PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Chasing Bighorn To Their Deaths

Ourea
02-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Dogs chase sheep to death (http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/159173/Dogs-chase-sheep-to-death)Carmen Weld (http://www.castanet.net/reporter/Carmen-Weld) - Feb 23, 2016 / 10:32 am | Story: 159173
http://www.castanet.net/content/2016/2/sheep_p3107121.jpg Photo: Contributed

The B.C. Conservation Service is urging Westside Road residents to keep a look out for dogs it believes are responsible for the deaths of two bighorn sheep.
In two separate recent incidents, two large dogs, one described as brown and one as black, were seen chasing a bighorn sheep along the water near the Estamont Beach subdivision.
“We had two incidents there about a week apart from one another,” said conservation officer Dave Cox.
In the first incident, Cox says a woman called to report a sheep dead in the lake.
“She stated there were some dogs roaming up and down the beach, trying to get at the sheep, but the sheep was dead off shore a little bit,” said Cox. “We asked her if she knew who the dogs belonged to, but she didn't know.”
A week later, a second call came in from a man who described a similar incident.
“He had a very good description of the two dogs, but had no idea where the dogs came from. He had lived in the area for quite some time, but couldn't pin them to any property owner or dog owner,” said Cox.
Conservation officers believe the dogs chased the sheep into the water, not allowing it back to shore.
“The speculation is that they chased it and pursued it into the water and then kept it off shore so it probably drowned, versus the sheep actually being attacked or killed by the dogs.”
Cox hopes residents around Nerie Road and Estamont will watch for the dogs.
“If you see these dogs, a week later, a month later, in someone's possession or at someone's property – the file will remain open. We need to determine who is responsible for these dogs,” he said.
The Conservation Service wants to ensure the dog owner is held responsible and aware of the issue, but he notes, they do not want to harm the dogs.
“Dogs at large, essentially chasing wildlife or killing wildlife, can be put down by conservation officers or RCMP – but we don't want to go there."
“We just want to ensure these people are educated and control their dogs, that's our main approach.”
The owners could face fines of $345, he added.
If you see the dogs, or any wildlife in distress, call 1-877-952-7277.

Bugle M In
02-23-2016, 05:04 PM
There used to be 2 dogs that would roam free from the owners all the time in Cache Cr.
For about 2 seasons, this women asked if we had seen her dogs....large ones.
They would be gone a week at a time, and she told thru conversation how these dogs would at times, many times,
come home with part of a hind quarter (probably deer).
The last time I saw her, her dogs had been missing longer than usual.
I told I hadn't seen them, but before she drove away...I told her, she was irresponsible, and that it wouldn't
surprise me if someone (potentially hunter/rancher) took care of them already, and if that hadn't happened yet...
it most certainly would.
Never saw her again...and never saw those dogs again...hmmm.
There are always some who are just ignorant or don't give a s***.

markomoose
02-23-2016, 05:25 PM
People have to be responsible for their pets.I'm a dog owner and fido is outside lots.Sure he'll chase deer or moose on our property.We have 5 acres. The one reason I have a fenced yard and a closed gate is to keep all the other irresponsible dog owners mutts out of my yard!There I feel better now!

Doostien
02-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Not surprising. Everyone thinks their dog would never hurt another creature, or when it's chasing wildlife they're 'just playing'. A $345 fine is a far cry from what it needs to be.

IronNoggin
02-23-2016, 08:19 PM
A $345 fine is a far cry from what it needs to be.

Absolutely!!

I own Wolf Hybrids, and both my Lady & I Love them with all our hearts.
Were they to engage in the type of behavior noted in the OP's link, I would expect someone to take care of the problem.
If I lived where this occurred, I would be looking to do the same myself.
Then, if I could determine just who owned them... :evil:

Disgusted,
Nog

Moose Guide
02-24-2016, 06:26 PM
People have to be responsible for their pets.I'm a dog owner and fido is outside lots.Sure he'll chase deer or moose on our property.We have 5 acres. The one reason I have a fenced yard and a closed gate is to keep all the other irresponsible dog owners mutts out of my yard!There I feel better now!

