PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

harley1
02-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Hi,
New member here. I took my PAL and CORE last year and bought my first 22LR - Ruger American, joined Mission rod & Gun and been getting in lots of practice. I also purchased Steven Rinella's book on small game - An excellent read if you haven't yet.

I also like target archery and fishing.

I want to hunt (Obviously LOL) and thought initially of small game, then moving up as my skills progress. Thought my next gun would be a shotgun, then a large calibre rifle as needs progress.
I've been lurking here for a while and there is great advice. I find the hardest part, like has been mentioned in some threads is how to locate a worthwhile hunting spot - I know there is google maps and you have to determine legality etc etc. But, it can still be difficult as a newbie. I have Hunt Buddy, but it only tells you the zones - It would be great if it indicated when you were actually in the zone, as I know this can be finicky with land divides etc. I see a previous poster mentioned it would be great if the CORE course actually taught this subject, but they didn't.
Any advice on this is great appreciated.
I'm only interested in hunting what I can eat and thought I might try some Snowshoe hare/rabbit whilst the season is active.
I'm based in Maple Ridge - Would be great to team up with someone with real world experience if anyone is interested?
Thanks in Advance.
Harley

RugDoctor
02-15-2016, 09:01 PM
Welcome! Ummmmm....where's yer opening joke?

scotty30-06
02-15-2016, 09:16 PM
Yup no opening joke.....brutal... ..welcome to the site.....lots and lots of great advice and awesome people....just make sure you don't step in some of the bullshit. ;p

harley1
02-15-2016, 09:18 PM
A good joke would be my past fishing record :-D

RugDoctor
02-15-2016, 09:20 PM
We'll take that. Some great folks with some great advice here. Enjoy! Oh....and go buy those guns.

harley1
02-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks. Working on the wife re more guns. In the past when I had a motorcycle I used to have to have the latest thing for safety reasons :)
Now, I just have to work that message somehow in to guns.

scotty30-06
02-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Zombie apocalypse....drop mic

harley1
02-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Zombie apocalypse....drop mic

LOL - I use that already - what with the bow, gun, several knives, off road utility trailer etc. I just tell her you will thank me when the zombies get here.

scotty30-06
02-15-2016, 09:57 PM
And you bet she will hahahha

AgSilver
03-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Did you get out for a hare hunt at all?

Like you, I'm only interested in hunting what I can eat...and I love to eat rabbit. And I'm close to you, so quite curious as to how it went.