PDA

View Full Version : Peachland Bypass: take the poll

HarryToolips
02-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Take this poll on Castanet, and please vote no. Most people are too ignorant to know that the Highway 97 bypass will cut right through prime deer winter range, and besides, that will just make the traffic on Princeton Ave. miserable anyway, and snow removal cost will be higher, I would think....widen the existing highway and be done with it people..

HarryToolips
02-18-2016, 10:51 PM
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-158896-11-.htm#158896

Barracuda
02-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Sorry but I vote yes . job creation and not really deer wintering , the properties impact deer and moose more then a highway will in that area

primitive
02-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Where we live I can watch the chaos and accidents that happen on Drought Hill. It's bad. The bypass would likely be on the lower fringe of the wintering area and the affect would be minimal. If the deer were migrating farther down in elevation I could see it, but thats about as low as it they would go. For that reason I too vote yes.

horshur
02-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Take this poll on Castanet, and please vote no. Most people are too ignorant to know that the Highway 97 bypass will cut right through prime deer winter range, and besides, that will just make the traffic on Princeton Ave. miserable anyway, and snow removal cost will be higher, I would think....widen the existing highway and be done with it people..

you live on Princeton??

Barracuda
02-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Princeton avenue is in peachland

buckshot
02-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Voted yes also road safety issues come first!

Daybreak
02-19-2016, 06:19 PM
The Princeton Ave that Harry Toolips is referring to is in Peachland. It starts at the last set of lights in Peachland as you travel south towards Summerland. Princeton Ave runs up the hill to the old dump site and then continues as gravel into the bush and terminates about 6 KM up where the road splits to two. One being the Headwaters road and the other is paved and is the road to Brenda Mines.

If there is a Princeton Ave in Summerland that is the first I've heard of it although I don't know Summerland too well.

Not sure why Harry Toolips feels the Peachland Bypass will increase traffic on Princeton Ave. The proposed route for the bypass does not tie into Princeton Ave as far as I know.

Daybreak
02-19-2016, 06:28 PM
2 deaths and multiple serious injuries in the last two weeks on the 2 lane highway through Peachland. This week the local Mayor petitioned MOT to take immediate steps to improve road safety with better lighting and possibly concrete dividers until the bypass is approved and completed.

Barracuda
02-19-2016, 06:44 PM
The Princeton Ave that Harry Toolips is referring to is in Peachland. It starts at the last set of lights in Peachland as you travel south towards Summerland. Princeton Ave runs up the hill to the old dump site and then continues as gravel into the bush and terminates about 6 KM up where the road splits to two. One being the Headwaters road and the other is paved and is the road to Brenda Mines.

If there is a Princeton Ave in Summerland that is the first I've heard of it although I don't know Summerland too well.

Not sure why Harry Toolips feels the Peachland Bypass will increase traffic on Princeton Ave. The proposed route for the bypass does not tie into Princeton Ave as far as I know.

sorry meant Peachland .

Daybreak
02-19-2016, 06:54 PM
No problem B. Just didn't want people getting this bypass issue any more confused than it already is. "Central" Peachland would be torn up for years and traffic would be disastrous if they attempted to four lane the existing highway.

HarryToolips
02-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Where we live I can watch the chaos and accidents that happen on Drought Hill. It's bad. The bypass would likely be on the lower fringe of the wintering area and the affect would be minimal. If the deer were migrating farther down in elevation I could see it, but thats about as low as it they would go. For that reason I too vote yes.
Where did you get this info from?? Do you have a link with a map?? If it wasn't going to affect deer and habitat in a negative way, then why is the Peachland Sportsman's Club fighting it??

Stone Sheep Steve
02-19-2016, 10:44 PM
Where did you get this info from?? Do you have a link with a map?? If it wasn't going to affect deer and habitat in a negative way, then why is the Peachland Sportsman's Club fighting it??

'We' are fighting it because the people who oppose it have lived and hunted the area for decades and know where the deer live in winter.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-19-2016, 10:48 PM
Voted yes also road safety issues come first!