You allow your dog to chase wildlife?

markomoose
02-24-2016, 06:39 PM
You allow your dog to chase wildlife? It's his domain as much as the moose or deer!By the way all the deer and moose he ran after held their ground or chased him back to the house.They got attitude around here.These are P.G. animals.MOST have attitudes!No I don't allow him to go nuts.I'm cross fenced so mostly they're in the back 40. I consider ourselves responsible pet owners!There I feel gooder now!!

REMINGTON JIM
02-24-2016, 06:53 PM
Any Chasers need a WARNING shot put into them ! jmo RJ

tikkatac
02-24-2016, 06:56 PM

Same here, My 2 Komondors chase deer, moose and pretty much anything that moves off my property. Keeps my animals happy and my garden growing:)

tikkatac
02-24-2016, 06:58 PM
You allow your dog to chase wildlife?

Private property I don't see the problem?

Animals running around on crown land or (other peoples) private property chasing animals for shits and giggles is the issue.

markomoose
02-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Private property I don't see the problem?

Animals running around on crown land or (other peoples) private property chasing animals for shits and giggles is the issue. Great post tikkatac!You are now my bestest best friend! Cheers buddy

steveo
02-24-2016, 08:16 PM
If a C.O drives by and sees your dog chasing a deer around on your property do you think you can still get charged?

markomoose
02-24-2016, 10:02 PM
If a C.O drives by and sees your dog chasing a deer around on your property do you think you can still get charged?Not a chance!And I believe we are a little off the original topic??

Buckmeister
02-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Hmmmm, dogs at large chasing wildlife??? Sounds like these pups are wanna be wolves. Last time I checked there is a season and bag limit on wolf in our region. If dogs wanna act life wolves, then treat them like wolves!!!

BAM! BAM! Bu-bye Fido and Lassie!

Drillbit
02-24-2016, 10:17 PM
^"If you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows."

Chopper
02-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Just found this

Deer chasing by dogs is against the law. Persons who allow a dog to chase wildlife, contrary to the regulations of the Wildlife Act, are subject to a fine of up to $1000 or imprisonment for up to six months (Wildlife Act, Section 80).

Surrey Boy
02-24-2016, 11:11 PM
If a C.O drives by and sees your dog chasing a deer around on your property do you think you can still get charged?

If the CO comes around my yard I'll provide him with plenty of leads to follow up on in Bamfield.

RiverOtter
02-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Interesting derail, might make a great thread topic, especially in areas where deer etc are semi domestic in residential areas.

Mulie_Hunter
02-25-2016, 07:37 AM
I also use this technique definitely the most effective. Big or small it works on them all!
Regardless what anyone says on here, that is the crown's deer or moose. If your Dog is chasing it whether on private or public lands you are at fault as the owner, and can be charged,fined (kicked in the junk).

Chopper
02-25-2016, 08:26 AM
I also use this technique definitely the most effective. Big or small it works on them all!
Regardless what anyone says on here, that is the crown's deer or moose. If your Dog is chasing it whether on private or public lands you are at fault as the owner, and can be charged,fined (kicked in the junk).

im all but certain a conservation can shoot your dog on site if it is chasing game ...

Barracuda
02-25-2016, 09:19 AM
if its on your private property grazing permit etc no they cant if the animal is considered to be rightfully defending the property. People have dogs to fend off bears,deer and other animals from destroying crops and livestock all the time . if it leaves the property then yes they could be destroyed by a LEO but only them unless of course it is engaged in legal hunting .
There are a lot of cowards out there that will take a shot at a dog(hounds etc) because they don't want them in an area that they are hunting ungulates in even if the dog was legally allowed to be hunting and then like a coward they will lie and claim it was running deer . (again they are not allowed to shoot it even if it was)

steveo
02-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Interesting derail, might make a great thread topic, especially in areas where deer etc are semi domestic in residential areas.
I am not sure how you find this thread becoming derailed, in the pic of the story there are houses in the back ground and it is obviously an area with private property. The only difference in some posts about dogs harassing/chasing wildlife is that it is your dog on your property. Sorry but I think it is very related and good discussion.

