PDA

View Full Version : digital cameras

quadrakid
05-27-2007, 04:41 PM
i,m thinking of spending up to four or five hundred bucks on a digital but know very little about them, any input or reccomendations from members who know the camera business would be much appreciated. thanks in advance qkid . i,d primarily be using outdoors. do i need to go up to the SLR style of camera to get good quality photos of the mountains and the critters?

todbartell
05-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I really like the Canon S3

12x optical zoom, 6.0MP, nice camera

Steeleco
05-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I really like the Canon S3

12x optical zoom, 6.0MP, nice camera

Agree 110%, I bought the S2IS this time last year for over $100 more, I see them at Best Buy for under $400 these days, Then get over to a Costco and get the 2gig memory card, you'll be good to go.

you should visit www.dpreview.com and see what's hot and what's not!!

Wildman
05-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Agree 110%, I bought the S2IS this time last year for over $100 more, I see them at Best Buy for under $400 these days, Then get over to a Costco and get the 2gig memory card, you'll be good to go.

you should visit www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com) and see what's hot and what's not!!

Another check for Canon here. I have a Power Shot A710is. A1 quality.

Bow Walker
05-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Been taking photos (on a serious level) for 30 years or more now....where does the time go?.....I've had a couple of SLR's that I'd give the thumbs up to. Either Canon or Nikon.

Mostly it's the person behind the camera that makes the biggest difference from a ho hum pic to a 'wow' pic.

For primarily outdoors, sports, hunting, etc. I'd probably look hard at the 'point-and-shoot' type of digitals. I've got an older Canon Powershot A-75 that does very well on 'auto' and gives you the option(s) of adjust ability as well. It's small, light weight and fits into your pocket to boot.

Good advice by Steelco about the large capacity memory card. Also pickup a memory card reader so that the camera batteries are not being sucked dry when you want to download your memories. Checkout Walmart for both card readers and cameras......you will be pleasantly surprised at the prices there.

Another option for the camera is this place http://www.camera-warehouse.ca/default.asp

good luck and happy shooting.

scoot
05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Another for the Cannon. I bought the S1IS. Great camera for the $$. the S3 now is like 200 cheaper than what I spent on my S1. Great zoom, features of an entry SLR for just a little more than your average camera. I know about 10 people that have one of the three IS series and have heard no complaints.

Steeleco
05-28-2007, 02:29 PM
The S5IS just came out, 8 meg and 12x zoom, we'll need to increase the bandwidth for pictures posted with that baby!!!

quadrakid
05-28-2007, 09:04 PM
thank you all for your input,seems like a lot of canon fans. i,m leaning towards a point and shoot as i,m really not a camera bug, just want a good quality closeup of my thumb on the lens! thanks again,much appreciated.

happygilmore
05-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Panasonic Lumix tz3 is what I have and it's great. 10X optical 5mp and fits in your pocket!!! I've had cannons and it was ok but big and bulky. unless you want to carry your purse with your buy something small. Now I warn you it's not perfect, it takes a lithium battery that costs about 60 bucks on e-bay but one charge and I went for a week turkey hunt took about 100pics and about 35minutes of video and it still had one bar left. I would perfer it if it ran on AA bat's but I have been impressed with the lithium I bought a spare just in case but I have not needed it yet. If you want to take pics of far off animals you need to have a tripod for almost any digital camera. I've been through a few cameras and I really like this one. My friend had a cannon and he was so impressed he bought one too. The bonus you can pick them up on E-bay for only 250$ or less. that leaves you enough money you can buy a spare battery and a good 2gb+ card.

happygilmore
05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Lumix tz3 is point and shoot too!

srupp
06-02-2007, 01:42 PM
olympus stylus..point and shoot ...Big megapixils...zoom..optical..

and its WATERPROOF...ya can even take pictures IN the shower..I have a NIKON D200..AND 18-200 if zoom with ed lens.....SWEEET but impractical for fly ins and wet west coast salt water..etc etc..but the stylus in a small pelican case..for protection from bangs and abuse...great pack in camera.

