PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to access northern BC for stone sheep, caribou or grizzly?

375shooter
02-14-2016, 12:29 AM
If money was no object and you wanted to be able to access the best stone sheep, caribou or grizzly hunting of northern BC, how would you do it? Would you gain access with a floatplane, a landplane with tundra tires, a jet boat, a well-trained horse packstring, or would you just backpack in? I'm not interested in anything related to cost or risk, only what you think is the best way to get there and why.

.264winmag
02-14-2016, 01:05 AM
Money and time no object I'd go horses. Never been on a horse hunt so for me it would add to the experience. Pack in everything but the kitchen sink and spend a month or two. I have also read there isn't a finer way to travel in the mountains than by horse.

RiverOtter
02-14-2016, 01:22 AM
I'd have to agree with horses, but river boat would be a close second.

Carbonmatrix
02-14-2016, 01:56 AM
+1 on the equine route

Bear Chaser
02-14-2016, 02:00 AM
Horses for sure.
However it is a different kind of tired and beat up than backpacking.
On foot wherever you stop can be home for the night. With horses you have to camp where the grass is. When you stop travelling for the day the horses must be taken care of first; then you get to set up camp and eat yourself. The entire time you rest is spent worrying about the horses and sleeping with one eye open.

.264winmag
02-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Horses for sure.
On foot wherever you stop can be home for the night. With horses you have to camp where the grass is. When you stop travelling for the day the horses must be taken care of first; then you get to set up camp and eat yourself. The entire time you rest is spent worrying about the horses and sleeping with one eye open.

Sounds like there is drawbacks, but with the kinda coin we're talking nothing to hire a couple good wranglers!

boxhitch
02-14-2016, 08:15 AM
Charter jet to avoid lineups, limo service to avoid driving fatigue and dui , float plane to a remote lake , p/u by a team with a bunch of horses , headed to a good camp with hot and cold running maids. Sounds about right.
Throw a guide in their if you don't want to do your own scouting or glassing.

Option B for a lighter camp would be a p/u at the lake by a team of backpackers to carry your load, with fresh food and refreshments packed

you did say money was no object ....

mikek
02-14-2016, 10:11 AM
so true so true

REMINGTON JIM
02-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Horses for sure.

Being on Several horse back Hunts and the HORSEs are a lot of Extra work BUT they make it way easier on your Back for sure ! Depending on what you are shooting for game almost impossible to bring much BIG game form way back with out them ! If its a long distance in and out and a long time i would use horses for sure ! jmo RJ

Weatherby Fan
02-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Charter jet to avoid lineups, limo service to avoid driving fatigue and dui , float plane to a remote lake , p/u by a team with a bunch of horses , headed to a good camp with hot and cold running maids. Sounds about right.

Option B for a lighter camp would be a p/u at the lake by a team of backpackers to carry your load, with fresh food and refreshments packed

Remington Jim and I do this yearly, can't remember if we shot anything but the drinks tasted good !

358mag
02-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Sounds great , u know of any places like that ??

RackStar
02-14-2016, 03:07 PM
I would pick horse. does not get any more real then that.
Bucket list for sure.

ryanb
02-14-2016, 07:46 PM
A big packstring will get you to the places that are impractical or impossible to get to with a plane or boat.

Ohwildwon
02-14-2016, 09:20 PM

Dont forget the Hookers and Blow! :)

vip_ruger
02-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Not Sure I have Did the Jet boat ,horses, float plane ,and backpack each have the place but ill take horse as the can save your back and put u into some pretty cool places. I also Hire a wrangler to help with the horses so they aren't my main concern hunting is.
But the drop off and have grunts pack your gear and drinks for u is a pretty good way to I bet

goinghunting
02-14-2016, 10:03 PM
Definetly horses, but second place is a float plane and backpacking.

boxhitch
02-15-2016, 05:11 AM
Sounds great , u know of any places like that ??It only takes money
though it might be hard to hire CDN sherpas, may have to get tfw's

375shooter
02-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Awesome input!

With planes, you're kind of at the mercy of the weather. It may be the quickest way to get into the hunting area, but once there if the weather goes south, you're stuck. I wouldn't want to be flying around in the mountains when winds are 50 to 60 kmh plus. The plane also has to be secured properly just in case a real wind storm moves in. It's not easy to do, especially with a floatplane.

Of course with backpacking, there is so much work involved and you're limited by age and/or physical condition as to how far you can get. The end results is extremely rewarding though, as no doubt many people already know.

Accessing with a jetboat is probably quite the adventure as well. I've never done it but it sounds fun.

Like most of the responses, I also think horses is the best way to go. You're only limited by how much time you have available. Basically you can go anywhere your heart desires. It's got to be the ultimate adventure. There's lots of work involved with taking care of the horses but the disadvantages have got to be outweighed by the advantages. Even though many creature comforts could be packed, I would probably pack more like a backpacker, at least in the beginning (first couple of trips) to reduce the number of horses needed. I figure less horses, equals less trouble.

yama49
02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
I would use all the above options, some are better than others in certain spots. Be great to have planes, boats, and horses..

Saskhunter
02-28-2016, 11:06 PM
I saw a hunting show a few months back, can't remember the exact place but the guys floated a river on pontoon type boats. Looked kinda fun and easy enough to do. There are several places a guy can throw in on some of the bigger rivers and float to a pick up area. For the guys that live along or close to these rivers it wouldn't be hard to practice a few trips before season.

Alfonz
02-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Like others have already said if you have someone looking after the horses for you that would be the way to go. If you have another buddy with a truck and a tidy tank full of AV gas, super cub on floats or 31's is a pretty good option too. You just need a place to drop of your critters and get more fuel. You sure can get the lay of the land from flying over it. Also as mentioned securing you plane can be a bitch if the weather picks up and weather will keep you pinned down to sometimes for days so bring some cards.

375shooter
02-29-2016, 09:54 PM
Did a couple of trips with the floatplane. One for grizzly and then a solo one for stone sheep. Never figured out an easy way to secure the plane for a worry free 10 or 12 day hunt, but will do it again anyway.

Have plans for packstring hunt, too. Will probably go solo. Three horses, one for riding, one for packing and one to bring out the sheep. Going to get an electric corral. That should keep the horses close, so no need for a wrangler. I'll pack ultralight, like a backpack hunter. Going to get a titanium wood burning stove and a lightweight stove tent. Already have most of the other required stuff.

I'll take the trip hour by hour and won't overdue it, in order to have the time and energy to take care of the horses at the end of the day. No doubt will have some troubles but probably will find out what works and what doesn't, pretty quick. I won't be going completely bind, though. I'll have quite a bit of horse packing experience on local trails by then.

Feel free to critique my plan.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Did a couple of trips with the floatplane. One for grizzly and then a solo one for stone sheep. Never figured out an easy way to secure the plane for a worry free 10 or 12 day hunt, but will do it again anyway.

Have plans for packstring hunt, too. Will probably go solo. Three horses, one for riding, one for packing and one to bring out the sheep. Going to get an electric corral. That should keep the horses close, so no need for a wrangler. I'll pack ultralight, like a backpack hunter. Going to get a titanium wood burning stove and a lightweight stove tent. Already have most of the other required stuff.

I'll take the trip hour by hour and won't overdue it, in order to have the time and energy to take care of the horses at the end of the day. No doubt will have some troubles but probably will find out what works and what doesn't, pretty quick. I won't be going completely bind, though. I'll have quite a bit of horse packing experience on local trails by then.

Feel free to critique my plan.
Sounds good to me .