Chopper
02-25-2016, 09:52 AM
if its on your private property grazing permit etc no they cant if the animal is considered to be rightfully defending the property. People have dogs to fend off bears,deer and other animals from destroying crops and livestock all the time . if it leaves the property then yes they could be destroyed by a LEO but only them unless of course it is engaged in legal hunting .
There are a lot of cowards out there that will take a shot at a dog(hounds etc) because they don't want them in an area that they are hunting ungulates in even if the dog was legally allowed to be hunting and then like a coward they will lie and claim it was running deer . (again they are not allowed to shoot it even if it was)

No ... you cannot just shoot dogs ... but a conservation officer can

tikkatac
02-25-2016, 09:58 AM
For some people, myself included, deer are a pest. No different than a coyote eating someones livestock. They destroy my small crops and garden, break branches and cause unnecessary work.

I think those who feel deer should be left alone have not experience the destruction they can cause.

Again this is for the purpose of property protection and the original post had nothing to do with that as far as I could tell. Then again nobody has got the dogs side of the story yet.

Barracuda
02-25-2016, 10:09 AM
No ... you cannot just shoot dogs ... but a conservation officer can that's exactly what I said but a CO cant just indiscrimantly shoot a dog that is doing its job such as protecting crops, sheep, airports etc for instance you have a crop of blueberries and a bearcomes in and the dog chases it off it is perfectly allowed and a co wouldn't shoot a dog for that. or you have a field of alfalfa and your dog drives the deer off then it is not an issue or even if a moose came on your land and the dog repelled it it is not going to be destroyed by a LEO.. These dogs that alledgedly chased the sheep into the water and wouldn't let it out are a different situation . surprised there is no video of it with all the cell cameras out there

Chopper
02-25-2016, 10:10 AM
honestly ... How is this even a debate ? It dosent matter what anyone " THINKS " its illeagal for dogs to chase game. If anyone see's a dog chasing a bighorn sheep they should call conservation and have it shot.

Thread closed

Mulie_Hunter
02-25-2016, 10:55 AM
honestly ... How is this even a debate ? It dosent matter what anyone " THINKS " its illeagal for dogs to chase game. If anyone see's a dog chasing a bighorn sheep they should call conservation and have it shot.

Thread closed

Agreed. READ the topic. We are talking about dogs running sheep to death. I can't see a debate; however maybe there is someone out there that has a defense for fido and lassie.

tikkatac
02-25-2016, 10:56 AM

Thread closed

OR....
Instead of going around killing everyone's pet when it gets out of line. Find the owner, tell him what you saw, help him get his dog back from the one of many things that got him loose in the first place and if that doesn't work call the CO's office and try getting the dog on your own.

I know it's not your responsibility but if you're so worried about the game it's chasing then step up and try to get the dog to stop.

What right do you have going around deciding the fate of every dog that does something wrong?

PS. Thread OPEN

Down South
02-25-2016, 11:25 AM

I'm with you, keep the dog away from the sheep.

Just so I am clear, what does these are P.G. animals mean

HarryToolips
02-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Hmmmm, dogs at large chasing wildlife??? Sounds like these pups are wanna be wolves. Last time I checked there is a season and bag limit on wolf in our region. If dogs wanna act life wolves, then treat them like wolves!!!

BAM! BAM! Bu-bye Fido and Lassie!
X2....as long as they are not on private property I'd shoot em too..

Barracuda
02-25-2016, 11:40 AM
No matter how you slice you would be in the wrong and committing an illegal act so be prepared for the label of being a Criminal or a Coward or a Poacher take your pick? Don't forget it will of course damage the reputation of all hunters if fido gets shot no matter how much you try justify your action your still in the wrong both legally and in the eyes of public . Unless a dog was devouring the sweet baby Jesus himself the public outcry over the killing of Fido by a villainous hunter would be front page material.
Record and report is your only option unless you are a LEO.

Salty
02-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Anyone that thinks shooting a dog because you think it is killing game is a good idea is delusional. Anyone see dogs that have attacked humans or worse being killed on site? No. They go to the SPCA until its investigated. Yes even dogs get a trail.

