PDA

View Full Version : My adventures on the land last year

markrrr
02-19-2016, 10:41 AM
In 2015, I deepened my commitment to living in harmony with Nature. I spent some time up at Unist'ot'en Camp, where indigenous hosts work to revive their culture and supporters from around the world come to learn about an ancient way of life and support a timely struggle to protect the land from exploitation from foreign profiteers.

I spent several months exploring the Chilcotin, living out of my truck and also out of a small cabin in the remote Tatlayoko Lake area. I attempted to learn how to ice fish in the winter, and fish through the spring and summer.

Unfortunately, I also found myself falling into my old patterns of living thru Facebook, doubting myself, and feeling lonely. I chose places to connect with the land that were remote and far away from civilization, and consequently it was hard to find new friends and, particularly, mentors to learn from. I found myself feeling like a little boy in a vast new world, unsure of how to connect or relate.

I returned to the city, and gradually, felt the call to the Arctic. So, I drove up to the Yukon, and spent several more months living out of my truck, in a small wall tent, and in a tiny cabin near Carcross. It's a beautiful area, and perhaps a bit less remote than Tatlayoko, but even farther from folks in Vancouver and very spread out.

As the summer progressed, I invested in developing hunting skills, focusing on tracking animals, butchering and firearms. I continued to struggle with isolation and often found myself wishing for a land-based community. However, I did have the opportunity to connect with Etienne and Miyuki, two amazing homesteaders, whose lifestyle is a great example to me of how to live more simply and closer to the land.

While up North, I saw some amazing wildlife. Thumping grouse on spruce forest walks, curious red fox high North in the Tombstone tundra, black bear near Teslin Lake, porcupine near Dawson City and massive caribou in the Southern Yukon mountains. I broke trail where I was the only human, and found some intimate moments with the mountains and forests. I foraged for wild cranberries, yarrow, fireweed, and made salad dressing, teas and jams. I discovered orange boletes, orange delicious, and agaricus mushrooms, and had one rather unpleasant night where I got mildly poisoned.

I helped care for chickens and received some eggs, as well as helped a bit with Miyuki's garden, watering potatoes, zucchini, kale and carrots. In the fall, I participated in the annual slaughter of a number of chickens. The emotional experience crept under my skin and taught me a new awareness of what goes on when I eat meat.

Eventually the pull for closeness with people was so strong that I decided to return to the Vancouver area. Back in the city, I found myself struggling with the old patterns of empire, skyrocketing housing costs and people that seemed stuck in expensive, capitalist lifestyles, while living largely from their phones. I know this place too well, and when I live like this, it hurts so deep in me

I realize now that I need to call community out from where I am, near the city, going out into nearby wild places, to develop relationships with the land and with one another. I need to help build a community of land-based learning, where I am both a student and a teacher. I need to pursue this path vigorously and with a high degree of friendly openness to people joining and contributing.

So, in 2016, I am re-imagining a Sacred Balance Adventure School (google it) as an emerging community of people learning, practicing and teaching ways of connecting more deeply with the land. And doing so while respecting indigenous traditions, and bringing forth the best of our own ancestry. For example, my Sami relatives would Jojk, or sing into Nature, to connect deeply with a place. This is something I was doing 10 years ago, long before I ever knew that Sami people do that, or that I am related to them.

We can practice these natural ways authentically, when we remember that every ancestral human culture developed practices of foraging, fishing, hunting, and growing, as well as singing, natural building, play, and Earth-based spirituality. Although many indigenous cultures were lost under the expansion of empire, we all come from them. Our ancestors all practiced these elements.

Therefore, can we practice in a way that does not appropriate cultural specifics, while beginning to remember our own ancestral traditions, making space for our ancestors to speak thru us again, guiding our way?

I would like to call out a group in the Vancouver area where we gather regularly to go out into wild places, on rivers and lakes, and up nearby mountains to explore, sing our gratitude, forage, fish, hunt, and connect deeply with community, adventure and the wild. I would like to call out a group where we are falling in love with the land and all who call it home- a group where we are remembering how to be stewards of this beautiful Earth.

This will be a group of us that are learning to see Nature not just as a pretty postcard which should be protected from humans, or as a bin of resources to take from, or as a collection of peaks to bag, or camping trips to go on,... no, we are actually seeking to transform our relationship with Nature by seeing clearly and then changing our behaviour.

Changing our behaviour so we are not entirely dependent on empire and capitalist systems, weekend warriors who return to the daily grind for money, so that expensive middlemen can clothe and feed and shelter us. Changing our behaviour so that we learn how to receive food and shelter and healing directly from Nature, AND we give back to Nature in the form of conservation and protection work.