The proposed bypass will only send traffic from south up to the connector. Most of the traffic will still travel north-south thru the valley.

Johnny G1
02-19-2016, 11:04 PM
I quess nobody thinks of driving a little slower through Peachland, you can drive the speed limit and it looks like you are going backwards with the way the traffic runs, and it would stop a few accidents and the province could get quite rich on tickets, but its the same shit every where you go today, if it says 100k or well 130k is the norm.

Surrey Boy
02-19-2016, 11:23 PM
Don't know enough about this one to vote yet.

horshur
02-20-2016, 09:00 AM
do you guys oppose the vineyard industry as well??? they are all on winter range.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-20-2016, 10:24 AM
do you guys oppose the vineyard industry as well??? they are all on winter range.

I oppose 'some', for sure. Desirable 'aspect' is shared by both vineyards and winter range(south and southwest slopes).

Most vineyards are close to the valley bottom with only moderate slope. Steeper terrain doesn't work with tractors very well...thankfully.

This bypass is higher up and will cut off a lot of desirable winter range below. I believe it's supposed to cut above McCall lake and along the eastern edge of spring creek canyon.

Honestly, this is more of a concern with me regarding winter range. Looks like there was a major land grab took place back when West Kelowna became a District and then later on a city. Most people were completely unaware of it.

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/DocumentCenter/View/989

HarryToolips
02-20-2016, 11:11 AM
^^^^^what does this mean exactly?? Mind my ignorance, I only see the dark green as a 'forest resource zone'....

HarryToolips
02-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Read SSS's post...if you know the area like we do, you would know that it would be detrimental to the deer in the area..

Barracuda
02-20-2016, 11:46 AM
I know the area and it really isn't an issue for deer heck more deer probably winter in the town then where the bypass will be bothering.

horshur
02-20-2016, 05:27 PM
I know the area and it really isn't an issue for deer heck more deer probably winter in the town then where the bypass will be bothering.

where did you say you live?? No not at all if the proposed route is as SSS says it is a huge deal and for the odd moose as well ...my question is why can't they upgrade Brenda mines rd instead?? Tulips my family lived there for years know the place well.

Daybreak
02-20-2016, 06:29 PM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/logonphoto/Peachland%20Bpass%20Route/Proposed%20Bypass%20Route_zps6itryoti.jpg (http://s283.photobucket.com/user/logonphoto/media/Peachland%20Bpass%20Route/Proposed%20Bypass%20Route_zps6itryoti.jpg.html)

Daybreak
02-20-2016, 06:37 PM
The vast majority of land east of the proposed bypass is privately owned and either already developed or will be in the not too distant future. As you can see, the road in question basically skirts in close proximity what is already considered the Municipality of Peachland.

Daybreak
02-20-2016, 06:43 PM
http://www.hwy97taskforce.com/pdf/news/3-from-Peachland-to-study-highway-options-Daily-Courier_-News.pdf

Daybreak
02-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Of course, no land issue is complete without WFN getting involved.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/article_87272c5e-d506-11e4-a3e0-b3b9a1d532dd.html

Barracuda
02-20-2016, 08:03 PM
I don't think where the actual road has been proposed will be an issue and it will allow better infrastructre and growth in the years to come between the proposed bypass and the original hwy. it will run just outside of town from trepannier heading southwards south skirting the properties to till it meets up it meets up with the Brenda mine road .Princeton ave right by the road maintainance depot storage place area .Then it will head towards the 97 just outside of the residential area at an angle past hardy street. basically a bypass around peachland (who would have thunk it)

HarryToolips
02-20-2016, 10:52 PM
Of course, no land issue is complete without WFN getting involved.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/article_87272c5e-d506-11e4-a3e0-b3b9a1d532dd.html
Lol of course..but ol' Louie is right, the bypass will be enormously expensive...

