PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Claim a Hunting Spot - Plant a Tree Stand?

skibum
02-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Is this my best option - you know put a tree stand on crown land this summer and call anybody who doesn't move from my area an inconsiderate a$$? I would be really pissed if I saw sign of another hunter in the area.

I really want to hunt this spot 4-5 times next fall, and don't want anybody around. Tree stand should save the spot for me right?

takla1
02-15-2016, 12:51 PM
in my opinion absolutely not.Unless its private land and you have exclusive permission to hunt On crown land most hunters when encountering a tree stand that shows sign of current use will move along a ways.If the tree stand is old with no sign ive climbed up into home made jobs a few time with zero problems.First come first serve id imagine on any abandoned stands

takla

RackStar
02-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Your inviting people. If your worried about other people then your to close to a road. Go deeper.

btridge
02-15-2016, 01:12 PM
No such thing as a private hunting spot on crown land, if you want private, buy some land or get exclusive permission on someone elses private property.

sawmill
02-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Why not just put up a sign?
"My special spot,go away, nothing to see here."
Crown land buddy. If you ever build one here in the E.K. make sure it`s sturdy. I`d hate like hell for it to collapse and break my leg.

.308SLAYER
02-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Found a tree stand last year in princeton way back in the thick rubs everywhere Def going back

Knute
02-15-2016, 01:23 PM
I think most missed the tongue that was planted firmly in your cheek.

But hey what do you have to lose? Other than the tree stand?

Besides, most people are inconsiderate asses. It's our world, your living in it.

takla1
02-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Another thing to mention is that when I encounter a treestand that shouts out to me that its a good spot.Nobody goes to the trouble of building these in the bush without first having shot game at that spot or haveing seen game at that spot and know game uses these area's.Most treestands are built at vantage points and crossing points in openings.I can think back over 40 yrs hunting and think of numerous such spots I found with old stands where I set up in subsequent yrs and harvested game.

If you want to stay stealthy get a climber stand and haul it in and out with you daily is your best bet

takla

rocksteady
02-15-2016, 01:24 PM
I think this was posted in jest, in response to the other thread posted on here...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?125396-Tree-stand-etiquette

Bugle M In
a tree stand and a meat pole.....definitely won't attract attention.

Not much you can do....I have some guys hunting where I have hunted for years suddenly the past 2 years.
(I seen that they had been following my footprints in the snow...step for step)
Now they hunt the same locations I do...but I cant do nothing about....
All I can do is just hunt it better and more often than they do!

kilometers
If that's all it takes I'm going to go make 20 plus tree stands this bear season. Every swamp within a 100 km will be mine for the up coming moose season. . Muahaha

notyalc
02-15-2016, 01:25 PM
First come first serve. A tree stand won't keep anyone out of that area unless you're sitting in it. If I had a tree stand set up and came to it one day and someone was using it, I'd just walk away and go back later and take it down and move it. It's crown land and everyone has a right to hunt it.

sawmill
02-15-2016, 01:46 PM

Not much you can do.

Except make sure you left a cord of split dry wood too.

Lillypuff
02-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Putting a stand up will invite people to your area. I used to hunt a thick area of timber about 300 yards off the main road. Never saw another soul till I spooked out a nice buck. Talked to the gentleman who saw the buck he went and built a tree stand in the area. From then on it became a race to the stand in the morning and evening. Self climber if you want peace

IslandBC
02-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Is this my best option - you know put a tree stand on crown land this summer and call anybody who doesn't move from my area an inconsiderate a$$? I would be really pissed if I saw sign of another hunter in the area.

I really want to hunt this spot 4-5 times next fall, and don't want anybody around. Tree stand should save the spot for me right?

LOL i took this is as sarcasm...

fuzzybiscuit
02-15-2016, 03:17 PM
LOL i took this is as sarcasm...

Apparently you are one of the few who got it. Lol.

50 posts from now after everyone has figured out that the OP was just making fun of another thread that got carried away, H47 will come on at 4:00 in the morning saying "Putting up a tree stand won't make the spot yours..." and the whole thing will take off again. Lol.

brian
02-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Throw up a few game cams for good measure. Then you can post bitch threads with pictures of the inconsiderate a$$'s not respecting your area! Even better you get to post bitch threads about the inconsiderate a$$'s stealing your game cams. Really its HBC bitch gold for years to come.

fuzzybiscuit
02-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Throw up a few game cams for good measure. Then you can post bitch threads with pictures of the inconsiderate a$$'s not respecting your area! Even better you get to post bitch threads about the inconsiderate a$$'s stealing your game cams. Really its HBC bitch gold for years to come.

