PDA

View Full Version : Cambell River 2-dayer

Bow Walker
05-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Well.......what can be said about a near perfect shoot? The guys up there deserve a huge thumbs up - especially Rod(?) (Ron?) Saunders... sorry, I can't be sure of the first name. It's not only the memory that gets short with age. :???:

That was one first class shoot. The club/grounds/facilities are all top notch. The indoor shooting range was really nice to shoot in - as well as the outdoor range with the elevated platform for 'tree stand' shots. The host club went out of its way to make us feel welcome - right up to the prize draw.......(my tickets went unanswered).:icon_frow

25 targets, 2 arrow rounds all Saturday and on Sunday morn, and a 1 arrow round on Sunday aft. Then the (for me) fatal prize draw. The tables were literally groaning from the many prizes that were available. Lots of high-end items and plenty of quality items as well. T-shirts that were actually of a useful size for us older, gentlemen of the portly persuasion. :roll:

Lunch on Saturday was great. Here's an example...Big thick grilled burger, soft drink of your choice, drink, and bag o' chips for $5. Take your burger over to the condiments table for some thick slices of cheese, mounds of lettuce, plenty of tomatoes, and the usual mustard, ketchup, mayo, relishes. Oh! Did I mention heaps of grilled onions? Done to a perfect caramelized texture. Awesome!

Dinner that night was listed as Spaghetti. Well that doesn't do the meal justice at all. Here's the description that I was given by one 'over-stuffed' diner........Pasta with a thick tomato sauce and plenty of meatballs, along with a huge Caesar salad, heaps of grilled garlic toast (both sides), and then there was dessert - if you had room.

The 3D course? Very well set out. Varying terrain, realistic 'hunting' shots (which is what 3D should be all about), and a good variety of types of shots and animals. Overall the shoot was well organized and well run. One of (if not the) most enjoyable shoots that I have had the pleasure of attending. Thank you C.R.F.W.C.

Speaking of attendance......there were approx. 45 shooters registered by the start time on Saturday morning. Now for a quality 2-day shoot that is pretty pathetic support to one of the better clubs on the Island. Don'tcha think?

I believe that there were only 3 archers that made the trek up-island from Victoria. How many shooters are on this end of the rock? Plenty - that's how many! Where were you all? There was also a very noticeable lack of representation from the mid-lower end of the Island. I'm talking about Cowichan.

Cowichan could be getting ready for their own 2-dayer next weekend, but... there is plenty of daylight from 5 pm until 8 pm for lots of setup. Pretty disappointing. I only hope that hey get the turnout they want.

bochunk2000
05-28-2007, 10:53 PM
I would have loved to be there as well as the Cow bowman shoot coming up. I however am working right through the weekends this month.:(:(
Steve.

Bow Walker
05-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Sorry Steve - it's not aimed at you specifically......you are usually working most weekends.

Eagle1
05-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Well I don't know about some of you , but for the few { and I mean very few } there is alot of work setting up a 3 - D course, exspeacially if you work all day as well, if only more of these club members would come out to help. There seems to be a lack of north Island shooters { save a few } at the lower end of the Island for shoots,Malahat shoot 20 people, Cowichan and victoria{ Some }
Oh well, any how I hope to see a lot of ALL the Island people at our shoot.
There is a lot of very realistic scenes at every target, 27 shots, 75 plus animals to make up the course, some people have put in a pile of work so to see one of the best and most realistic looking 3 - D's on the Island you'll just have to come shoot it and see for yourself. NUFF SAID.