Back to the thread, it sounds like a bad deal there on the west side more than likely that these two dogs have been allowed to kill game for a long time and have got at it, and developed a taste for it. I hope they throw some resources at it and find out what/who's dogs these are and take action. Not good at all.

boxhitch
02-25-2016, 12:06 PM
He had a very good description of the two dogs, but had no idea where the dogs came from. He had lived in the area for quite some time, but couldn't pin them to any property owner or dog owner
Just need a 'wanted dead or alive' poster campaign now.

Sharpish
02-25-2016, 01:36 PM

Thread closed

my thoughts exactly. people love dogs (not me) and they can be great, but they can also be real *******s. The owner should also be fined IMHO.

tikkatac
02-25-2016, 02:33 PM
my thoughts exactly. people love dogs (not me) and they can be great, but they can also be real *******s. The owner should also be fined IMHO.

Exactly,
There are rules already in place for these situations. We don't need captain wild west out there shooting at every domestic animal that's running through a field because he feels he need to protect the wildlife so he can turn around and shoot at it in sept.

Hell, probably a good number of members on here cause more grief to wildlife with shitty shot placement and rifles that aren't sighted in.

Simple solution and it was mentioned above. RECORD AND REPORT. That's all you need to do. Let the authorities do their job, it's what they're good at.

Xenomorph
02-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Then again nobody has got the dogs side of the story yet.

+1 for Tikkatac's posts being awesome.

markomoose
02-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Back to the dog owners being responsible!Keep your dog on your property fenced or tied up.I would never tie my dog up unless he was a shit disturber or I didn't have a fenced yard.These folks just open their door in the morning and say have a nice day doggie.These people shouldn't own dogs or bear children in my opinion!

Sharpish
02-25-2016, 05:42 PM
A dog running loose on crown land, with no owner in sight for the two hours it probably takes for a bighorn to tire and drown .... I might help the dog move along with a 22 short to the ass.

RiverOtter
02-25-2016, 05:59 PM

I am not sure how you find this thread becoming derailed, in the pic of the story there are houses in the back ground and it is obviously an area with private property. The only difference in some posts about dogs harassing/chasing wildlife is that it is your dog on your property. Sorry but I think it is very related and good discussion.
I see the houses, but unless the same person owns them all, those dogs were off their owners property. I thought the original thread was about 2 dogs at large, running sheep, but maybe I'm missing something.

The derail, IMO, concerned dogs running deer etc off your property. Just to play devils advocate, how many strides constitutes "running wildlife"....? If you have a 40x60 foot garden and your dog runs the deer out and then quits chasing, does that constitute "running". Because by that definition my dog is guilty as charged.

OneStevo
02-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Exactly,
There are rules already in place for these situations. We don't need captain wild west out there shooting at every domestic animal that's running through a field because he feels he need to protect the wildlife so he can turn around and shoot at it in sept.

Hell, probably a good number of members on here cause more grief to wildlife with shitty shot placement and rifles that aren't sighted in.

Simple solution and it was mentioned above. RECORD AND REPORT. That's all you need to do. Let the authorities do their job, it's what they're good at.

nicely put tikkatac!! I 100% percent agree....as for dogs, i like 'em, i've had some really good ones, and i made damn sure they were well trained, and i certainly would never let them chase game,(maybe the odd cat from the front yard). And i also made sure they never ran loose either. That said, dogs will chase game if allowed. Straight up, it's the owners fault and no one else's, whether accidental or not, they are responsible for their animals. Find em, charge em.

wideopenthrottle
02-26-2016, 03:44 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/2-dogs-shot-in-separate-incidents-north-of-napanee-1.3466652

The owner told police she had let the dog out around 6 a.m. that day and found the dog injured at 7 p.m.

J_T
02-26-2016, 04:01 PM
My dogs don't chase deer. But every night they bark in the window while i take my deer beater stick out and persuade the deer to leave my yard and my plants alone. Ive never come in contact with them, but they know I mean business.
More and more of the deer around here are walking with limps in their quarters. It isnt from angry property owners or dogs, its from vehicles.

shootthesheep
02-27-2016, 12:10 AM
"If caught owners COULD face fines up to $345". There's a big part of our problem right there. In Alaska (where they actually value their wildlife and protect it with real laws) you'd probably be facing jail time.

180grainer
02-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Dogs on Crown land chasing wildlife. I can't shoot them?

