PDA

View Full Version : Need a grizz partner!!!

mark
05-28-2007, 11:09 PM
:mad: Well after months and months of planning and 2 of us getting the same grizz LEH, Ive just recieved the final word that my grizz hunting partner has officially jammed out! We've been wating all month for the snow to melt in 6-19a (Dease lk.) I just talked to a local in Dease a couple days ago and he says things are greening up and bears are everywhere. He actually said theyre seeing more bears than ever before! So anyways, now is the time to leave on a 17 hour journey and im stuck without a partner. Ive spoke to a few of my regular hunting buds, but its just to short of notice for anyone I know. Im personaly not afraid to hunt a grizz alone, but the drive each way alone would be killer and Its not fair to my family to let them think Im out there maybe getting eaten by a grizz, nor is it smart really! I know the idea of grizz hunting with someone ya dont know inst really best scenario, but its the only option I got :(. So... if anyone here has what it takes to do this hunt, and has the time to leave maybe friday or sat. Im looking for someone to jump onboard. Ive got a new diesel, quad, all the camping stuff, thinking about going for a week if necessary, im in kelowna. Also be a great opp. for someone to get a nice blacky and scout some ground for a future grizz hunt of thier own! I have tons of big game hunting experience, no rookies please, this wont be the time or place for newbies!

GoatGuy
05-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Know anyone with a vehicle up there?

It's about 5.5 air time in the gas powered spotter and one heck of a beautiful flight.

Also some good scouting to be had.

pupper
05-28-2007, 11:13 PM
I would love to go man, but I dont know if I could convince my other half.

what dates are you going??

todbartell
05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
ask Danny :)

mark
05-28-2007, 11:23 PM
GG, thought about that, no, dont know anyone up there, also im only VFR, so bad weather could turn me around quick.
pupper... Im ready to leave ASAP as Ive known all month that this day was coming, but sat. would be ideal!

GoatGuy
05-28-2007, 11:44 PM
GG, thought about that, no, dont know anyone up there, also im only VFR, so bad weather could turn me around quick.
pupper... Im ready to leave ASAP as Ive known all month that this day was coming, but sat. would be ideal!

Too bad.

Good luck! You'll like it up there.

The Hermit
05-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Almost too good to pass up but I just can't this week or otherwise Yeah baby!!

Gateholio
05-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Mark,

Great area, I would be all over this if I could swing it. After one (sucessful) grizz hunt, I find that it is kinda addictive..

I love hunitng bears, and grizz just makes it better.

What sort of hunt would you have planned? it's easy to put together a hunt when you wlll have a standing (drive in) camp, much harder to throw together a backpack hunt...

MattB
05-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Go to the ok coral, set a beer on the counter...soon enough a guy that looks like a bum will come and pick it up. You'll know its him because he'll leave a quarter when he steals your beer. He's your man, im sure he will go :wink:.

mark
05-29-2007, 06:17 AM
From all ive spoke with there is a couple areas with good backcountry accesss, via quad. From there is just scouting and glassing slide areas. will be camped right at truck. From what I heard shouldnt be hard to get one from the truck, but not counting on it being that easy!

calvin L
05-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Mark I would love to go but the holiday with my I wife would have to be back out of . (I don't need that kind of crap in my life :wink:) Good Luck in both your hunts 1 for a partner 2 for the grizz. (what about the little lady ? let me gess to much work to leave town .

Caveman
05-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Mark, I've been trying to sweet talk the wife, she is starting to come around she isn't so much saying no, but let my concience be my guide, whatever that means. My only real concern is the short notice. I may be able to swing something, but Sat. might be a day or possibly two too early for me. The wife is off work until the 14th and my daughter has a mini grad at daycare on the 13th, which I'd get shot if I missed that. So all in all this might work out great. I also would have to get approval from work which I don't think would be a huge deal.

Elkhound
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Good luck Mark.....I would love to go but I am working 6 days a week right now. All the best.....it's nicer to split the gas with another for sure

pmj
05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
This puts internet dating on a whole new level. Hmmmm....,:neutral::???::confused:. I am thinking......

hunter1947
05-29-2007, 02:05 PM
I have 2 months left till i retire ,it's to bad that this was not happening next year i would go with you Mark http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif. good luck finding someone to go with ,all the best ,wayne.

pmj
05-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Mark,
You have a pm.

Will
05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
ask Danny :)
Don't forget to bring a cork...........:o

Actually I'd go in a Heartbeat but alas........ALL my vacation time for this year is spoken for........Summer trips with the kids and then my week off for Muleys:icon_frow

Hope you find a Bud to go ! 8)

hitch
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
I know the area, well. I'm on holiday's until June 13th. I'd like to go. Let me ask the warden and get back to you. If I can't go I might be able to point you into a few good spots.

Fisher-Dude
05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Mark, I've been trying to sweet talk the wife, she is starting to come around she isn't so much saying no, but let my concience be my guide, whatever that means.