No doubt! Leave your crap out in the bush and then bitch when someone takes it. There is a very simple solution that I can think of to ensure your crap isn't stolen...pack out what you pack in!

kilometers
02-15-2016, 04:20 PM
We had some Guys park an old travel trailer at the entrance to a spot. Did a drive by the night before open season. Trailer was their, no vehicle and no people their. Came back early opening morning still no vehicle no lights on. Parked and went hunting.
The guy ended up showing up just before daylight hunted for an hour then left.
must of had to work and could only do a quick hunt and didn't want anybody hunting his spot
thinkin he could claim the spot by leaving his travel trailer their just made me want to hunt it more and harder.

Barracuda
02-15-2016, 05:43 PM
im actually surprised at how many people leave trailers in the bush and campsites and then turn up on weekends as if it is a weekend cabin.

Bugle M In
02-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Ya...the trailers being left unattended all week at a lake/campsite, only to be used on weekends is a bit of a piss off if
ya ask me...generally locals in the area doing that.
Should be a policy in place that it can only be done for 2 weeks/ once a year in a calendar year ...but no one would
enforce it anyways.
Does seem to be a growing occurrence though.

02-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Lol you win the " lets start a fight thread"
compitition

lol

ya do it. And build one on the other side of your spot too
that way you got the self climber vs built stand arguement covered ok

Backwoods
02-15-2016, 09:10 PM

Not much you can do....I have some guys hunting where I have hunted for years suddenly the past 2 years.
Ohhhh man, can't stand when guys have that poor of hunting ethics, who raises their kids to hunt that way!! Just follow other hunters into their spot son/Hun.... Way to much land here in bc to be sitting on other hunters laps!! Get a map, do your homework scout, because another hunter gets there before you, be respectful, move on, and get up earlier!!! Lol just my 2-cents

Phreddy
02-15-2016, 09:11 PM
one of our local poachers pitched a tent right in the middle of the only road into one of our elk honey holes. He went back to town to pick up a few things he'd forgot and when he got back someone had torched it and everything inside it. Of course, when we heard about it we all felt very sorry for him......lol. Often wish I knew who it was as I'd like to at least shake their hand.

Elk-Aholic
02-15-2016, 10:09 PM

Wow, now that's low!!!!! Foot step for footstep. The old hand in the cookie jar mentality and people
never wanting to use any effort of their own. Sounds like welfare at its finest! Low life gut pile hunters right there

SAVAGEONE
02-15-2016, 10:23 PM

Well sure you can do something, stop being inconsiderate and build a nice tree stand for other hunters ( roof and wind breaker would be nice ):mrgreen:

hunter1947
02-16-2016, 04:42 AM
Won't save squat everyone is entitled to hunt on crown land having a tree stand set up won't stop any hunter from hunting within the area your tree stand is set up ,,good luck on all..

fuzzybiscuit
02-16-2016, 05:44 AM
Lol...I was off by 42 minutes and a few posts!

Piperdown
02-16-2016, 07:41 AM
Apparently you are one of the few who got it. Lol.

50 posts from now after everyone has figured out that the OP was just making fun of another thread that got carried away, H47 will come on at 4:00 in the morning saying "Putting up a tree stand won't make the spot yours..." and the whole thing will take off again. Lol.

Ha ha how true but 47 will probably reply by 3:45 am as he slept in :mrgreen:

Piperdown
02-16-2016, 07:43 AM
I just posted this and saw 47 had already replied, pretty close on the time

Capdan
05-28-2019, 08:59 AM
The best way to claim a hunting spot is to buy the land.

Until then, it's all public.

dakoda62
05-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Nope, i have found several stands, if there empty ill hunt the area (Wont use them) if occupied on the other hand, i'll find somewhere else.

caddisguy
05-28-2019, 01:42 PM
One evening I hunted in only my underwear and boots. Late November and rain was coming down like a hose. I didn't have much spare clothing and didn't want to get what I had soaked for a couple hours of hunting on a 3 or 4 day trip. That is the best way to claim an area. Think about it... if you ran into some guy in underwear with a rifle in the woods, would you want to go back? Your welcome :)

wideopenthrottle
05-28-2019, 02:00 PM
isn't that what survey tape every 5 feet is for?....:lol:

Jimbob
05-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Signs are how they do it in Quebec. Hunters just put up a sign on a logging road and "claim" a section. Some signs have the number of hunters hunting and how many years they have been using the spot. I found this while scouting areas to go bowhunting there but ended up avoiding it.

Even if guys are only hunting an area for rifle they don't want you in there during bow season. I found it really weird being public land but that's their culture and not mine. I figured it was a bit rude to come over from Ontario and tell them they were doing it wrong.

Anybody ever moose hunt in Quebec and run into this?