This is not some idealist vision. Actually, it's just how our ancestors lived.

Opening ourselves to an intimacy in Nature that can radically shift our perspective, so we begin to understand that we have a stake in Nature, and that our survival is intimately tied to hers.

If you have any ideas, please be in touch! I want to start 2016 off very strongly with all of you and the land in my heart.

Cheers,
Mark

downsouth204
02-19-2016, 11:35 AM
One of the best posts to ever grace the pages of this website!!

wideopenthrottle
02-19-2016, 11:36 AM
this is my observation on your topic.....
there are two kinds of people in the world..people that believe man is just another animal and is a part of nature...people that believe man is something outside of/at odds with nature..

people that believe man is just another animal and is a part of nature are generally "connected" to the earth....and as such draw power from it

people that believe man is something outside of/at odds with nature tend to want to "conquer" the natural environment or are in complete fear of it...these people are lost IMO

people that believe man is just another animal and is a part of nature come from 2 camps (pun intended)...some were raised with nature and have been indoctrinated as such others have learned to appreciate nature and have been reconnected to it.....

you mention "we gather regularly to go out into wild places" ....these wild places you refer to, I (and others I am sure) call "places of power"......they nourish your soul and raise your spirit....

you can mostly tell the difference between people raised with nature and people that have learned to appreciate (reconnected) by the reaction they have to "places of power"....reconnected people get animated or excited and exclaim things like "this place just blows me away" ....the people raised with it tend to simply go quiet and exhibit signs of bliss or serenity...

bigredchev
02-19-2016, 11:45 AM
I got skipped on the rotation on this one...

buckshot
02-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Markrrr, are you independently wealthy ? If so, you can join our moose camp this fall, chip in for gas, watch us "connect". Humbaya.

TreeStandMan
02-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Markrrr:

I appreciate the sincerity of this post, as well as the desire to get out of Vancouver and into the wilderness. I also think that bringing more hunters into the fold is a good thing, and a degree of appreciation for conservation is often lacking. This said, like most members of this form I approach the wilderness from a less romanticised, more pragmatic perspective.

For me, hunting is a test—a problem to be solved through practice, patience, ingenuity, and strength. To prepare for this test I lay plans, read maps, read books, scout, shoot and swing kettle bells. There's not a lot of singing or dancing. When I go hunting my goal is much more stark: I want to find and kill my animal, and then return home with meat for my family.

The interesting thing, though, is that when I go into the bush as a hunter I have to think about my prey, about the weather, about the terrain, and any number of other variables, all of which makes me feel connected.

I don’t know if you’ve hunted and killed a large animal yet—I suspect not—but I hope you get the opportunity. I suspect that you'll find the experience enlightening, though perhaps not in the way you expect.

two-feet
02-19-2016, 08:23 PM
If i were to summarize what i have learned in a life time in the bush, it would be this: nature is indifferent. The most incredible beauty coexists with brutal, harsh reality. Nature does not care. Love, joy, hate, death, good, bad, smart and stupid, nature does not care. We can put our industrial, capatilistic mark on nature or we can approach it with spiritual reverence, but nature just does its eternal thing. Long before and long after we hairless monkeys play around thinking we control the destiny of the planet.

It sounds like you are searching for some form of peace, and like many of us you have found it in the wilder places. Good luck on the journey.

albravo2
02-19-2016, 08:27 PM
If i were to summarize what i have learned in a life time in the bush, it would be this: nature is indifferent. The most incredible beauty coexists with brutal, harsh reality. Nature does not care. Love, joy, hate, death, good, bad, smart and stupid, nature does not care. We can put our industrial, capatilistic mark on nature or we can approach it with spiritual reverence, but nature just does its eternal thing. Long before and long after we hairless monkeys play around thinking we control the destiny of the planet.

It sounds like you are searching for some form of peace, and like many of us you have found it in the wilder places. Good luck on the journey.

Wow. Well said.

emerson
02-19-2016, 09:06 PM

Yes. I find nature's solidity and indifference soothing. I like consistency.

adriaticum
02-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Very well said.
I think the hardest part for people to handle is the isolation. You have to be the type of person that can handle it.
Thanks for sharing.

hunter1947
02-20-2016, 06:58 AM
Nice read ,,thanks for sharing..

dereke
02-22-2016, 02:05 AM

A doozy Sir, well said...

markrrr
02-22-2016, 12:10 PM
people that believe man is just another animal and is a part of nature are generally "connected" to the earth....and as such draw power from it

Thanks for your response, wideopenthrottle. Yes I would say I'm part of this camp. To me it is about checking my ego and sense of entitlement, and acknowledging the life force of all that lives around me. I've been lucky enough to work with some incredible indigenous people who have reminded me about this way of seeing the world-- something that, before empires in Europe, was also the way the old indigenous European tribes saw our relationship with the cosmos.