Yikes! No man alive knows what that means Caveman. Good luck with that! :wink:

Mark, hope ya find a pardner, sorry but work SUX and I can't go. However, if 6 numbers come up for me tomorrow night, I'm in! 8)

hunter1947
05-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Lucky you H47:-D, pretty soon you'll be able to hunt whenever and wherever!!:mrgreen: Yes it won't be long ,i am retiring just in time for hunting season ,i will be in the EK for elk the hole season ,can't wait :mrgreen:.

boxhitch
05-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Hey, that sux, Mark. Small consoulation, but I know of two others with leh's that are stuck without partners alll of a sudden, too.
I just hope its not a trend of the times.

mark
05-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks to all that posted and PM'ed me, but Caveman has told me hes about 98% in for the journey. Its also great cuz we hunted goats together last year, got along good and will feel great about having him as back-up shooter. If no unforseen demons strike us down we should be leaving sunday morn! :-D

Mr. Dean
05-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey, that sux, Mark. Small consoulation, but I know of two others with leh's that are stuck without partners alll of a sudden, too.

I know of 7 that aren't making it.

BCBear
05-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I wanna see some nine inch nails when you come back!:-D

mark
05-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Where are their LEH's??? Every soul ive spoke with all said they would love to go, but "WORK" seems to be the common problem with all! I guess the days of U.I. hunting clubs are gone!

boxhitch
05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
4 & 7.
Not the same as yours, or I would have hooked you up long ago.

ape
05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Fisher-Dude is this what you mean

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o154/apester3/BestAdEver.jpg

Caveman
05-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Mark, The washout on Hwy 16 is about 50mile west of the Kitiwanga turnoff, and there is a washout on highway 37, 30 miles south of Dease Lake which has the highway down to single lane alternating traffic. Other than that we should be good to go. I'll talk to you Friday night, when I get back from the range. Should turn out to be a great trip. Looking forward to it buddy. :wink:

Elkhound
05-31-2007, 01:06 PM
good luck guys. Details when you get back are a must. :-D

srupp
05-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Good luck guys ! Nail a monster..play safe...and take LOTS of pictures.....

Steven

Fisher-Dude
05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Fisher-Dude is this what you mean

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o154/apester3/BestAdEver.jpg

Yep. That guy learned the hard way. I learned the hard way when "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine", actually meant "If you don't take me out for dinner tonight, you're a dead man".

ape
05-31-2007, 01:39 PM
The hard way sucks and usually cost more money than needed.

Caveman
05-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Steven, Maybe we'll find time to stop on the way back and I'll get a chance to meet the infamous Srupp.

Will
05-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Mark, The washout on Hwy 16 is about 50mile west of the Kitiwanga turnoff, and there is a washout on highway 37, 30 miles south of Dease Lake which has the highway down to single lane alternating traffic. Other than that we should be good to go. I'll talk to you Friday night, when I get back from the range. Should turn out to be a great trip. Looking forward to it buddy. :wink:
Caveman,
They'll miss you at the Office I'm sure...........:-D
Have Fun Boys and Bag a Biggun ! Take some Pics too for those of Us that have no Grizz LEH:cry:
:mrgreen:

mark
05-31-2007, 08:28 PM

:-D Woo-hoo, well thats the last of my hurtles, Looks like this trip is happening again. Wasnt looking to good for a while! Finding it increasingly harder to sleep, Cant wait! Pics and stories are guaranteed guys! (even if I have google some grizz pics of the web and photoshop my face in there! :wink:)

pmj
05-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Good luck Mark and Caveman8). Have a safe trip. Seems like the griz have jumped ahead on the score sheet this season. Time to even the score boys:). Too many guys are not making it to the woods. I am very glad your trip got back on track:-D. Go get em.

Fisher-Dude
05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Good luck boys, when you get back we need a pub day for all these grizz hunters to swap some BS, I mean, stories! :-D

Caveman
05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Caveman,
They'll miss you at the Office I'm sure...........:-D
Have Fun Boys and Bag a Biggun ! Take some Pics too for those of Us that have no Grizz LEH:cry:
:mrgreen:

Geez....... Thanks Rick.

hunter1947
06-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Good luck you two on your grizzly bear hunt ,take care and be safe.

The Hermit
06-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Given the new allocation policy I'm disturbed to hear that so many LEH holders are not following up! For me, when I submit my draw application I'm making a committment and only some REAL big issue will stop me from giong. Not my wife won't like it, or lack of someone else's planning at work, etc.

Glad you guys could hook up on this one... THAT is GREAT!!! Have fun, be safe, and good luck! Cheers

boxhitch
06-02-2007, 07:40 AM
For me, when I submit my draw application I'm making a committment and only some REAL big issue will stop me from giong. Not my wife won't like it, or lack of someone else's planning at work, etc.

Spoor happens. And everyoone has their own judgement as to the level of importance. I try not to judge others.
The LEH system is supposed to take into account the number of 'no-shows', and the success rate of those that do get afield, to set a harvest number. If only that system was effective. I thinks many hunts go undersubscribed, mostly due to location.

mark
06-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Given the new allocation policy I'm disturbed to hear that so many LEH holders are not following up! For me, when I submit my draw application I'm making a committment and only some REAL big issue will stop me from giong. Not my wife won't like it, or lack of someone else's planning at work, etc.

Glad you guys could hook up on this one... THAT is GREAT!!! Have fun, be safe, and good luck! Cheers

I feel the same way, thats why im a little peeved for the original partner jamming out, and I did everything in my power to make this hunt happen.
I knew when I applied for the draw that it was a very long drive and at least a week off work was required! Im super happy that Caveman is taking a week from his life and family to make this hunt happen again!

Caveman
06-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Mark, I'm glad to do it, glad that you would have me come along, but most of all I have to thank my wife for putting up with me when it comes to these things. Besides, I need to get away from work for a bit, I haven't taken a day off other than weekends since my moose trip in early Oct.