it was good luck to sell to his first customer of the day! Passed up a beautiful combination rifle one Saturday, I was young and dumb and didn't know what a fine piece it was. Did get a nice Colt Commander for some unbelievably low price one morning though, still have that one.

Nice man, a gentleman, a peaceful rest to him.

russm
03-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Maybe they were decent to Mr. Clarke Gatehouse due to his celebrity status :-), but I'm with the rest of you...I went in a few years back to buy an SKS that they'd advertised a good price on, and when I asked to look at a couple more after the first one, the guy acted like I was ruining his day. I grimaced nicely and kept my temper, and grabbed a couple more to look down the barrel of...picking the one that was in the best condition. I also don't go to gun shops to make friends, but I do effing expect the staff to be at least civil to me as a customer that's spending money in their store...Lever can blow up for all I care. I'll be happy to spend my money locally in Kelowna, at my friend Scott's International Shooting Supplies in Guildford, and a bit here and there where they know how to treat their customers.

X2 on international, however the last time I was in there i had someone I hadn't seen before and he was pushing a carbon fibre xbolt on me pretty hard which i had no interest in, i ended up going to wss and getting what i was looking for, usually ill price check at wss and end up having that price beat by international