HarryToolips
02-20-2016, 10:56 PM
I don't think where the actual road has been proposed will be an issue and it will allow better infrastructre and growth in the years to come between the proposed bypass and the original hwy. it will run just outside of town from trepannier heading southwards south skirting the properties to till it meets up it meets up with the Brenda mine road .Princeton ave right by the road maintainance depot storage place area .Then it will head towards the 97 just outside of the residential area at an angle past hardy street. basically a bypass around peachland (who would have thunk it)
But see that's the problem, there's too much growth in the Okanagan already...this is one of the main problems with the economy in general, everything has got to be based on growth, otherwise our economy's in the dumpster.. Whatever happened to just sustaining what we already have..

HarryToolips
02-20-2016, 10:59 PM
WRONG...sure a decent amount of deer can be found in the residential areas in the winter, but go up there in the winter and check out how many deer and how much sign you see up there - lots....

fireguy
02-20-2016, 11:44 PM
That map is just a line on a map. No way it would be built there. Someone that has never actually been there drew it.

As as far as the two accidents, one was in Peachland, one wasn't. It was out by Brent road. You probably all saw the global video of the first one. I was at both, and the one last year at Brent road. Four lanes and a barrier would have possibly helped in all three.

funny thing is that highways already owns right of way to four lane the existing highway. The own nothing wherever a bypass might go. Peach landers should be concerned that if there was a bypass the current highway and maintenance would be passed off as a new municipal road.

the line is in very steep terrain, it cuts off winter range, and the "winter" environment is much longer higher up, so more snow, ice etc.

Barracuda
02-21-2016, 09:56 AM
are you even thinking of the same area as it is not high in elevation where they propose and really isn't considered steep terrain for bc or road building . look at the ungulate winter range studies and you will see it is not considered prime winter range. take a look at a topo map and it is easily doable wont exactly be on the lines but it wont be far off.

Daybreak
02-21-2016, 10:42 AM
That map is just a line on a map. No way it would be built there. Someone that has never actually been there drew it.

As as far as the two accidents, one was in Peachland, one wasn't. It was out by Brent road. You probably all saw the global video of the first one. I was at both, and the one last year at Brent road. Four lanes and a barrier would have possibly helped in all three.

funny thing is that highways already owns right of way to four lane the existing highway. The own nothing wherever a bypass might go. Peach landers should be concerned that if there was a bypass the current highway and maintenance would be passed off as a new municipal road.

the line is in very steep terrain, it cuts off winter range, and the "winter" environment is much longer higher up, so more snow, ice etc.

Most roads, in the planning stage , begin as a line on a map. It is entirely possible to be built where indicated. Do you have a link or evidence that the line was draw by someone who "has never been there" ? The article presented in the 25th post states that "the Highway 97 Task Force has engineers that have presented a path that meets grade and turn radius requirements..."

You are correct that one of the accident's was south of the Municipal limits by a few km. It was located on 97 in an area subject to the proposed bypass so is worth including in the conversation.

Some land owners would have property expropriated to complete a 4 lane project. I doubt that a four lane highway outside of Municipal boundries would become the responsibility of Peachland to maintain. Highway 97 passes through the middle of Kelowna and is still the Mot's responsibility.

The route does not climb the grade immediately but rather cuts across the grade with a gradual rise. It begins at approximately 500 metres and would peak at approximately 800 metres then dropping back to 500 metres. It lies on a SSE exposure and at 800 metres is not anywhere near being considered high elevation . Hardly a concern fort extreme winter conditions and maintenance.

This area in question is not the beat all/end all wintering grounds for ungulates as some seem to think. Are there deer there in the winter? Yes. There are deer on pretty much every SSE, SW, SSW mid to low elevation slope in the Okanagan. The few deer affected would likely adapt quite readily. Roads have been built in this province for over a hundred years and every time there are worries that the animals will suffer great hardship. The animals are programmed to adapt and they will.

Peachland is a pretty cool community in terms of its unique location and layout. I'm not sure a 4 lane through the middle will add to its charm and potential for the years to come.

HarryToolips
02-21-2016, 10:59 AM
^^^^^Well i hope you right there DB, I appreciate the optimistic outlook:wink:

Barracuda
02-21-2016, 11:00 AM
daybreak could you orient that map north? so people can get a better grasp of the route .