Steven

johnes50
06-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I bought a Panasonic-Lumix DMC-FZ30 digital camera last year after someone, I think Darren, said that's what he used for all his great pictures. All the pictures posted in my gallery are taken with this camera.

It has a 12x optical zoom at 8meg, but goes to 19x at 3meg. I have a 2meg digital card in it and it can take a ton of pictures on one card and movies as well.

It can do more then I know how to do and is simple to learn how to use. It's not pocket size, but it's smaller than my Canon SLR film camera.

Now if they only made a 10x pocket size digital camera under $200.00 I'd be happy. John

Sitkaspruce
06-02-2007, 03:48 PM
I bought the Olympus 760 a couple of months ago. Weather resistant, not proof, but works in the rain and wet weather just fine. Also an all metal body which holds up fine. I have a small camera case and a larger pelican for fly-in or boat-in travel. Only complant is the back screen sucks in bright weather, can barely make out what you are taking a picture of. Cheap as you can find them for around $260.

Tarp Man
06-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Make sure you check out the Pentax W30. Waterproof, lots of preset modes and a great movie and macro option for close ups. i have been very happy with mine. Over on www.flybc.ca, it seems to be the camera of choice of flyfishers.

300mag
06-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I have the pentax optio 6.0 WPI for my hunting camera. It works awesome. Ihighly recommend

Mik
06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm no camera expert but IMO get a camera that uses double AA's and the smaller the better(Size & weight matter when you're hiking up a mountain). Most small cameras are in the 5-7 Mega Pixel range anyways & if most of your pics are gonna be 5x7 in size then thats all you need. If you plan to enlarge them,then the more Mega Pixels the better. SLR camers are harder to pack.I use the Kodak easyshare CX7525-point'n'shoot 5 Mp. paid around 100 bucks at Excess Cargo 2 yrs ago and still works great, but in this dayn-age its time to upgrade to a smaller camera.I also have the older Canon G1- bought years ago for $1200 when they first came out.It takes excellent photos, however its even bigger/bulkier and uses a rechargeable battery which sucks(especially in the cold), so it stays in the truck. After all this I'm now leaning to buy the Olympus stylus 770SW.

Phil
06-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Cannon Powershot A540. Has many of the features previously mentioned. Work well for me.

boxhitch
06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Make sure you check out the Pentax W30. Waterproof, .
That sells it for me. Moisture kills DC's quickly, and permanently

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I've got a Casio Exilm 5MP. It's just a bit bigger than a pack of smokes. Awesome on batteries! I aways hear of DC's chewing up batteries. Not this one. The Exilms come with a rechargable battery with docking station. I can take ~200 high resolution pics without needing to recharge. In fact, I've never had a low battery warming in the two yrs that I've owned the camera. Great for backpacking! It's not weather resistant like some but I've had success slipping it into a ziplock.

I read a review of minidigitals a couple of months ago and the Casio Exilms were 2 of the top 3 cameras reviewed.
Mine only has a 3x optical zoom which isn't the best for wildlife pics but it's plenty of camera once they're on the ground:wink:.

You can pick up a 7 or 8MP for $250 these days.

SSS

bigwhiteys
06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I've got a Sony DSC-W50 6.0 megapixel with 3x Optical Zoom. It's tiny and runs off a rechargable battery pack. I wasn't worried so much about the optical zoom as my Video Camera has a 20x optical zoom and can take stills as well. I pack both with me when hunting.

Like SSS, I haven't had any issues with the battery running low, even in Cold Weather and I can take a few hundred high res pics. The camera fits into a little case that attaches to my pack strap, so it sits in front of me and easy access at all times.

I had a gift certificate good at the Sony Store so that influenced my choice a little :)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

TBark
06-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I like my Sony W35, 7.0 mp same as the W50, but a smaller screen.

TBark