HarryToolips
02-28-2016, 11:38 AM
^^^exactly....if they are on crown land chasing deer they look like coyotes to me, so I'm nukin it..

Barracuda
02-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Its illegal period . shooting a dog because you want to even though it is illegal and purposely lying about it being a coyote is pretty cowardly, mistaking a dog for a coyote unless it is one of the few breeds that looks like a coyote means you probably shouldn't be hunting lol

Walksalot
02-29-2016, 08:17 AM
A few years ago I saw a dog chasing a deer and followed the tracks, in the fresh snow, back to a residence. I informed the person of what the dog was up to and told him the dog was living on borrowed time. The owner had no idea the dog was not near the residence.
I recently had a chat with a lady whose dog was running unsupervised and away from the vicinity of the owner. Being on lower elevation where there were quite a few deer I expressed concern of the possibility of the dog harassing the deer. The owner informed me that the dog was a hunting dog, pointer, and as a hunting dog it has respect for wildlife. I simply shook my head and walked away.

wideopenthrottle
02-29-2016, 08:56 AM
A few years ago I saw a dog chasing a deer and followed the tracks, in the fresh snow, back to a residence. I informed the person of what the dog was up to and told him the dog was living on borrowed time. The owner had no idea the dog was not near the residence.
I recently had a chat with a lady whose dog was running unsupervised and away from the vicinity of the owner. Being on lower elevation where there were quite a few deer I expressed concern of the possibility of the dog harassing the deer. The owner informed me that the dog was a hunting dog, pointer, and as a hunting dog it has respect for wildlife. I simply shook my head and walked away.

well ...good to hear that she associates "hunting" with ethical treatment of wild animals....her dog is a hunting dog therefore it will respect wildlife...hillarious

BC_Viking
03-07-2016, 04:32 PM
^^^exactly....if they are on crown land chasing deer they look like coyotes to me, so I'm nukin it..

That might be a bad idea if the owner of the dog is around and armed , people can get pretty crazy and violent when someone shoots their dog . Some peoples dogs are like family members to them, that combined with being in the forest with no witness around could turn ugly or fatal quick. I would rather call the CO then shoot a dog and maybe be shot in a shootout or dead..

boxhitch
03-07-2016, 07:33 PM
I recently had a chat with a lady whose dog was running unsupervised and away from the vicinity of the owner. Being on lower elevation where there were quite a few deer I expressed concern of the possibility of the dog harassing the deer. The owner informed me that the dog was a hunting dog, pointer, and as a hunting dog it has respect for wildlife. I simply shook my head and walked away.Good on you for following those up , many wouldn't take the time. Owners have no idea sometimes, like the neighbour whose dog I caught on my trail cam and proved to the owner Fluffy was taking walkabouts.

Hunting dog ? should of asked her if that goes both ways , if it can be hunted ;)

Mikey Rafiki
03-07-2016, 07:50 PM
The derail, IMO, concerned dogs running deer etc off your property. Just to play devils advocate, how many strides constitutes "running wildlife"....? If you have a 40x60 foot garden and your dog runs the deer out and then quits chasing, does that constitute "running". Because by that definition my dog is guilty as charged.

I've run a few deer myself in the yard when they are eating my garden or standing outside the door when my two young kids want to play outside. Wonder what type of fine I would get for harassing wildlife? Better than a .22 in the ass I suppose :)

Walksalot
03-08-2016, 08:00 AM
I had a buck get into the orchard, I named him Houdini, as I couldn't figure out how he got in. It had raked a couple of small trees and I had trouble persuading him to exit via the gate. The problem was a doe was in the next orchard, they always leave the gate open, and it was in heat. I put the dog on leash and thought I might usher him out. I would get him right up to the gate and he would turn back to where the doe was wondering around. This went on for days. Finally I got so mad I phoned the CO and got a permit to shoot the little bugger. With my .410 shotgun and a package of slugs I headed up the orchard. There the buck lay,against the fence and the doe was still in the adjoining orchard. I loaded the shotgun and looked at the love sick buck and knowing what a male in love feels like I unloaded the shotgun and finally ushered him out the gate. I must be getting old.