Daybreak
02-21-2016, 11:37 AM
^^^^^Well i hope you right there DB, I appreciate the optimistic outlook:wink:

I too am concerned for habitat preservation and ungulates survival. This proposal is not spanning hundreds of km's through pristine untouched wilderness. The fact is: the whole area is completely riddled with roads, quad, bike and foot trails. The highway might benefit the wildlife by reducing the interest of off roaders in the area. Who's going to drop a quad or dirt bike in such a limited space?

If a few wildlife underpasses were installed the deer would be free to travel in and out of the municipality to their hearts content. The majority of them seem to drop right down into the residential areas anyway, to enjoy the tasty cedars, ornamentals and security from predators.

Daybreak
02-21-2016, 11:39 AM
daybreak could you orient that map north? so people can get a better grasp of the route .

The upper right corner of the illustration is pointing north +/- a few degrees.

fireguy
02-21-2016, 11:44 AM
I wasn't talking about Peachland maintaining the new bypass, the old highway where it is would be passed over to Peachland for sure if a bypass was made.

As as far as I can tell on their map, which admittedly highways doesn't know if or where it would go, they are going over pincousion mountian and connecting up with 97C at about Trepanier or a little further up the hill.

All location ion is speculation at this time but I do know that where the highway is now there is no snow, where the line on the map is there is about a foot and a half or more.

of course none of neither would stop any accident on either road, the only way to stop that would be to stop vehicles from driving on any of them.

check the actual highways right of way map to see if there is room for a four lane highway, you might be surprised as that was dealt with years ago.

Daybreak
02-21-2016, 12:13 PM
I missed your intent on maintenance. What makes you so sure Peachland would be saddled with it? I don't know of any precedents. It would still be designated provincial highway 97S despite an alternate route.

From what I have read, the intent is to skirt just east of PCM. To build over PCM would be a momentous task. Would make for a spectacular view point though.

You're right in saying this is all conjecture at this point and only time will tell. It is good to try to keep informed and aware of the goings on so as not to be blind-sided. Keep in mind this matter is being debated not only for a traffic safety concern but also as a means of determing what Peachland will look like and how it will function decades from now.

There may be 18" of snow in some shady areas but there hasn't been a significant snow fall in weeks and once plowed, a road at 800 metres on SSE exposure does present an on going maintenance issue. If heavy snows were a concern there would be 0 deer there. I have a hard time believing maintenance on this location would be a determining factor. Would it need to be plowed and sanded periodically? Yes, just like most every other highway beyond Chilliwack.

If you have a link to the Highways study post it up.

Can you post a link to the study you mentioned FG

fireguy
02-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Pallmwewash (probably spelt wrong) parkway in lake country is now a municipal road.

Princeton ave was a highways maintained road until it was downloaded on Peachland

Beach Ave was the old highway through Peachland until a bypass was built around the town.

I do know that the current 97 would be transferred to Peachland in the case of a bypass

as far as highway right of way, look on the GIS mapping http://www.rdcogis.com/GIS_App_public/index.html

The museum in Peachland is parked on highways right of way

I also know first hand tat the area is winter range, just look at antlers saddle, where where there is motorized vehicle restrictions, that is here the "bypass" would start.

downsouth204
02-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Looks good to me, and go big or go home! Slam a second bridge across the lake from the the overpass at 97 and 97C at the same time and kill two birds with one stone! Traffic through West Kelowna and Kelowna is insane in the summer, derailing half of it round the east side of kelowna is nessesary in the long term.... truth is it's nessesary right now!

HarryToolips
02-21-2016, 04:17 PM
^^^^and are you going to have this bridge crossing from the overpass at 97 and 97 C running to the other side and coming out at Okanagan Mountain Park??? Great let's destroy more mule deer and elk habitat...not to mention what you described will probably cost almost a billion dollars...No offence, but please try to think more like a hunter and conservationist, and less like a typical Okanaganite..