For me, hunting is not a way to exert power and dominion over the natural world. I don't believe we can do that anyway, as we are deeply vulnerable in Nature. Instead, I want to hunt to become more connected to my relatives, the deer, grouse, many animals that live here, and that can also sustain our lives....

Cheers,
Mark

markrrr
02-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Markrrr, are you independently wealthy ? If so, you can join our moose camp this fall, chip in for gas, watch us "connect". Humbaya.

Lol buckshot... definitely not, I work for every dollar in my life. Try to keep things simple, don't own a house or have kids... on my travels up North I was also working... I work remotely thru cellular and wifi networks.

markrrr
02-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Markrrr:
I appreciate the sincerity of this post, as well as the desire to get out of Vancouver and into the wilderness. I also think that bringing more hunters into the fold is a good thing, and a degree of appreciation for conservation is often lacking. This said, like most members of this form I approach the wilderness from a less romanticised, more pragmatic perspective.

For me, hunting is a test—a problem to be solved through practice, patience, ingenuity, and strength. To prepare for this test I lay plans, read maps, read books, scout, shoot and swing kettle bells. There's not a lot of singing or dancing. When I go hunting my goal is much more stark: I want to find and kill my animal, and then return home with meat for my family.

I think we have a lot in common. For sure, I'm a noob, but I'm quite into training myself up, being stealthy and smart, and hopefully, one day, returning home with meat for my family (which for me is my close friends and folks who I'm inspired to share with).

Last year I went on a few recon missions for deer, culminating in a fall hunt in the interior. We did get a big 4 point buck- the guy I was hunting with shot it, and I helped him field dress and pack it out... He was a bit gruff, so I came back later and sang for the animal. Sensitivity and strength are not mutually exclusive.

I'm looking forward to more time out there and approaching my first buck. Trying to build a strong foundation for life. One step at a time.

Thanks for your comment!

markrrr
02-22-2016, 12:20 PM

Thanks two-feet... :)

kevan
02-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Markrrr.... Thank-you for starting a most enjoyable thread and also a Thanks to all who made worthy contributions.
I wish you all the best in your efforts and hopefully someday our paths will cross out there..

wideopenthrottle
02-22-2016, 12:35 PM
it is not just native north americans but all the pagan peoples that have identified with drawing power/spirituality from the earth....I solemnly acknowledge the gifts the earth provides as well as offering some nuts or snacks to the animals as a symbol of my faith when on every hunting trip...I don't go that far for getting firewood or collecting mushrooms but for killing game I do

hawkdog
02-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Make sure not to mis identify any plants out there eh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcP3brBJ3s

markrrr
02-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Here are some things I am doing ... I try to go out with people... I prefer the shared experience to going out alone... I have an InReach Sat communicator on me and use my mobile with Backcountry Nav as GPS. Carrying a compass and practicing with it. Learning to read direction and the landscape (Natural Navigator). Learning bushcraft and survival skills (took two courses last year) and practicing making primitive shelters and starting fire in a variety of conditions... Keep a waterproof container with firestarting materials (usually round cotton pads with vaseline sandwiched between, and flint steel). Bring a lightweight tarp (siltarp)... Good knife... portable water purification (clo2). Bear spray. Learning learning learning. Trying to stay humble.

Plant ID... practicing (Botany in a Day, etc)... only picking plants I'm confident about. Same with mushrooms- sticking with a small number of mushrooms I've learned...

Trying to make local contacts of peoples to show me the local places for fishing , foraging, etc, to learn from...

Thank you everyone for your positive comments and reminders...

primmed99
02-23-2016, 09:26 PM
markrrr

Did you vote liberal or conservative, you might think this question has zero merrit but I have some good info either way

markrrr
02-23-2016, 09:40 PM
markrrr

Did you vote liberal or conservative, you might think this question has zero merrit but I have some good info either way

Coke or Pepsi?
I voted for neither.
:)

Tuffcity
02-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Sounds like you are trying to find something a lot of us found in childhood. The pure joy of being "out there". The wild places are not just appreciated by aboriginals, but by many of us who grew up pushing the limits and with wonderful parents who didn't worry we roamed the forests and mountains as kids.

My "church" is the magesty of the high country and my kids have grown up seeing that "religion" too. I quietly revel in the time I get to spend in the wild and, as the saying goes, "if I have to explain, you'll never understand".

Glad you found this "place" but realize that it is an intrinsic value, different things to different folks. One culture does not own it.

RC