Ron.C
05-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Nope, i have found several stands, if there empty ill hunt the area (Wont use them) if occupied on the other hand, i'll find somewhere else.

^^^^ This.

45freezer
05-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Yes, if you really want them to leave the area alone though you should also laminate your best trail cam photos from that spot and post them on the bottom of the tree...if they know someone is already targeting that trophy class buck in the area and the belly dragger bear that keeps coming around they'll most likely find a new spot and do their own recon :roll:

caddisguy
05-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Dueling banjo music seems to work too.

landphil
05-28-2019, 05:40 PM
One evening I hunted in only my underwear and boots. Late November and rain was coming down like a hose. I didn't have much spare clothing and didn't want to get what I had soaked for a couple hours of hunting on a 3 or 4 day trip. That is the best way to claim an area. Think about it... if you ran into some guy in underwear with a rifle in the woods, would you want to go back? Your welcome :)

Bare hunting. No fricking wonder you’re a tick magnet.

This thread is over 3 years old, but it’s good to see that HBC is the same.

Spy
05-28-2019, 05:57 PM
I agree with Dakota and Ron I think most bow hunters think the same.

albravo2
05-28-2019, 06:47 PM

What, doesn't everybody hunt in ginch and rubber boots? In November?

IslandWanderer
05-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Yes, if you really want them to leave the area alone though you should also laminate your best trail cam photos from that spot and post them on the bottom of the tree...if they know someone is already targeting that trophy class buck in the area and the belly dragger bear that keeps coming around they'll most likely find a new spot and do their own recon :roll:

Lol, yeah right.

weatherbyjunkie
05-28-2019, 09:00 PM

100% !!!!!! Sharing is caring!

butthead
05-31-2019, 08:47 PM
thanks for the use of the use of the tree stand and the nice buck i took out of it.
sweet set up

walks with deer
05-31-2019, 09:43 PM
practising sound shots is the best way to claim a area.

Treed
05-31-2019, 09:49 PM
I’ve built tree stands on the far edges of my favourite area. If you beat me to them, they’re yours. Just be careful cause I ain’t no master builder. My buddy figured out the best location for a blind. It’s located next to a field on 500 ha that never gets hunted. Cost him a few 100k but he is guaranteed some meat and no asshats. Funny, I’ve never been there...

Hunter gatherer
06-01-2019, 05:20 AM
I usually drop 4 or5 trees on the way into an area and post vehicle closure signs at the beginning of roads ,so far that's been working.

HikerHunter
06-01-2019, 06:24 AM
if i found a random tree stand out in the bush id use it. until someone came by and said hey! then i would happily give it up.

FLHTCUI
06-04-2019, 06:44 AM

It is Crown Land right......
First in gets dibs and by dibs I mean physically not some tree stand.
FLHTCUI

gitnadoix
06-04-2019, 06:31 PM
you will never get complete sole use of any spot short of a major walk off of the local access point even then ...... I was once nestled into an old landing pile on an old landing watching the setting that edged onto a swamp waiting for moose to show themselves. It was just a few minutes short of that special time, and this dude pulls up in his truck gets out notices me, tips his hat to me and then proceeded to set himself up against a stump watching the same setting and swamp as I was....?????? I am guessing we were gonna take turns or something, I left him sitting there in the fading light .....anyway that was the last time did not walk at least 1 km.....

Rieber
06-04-2019, 06:40 PM
I usually drop 4 or5 trees on the way into an area and post vehicle closure signs at the beginning of roads ,so far that's been working.

So you're the schmuck that's been doing this! Had to go home one evening and there were freshly fallen trees across the road. Lucky I had a chainsaw. This your I decided to put a winch ion the front of my truck.

Shites going to get hot out there if I find someone purposely falling trees over the road to block hunters.

Hunter gatherer
06-08-2019, 04:20 AM
So you're the schmuck that's been doing this! Had to go home one evening and there were freshly fallen trees across the road. Lucky I had a chainsaw. This your I decided to put a winch ion the front of my truck.

Shites going to get hot out there if I find someone purposely falling trees over the road to block hunters.
I posted this tongue in cheek , you know like a joke haha , I guess your the schmuck who can't figure out humour.

hawk-i
06-08-2019, 06:34 AM

The other big city boy attitude is to block the road off with your camp or truck when hunting an area! :(

white moose
06-08-2019, 07:53 PM

This is about as clear as it gets. Seen it lots

john-brennan
06-09-2019, 07:29 PM

I agree totally, you may force them out by being persistent

IslandWanderer
06-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Crown land belongs to us all. If some fool thinks he can reserve a spot by erecting a tree stand or meat poke he's mistaken.